Rate the Norn Name Above You

in Norn

Posted by: SpocktimusPrime.5781

SpocktimusPrime.5781

Otama doesn’t sound all that Nornish (or norse) to me, but Ulfdis is nice. Ulfhildr would be more of a first name I think (beautiful wolf if I’m not too mistaken) but also sounds right. 5 for the first name and 10 for the surname, I think.

I love the norns and have two:
Embla Rimgalder (ranger, though the surname means something like frost spells – I guess she has some magic roots :P)
Disa Rúndottir (guardian but again with a name that implies a bit of magic connection – which I guess she has since guardians are good healers… The ´ is only there to not make me think of the word run instead of rune…)

I will leave the name rating to someone else, since i have already rated and been rated, but i just wanted to link the site that i had gotten Ótama from, i dunno how reliable the websites info is, but it was what i went with!

http://www.nordicnames.de/wiki/%C3%93tamR

in Norn

Posted by: Vanadis.8147

Vanadis.8147

Actually I think it’s reliable. I just didn’t recognise the basic form otam… duh. It’s like so different from Otama? lol

But I’ll amend my vote to a 10/10

in Norn

Posted by: Alkonium.9164

Alkonium.9164

Embla Rimgalder – 9/10 Rangers do actually get some attacks that deal frost damage.
Disa Rúndottir 10/10 – Again, Guardians are considered casters anyway.

Again, mine are Idgrod Sthairdottir and Thor Bartilson

in Norn

Posted by: Mara.6782

Mara.6782

My warrior norn name is Morten Smashgood name has little GW1 reference.

in Norn

Posted by: Lorenz.8653

Lorenz.8653

Lorenz Snjórson

I love Igrod Sthairdottir !^^ Epic name!

EDIT: Oooops! Completely missed you with Morten xD

Cool name, but I don’t get the reference? :I

(edited by Lorenz.8653)

in Norn

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

Sounds like a mix of spanish and nordic and Snjórson is not something that floats well on my tounge (or however you say it).
I’ll give it 6/10

My ranger’s name: Zhörgen (with the G pronounced as the G in “Rag”)

in Norn

Posted by: Invictorum.7643

Invictorum.7643

I like it, Solrik.

7/10 only because the name seems a bit off.

My norn’s name is Bjorn Skullslayer

in Norn

Posted by: supa suop.8026

supa suop.8026

The first part of the name is good, but I have a problem with the surname/title. It sounds a bit silly to me to see a norn going “slaying” skulls in crypts.

6.5/10

My norn is a thief that goes by the name Bruam Nottmoor.

[SoS] PvX Thief,
The world could use more S/x Thief
FIST FLURRY! ORA!!

(edited by supa suop.8026)

in Norn

Posted by: Katakari.8490

Katakari.8490

8/10
I am especially a fan of the surname!

My new Norn warrior: Jormyr Cindersmith

in Norn

Posted by: Dishy.3168

Dishy.3168

7/10
I love the first name a lot but I personally don’t like surnames :>

My Norn mesmer name is Zaña

in Norn

Posted by: Needletail.6783

Needletail.6783

6/10 – Only because Zana with an accented N sounds more Mesmery than Nornish, but it’s a mighty fine name either way!

My Norn’s name is Jahan Balestone

… because he is the last dying stone of White Bale, a village beyond the Far Shiverpeaks.

Jahan Balestone | Jaro Leganes | Sephyrine

~ Of monsters, and rangers.

in Norn

Posted by: justanotherpasserby.6814

justanotherpasserby.6814

6/10 – Only because Zana with an accented N sounds more Mesmery than Nornish, but it’s a mighty fine name either way!

My Norn’s name is Jahan Balestone

… because he is the last dying stone of White Bale, a village beyond the Far Shiverpeaks.

(I’m not sure whether to rate this according to how it should be pronounced, or how it would be pronounced in game. Anyway…)

I think, in both cases, it’s a good name, especially with a linkage to your character’s back story. However, did he adopt the name after he left is village for nondescript reason or was it his name from before?

Mine is Sygni Gudrune… The name’s a misspelling of two of my favorite characters in Norse mythology (Signy and Gudrun, the sister and wife of Sigurd), so… I am sorry for whoever reviews this.

in Norn

Posted by: Spudfuzz.6185

Spudfuzz.6185

Can’t say I know much about Norse mythology, but it sounds like a Norn enough name for me. 9/10

Personally I’m not entirely creative with names, I only set a minimum standard for meeting cultural lore.

Fjorä ~ Female Norn mesmer

(It’s just a name I made up to sound Norn like, I dunno.)

Warmaster Ellika ~ Female Norn thief

(Ellika was named after a best friend from primary school who was Swedish. The ‘Warmaster’ addition comes from being in the vigil and someone already had the name. I prefer titles over surnames if I can’t have just one name.)

in Norn

Posted by: Ani.8473

Ani.8473

I like Fjorä, although I would like Fjöra more for a Norn. One point less for this and two less for the missing last name (that feels like really needed in that short name) makes 7/10
Ellika sounds great but the warmaster is so kinda usual that it ends at 7/10 score too.

My female norn ele is called: Hroony Eisiefeir

Leader of [EoL] Evolution of Loneliness – http://eol.notjustfor.me/ :)

in Norn

Posted by: Necropolis.6017

Necropolis.6017

Ginna V Golian
Golian is inspired from Goliath, since Norn is a giant race
V makes it somewhat noble. German middle name Von usually inherit from noble family and also V has multiple other symbolic meanings, like victory or anarchy
I was thinking about Jin, but that doesn’t sound female enough, moreover Ginna May origin from Scandinavia or Germany which makes it quite Norn.

in Norn

Posted by: Irobi.9340

Irobi.9340

Very nice!

Oxio Roshe

in Norn

Posted by: ChaosSgt.9713

ChaosSgt.9713

Very nice!

Oxio Roshe

9/10

Mine is Ulaan Blackaxe

Tarquin Duskmane / Anna Masovia Piast
Engineer of Ash Legion / Necromancer
Legion of Honour – Guild

in Norn

Posted by: Eudaemons.1596

Eudaemons.1596

Arja Galdurkin

Unfortunately, I realized that the -kin ending on last names is kind of…unknown how it works, so I’m going to have to figure out how to make it work without breaking lore too much. Maybe Galdur could be someone more famous than her own parents?