Bomb + Wallet + Candle + Torch???

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

I have to buy all of this crap just to get past W2-2?

Are you serious?

It was annoying I had to go back and farm stuff to get a bomb. Now I have to go back and grind coins to get a wallet just so I can go back and grind enough coins to buy a torch?

No thanks. That’s not fun, that’s just a PITA.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Congratulations, you’re now learning what was mandatory in older videogames!

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Thedenofsin.7340

Congratulations, you’re wrong.

That kind of stuff was not mandatory in older games. If I needed an item to progress, I had to go get it. That usually meant running a dungeon or completing puzzles or what-not. I didn’t have to go grind out money over and over.

I didn’t have to grind money to get my weapons in Zelda, or my keys in Adventure, or my power-ups in Mario. This is just dumb.

(edited by Thedenofsin.7340)

Posted by: Chrisplosion.3756

Chrisplosion.3756

How dare they not hand you the level on a silver platter, those kittens! Dwayna forbid you have to actually do something to progress.

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

You can get a buddy with a torch to melt the ice in zone 3 for you, if you know anyone. Otherwise yeah, you’ll need the 250 bauble wallet for the 400 baubles for the torch. The candle’s free in W1-2, though.

Thedenofsin.7340

How dare they not hand you the level on a silver platter, those kittens! Dwayna forbid you have to actually do something to progress.

Make it a skill-based check and not a herpa-kitten -I’m-a-grind-monkey check. Heaven forbid they make you actually have a modicum of talent and not hours to kitten away grinding currency.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

That kind of stuff was not mandatory in older games. If I needed an item to progress, I had to go get it. That usually meant running a dungeon or completing puzzles or what-not. I didn’t have to go grind out money over and over.

Actually, certain things you DID have to pay for in the older games…I’m looking at a certain Castlevania game as an example. <_<

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Chrisplosion.3756

Chrisplosion.3756

Make it a skill-based check and not a herpa-kitten -I’m-a-grind-monkey check. Heaven forbid they make you actually have a modicum of talent and not hours to kitten away grinding currency.

If it takes you “hours” to get the baubles you need, you are doing it wrong.

Thedenofsin.7340

Actually, certain things you DID have to pay for in the older games…I’m looking at a certain Castlevania game as an example. <_<

I played 1,2,3 and 4 and only remember 2 ever giving you the options to buy upgrades. But you never had to grind for them – by the time you came across the upgrade you had enough hearts to get it. And the upgrades were not mandatory to progress. Hell I finished Castlevania 2 in about 6 hours on my first play through without grinding for anything.

(edited by Thedenofsin.7340)

Posted by: Kagamiku.9731

Kagamiku.9731

You don’t really need the wallet. Once you get 250 baubles simply move it over to your bank and repeat. Once you have the baubles needed move them all back to your inventory.

Posted by: Vermillion.1429

Vermillion.1429

Want to run a dungeon to get the wallet/torch? Do Trib mode 1-1 and 1-2, each rewards roughly 300 baubles. Huzzah. Thats a hard dungeon and it gets you it instantly.

That or you can farm secrets for it, your choice. It takes an entire run of World 1 normal (~25min) to get 250 baubles ordinarily.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

You should have 250 baubles easily after finishing zone 1, 2 and 3 in world 1 in normal mode. In zone 3 you can buy the first purse extender. As a matter of fact, I got 720 baubles yesterday after cleaning zone 1 and 2 and two dig spots in zone 3 (yeay for the second purse extender!) and then another 450 (or so) after finishing zone 3. Would have been 500 if I had gotten a key to the second chest…

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You don’t need the wallet. As long as you enter SAB with all of your baubles, you can use them all. For example, if I were to enter SAB with 5 stacks of baubles, it would show a max of 999 on the UI but I can continue to make purchases. The only thing is that I cannot gain baubles above the bag capacity.

You only need the torch (400 baubles) for the ice walls and bomb (225 baubles?) for the ice pillars. You absolutely can get by without everything else. Candle and the glove are irrelevant as you get those for free.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

You should have 250 baubles easily after finishing zone 1, 2 and 3 in world 1 in normal mode. In zone 3 you can buy the first purse extender. As a matter of fact, I got 720 baubles yesterday after cleaning zone 1 and 2 and two dig spots in zone 3 (yeay for the second purse extender!) and then another 450 (or so) after finishing zone 3. Would have been 500 if I had gotten a key to the second chest…

We need a thread to share dig site locations. Especially for World 2!

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

I didn’t have to grind money to get my weapons in Zelda, or my keys in Adventure, or my power-ups in Mario. This is just dumb.

Some weapons you did have to grind for in LOZ. At Least in the SAB you don’t have to buy bombs, like you did in LOZ.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Metroid .-.

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

Legend of zelda A link-to-the-past

500 rupee water flippers

your welcome

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

500 rupee water flippers

your welcome

I never had to grind for rupees, just got them playing normally. was it even possible to not have enough rupees for the flippers? I usually played rather slowly, exploring everything, so it might’ve been just my playstyle rewarding me with more than enough rupees.

I did have to grind for baubles though. after getting decent at w1z1 tribulation I just ran that a few times, as you always get the 200 baubles. it’s not too much of a hassle but still completely unecessary grind. I still need the new purse and the nunchucks but just can’t get myself to grind that much.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

500 rupee water flippers

your welcome

I never had to grind for rupees, just got them playing normally. was it even possible to not have enough rupees for the flippers? I usually played rather slowly, exploring everything, so it might’ve been just my playstyle rewarding me with more than enough rupees.

I did have to grind for baubles though. after getting decent at w1z1 tribulation I just ran that a few times, as you always get the 200 baubles. it’s not too much of a hassle but still completely unecessary grind. I still need the new purse and the nunchucks but just can’t get myself to grind that much.

No you don’t have to grind. It’s your choice to keep running w1z1 trib.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Ayrilana.1396

No you don’t have to grind. It’s your choice to keep running w1z1 trib.

cool, so I don’t need the torch either? thanks so much for your absolutely useless comment =)

No less than your comment.

Him telling you that you don’t have to grind does in no way equate to him telling you that you don’t need the torch.

Oranisagu.3706

No less than your comment.

Him telling you that you don’t have to grind does in no way equate to him telling you that you don’t need the torch.

you do realize you can’t complete w2 without the torch, which costs more baubles than you will get in a normal playthrough of w1 and w2 up to that point.
that’s exactly the difference to oldschool games like link to the past. grinding coin was nearly never part of those games.

to make the argument more clear, so nobody loses track:

• you need the upgraded torch to complete w2
  • you don’t get enough baubles to buy the upgraded torch with the baubles you get from a normal runthrough
  • grinding is necessary for getting the torch
  • vol claiming no grind is necessary to complete w2 equals the torch is not necessary to complete w2

inb4: ‘he didn’t claim it’s not necessary for w2, you just don’t have to do w2’.
yes, the choice lies with the player. don’t play the content or grind.

(edited by Oranisagu.3706)

Ayrilana.1396

Except your logic is wrong. You may feel that you have to grind but you don’t. I NEVER said you didn’t need the torch. I was just saying your logic was wrong. Getting 400 baubles is incredibly easy.

Vermillion.1429

I never had to grind once for the torch or any of the items in SAB, I got them by, shock and horror, playing the content.

It is your choice to grind to get them, you do not need to grind the one zone over and over. That is purely your choice. Playing world 1-2-3 nets you enough to get the wallet by the time you get to zone 3.

Playing any trib mode nets you enough to pretty much get the torch outright. Let alone playing them all.

Oranisagu.3706

Except your logic is wrong. You may feel that you have to grind but you don’t. I NEVER said you didn’t need the torch. I was just saying your logic was wrong. Getting 400 baubles is incredibly easy.

actually, my logic is sound – what might differ is our understanding of grind. grind is easy, I never said it’s hard.
having to repeat any part of the game to get to 400 baubles (and the 250 before to get the purse, if you don’t cheat by depositing stacks in the bank) would be grind. as it is a repetetive action to get to something, in this case baubles. nongrind would be if you can play the game normally and unlock add-ons through bossfights or whatever, like they did with the glove.

going after all digspots? sure, is easy and works (slowly). in what way would that be not a grind?

if you return to a zone without doing anything new, for the sole purpose of getting currency, I fail to see how anyone would describe that as non-grind.

I never had to grind once for the torch or any of the items in SAB, I got them by, shock and horror, playing the content.

sorry, but no. you can’t get the torch by playing the content normally. only once you start repeating stuff can you get enough baubles.

(edited by Oranisagu.3706)

Posted by: Jacks.5367

Jacks.5367

You are obviously oblivion to Zelda games. You need RUPEE to progress. And mario does not have equipment. Please don’t put compare RPG games to Action game. Just both are 8-bit games.

Ayrilana.1396

Doing something two or three times does not mean it’s a grind. If you go for achievements, you’ll have more that enough baubles. Dug spots are posted online and can be done as you do the level normally. If you rush through the zones or play on infantile then of course you’ll get less baubles since enemies usually drop food on infantile.

Your logic is wrong since the torch is required whether there is a “grind” or not. Having a grind for something does not mean its required. Likewise, not having to grind for something doesn’t mean it’s not required. You’re trying to show a relationship between two things that are unrelated.

Oranisagu.3706

Doing something two or three times does not mean it’s a grind.

repeating something for the sole purpose of getting currency is not a grind. understood.
sorry if I completely misunderstood the term, thank you for correcting me, I was fooled by my experience and wikipedia.

Grinding is a term used in video gaming to describe the process of engaging in repetitive tasks during video games.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grinding_

I’ll leave then, no reason to stay I guess, being so obviously wrong =)

Ayrilana.1396

There’s a difference from doing something 12+ times and from doing something 2-3 times. Repeating something 2-3 times is not a grind.

I’ll also point out, which has been mentioned numerous times, you can get enough baubles by just playing the game. Going for all of the achievements will net you more than enough baubles.

If you’re so against grinding, and by your definition, leveling more than one character is a grind since you’ve done it already. Killing any champion more than once is a grind. Doing any dungeon path more than once is a grind. Fractals is a grind if you do the same fractal again. Guild missions are a grind once you’ve already done them. Equipping another character with exotics is a grind but then it was already a grind since its your second character. Visiting the same area of a map again is a grind.

The point in the above paragraph was to point out that frequency is key. Just because you repeat something, does not mean its a grind. This is determined by how many times you have to repeat something. It’s been stated that you can get plenty of baubles by playing normally (not rushing) through world 1 and 2. Doing the achievements for baubles and such will give you even more baubles.

If getting 400 baubles is too much of a “grind” then perhaps SAB isn’t for you. That’s unfortunate since its a lot of fun!

Posted by: Raziel.9738

Raziel.9738

You can fill out your 750 bauble wallet with a single run of world 1. Just use a guide for dig sites and stop crying already.

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

want a skill based check? Fine. Go run tribulation mode zones 1 and 2- bunch of purple and green baubles appear around the final chest.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

Posted by: HiSaZuL.2843

HiSaZuL.2843

I dont remember a single classic game thats worth mentioning where you had to grind for anything. Except gear/pets etc. Anything required for progress was given as reward for a task.

Aslo tribulation mode is a horrid way to farm anything. You can load 2-3 and theres 2 10 babuble baubles right at the kitten start. You spend more time on loading screens then getting them.

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Had you played SAB the first time it was around, I would expect you to at least have the bombs unlocked. The wallet upgrade I could understand, but if you wanted the “minor in enhancement” achievement from world 1, you would have had the wallet as well.

As for the candle, you get one for free in W1-2.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Vermillion.1429

sorry, but no. you can’t get the torch by playing the content normally. only once you start repeating stuff can you get enough baubles.

So you are telling me that I did it wrong? Because no, I never grinded once.

I played world 1-3, bought the wallet. I then played world 1 trib mode and got enough for the torch.

Huzzah, no grinding, no repeating any content at all.

Stop whining.

Posted by: Klonex.4562

Klonex.4562

complaining over something so simple to get.
~ so you won’t have to grind as much, go to world 1 zone 1 (tribulation) at the end of that level you get an absurdly amount of baubles.

~Krystal <3 Angela ~
~ I taught cows how to Moo! ~

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

You don’t need any of these things for 2-2. You need the item you get during 2-2 to complete 2-2. Also the candle is free.

LadyRhonwyn.2501

You don’t need the wallet. As long as you enter SAB with all of your baubles, you can use them all. For example, if I were to enter SAB with 5 stacks of baubles, it would show a max of 999 on the UI but I can continue to make purchases. The only thing is that I cannot gain baubles above the bag capacity.

Hmm, didn’t know that… I never tried it as I don’t like to waste baubles :P

And are there dig sites in world 2?

Posted by: Raziel.9738

Raziel.9738

There are dig sites in every world. I’m not sure exactly how many are known so far, though. I do know there’s a lot of known dig sites for world 1. Combine those with the chests, and your wallet will be full in no time.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

the entitlement is strong in this one

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I love how 1-2hrs of work is simply too much for this crowd.

Get over this “omg I have to WORK towards something, WTF” mentality. Seriously, you guys sound ridiculous.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

I dont remember a single classic game thats worth mentioning where you had to grind for anything. Except gear/pets etc. Anything required for progress was given as reward for a task.

lol what, yes you did.
- In Zelda A Link to the Past you needed 100 Rupees to buy your bottle. You needed 500 Rupees to buy the Zora Flippers else you couldn’t progress the story.
- In Zelda: Ocarina of Time you needed to buy the Deku Shield at the start of the game for 40 Rupees.

etc…

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

LadyRhonwyn.2501

There are dig sites in every world. I’m not sure exactly how many are known so far, though. I do know there’s a lot of known dig sites for world 1. Combine those with the chests, and your wallet will be full in no time.

I know the ones in world 1. I get enough baubles to fill my twice extended purse almost twice. I only got pointed out 1 dig site in zone 1 of world 2. I’d be happy to learn of more!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I do a run through World 1 zones 1 and 2 getting some of the dig sites and chests (but definitely not all) and I end up with over 500 baubles.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Old games are old.

Where is our Everquest mana resource for this game?

We should have to meditate for 15 minutes after every mob kill.

That’s fun right? Just like having to grind pointless crap in SAB instead of just focusing on pure puzzle solving and jumping puzzles.

Player Character.9467

Old games are old.

That’s fun right? Just like having to grind pointless crap in SAB instead of just focusing on pure puzzle solving and jumping puzzles.

But the dig sites ARE puzzles, you just read a guide so you find them to be mindlessly walking to point X instead of looking at the area and thinking where they would stick one. If you had to meditate for 15 minutes, you were doing it wrong. Autoattack off, sit on a mount.

(edited by Player Character.9467)

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Old games are old.

I’m thinking Sudoku will be right up your alley.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Old games are old.

But the dig sites ARE puzzles, you just read a guide so you find them to be mindlessly walking to point X instead of looking at the area and thinking where they would stick one. If you had to meditate for 15 minutes, you were doing it wrong. Autoattack off, sit on a mount.

Dig sites are NOT puzzles lmao.

It’s finding a needle in a hay stack.

Player Character.9467

Old games are old.

Dig sites are NOT puzzles lmao.

It’s finding a needle in a hay stack.

And do you search for them in some grid checking every single possible location or by actually thinking about it?