Question/List of references in SAB

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: vonlunatic.1603

vonlunatic.1603

Okay, so I’ll start with the question, anyone know if they speech the evil guy makes at the start of W1 is supposed to be a reference to Phantasy Star 3 ? Is very close to what the monster says when he kidnaps the princess.

And if anyone else would like to post references they’ve noticed we can make a list, since I’m a retro junkie and trying to figure them all.

Example : Cage boss makes the same laugh sounds Bowser does

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

When you die the black screen with Lord Vanquish’s face is a throwback to N64 Super Mario

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

The flowers that dash you forward in World 2 I think are based off of Deku Flowers from Majora’s Mask, just a different functionality.

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

2-1 has a part where you jump across an immense river on moving logs, rocks, and crocodiles. It’s Frogger.

There’s another part where you hop across logs falling down a waterfall. Something you see in Mario.

And 2-3 has a part where you have to turn on a bunch of lights, while rams bounce around to hit the switches and make it more difficult. Basically, it’s Qbert.

Posted by: Denial Of Service.5732

Denial Of Service.5732

I never played SAB this is my first time but they missed A HUGE opportunity when Moto gives you the pointy stick he could have said “its dangerous to go alone! take this” BAM awesome reference i was expecting it the hole time but it didnt happened.

Killing the rabbits and then they turning into a rabbit tornadoe its CLEARLY a Zelda reference to be more specific a link to the past (Super Nintendo game) in that game if you hit a chicken about 20+ times then the screen get crowded with flying chickens attacking you.

-Dont go alone: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/its-dangerous-to-go-alone-take-this

-Chicken attack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1HUq6uwDS0

(this brings me so MANY good memories *sniff)

i might update later i can think of a few more.

/yes, english its not my native language and im a bit of a hurry.

(edited by Denial Of Service.5732)

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

The world 3 preview is a reference to Aladdin. Not going to spoil it, but the world 3 “secret” is a gaming reference.