Norn necromancer?

Norn necromancer?

in Norn

Posted by: Galil.1469

Galil.1469

So I was playing the Guard the Mists quest on my ranger and saw this. Out of all the races I would had never expected somebody to say necromancers would be honorable.

From my own research on what legendaries I wanted if I play a necromancer[howler and Frostfang], I think they better fit the look of norn rather than other races. Is there any reason why I shouldn’t be a norn necromancer?

[sub]Now the question is, male or female.[/sub]

Attachments:

Norn necromancer?

in Norn

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

“They die like flies.”

Best reason to play a male Norn Necromancer. XD

Mind you, female Norn Necromancers are so rare that I’ve never heard one say her lines for minions before!

Norn necromancer?

in Norn

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Nothing says necromancers can’t be honorable or noble, especially in GW where they are socially acceptable. :P

Norn necromancer?

in Norn

Posted by: Ladyhellfire.1368

Ladyhellfire.1368

When my female Norn Necro raises up a minion, she says “go fodder go!” cracks me up.

Norn necromancer?

in Norn

Posted by: Haaznahnuff.1907

Haaznahnuff.1907

There’s a norn necromancer in Godslost Swamp and he’s studying lost spirits.
That’s the point of the highly mystic norns, I think. Those necromancers act as shamans of all spirits (remember that everything living is part of a common spirit), the searchers and teachers of the interweaving between the Myst, the spirits and the ancestors. It’s a very noble, and useful profession indeed.
(What would be the “game” profession of the havrouns by the way? Guardians, elementalists?)

Norn necromancer?

in Norn

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

both of my norn are necromancers. necromancers struck me as the most ‘melee’ welcome of the scholar professions. (what scholars professions have you heard that walk around with a big clunky axe? mesmers have their swords/rapiers but really, an axe.)

Norn necromancer?

in Norn

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

One thing to keep in mind about necromancers is they are not seen as inherently evil.

Just like control of the elements, it’s just another school for magic.

It’s HOW that magic is used that determines “good” or “evil”.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

Norn necromancer?

in Norn

Posted by: Ramethzero.3785

Ramethzero.3785

The necromancer RPG trope that is ‘evil’ is just that. A trope.
Historical necromancers from ancient greek civilizations were actually formed out of honourable ideals, ie – giving a family closure about death and the dead.

People seem REALLY quick these days to play up the Trope and completely be ignorant of its historical counterpart.

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

Norn necromancer?

in Norn

Kalavier.1097

Historical necromancers from ancient greek civilizations were actually formed out of honourable ideals, ie – giving a family closure about death and the dead.

People seem REALLY quick these days to play up the Trope and completely be ignorant of its historical counterpart.

Never knew that. But yeah, people cling to stereotypes instead of reason.

GW necromancers hit both ends of the area, good and bad. Why I loved GW1 actually, it had necromancers, this “EVIL magic”, and then went “Eh, who cares?” Sure, maybe not fully understood or accepted, but not treated as evil and vile.

Norn necromancer?

in Norn

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Never knew that. But yeah, people cling to stereotypes instead of reason.

GW necromancers hit both ends of the area, good and bad. Why I loved GW1 actually, it had necromancers, this “EVIL magic”, and then went “Eh, who cares?” Sure, maybe not fully understood or accepted, but not treated as evil and vile.

Even in GW1, necromancy wasn’t an ‘evil’ thing. It hinged on the individual.

Necromancers do have a greater tendency to go off the deep end. By having mastery of death, you also by extension have a certain bit of control over life. Mortality.

Something of a god complex is easy to develop.

Death is a powerful thing to wield mastery over, and many people are corrupted by power.

Norn necromancer?

in Norn

Kalavier.1097

I know, I was meaning more all other realms call necromancy evil, and GW1 went “Eh, who cares? It’s how it is used.” :P

GW1 vet and one of my mains in it (and my main in Gw2) is a necromancer.

Norn necromancer?

in Norn

Posted by: drkonus.5084

drkonus.5084

One thing to keep in mind about necromancers is they are not seen as inherently evil.

Just like control of the elements, it’s just another school for magic.

It’s HOW that magic is used that determines “good” or “evil”.

Agreed, a Norn Necromancer could be seen as a shaman. Makes sense.

Norn necromancer?

in Norn

Posted by: Garm.9750

Garm.9750

Yep, I always thought about my norn necro as about a shaman. My character looks more like a norn shaman, rather than this typical dark-greenish stereotype.

Norn necromancer?

in Norn

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

My character looks more like a norn shaman, rather than this typical dark-greenish stereotype.

Ah yeah .. also these “dark evil” necromancers all the time .. say hello to my “angelic” necro

Attachments:

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Norn necromancer?

in Norn

Posted by: Anmida.4058

Anmida.4058

I main an asura necromancer; And contrary to popular belief, he is in fact my most hero-complexed character of my roster.
Necromancy, at least as Guild Wars 2 strives to make note of, is something the average person considers unsettling, but also reveres for their mysticism. While the average necromancer presented in the setting is generally stoic and generally blunt (See: Arya Venom, Trahearne), it is clear by both of these characters themselves that necromancy doesn’t condition personalities inherently. Specially due to the influence of Grenth in the setting itself.
Arya goes as far as to summon sentient flesh golems from the remains of tortured civilians killed by a centaur “necromancer”, so they will have satisfaction in killing him themselves.

Be a hero, save the people… even if it means riding a stitched corpse of your friends into battle.

Attachments: