SAB for players who are new to JP

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

As a new player who is not totally comfortable with JPs, and keep my Mesmer friends very happy all the time, how difficult is SAB JPs?

Was the meta achievement doable for casual players? any word on if SAB 2 will be more difficult than the first world?

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Posted by: kahzee.6042

kahzee.6042

It’s like super mario

Posted by: Dan.8709

Dan.8709

IT’S THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD.
World 1 was pretty doable, yup, I expect the second one to be too.

And yes World 2 will be harder. Tribulation mode will be insane!! Please be insane!

I LOVE YOU JOSH FOREMAN AND SAB TEAM.

Daniel Cousland – Darkhaven

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

I didn’t find World 1 really difficult to complete, though some achievements were kinda hard to get. There is an easy mode (infantile mode) for people that are not that good at jumping puzzles.

I’m pretty sure World 2 will be harder than World 1. It simply makes sense. The thing is, if the next worlds are going to be “Nintendo hard”, then I might be in trouble lol

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

If you’re just going for completion of the stages, the jumping in SAB isn’t all that difficult. A few moderate jumps here and there, but for the most part its all pretty simple stuff, and majority of the jumps are not insta-death so if you fail you just run back and try again.. And as said, there’s Infantile Mode which basically covers all the jumps for you if you really absolutely can’t do them yourself.

That was World 1, though. World 2 is sure to ramp it up a bit, so it could be a bit trickier. What we’ve seen of 2-1 already had quite a bit more “puzzle” to it (it took me a quite a while to figure out how to get up the mountain) and some trickier jumps across more dangerous terrain. Infantile Mode still applies if its too tough, though.

If you’re going for 100% achieves, then there will be a few more difficult jumps thrown into the mix. More precision required, and more death if you miss. And Infantile Mode won’t help you with that, you’re on your own.

As for the Meta-Achieve and whether it was doable for casuals… there was no meta-achieve for SAB the first time around. SAB was before meta-chieves were implemented. So it wasn’t really a consideration.

If I had to hazard a guess, I’d say they won’t make the meta-achieve TOO hard to get. There will probably be enough achieves to get the meta for average players, and then some achieves for more experienced players on top of that (stuff like 100% bauble runs).

(edited by Electro.4173)

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

There’s a thing called “infantile mode” for those who do not like jumping.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Yep. I imagine that Infantile Mode will still be there for World 2. And Tribulation Mode is for those who thought Normal Mode was too easy.

Posted by: Dan.8709

Dan.8709

Tbh hopefully there won’t be a meta-achievement, I quite liked how it was, just to get the title. I did each and every possible achiev.
We do know there will be a second title for this new world, so it could be just like it was before.

Daniel Cousland – Darkhaven

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

World one is solo-able btw.

but it’ll probably be more fun with friends

Zaxares.5419

I wouldn’t recommend trying to complete the achievements in a group unless everybody in the group loves JP’s, but doing it in a group is definitely more fun. It’s also easier in a group for those who aren’t as good at the SAB, since the better players can go on ahead and unlock checkpoints or activate shortcuts that cut down on the jumps players need to make to catch up.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

To OP: I was bad at JP’s before April. I like to think I’m decent with JP’s now.

One thing I hate about JP: foes, that will kill you so you have both an armour repair bill + a WP bill. SAB doesn’t incur armour damage if you die. And there are no WP’s to pay for. And I like the learning curve. The first level in the first world was really a nice way to figure out how to actually play this thing. While still having some harder to reach places for those that had already mastered it.

And the fact that the “infantile” mode is there too is great. So you can take the easy route to scout the place, then the normal route to finish it off and the new route (the insane one) for those that are, well, insane

And Zaxares, you forget one big advantage of being in there with a group. It’s a dungeon setup. Which means you can leave it and return to your friends. So, if you’re bad at jumping and drop dead in that poisonous water once too often (you have 5 lives), you don’t need to spend your precious baubles, you’ll just get yourself kicked out of the dungeon and return to your friends again

Zaxares.5419

^ Good point. I’d forgotten about that little benefit. I never got into a situation where I lost all my lives, so that’s probably why it slipped my mind.

LadyRhonwyn.2501

^ Good point. I’d forgotten about that little benefit. I never got into a situation where I lost all my lives, so that’s probably why it slipped my mind.

Remember that hidden secret at the end of level 2 in the first world? Where you had to jump in that hole and then jump corners (and don’t fall!) to find that hidden store? I lost my lives multiple times there before I finally got the hang of that jump…

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Remember that hidden secret at the end of level 2 in the first world? Where you had to jump in that hole and then jump corners (and don’t fall!) to find that hidden store? I lost my lives multiple times there before I finally got the hang of that jump…

You mean that horrible section where you have to jump on the roots and it you miss any of those jumps you go into the black hole and die? I really hated doing that one.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

To explain “Infantile Mode,” any place with dangerous jumping gets a rainbow bridge to walk over rather than doing the jumps. On the other hand, you don’t get as many rewards at the end as you would from normal mode. I don’t recall if one got any baubles on Infantile as I was only on the mode twice. If not, then you get no rewards except seeing the environment, enjoying the music, and likely an achieve for doing that mode. “Baby’s First Steps” I think was the achieve.

If you want Bauble Baubles, you have to do at least normal. On the other hand, I’m not a monster good jumper. I never beat Clocktower or Wintersday, though they made me a much better jumper for lesser JPs. I could generally follow friends through SAB and not burn TOO many coins … just don’t stand in green water. It burns.

LadyRhonwyn.2501

You mean that horrible section where you have to jump on the roots and it you miss any of those jumps you go into the black hole and die? I really hated doing that one.

Yes, that one….

And, no, you don’t get as many baubles from invantile mode, and the chest won’t drop the bubbles, but you can still dig up the same amount and the hidden areas also still have the same amount.

Posted by: Farran.3607

Farran.3607

JPs are cool. Frustrating sometimes, but doable. One thing I hate the most though is the FREAKING CAMERA. A large number of jumps would be so much easier on JPs if the camera didn’t screw your vision by forcing closeups on certain areas. Yeah, I know, a necessity, blah blah blah, but that still doesn’t soothe my rage. >:(

I wish on JPs there was an optional control setting that allowed your movement keys to change depending on your camera angle. You know, like how 99% of 3rd person rpg games are done? (disclaimer: statistic may or may not have been pulled out of my kitten .) Then I could swivel the camera angle to get a better view and then have my keys compensate.

Zaxares.5419

Oh yeah, that one. XD I had a bunch of SAB coins thanks to daily visits to the LA JP’s, so I just used one whenever I ran out of lives. I think I died 3 times trying to get to that shop. The “pillar jump” stumped me for a while before I decided to finally try it. Oddly enough, I still haven’t figured out how to get back out of there once you visited the shop!

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Oh yeah, that one. XD I had a bunch of SAB coins thanks to daily visits to the LA JP’s, so I just used one whenever I ran out of lives. I think I died 3 times trying to get to that shop. The “pillar jump” stumped me for a while before I decided to finally try it. Oddly enough, I still haven’t figured out how to get back out of there once you visited the shop!

That’s actually easy…

Go back outside, follow the right wall, and you’ll see a jumping stool….

And I still got some coins on my jumping Asura… I preferred not to use them while I was in a party, waste of coins if you could restart for free

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

SAB is more like a platforming game than a jumping puzzle. At least in World 1 and the first stage of World 2 there were relatively few tricky jumps, it’s more a matter of finding the route and avoiding/killing enemies.

I’m expecting World 2 to be harder, but not hugely different to World 1. I think Tribulation Mode will be for those who want “Nintendo Hard”.

(Although there will probably be achievements for it, and therefore entitled achievement hunters complaining that they should be given credit even if they haven’t actually done it.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”