Super Adventure Box Teaches Skills!!

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: Euphemia.7240

Euphemia.7240

I have been playing Guild Wars 2 for a little while now, but am still very much a noob. However, this post is not about that. My three year old daughter loves Super Adventure Box. When it first debuted, we played it every day. When it went away, every day we got on the computer, she’d ask me if Super Adventure Box was working. Now that it’s back, we’ve been playing every day. The first day we played for eight hours. Healthy? Probably not, however, Super Adventure Box is more than just a game for us. It’s a tool that allows her to learn problem solving, critical thinking, and coordination. She can work on numbers (in Pain Cliffs we synchronize hitting the number 9 to push the logs). When things go wrong, she used to get very upset and start panicking. Now, she calmly figures out what she can do to get out of the “gooey water” or get out of rushing rapids. She used to sit on my lap and play with me, she’d steer and I’d control the mouse (her hands aren’t quite big enough to do the keyboard and mouse at the same time.), but now she plays on her dad’s computer while I play on mine. We just finished Rushing Rapids on normal mode (usually we play on easy for her sake), and are attempting to tackle Pain Cliffs. I just wanted to say thank you to the developers of Super Adventure Box. You have made my daughter’s life complete, and have assisted in teaching her some valuable skills. Who knew an April Fool’s joke could be so beneficial? ArenaNet rocks. This is a short video of her playing Rushing Rapids for the first time on normal. Maybe not very impressive to you, but for being three, I think she’s pretty awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjKHVRzSnEs

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

Awesome post. Thanks for sharing!

Euphemia.7240

Thank you for taking the time to read!

Posted by: Kapina.9012

Kapina.9012

That video is too cute. It’s great that SAB can be helpful in so many ways. I think people complaining all the time (like I did about world 2), we sometimes forget that there are lots of good things in these living story contents.

Thanks for sharing

Euphemia.7240

Thank you for reading.

Posted by: Mario Lemieux.9107

Mario Lemieux.9107

This three year old is better at jumping puzzles than many people i’ve encountered in-game.

High-five for teaching our kids jumping skillz!

Posted by: Jesseroo.8247

Jesseroo.8247

She must be related to Derek Zoolander, she can only turn left. cute

Euphemia.7240

Maybe jumping skillz will be useful in every day life someday… lol. :P Jesserroo, lmao! I showed her she can turn both ways but she still only turns left. Sometimes she’ll use the mouse as long as she’s standing still.

Posted by: Chaoticbutthead.3245

Chaoticbutthead.3245

She must be related to Derek Zoolander, she can only turn left. cute

Hehe. I was thinking the same thing. Adorable and to the left.

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

Hehe, thats so cute and awesome. Thank you for sharing.

Shes quite good too. xD

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

I’m totally gonna do that with my kids if I ever get any!
“Son, you will clear this on tribulation mode or there’s no dinner for you”

Euphemia.7240

Thank you all for taking the time to look and read. I hope this will add to the motivation for the devs to continue working on SAB. It’s one of my favorite aspects of GW2.

Posted by: Nijjion.2069

Nijjion.2069

She will be doing tribulation mode by the time she is 5 no problem!

Posted by: Kagamiku.9731

Kagamiku.9731

Very impressive for a three year old. Props to her.

Euphemia.7240

I’m totally gonna do that with my kids if I ever get any!
“Son, you will clear this on tribulation mode or there’s no dinner for you”

LOLS, we tried Trib on W1 Z1 and couldn’t even make it out of the beginning. She quickly no longer wanted to do the “sad clouds.” Can’t say I blame her. :P

Posted by: Jacks.5367

Jacks.5367

I wish I can teach my 5 years old nephew gw2. But then again, I will probably be killed by my sister.

Great share though. =)

Euphemia.7240

I wish I can teach my 5 years old nephew gw2. But then again, I will probably be killed by my sister.

Great share though. =)

Thanks for reading. Why would your sister kill you??? It’s a way to teach them (letters, numbers, etc) AND they can have fun doing it! Unless she wouldn’t want to play all day, then I guess that’s understandable. :P lol

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

This is incredibly cute, and I hope the SAB team watches the video. That’s the most rewarding stuff you can get as a developer. To see a little girl enjoy your creations.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Euphemia.7240

This is incredibly cute, and I hope the SAB team watches the video. That’s the most rewarding stuff you can get as a developer. To see a little girl enjoy your creations.

Thank you for that. At the beginning movie where the princess is taken, she always raises her hand in the air and says, “Save the princess! Our super adventure begins!”

We have now began playing hide and seek in the hub, so if you’re in SAB on Ehmry Bay and see two random characters running around aimlessly, it’s probably us. I must say I am not looking forward to when SAB goes away… she will be so upset. lol.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

At the beginning movie where the princess is taken, she always raises her hand in the air and says, “Save the princess! Our super adventure begins!”

Awwwwwwww! That’s even more cute!

I must say I am not looking forward to when SAB goes away… she will be so upset. lol.

Just tell her it will be back with even more levels.

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

i have a 3 yo too love playing sab with me!!!!!!!! she loves watching me do the jump in TM.. and laughed when i fail.. and cheered when i make it thru. tht is why i love this mini game <3 <3

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

Euphemia.7240

i have a 3 yo too love playing sab with me!!!!!!!! she loves watching me do the jump in TM.. and laughed when i fail.. and cheered when i make it thru. tht is why i love this mini game <3 <3

They could make a guild together. “The Three Year Old Super Adventurers.” Ha!

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

dem feels. The video is what did it. So adorable.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Euphemia.7240

dem feels. The video is what did it. So adorable.

Thanks for taking the time to read and watch, Charming. Aubree and I both appreciate it.

Posted by: Ravious.4269

Ravious.4269

Games are one of the best teaching tools for kids, IMHO, especially video games because it places the kid on virtually equal footing with the adult. If you tackle problems, even RL meaningless ones, such as a SAB level together as a team… you will create a much better human being, IMHO.

Kudos to you for being an awesome parent.

Kill Ten Rats – an MMO blog

Euphemia.7240

Thanks for reading, Ravious. Once she can work the mouse and keyboard better, I hope she will take part in MMO’s with me. I would never expect anyone other than myself to party up with her, but I agree it instills a sense of teamwork and accomplishment when things are done together – even if it’s just beating a level in SAB or questing in the world. She’s learning patience because, as we all know, SAB is less than a friendly game on anything but Infintile. Learning to pay attention to her surroundings and that things aren’t always what they seem. Other than SAB she is an avid player of Sonic, Spyro, and Crash Bandicoot. She started being really interested in games about a year ago and it has just recently blossomed into being able to play anything almost solely by herself. We had two elementary school boys over the other day and she was owning them in Sonic Unleashed, calling them noobs and all. We are teaching her Magic the Gathering which has been amazing for numbers and math. Once she can read, it will be great for reading. After all the horrible things that have been said about video games, and after seeing how much they’ve helped my daughter, I say shenanigans. Obviously those people weren’t playing the right games. SAB and many others have been a great tool for her.

No awesomeness here, though I appreciate that. Just a mom that loves games.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

And good for you. We need more people like you, dispelling the myths about videogames. Games can be very good for children.

Posted by: Firefly.5982

Firefly.5982

It is so so bad to start playing video games with your kids that young. The skills she learns doing SAB can be learned a hundred other, healthier ways. However. She is doing a great job and having fun and I have to admit the video is super cute. I still wish she was building a fort outside instead or something :P

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

This takes me back; when I was that age I was playing Pajama Sam and Putt Putt, while sometimes watching my dad play Everquest or whatever came before that.

Always great to pass the torch on to the next generation.

And yeah, they should be played in moderation, but that’s true at any age.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

Posted by: PokerTuna.6170

PokerTuna.6170

Thx for sharing and it’s good ur both having fun and experiencing stuff together. Say hello to ur girl and don’t forget a high five for some skills!

Unfortunately my kids won’t be having such a great time since I’m a good but franky harsh teacher ( I’m a windurfing and snowboard instructor so I got some feedback. I can only imagine their pain if I ever introduce them to SAB

PokerTuna.6170

It is so so bad to start playing video games with your kids that young. The skills she learns doing SAB can be learned a hundred other, healthier ways. However. She is doing a great job and having fun and I have to admit the video is super cute. I still wish she was building a fort outside instead or something :P

eee yes…maybe…not really I think I think ending up as a second Melonie Mac wouldn’t be such a bad result. Not to mention since she started so young she is probably gonna be WAY better.

PokerTuna.6170

Thanks for reading, Ravious. Once she can work the mouse and keyboard better, I hope she will take part in MMO’s with me. I would never expect anyone other than myself to party up with her, but I agree it instills a sense of teamwork and accomplishment when things are done together – even if it’s just beating a level in SAB or questing in the world. She’s learning patience because, as we all know, SAB is less than a friendly game on anything but Infintile. Learning to pay attention to her surroundings and that things aren’t always what they seem. Other than SAB she is an avid player of Sonic, Spyro, and Crash Bandicoot. She started being really interested in games about a year ago and it has just recently blossomed into being able to play anything almost solely by herself. We had two elementary school boys over the other day and she was owning them in Sonic Unleashed, calling them noobs and all. We are teaching her Magic the Gathering which has been amazing for numbers and math. Once she can read, it will be great for reading. After all the horrible things that have been said about video games, and after seeing how much they’ve helped my daughter, I say shenanigans. Obviously those people weren’t playing the right games. SAB and many others have been a great tool for her.

Magic the Gathering is a great idea! Seriously, good job MOM Don’t take it the wrong way, tho I feel you have an open mind, but later on you could try poker ( yes, I’m serious ). This is a real school of patience, mathematics, psychology and perseverance. I’m not starting on gambling since if you ever try it with her I know you would know what to do.

(edited by PokerTuna.6170)

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

“We did some before she went to bed tonight, but only made it past the first gate on W1 Z1, while dying about 5 times in the process. Ugh. Lol.”

5 times? Pretty sure she beat some people.

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

What about video games is unhealthy? It’s way better than TV, which seems to be more acceptable for young kids.

Player Character.9467

What about video games is unhealthy? It’s way better than TV, which seems to be more acceptable for young kids.

Didn’t you know that playing tag teaches them analytical skills and puzzle solving?

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

We had two elementary school boys over the other day and she was owning them in Sonic Unleashed, calling them noobs and all.

Now, now… As funny as I’m sure that would have been to see, don’t forget to educate her in how to be a good, gracious gamer in victory too!

Euphemia.7240

Oh my goodness I can’t keep up with all these replies! Thank you all so much for reading!
Queen Malafide – Thank you! I’m sure it would be different if we were playing Call of Duty (which I do enjoy but we don’t play that together) or Grand Theft Auto all the time, I just hate how video games as a whole seem to be lumped together in one big pile of “negative influences.”

Firefly – I will be paying for my bad decisions when she gets older if it was a bad move on my part. Don’t worry, though – I own three horses so we do have responsibilities we have to take care of outside every day. She helps me clean stalls and also rides so I promise she does get exercise on the daily. My sister also brings her daughter over regularly and they play on the trampoline or play pretend together. I do agree the things she’s learning from playing games with us she could learn in other ways, but hey, she loves it and has fun doing it. I won’t be the one to deny her something she’s talented at. I appreciate your input and taking the time to reply.

Piogre – My grandpa and I would play Bomberman on his NES for hours. He introduced me to Duke Nukem, QBert, and he had this really weird computer game where you are skiing down a mountain and had to avoid trees and stuff. After so long, a yeti comes and eats you. I could never figure out how to get away from it…

Pokertuna – I teach horseback riding lessons so I understand where you’re coming from. It’s hard to be patient with them all the time, especially when you’re trying to teach them something new. Magic is way, way too complex for her at the moment, but we don’t play tournaments or anything, only for fun, so it’s always been just a casual game for us. We made her a unicorn/horse/pegasus deck and an angel deck. So far she only knows how to read the number in the colorless circle (if there’s a color next to the colorless cost, she doesn’t yet understand she needs to count them both.), but she knows what land is, how many cards to draw, when to draw, how to tap and untap, and say “finished” when her turn is over. I have no idea how to play Poker… you’d have to teach me, lol.

Player Character – LOL! I doubt that.The rocks that jump up when you get close to them always scare her. We managed to make it past all the monkeys on the trees in the second area of W1Z1, but kept falling in lava after that. She was determined to keep trying, though. Sigh. Trib is the bane of my existence.

Elena – I can see where Firefly is coming from. I’m sure it could be very unhealthy if the video games were used as a babysitter and the children were allowed to eat junk food the entire time they’re staring at the computer screen, or if the content they’re being shown is of kitten or stealing or murder or something. It’s all very relative and there’s so many things that have to be taken into consideration, I don’t know if we can just generalize this kind of thing into “its bad” or “its good.”

Zaxares – Oh it was hilarious and I couldn’t stop laughing, but I had to remind her that she had played the game much more than they had, and that she was also a noob once. Whenever they’d get stuck she would offer to help them, so that’s good I guess. >.> Unfortunately, there’s so many more hateful people in the online community than there are nice ones, I’m afraid she will turn into a jerk too. Although, all of the people that have taken the time to read this and watch the video, and continue to read, are restoring my faith in the internet community. Thank you for reading, Zax.

Posted by: Thomassassinate.9370

Thomassassinate.9370

Have to agree 100% especially tribulation mode.

Trib mode teaches you to not go head onto the path and try a different approach, if you’re near a checkpoint dont just jump right to it their could be a trap, If it looks too easy it probably is. Honestly best mode ever imo, hate the people who want it easier.

Posted by: TDWIG.9712

TDWIG.9712

This is so awesome! I’m using this as encouragement for my friends who claim they can’t play SAB.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’m sure you’ll be fine. Just be there to help guide her and let her know that it’s important not to let yourself get dragged down to their level. That it’s important, and even admirable, to remain a good and polite person online. Not too much different from guiding her through SAB, really. Just navigating a different set of obstacles.

Finally got around to watching that video too. Your daughter is super cute. XD I’d be a very proud parent if my kid could do SAB at age 3 too. Tribulation Mode might be too much for her though; that portion in W1Z1 with lots of jumping rocks might give her nightmares.

Euphemia.7240

Have to agree 100% especially tribulation mode.

Trib mode teaches you to not go head onto the path and try a different approach, if you’re near a checkpoint dont just jump right to it their could be a trap, If it looks too easy it probably is. Honestly best mode ever imo, hate the people who want it easier.

I won’t play Trib mode of my own accord. It’s too hard. I won’t complain about it either, the players that like it and are good at it, I totally support them. I am not good enough to play it, and I don’t chase achievements or anything, I only play for the fun of it – I have yet to beat world 2 on normal mode, so I’ll be working on that until SAB leaves probably. Thank you for reading!

Euphemia.7240

This is so awesome! I’m using this as encouragement for my friends who claim they can’t play SAB.

LOL, that’s awesome. I hope your friends have a renewed sense of confidence in playing SAB.

I’m sure you’ll be fine. Just be there to help guide her and let her know that it’s important not to let yourself get dragged down to their level. That it’s important, and even admirable, to remain a good and polite person online. Not too much different from guiding her through SAB, really. Just navigating a different set of obstacles.

Finally got around to watching that video too. Your daughter is super cute. XD I’d be a very proud parent if my kid could do SAB at age 3 too. Tribulation Mode might be too much for her though; that portion in W1Z1 with lots of jumping rocks might give her nightmares.

Thank you so much for that! I really appreciate it. I will try my hardest to make sure she remains a civil person on the interwebz. There’s really no need to be a jerk, it takes a lot more effort than just being nice, imo. She was determined to play Trib tonight. Every time the rocks would jump she’d jump and then start giggling, “That scared me mommy!”

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

this is WAY too cute. i have a 8mo old right now and my wife and i only play when he’s asleep. tbh? i can’t wait to get him playing games with me. or just having him watch me. i’ll definitely have to learn to control my temper better though when he’s around! see: any TM mode.

that being said, it will only come in doses. i also cannot wait to play soccer with him, go swimming with him, teaching him how to ride a bike, how to help take care of our cat, how to be kind and always willing to lend a helping hand, how to have proper table manners and not be picky with his food, how to count, sing, and just be a merry little boy.

as you teach your daughter responsibility and the value of taking care of life and exercising, OP. : )))

regardless, such a cute video and i too love how she can only turn left. ; )) way too adorable. makes me wanna go home and snuggle with me boy (and play more SAB lol).

p.s. lol at your response to Zaxares and how you told little Aubree she was once a noob as well. i can’t wait to call my son a noob. XDDD

[edit:
pps. just saw this. WAY too cute.

Every time the rocks would jump she’d jump and then start giggling, “That scared me mommy!”

they are so precious, aren’t they. : )))]

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

(edited by akamon.2769)

Euphemia.7240

Akamon, congratulations on your recent addition. You just have to abandon all desires to “get that achievement” or do a level in a “timely manner” when playing with the kiddos. At least, that’s what I have to do. We explore and practice jumps, and she falls a lot and has to start over from the beginning (i.e., Storm Top.) All you can do is laugh and say, oh well, it’s just a game. Sometimes I get angry but she doesn’t hesitate to give me a /facepalm when I’m losing my cool. It’s a great reality check to be facepalmed by a toddler. It sounds like you’ll be a wonderful role model for him. I salute you for sticking around to be with your family, there are so many people (men and women alike) that walk away from their responsibilities as a parent. Thank you for taking the time to read and reply.

Posted by: Josh Foreman

Josh Foreman

Environment Design Specialist

Adorable! Gotta share this with the team. Posted the vid on my facebook.

Posted by: oxide.8324

oxide.8324

Hey Josh quit watching babies and give us a bauble count for W2Z3 or some confirmation that it’s not bugged cheerz m8

Euphemia.7240

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and watch the video. She really loves your creation. You’ve done a wonderful job and we can’t wait to see what’s next. Thank you for sharing.

Posted by: PainShot.7154

PainShot.7154

Hey Josh quit watching babies and give us a bauble count for W2Z3 or some confirmation that it’s not bugged cheerz m8

What this guy says, but in a better way.
I love your work Josh!

Player Character.9467

OMG Josh got a post through the ANet Mithrillium Curtain!

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Just goes to show how much fun SAB can give families! Maybe it’s time for Moto to start working on a version for the household?

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald