Posted by: Drakenvold.9761

Drakenvold.9761

Ulfrith Drakenvold

Rate the Norn Name Above You

in Norn

Posted by: Throdin.8061

Throdin.8061

Ulfrith Drakenvold

I can’t pinpoint how but I feel the last name could be improved. Otherwise the name’s very norn and awesome as a result.

Throdin Anvilfists

in Norn

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

To be honest, that sounds more like a Dwarf name, but it’s still suitable for a Norn.

Velda Frostborn.

(Velda’s background story is that her father is a Son of Svanir, and she took up the appellation as a nod to her heritage, determined not to try and hide it from others while still seeking to forge her own legend.

That said, I wish I could change her last name now to “Grimmsdottir”, after seeing the number of Norn around with similar last names. I always liked the “dottir” portion of Nordic names.)

in Norn

Posted by: Sorin.6713

Sorin.6713

To be honest, that sounds more like a Dwarf name, but it’s still suitable for a Norn.

Velda Frostborn.

(Velda’s background story is that her father is a Son of Svanir, and she took up the appellation as a nod to her heritage, determined not to try and hide it from others while still seeking to forge her own legend.

That said, I wish I could change her last name now to “Grimmsdottir”, after seeing the number of Norn around with similar last names. I always liked the “dottir” portion of Nordic names.)

Pretty solid, though you’re right that Grimmsdottir would sound better.

As for mine, Muninn Hrafnsson. Necromancer aligned with Raven.

Literal meaning would be Memory, son of Raven. Named after one of Odin’s ravens (Huginn and Muninn, Thought and Memory) in norse mythology.

in Norn

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Muninn Hrafnsson: I like it.

I know they are based off Norse archtypes but i saw the “war paint” option in the tatoo and took that like an invitation for creative liscense. Made mine a Native American theme named “Big Elk”. I don’t care if you disagree ;P

My reasoning is that in the 250 years that they have moved south, some tribes may easily have taken customs similar to Native Americans. We have the “war paint” and the darker skin tones, after all. I also when with the long hair over the mohawk.

in Norn

Posted by: MinkoAk.7049

MinkoAk.7049

Big Elk : That’s actually pretty cool, but my Norn would never leave you alone with this because she would be convinced it is only a surname :P

My Norn’s called Sigrún Lonewolf. It actually makes sense with her background, since she is pretty weird in her on way but still follows Wolf.

in Norn

Posted by: bosunmcshiny.8619

bosunmcshiny.8619

My Norn’s called Sigrún Lonewolf.

Nice one – sounds very norny.

Mine’s called Gelra Noar – Vaguely nordic, but in hindsight I could have done better.

in Norn

Posted by: Arsenal.2601

Arsenal.2601

Does sound vaguely Nordic. I like “Gelra” as a first name better than “Noar” as the last.

I have several Norn. But I’ll throw this one out there:

Anakka Svaarblade.

Lots of letters, particulary “A”

“I’m always achieving greatness!”

(edited by Arsenal.2601)

in Norn

Posted by: Ramethzero.3785

Ramethzero.3785

I’m a fan of viking history. My family comes all the way from Denmark. Anakka Svaarblade sounds spot on. Very old icelandic. I give it a 10/10.

Brise Svärdvind. Its swedish in origin. I actually had someone in game ask me if I was swedish IRL.

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

in Norn

Posted by: Lurock Turoth.9085

Lurock Turoth.9085

Brise Svardvind is pretty nice.

Ive always been a big one for ancient Rome so my Norn is Mithraic after Mithras the Roman/Greek/Persian warriors god, not exactly Nordic but shes a warrior with with a Vigil helm so it fits!

Angst Hex, [FLOT] BG Havoc/Roaming
http://www.twitch.tv/disasterdrew

in Norn

Posted by: ROMzombie.5196

ROMzombie.5196

“Bearson” is my Norn Warrior. ^.^

in Norn

Posted by: Undeadkemea.4865

Undeadkemea.4865

Bearson, I like the sound of that aswell! Fitting for a warrior but I am found wanting for a surname to go with that :P

I have 3 characters on 80:
Guardian Thorvald Spiritlord
Thief Thorgar Shadebeast
Necromancer Nurgle Priest Thor

Currently playing the necromancer a lot and thinking he will be my main but yeah…for warhammer players the name is obvious :P I couldn’t put anything longer in the name and I try to have Thor in my names to be recognised easier by friends and guildies

in Norn

Posted by: Red Jay.2516

Red Jay.2516

Stigandr The Exile

I apologize for the overused title, I just happen to not like surnames for my norn characters and Stigandr alone was in use already. The Exile was the first thing that occurred to me. I’ll probably change it the moment I got a chance. Or might incorporate into his backstory. Not sure yet.

in Norn

Posted by: Mrowqa.3861

Mrowqa.3861

Pretty good name, sounds like a name for strong tought Norn!

As I love overall dragons, and norn fit into this lore as they are struggling with them etc.
I named my female norn after a dragon :

Elesseräth

The “ä” is there as cosmetic addition instead of “a”

in Norn

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

A good name; sounds nicely Celtic, although not Nordic in particular. Although if you can point to a Nordic source for it, I’ll eat that comment.

Ulfri Stórrbrjóst

translation (probably with murdered grammar, but Old Norse is a dead language so who knows anyway): Wolf the Large-Breasted

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

(edited by Rhyse.8179)

in Norn

Posted by: Urnathok.4862

Urnathok.4862

That’s pretty fantastic. ‘Course, I’m a sucker for ‘U’ names. Good mix of sounding sufficiently Norse and being hard to pronounce. Points for the translation, too.

Yngva Brotsjór (Icelandic for ‘breaker’, like a breaker wave)

in Norn

Posted by: Aerick Blackmoore.8167

Aerick Blackmoore.8167

That’s a good name too! Mine’s called Braegir, no real menaing to it as far as I can tell. Plus it’s fun hearing ppl over voice chat trying to pronounce it.

in Norn

Posted by: Ebonlas.6758

Ebonlas.6758

Braegir… I have to say, I’m a fan of ‘ae’ sounds and to a lesser extent, ‘ir’ sounds, so in my books, you’ve got a great name, there. Could use some kind of second name, though.

Eanna Everstorm is my female norn Guardian. ‘Everstorm’ is more of an earned heroic title than a surname of any kind (In her backstory, her original name was Ingridsdottir).

“All the truth in the world is held in stories.”

in Norn

Posted by: Afternoon.8236

Afternoon.8236

Eanna Everstorm is my female norn Guardian. ‘Everstorm’ is more of an earned heroic title than a surname of any kind (In her backstory, her original name was Ingridsdottir).

I really like that name and I also think it fits a female norn pretty well (since some norn tend to give themself titles rather than surnames).

My female norn Warrior is called Erja Springborn. I chose Springborn as surname, because Erja was born in Spring (kinda easy to guess haha).

in Norn

Posted by: Slanty Pete.9052

Slanty Pete.9052

Erja Springborn definitely sounds like a battleborn warrior!

My male norn warrior is named Gringihs. Not sure why I named him that but it seemed to fit his characteristics of being a giant.

in Norn

Posted by: Avatar Rage.4369

Erja Springborn definitely sounds like a battleborn warrior!

My male norn warrior is named Gringihs. Not sure why I named him that but it seemed to fit his characteristics of being a giant.

Gringihs, fine Norn name it stands alone like like a mountain.

Thornir Snorrason, I am Thornir son of Snorri!

in Norn

Posted by: baalblade.8465

baalblade.8465

SKYRIM

Yup you heard me

in Norn

Posted by: Saidor.7028

Saidor.7028

I used to be called SKYRIM but then…….. you know the rest…..

Huetred. No second name as i neither know when or how you get them.

in Norn

Posted by: Ulviden.3187

Ulviden.3187

Valgarde Svalkin

Huetred is a pretty interesting name for a norn, almost sounds like Hatred.
Also when I think of Huetred, i see a Norn tracker treading through the snowy plains of the shiverpeaks.

Valbarde – (Norn Necromancer) -
Tarnished Coast

in Norn

Posted by: Florgknight.1589

Florgknight.1589

Auri Snowsong, a warrior who dances through combat rather than brute forcing it.

@Ulviden, I like it, has the V and K sounds you would expect, nice bit of cacaphony there.

in Norn

Posted by: Thelen.6325

Thelen.6325

Snowsong is a good norn last name, all the NPC seem to have ones like that

Thelen Hammerhand

in Norn

Posted by: Matsume.8013

Matsume.8013

Thelen Hammerhand is decent… however, Hammerhand sounds like a dwarf name but I suppose it fits into the lore considering the descent of the norn into Dwarf territory.

My female norn thief goes by the name of Freyja Folkvangr.

In norse mythology, Freyja is a goddess associated with love, beauty, fertility, gold, sorcery, war and death. Her brother, father, mother and herself are all part of the Vanir, gods associated with fertility, wisdom and the ability to see the future.

Folkvangr is the heavenly afterlife field over which Freyja rules, where she recieves half of the souls that die in battle while the other half are sent to Odin’s hall, Valhalla. Within Folkvangr can be found Freyjas hall Sessrumnir.

Due to her recieving half of those lost in battle it would seem she is connected to the valkyries, those who choose who will die in battle and be sent to Valhalla and Sessrumnir.

If any of you have some time look up Norns on wikipedia.

in Norn

Posted by: Xyvius.1679

Xyvius.1679

Freyja Folkvangr is a great sounding Norse name.

My norn warrior’s name is The Immortal King.

in Norn

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Nice names here!

The Immortal King sounds like a good round of boasting and is in my eyes therefore norn approved

My male Guardian – Eilaf, no last name.

My female Thief – Grima Hildr (grima=masked, hildr=battle/fight, also the name of a valkyrie)

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Norn

Posted by: vysaek.8290

vysaek.8290

Eilaf… Souns like he likes spending time telling stories about his adventures in the tabern!
Grima Hildr. I like it, you gave it meaning to the name

Flamegeneer – Arven Wolfskin

in Norn

Posted by: Beyreva.8769

Beyreva.8769

Arven Wolfskin. I like it, sounds good.

Female Ranger: Gunnr Ulfrdottir (Gunnr, daughter of Wolf); Guardian spirit: Wolf.
Gunnr is also the name of a Valkyrie in Norse Mythology.

Sometimes it’s necessary listening to the silence, it could tell more..

in Norn

Posted by: Mechos.5640

Mechos.5640

Arven Wolfskin. Not bad, though not sure on ‘Arven’. I dunno, just doesn’t sit right; I guess because I mentally read it as someone saying ‘Arwen’ with a stereotypical German accent.

And now, to open myself up to criticism: Thorvald Ironclad.

in Norn

Posted by: Vey.8314

Vey.8314

I like it, definitely sounds Norny to me, moreso than my Ranger.

Arya Ivorywolf – Formerly: Arya Tennfjord, but she took the name of her clan as her own, as its last surviving member.

Arya Ivorywolf – 80 Norn Ranger
Veyera – 80 Human Elementalist
Leader of the Ivorywolf Clan [Maguuma]

in Norn

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

I like it, definitely sounds Norny to me, moreso than my Ranger.

Arya Ivorywolf – Formerly: Arya Tennfjord, but she took the name of her clan as her own, as its last surviving member.

I like the first name a lot. The surname is kind of a mouthful for me. But i love wolves

Mine is: Estel Wolfheart

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

in Norn

Posted by: BrotherDoggie.8925

BrotherDoggie.8925

I like the first name a lot. The surname is kind of a mouthful for me. ButMine is: Estel Wolfheart

This is something I see a lot in GW2, for both npcs and players. :V It’s the formula of: ‘random name + two-words’. I also like to consider myself as a half and half roleplayer and average player, so when I see things that seem out of place within the world a part of me has a twitch. At the very least, Wolfheart appears in the normal for Norn, so points there. Estel seems out of place though. <_< Elven, sort of? Not something I’d want some supertall, strong norn to be named, but that’s my personal opinion.

As for my own Norn, I named myself Wulfjarl Skjaldson.

in Norn

Posted by: Blademan.6431

Blademan.6431

Impressive list of names above me.Wulfjarl Skjaldson sounds like a name not to be messed with. I recognise the word jarl which I believe is like ‘Lord’ as in ‘yes my jarl’ so possibly a Wolf Lord son of Skjald – pretty cool.

For me one of my female characters a Norn hunter/huntress I’ve named Sigdis Odinsdottir which means if my translation is any good Sigdis (victorious woman) Odinsdottir(daughter of Odin) well I like it if nobody else does.

in Norn

Posted by: Oenomaus.6413

Oenomaus.6413

Sigdis Odinsdottir is a very good name, very true to the norn heritage, and i too aprove of all above-mentioned names.. Gotta love dat norse :p

My norn which is a warrior(how original of me, i know :L), is called Rhogar Tribeclaw
I wanted to create something which was different from the norse culture, but still fitting. Since i myself am of norse heritage, i dont like naming them with ö, and bjorn and such, since i can relate to much to it in common day…

in Norn

Posted by: Oenomaus.6413

Oenomaus.6413

Sigdis Odinsdottir is a very good name, very true to the norn heritage, and i too aprove of all above-mentioned names.. Gotta love dat norse :p

My norn which is a warrior(how original of me, i know :L), is called Rhogar Tribeclaw
I wanted to create something which was different from the norse culture, but still fitting. Since i myself am of norse heritage, i dont like naming them with ö, and bjorn and such, since i can relate to much to it in real life… call me strange lol

in Norn

Posted by: Dafid.8521

Dafid.8521

Hmm… Rhogar Tiberclaw is a nice name. The first name starting with “R” represents might which is fitting for a norn.

My warrior’s name (yeah original but you havent seen everything yet xD) is Nornar. Yeah i know i was creative back then but hey… I actually got a nice story for his name xD

in Norn

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

hmm i like norna but for a female char…

Asmodarl Stronghold

in Norn

Posted by: Arsenal.2601

Arsenal.2601

A post got skipped. Let’s see if I can fix this …

Beyreva.8769

Male warrior: Eric Bjornson (Eric, son of Bear); Guardian spirit: Bear.
Female Ranger: Gunnr Ulfrdottir (Gunnr, daughter of Wolf); Guardian spirit: Wolf.
Gunnr is also the name of a Valkyrie in Norse Mythology.

Solid names. I particularly like the Female Ranger’s name – Gunnr Ulfrdottir “Daughter of Wolf” seems a particularly fitting Norn name.

Ok, now someone comment on:

Asmodal.6489
hmm i like norna but for a female char…
Asmodarl Stronghold

“I’m always achieving greatness!”

(edited by Arsenal.2601)

in Norn

Posted by: Lyndon.6891

Lyndon.6891

Svartr Fjorlag – Black Death

I wanted to replace Fjorlag with Mein (which means plague) but Fjorlag sounds better. He is a necromancer by the way.

in Norn

Posted by: Greiwulf.6178

Greiwulf.6178

Svartr Fjorlag – sounds like a solid norn name.

Mine is “Arnbjorn Vanaheimir”

in Norn

Posted by: Lyndon.6891

Lyndon.6891

Arnbjorn Vanaheimir
Nice name there, reminds me of those Norse gods.

Bjorn means bear, I am seeing a lot of norn names with it.

If anyone would like to create a defensive warrior, Jarn Bjorn will be good. It means “Iron Bear”.

in Norn

Posted by: Dagimus.5789

Dagimus.5789

Lyndon, why no name with your reply?! I’ll begin again……. like to hear it, hear it go..

Djornak Bjornson – Norn Ranger

Knok Ulfson – The half footed engineer

oh….. and the D is silent!

in Norn

Posted by: Thia.4891

Thia.4891

9/10 Very nice! And, more importantly, very Norn!

Mine is Sigurdis Mooneyes – She is Ranger from Snow Leopard lodge. I figured since Snow Leopard favors independence that she would take her own name instead of ’X’dottir or something. Also, Sigurdis means “Victorious Women”, but her non-Norn friends just call her Sig for short. Her pets are Ronja the snow leopard, Tyto the snow owl and Sawtooth the shark.

(Sigurdas MoonEyes and Ronja) (Myrin Crowneguarde) (Yarza Steelfang) (Luqq) (Nevnia)

in Norn

Posted by: Synthetic.8605

Synthetic.8605

Love it, sounds so strong. Care to join me at the next moot?
—————
Any "j"s involved are of course used as a “y” sound. All names involve German (love that language).
:D

Saalnji Stahl Bauch- Saalnji Steel-Stomach*- Guardian
Saalnji Der Schlau- Saalnji the Smart* – Necromancer
Saal der Reizvoll- Saal the Charming* – Ranger
Salfahr der Reizen- Salfahr the Charming*- Thief

*Not guaranteed to be exact translations, likely to be synonyms.

Saalnjor, level 80.
Skills of a Warrior, courage of a Thief.

(edited by Synthetic.8605)

in Norn

Posted by: Fobik.5908

Fobik.5908

My norn is a female guardian i named her Larisel Elian ^.^ Larisel because in norse mythology they got stories of humans intermarrying with elves so thats why it sounds elfish and elian is a variated form of the swedish girls name Elin so i guess shes half norn half elf ,hehe

in Norn

Posted by: Ralistu.1965

Ralistu.1965

I like how it sounds and I like how you came up with it

my Norn guardian is named

Olaf Sifhalla.

If you’ve played GuildWars 1 Eye of the North, you know how I got the name. If you haven’t played GW1…

olaf olafson (town of olafstead)—> http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Olaf_Olafson (The Guild Wars Eye of the North Manuscript)
town of Sifhalla —> http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Sifhalla (in-game discription)

The Tyrians (TT) – Darkhaven (U.S.)
Ralistu (Mesmer)/Ikotag (Thief)/Shonek Alcazia (Ele)

in Norn

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

Aetra Ironbender

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks