Infinite Continue Coin?

Infinite Continue Coin?

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Q:

So apparently this is a thing, coming to your friendly neighborhood BLTC.

Two questions, is it truly infinite and whether or not it will retain its value and function through future incarnations of SAB? (ie. any future game using “continue coin” mechanic).

Also is it only available during this patch or also during future SAB patches?

Edit: also, since this is microtransaction specific to SAB, will it retain a function after all worlds are out? (as in what will happen once the first round of SAB completes).

(edited by Crise.9401)

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: Chrisplosion.3756

Chrisplosion.3756

Um where was this ever revealed/leaked?

Infinite Continue Coin?

Crise.9401

Um where was this ever revealed/leaked?

Not leaked, just a ninja update to the release page: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/september-03-2013/#new-gem-store-items-5

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: Chrisplosion.3756

Chrisplosion.3756

Missed that, I am curious about that too now.

Infinite Continue Coin?

Crise.9401

If you ask me this is a really smart move, with Tribulation mode being designed the way it is, however, they have to be pretty careful to not have something they do completely invalidate this in the future (ie. the unlikely removal of SAB after all four worlds are out f.ex.)

It seems like the very definition of a convenience item, hope they handle it right.

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

I’m sure this will be infinite like the gathering tools they’ve released thus far. I’m sure the next time SAB comes out they’ll offer it again.

The more interesting thing though is the Transmutation Splitter item.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

Infinite Continue Coin?

Crise.9401

The more interesting thing though is the Transmutation Splitter item.

Just a quick PSA on that, from the crafting preview stream, anyone with a Legendary will get a one Transmutation Splitter for free.

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

and the trip towards P2W is one step closer…

Want to do trib mode… sorry you will need to buy this “convenience” item or spend 99% of your time grinding coins and only 1% of your time actually getting to play.

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Want to do trib mode… sorry you will need to buy this “convenience” item or spend 99% of your time grinding coins and only 1% of your time actually getting to play.

Yup

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

Have you played SAB? Continue Coins are quiet easy to get. You also don’t even need them as you can just wait a day and play again without the coin….

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

It kinda sounds like that, yup. And i don’t like it at all.

Infinite Continue Coin?

Crise.9401

Really now, the people who will play tribulation mode will likely aim for the TM specific skins or achievements… so they are unlikely to want to use baubles for anything but continue coins. Which they will also be earning more than normal mode players.

Also, continue coins are not required at all, since you can always just restart the level… and once muscle memory kicks in it won’t be such a big deal, if you absolutely hate the idea of farming for baubles. Even the regular continue coins are convenience items to an extent, since if you want to you don’t have to use them. Just a choice between checkpoint or start of the level.

Also, P2W hardly applies when it is about personal achievements… if I go through TM that does not impact you or anyone else in any way whatsoever (skins are account bound as far as we know). So if someone wants to pay for a “cheat” then let them, it is not like it will devalue your own achievements… besides the player using this will still need the skill to actually progress inside the box.

It is not a shortcut but an accelerator.

(edited by Crise.9401)

Infinite Continue Coin?

ZudetGambeous.9573

Really now, the people who will play tribulation mode will likely aim for the TM specific skins or achievements… so they are unlikely to want to use baubles for anything but continue coins. Which they will also be earning more than normal mode players.

Also, continue coins are not required at all, since you can always just restart the level… and once muscle memory kicks in it won’t be such a big deal, if you absolutely hate the idea of farming for baubles. Even the regular continue coins are convenience items to an extent, since if you want to you don’t have to use them. Just a choice between checkpoint or start of the level.

Also, P2W hardly applies when it is about personal achievements… if I go through TM that does not impact you or anyone else in any way whatsoever (skins are account bound as far as we know). So if someone wants to pay for a “cheat” then let them, it is not like it will devalue your own achievements… besides the player using this will still need the skill to actually progress inside the box.

It is not a shortcut but an accelerator.

an accelerator in time limited temporary content is P2W imo.

I will not have enough time to both farm and get the achievements unless I pay for an item. If I want to win I have to pay. That is P2W.

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Your idea of ‘’Pay 2 Win’’ is so out of the window.

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: Dash.7108

Dash.7108

P2W =/= pay for convenience

Infinite Continue Coin?

Crise.9401

an accelerator in time limited temporary content is P2W imo.

I will not have enough time to both farm and get the achievements unless I pay for an item. If I want to win I have to pay. That is P2W.

So let me rephrase, what are you winning exactly? SAB is about player achievement not some game changing loot like an ascended weapon for example (assuming they would be game changing which they hardly seem to be).

On the other hand f.ex, I did not have enough time to farm for an aetherized weapon, so I bought one on the TP. Similarly I will likely convert gold to gems to buy this item, considering all the farming from the past month that doesn’t seem like a big investment at all.

So where is the win in this pay to win of yours (or arguably even the pay, if all you are paying is in game gold).

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Have you played SAB? Continue Coins are quiet easy to get. You also don’t even need them as you can just wait a day and play again without the coin….

You don’t need them full stop last time I played.

You had 5 lives. If you run out and don’t use a continue coin. You just start again from the start. If you finish with 0 lives left. You get given a full 5 lives next time you play for free.

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

An infinite continue coin sounds pretty awesome! I’m just not sure if I’d really want to spend 800 gems on one.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Sorry, they removed that grind. You can open chests/dig up baubles only once a day (accountwide).

What a weird change especially with the introduction of the hard mode.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Infinite Continue Coin?

skullmount.1758

Sorry, they removed that grind. You can open chests/dig up baubles only once a day (accountwide).

Yeah, I’d really like to know their reason for that change. Maybe so you can’t get as much bauble, so not as much continue coins, which means more pressure to buy the infinite coin?

Also, I really hope the infinite coin isn’t soulbound. They better let us move it to different characters.

Darkhaven server

Infinite Continue Coin?

kokiman.2364

Yeah, I’d really like to know their reason for that change. Maybe so you can’t get as much bauble, so not as much continue coins, which means more pressure to buy the infinite coin?

Also, I really hope the infinite coin isn’t soulbound. They better let us move it to different characters.

The reason behind this? A.Net needs/wants to monetize every LS Update, that’s the reason.

GuildWars 2

Infinite Continue Coin?

skullmount.1758

The reason behind this? A.Net needs/wants to monetize every LS Update, that’s the reason.

Well either that, or are actually trying to force us players away from the game. I really love the game, but at some point its going to be just too much and I’m gonna be too fed up/kittened with it and just stop playing.

Darkhaven server

Infinite Continue Coin?

Crise.9401

You might be right, but more likely the reason for the change to baubles is to prevent people doing what they were doing in April which is run with a throwaway character delete, recreate and run again… rinse and repeat for easy infinite baubles from World 1-1.

As pointed out, if continue coins work the same way they did in April, you need exactly 0 continue coins to play SAB as many times as you want. Yes, you only have 5 lives per run like this, but for someone who knows the levels this is not an issue in the slightest.

(edited by Crise.9401)

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: fungihoujo.8476

fungihoujo.8476

How is this not pay to win? Because it’s a convenience and it saves you time?

Then I guess any game that sells you gear for real money is also not pay to win- since you can get that gear by simply playing a lot.

I guess if they said ascended gear was only on the gem store that wouldn’t be pay to win either- cuz hey, you can trade your gold for gems, right?

This is just Anet putting barriers between you and fun- as they are constantly doing- then saying ‘hey, give us lots of money and we’ll take that barrier away!’.

Anet has strayed way too far from their original promises.

Infinite Continue Coin?

kokiman.2364

You might be right, but more likely the reason for the change to baubles is to prevent people doing what they were doing in April which is run with a throwaway character delete, recreate and run again… rinse and repeat for easy infinite baubles from World 1-1.

And how did those baubles effect anything in the game besides this minigame?

GuildWars 2

Infinite Continue Coin?

skullmount.1758

Well they could have just put a level requirement (somewhere 5-10) on the end chest. That way it would take people time to level those new characters to be able to do it, yet those of us that already have several existing alts (those of us not deleting/recreating characters) are not punished.

Darkhaven server

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

As pointed out, if continue coins work the same way they did in April, you need exactly 0 continue coins to play SAB as many times as you want. Yes, you only have 5 lives per run like this, but for someone who knows the levels this is not an issue in the slightest.

We didn’t have Tribulation Mode in april, though. A mode especially tailored to make you die a lot.

Infinite Continue Coin?

Crise.9401

Bubble baubles created from 250 baubles can be used to purchase several crafting materials for legendaries for example… which if memory servers might have been able to be sold on trading post. I have 0 interest in legendary weapons, or had back then, so I can’t recall what the exact setup and prices were.

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: Avatara.1042

It sounds exactly like they did it to sell more gems

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: Avatara.1042

I think obsidian shards were also buyable with baubles, correct?

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Excellent! Just what I needed!

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Infinite Continue Coin?

Crise.9401

Yup, also 2x bauble bubble per chest at the end of 1-1 made acquiring them super easy… since you could run that world very quickly.

Infinite Continue Coin?

skullmount.1758

Well they could have just removed them from being purchasable instead. Or increased the number of BBs needed for them.

Darkhaven server

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

This P2W talk is for the birds. Am I the only one who threw away TONS of continue coins after the last incarnation of SAB went away? It’s a convenience item. nothing more, nothing less. The real hard core players doing Tribulation Mode spit in the general direction of that gem shop item.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Infinite Continue Coin?

Crise.9401

This P2W talk is for the birds. Am I the only one who threw away TONS of continue coins after the last incarnation of SAB went away? It’s a convenience item. nothing more, nothing less. The real hard core players doing Tribulation Mode spit in the general direction of that gem shop item.

I dunno, but I still have my Candy Powered Macro-Meter from last Halloween, along with 4k candy corn… also I have had baubles in my inventory since April :P

Also to all the rest of you, yes they could remove the obsidian shards or added a level requirement or done any number of other things. But they didn’t, instead they limited the amount of baubles being generated on account level. It is quite likely that the Infinite Continue Coin wasn’t even a thing when this decision was made, Gem store items are responsibility of a different team than the people who created SAB and this update.

So it is highly unlikely that these two teams “schemed” together to design this incarnation of SAB to be particularly centered around the infinite coin in any real respect. More likely that the commerce team saw an opportunity and pitched the idea of this item.

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

So it is highly unlikely that these two teams “schemed” together to design this incarnation of SAB to be particularly centered around the infinite coin in any real respect. More likely that the commerce team saw an opportunity and pitched the idea of this item.

Yeah, there probably isn’t any connection at all between tribulation mode and infinite continue coin.

Infinite Continue Coin?

Crise.9401

Yeah, there probably isn’t any connection at all between tribulation mode and infinite continue coin.

I never said there was no connection, just that it is unlikely that Tribulation Mode and its design was driven by the existence of this Gem Store item, because it is extremely likely that said design came before the coin.

Infinite Continue Coin?

ZudetGambeous.9573

Bubble baubles created from 250 baubles can be used to purchase several crafting materials for legendaries for example… which if memory servers might have been able to be sold on trading post. I have 0 interest in legendary weapons, or had back then, so I can’t recall what the exact setup and prices were.

They removed those as well. Can’t have people earning things not from the gemstore.

Infinite Continue Coin?

Crise.9401

Can’t have people earning things not from the gemstore.

Wait, what? Obsidian Shards have no connection to gem store whatsoever, so what does their removal have to do with earning something outside of gem store.

Infinite Continue Coin?

skullmount.1758

Can’t have people earning things not from the gemstore.

Wait, what? Obsidian Shards have no connection to gem store whatsoever, so what does their removal have to do with earning something outside of gem store.

He meant the infinite continue coin, I think.

Darkhaven server

Infinite Continue Coin?

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

Pay to win would be having to buy greatsword skills for your mesmer/ranger/warrior/guardian with real life money. Not paying would mean you can’t even equip a greatsword. THAT is true pay to win.

MapleStory had a similar system where you had to buy mandatory skills, with real life money, in order for your character to progress. If you didn’t buy the skills, your character couldn’t survive in higher level dungeons, was considered laughably weaker, and kept you from unlocking higher level skills (which also required real life money to acquire). One class that was slapped by this the hardest was the Evan.