I think Anet got it backwards.

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: Xandror.2356

Xandror.2356

Classic games were great in spite of their technical limitations. SAB is bad in spite of not having technical limitations.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Because Guild Wars 2 was designed from the ground up with SAB in mind.

Posted by: Larkir.6502

Larkir.6502

Classic games were great in spite of their technical limitations. SAB is bad in spite of not having technical limitations.

They’re trying to make a platform game within an MMORPG engine..

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

It’s bad? Darn I’ve spent 20+hrs in SAB having fun when this entire time it was bad?!?! Noooo, I must have been imagining enjoying myself!!

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Newman.6847

Newman.6847

It’s bad? Darn I’ve spent 20+hrs in SAB having fun when this entire time it was bad?!?! Noooo, I must have been imagining enjoying myself!!

Next thing you’ll tell me astounding, hard to believe theories that different people had different tastes! I too thought I had a ton of fun with SAB, but now I know I was mistaken.

Seriously though, the only things wrong with it are bugs causing people to get stuck with no means of suicide, and anet’s inability to prevent progress loss on a long level if dc-ed due to “technical reasons”, whatever that means, probably that they can’t be bothered to code this feature in for a month’s long event. Other than those I find SAB a lot of fun.

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

There is a technical limitation that really kills SAB, which they have acknowledged:

The base of the character is not in sync with with the image that players see. This makes many jumps, mostly in world 2, nerve racking because they have to be done while floating on air or with half the character clipping into a block or by slamming facefirst against ledge and teleporting on top.

You always knew exactly where Mario’s feet where. Not having good visual feedback is really damaging to the experience. This is probably not something that can be fixed, but they can design the jumps in ways that would mitigate it.

• make larger platforms
  • have jumps be slightly closer

I think that would eliminate 90% of the frustration.

(edited by Lucky.9421)

Lucky.9421

There’s always going to be someone that thinks everything is perfect. But it has been established that this release has been way less popular and seen far less activity than the previous release.

If they are to improve, they need constructive feedback.

Posted by: Larkir.6502

Larkir.6502

Seriously though, the only things wrong with it are bugs causing people to get stuck with no means of suicide

Just use the shovel to dig up a rabbit and let it kill you.

Posted by: DaMunky.6302

DaMunky.6302

Not having good visual feedback is really damaging to the experience.

We have something that’s a pretty close equivalent. Right before you fall of a ledge, your character model starts to move downwards but it’s still possible to jump. I’ve always found this to be a very reliable means of getting maximum jump distance.

Dear lord, what have I done? – Matthew Medina, Gw2 Content Designer

Lucky.9421

We have something that’s a pretty close equivalent. Right before you fall of a ledge, your character model starts to move downwards but it’s still possible to jump. I’ve always found this to be a very reliable means of getting maximum jump distance.

I never noticed this, thanks. I will test it later.

Still it is not a great situation. I think Anet needs to not be stubborn and design around their technical limitations. Josh said he was aware of this, but felt he needed to let it go in order to make the jumps more challenging. I disagree. Don’t push the limits of what the game engine can handle. It is not worth the widespread rage and inactivity.

This can be as simple and moving or widening their platforms a few feet on World 2(W1 didn’t have many such jumps). SAB would still be fun.