Lore wise, would a norn engineer make sense?

in Norn

Posted by: zero.5316

zero.5316

I like my characters having a reasonable lore friendly bio, that said Im stuck deciding between a Norn Engineer and an Asuran engineer ( It works xD). But how would a Norn go on as an engineer? I find it hard to see a Viking being an engineer :P Can anyone enlighten me? Its hard to pass on tattoos and lycanthropy

in Norn

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

You find it hard to see a Viking being an Engineer?! Errrr… How do you think longboats where made, by rats running around chewing trees and gluing them together? :p

There’s plenty of things in the Norn society that require “engineering”. Maybe not in our modern sense of the word, but more in the building and designing sense. Have you seen the houses in Hoelbrak? They arent exactly simple. Hell you’d probably need an high engineer degree today to even attempt building something like that, alot of math, calculations and/or experience is required or the houses would collapse. Its not hard to imagine a Norn craftsman deciding to start making more elaborate stuff for warfare, thus turning into an “engineer”.

Lets not forget the simple fact that a young Norn could easily have looked at the Charr and been impressed, thinking “OMG I WANT TO BUILD TANKS TOO!”.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

in Norn

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

“The People of Tyria have seen it in combat over the past few years and have seen the effectiveness of an engineer. And so you are going to see Engineers of all races” http://www.wartower.de/artikel/artikel.php?id=562

Enginers are combat orientated. Norn are renouned for their love of combat. Everyone has their own interests and not everyone can be a steriotype. That would be boring.

in Norn

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

My Engineer is a Norn. His dream is to make his legend by building a far greater lodge than the one in Hoelbrak. He travels and experiments and does architectural work on a smaller scale, all aimed at making what would essentially be a norn-style arcology.

Sometimes that means fiddling with smaller gadgetry, as in his attempts to design long-lasting light sources that instead resulted in explosive beer kegs …

in Norn

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

What people need to understand is that Norns aren’t Vikings, they are Norns.
Norns seek to become a legend, no matter or what, if a Norn decide that become an engineer would help him to reach his goals, then he will do it.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Norn

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

And being an engineer doesn’t mean he has to build complex machinery.

Your norn could be a blacksmith or an alchemist/pharmacist or just very good at applying knowledge and improvising, like the Seabees or combat engineers.

Ash: Don’t touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn’t understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in Norn

Posted by: zero.5316

zero.5316

Yeah… I see my naivety on this lol They do make perfect sense in this… always saw norn as barbarians :x

in Norn

Posted by: xXxOrcaxXx.9328

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

I like my characters having a reasonable lore friendly bio, that said Im stuck deciding between a Norn Engineer and an Asuran engineer ( It works xD). But how would a Norn go on as an engineer? I find it hard to see a Viking being an engineer :P Can anyone enlighten me? Its hard to pass on tattoos and lycanthropy

You can throw bombs all day! Or use the flamethrower!

Ranger - Guardian - Warrior - Elementalist - Necromancer - Mesmer
EU Elona Reach – Void Sentinels

in Norn

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

Just imagine a giant buff MacGyver in woad.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast