TM: How do those bouncing stones work?

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I hope someone can help me out with this. I just don’t understand the mechanics of these bouncing stones in Tribulation Mode. There’s countless areas where it seems you are meant to jump across them. But of course when you do 90% of the time they knock you into the lava. And sometimes, by sheer luck, I make it across without them bouncing at all. It seems to be a matter of sheer luck.

By now I’ve made it to the swamp of world 1 in Tribulation Mode, by simply grinding my way past these things. Dying numerous times, until by some miracle I made it across. Can anyone explain how these things work, and how you pass them?

Attachments:

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

(edited by Mad Queen Malafide.7512)

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

The video’s I’ve seen had people jumping from little stone #1 to #2, back to #1 and then on the big monster rock and onward.

…if that helps.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: iplayBANJO.9543

iplayBANJO.9543

Jump onto them from as far away as possible and then quickly dodge jump off of them. When possible dodge roll against them then jump on top of them. The stomp has a small cool down of a second or two and they don’t seem to stomp when your standing directly on top of them. If it seems like they do it’s probably because they started the stomp as you were approaching them or you are only standing partly on top of them.

In the above case jump to stone #1, jump from there to the stomp rock, then quickly dodge jump to the leaves across from it.

There’s several places where you can shortcut some Trib Mode content with a quick dodge jump, either because it deals well with these stomp rocks or because it gives you just enough extra distance to clear otherwise impassible spike traps. For example you can avoid the entire hill in Zone 1 that has a chest on top of it by dodging against a certain stomp rock to get on top of it, then dodge jumping over the spike traps to the checkpoint.

(edited by iplayBANJO.9543)

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

How do you do the dodge jump? I’ve been trying that move countless times, but I must be doing something wrong. Dodging and jumping at the same time? Or jumping from a dodge roll?

(Thanks for all the tips btw everyone)

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: iplayBANJO.9543

iplayBANJO.9543

Dodge and jump at the same time. It’s easiest to use a dodge key rather than double tapping a direction. The default key for dodge is V, which is convenient, for myself at least as it’s very comfortable for me to press V and the Spacebar at the same time with my left thumb.

Keep in mind when doing it that you lose control of your character for the duration of the jump as soon as you start it, so there’s no fine tuning your landing. In my experience if it’s possible for me to overshoot my target, I probably will. So it’s much better used to jump away from something than towards something. You also might not want to use it to try to land on anything that doesn’t have an edge to catch your forward movement.

(edited by iplayBANJO.9543)