Taking a LS break

Taking a LS break

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

SAB shows what’s wrong with the Living Story in a very direct way.

Games like this should not be forced upon someone in a month’s time. They’re games that should be played on your own time, whenever you feel like it. Oldskool Super Mario Bros is a game that would be there every day of the year. Same goes for Legend of Zelda. As a kid it took years for me to complete those. I don’t think it’s fair I’m given only a month for a game that’s now Nintendo Hard.

So I’m not playing SAB. I’m not making an ascended weapon either because I’m close to building my legendary. So that’s that. We finally have a break in the living story with absolutely no content to do. Somehow, I feel good about that.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Taking a LS break

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

SAB is Living Story.

Are you Shpongled?

Taking a LS break

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

I understand and kind of agree with both sides. But you have to understand marnick’s frustration. If they added at least a few permanent content to be enjoyed at your pace, the ones you might miss out on wouldn’t matter much.

If they added one permanent part for every non permanent, the non permanent you’d miss out on wouldn’t matter as much. But for now all you got is temporary, so you really do feel rushed and pushed around too much.

Taking a LS break

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

I didn’t think it was getting to me until I was playing a new game on my ps3 this weekend and started feeling rushed for no reason…. then I realised why as I’ve done nearly every LS this year…

It’s becoming second nature that I have to finish as many achievements as I can before the time runs out….

Taking a LS break

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Yeah it is kind of nice to take a break. Got no interest in SAB – tried it the last time, it was quite fun, but if I wanted to play and oldschool platform game I would play an oldschool platform game, revisit my old N64 etc. The fact that it is temporary and assumes grind/ spending all the time there now before it goes away kills it even more.
I got into GW2 to play a fantasy (obvs steampunk now) MMORPG. I understand SAB’s quite popular, so good for the people who enjoy it.

But I don’t think it should count as LS though, where is the story / lore in there? It’s a minigame. I wish devs would focus on a meaningful story for the LS though…. A girl can dream I guess.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

(edited by hedix.1986)

Taking a LS break

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I feel so burned out by the Living Story that I played a single player game called Gone Home last night.
It has no action and no fights, it is just this empty house with a story, it is an awesome work of art.

It felt like something in my brain relaxed and unfurled like a flower, it was an amazing feeling.
I used to have that feeling in GW2 all the time.
Time for me to just go back and do some exploration and stuff I have been missing

Gunnar’s Hold

Taking a LS break

Posted by: Kindeller.3072

Kindeller.3072

Strangely I also logged in today and was kinda lost for something to do… the SAB has zero interest to me. Not only does it feel so detached from the story (particularly for a living story that I always figured would be liner and procedural) but essentially there are no real good rewards just more skins. Couple that with the outrage at the supposed difficulty. I thought it was just a one off for april fools? :/

As mentioned I think it would fit better as a static piece of content and use more fluid story stuff for the living story!

Taking a LS break

Posted by: Reize.2176

Reize.2176

Guys, what do you expect? You really think the people that we all knew and loved that made up the original ArenaNet are actually still in the company doing all the LS content?

They all left ages ago, except some of the art guys i guess….Most of the people left in “Arenanet” are nobodies.

You have to be realistic and lower your expectations.

Taking a LS break

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Exactly, adding temporary content like this to us is basically no content.

Taking a LS break

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

Yeah. Totally opting out of this one myself personally. Literally missing nothing imo. I’ve done them all up to this point as well and I am just so burnt out. Can’t even enjoy my free time because all I think about is worrying about the next Tuesday and the new achievements I have to do. >.<

I was debating all last night, while I couldn’t sleep, if I should just “quit.” And I got up thinking “yeah I’ll quit” but then I decided it might be better to take a break for this month. Try to relax and have fun with other games.

I was debating mostly because I keep feeling like I don’t have time to play MMOs (lol I should have all the time in the world being disabled >.<). But I am sick a lot and that takes a lot of time up, but I do have time, plenty of time. Its the silly LS that makes me feel like I have no time. :/

I used to really like events/holidays in MMOs. They were a big highlight to me. But nowadays I just cringe even thinking of “events” coming up. >.< It really shouldn’t be like that.

I’ll see how Halloween goes and if I still feel exhausted by this then I dunno what I’ll do.

Taking a LS break

Posted by: Greyfur.1082

Greyfur.1082

I am also not doing the SAB it was a GREAT April fools event but really does not hold my attention for more then a few minutes now. I am glad others enjoy it but since it has noting to do with my characters Story, I wont miss much by not doing it.

(edited by Greyfur.1082)

Taking a LS break

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

I liked SAB and I will play this one but my attitude has changed recently too. That particular MOMENT was when I got stuck on 11/13 for the portal closures for a few days last LS.

The non-user friendliness, the monotony (the silliness?), made me realise a few things about LS.

SAB now has gone a direction I’m not particularly happy with. They really clamped down on the farming, making the runs account bound and concurrently alleviated some of those concerns by pushing you towards an infinite coin in the gemstore, while ramping the difficulty up on normal mode x 2 in World 2……. (save it for TA).

I’m not even sure I have a point….. I honestly feel it’s simply perhaps time to take a break for awhile.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Taking a LS break

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Atleast the other LS have some kind of connection to the whole GW2. Remotly but it’s there.
This on the other hand is a gimmick and you will like it or can’t stand it like myself. It was fine as a joke but to make this into a LS part is wrong in my eyes.

Taking a LS break

Posted by: beastie.4536

beastie.4536

I feel the same way too, I’ve very little interest in SAB W2 I’m taking a break on LS this month too.

I’d rather see Anet give us permenant new dungeon/map or new world mega boss or maybe just add a few sets of gw1 armors instead of this. SAB was fun as April fool event but doing it second time is kindda meh… like other mentioned “adding temporary content like this to us is basically no content.”

Mike O’Brien: "We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

Taking a LS break

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Yeah it is kind of nice to take a break. Got no interest in SAB – tried it the last time, it was quite fun, but if I wanted to play and oldschool platform game I would play an oldschool platform game, revisit my old N64 etc. The fact that it is temporary and assumes grind/ spending all the time there now before it goes away kills it even more.
I got into GW2 to play a fantasy (obvs steampunk now) MMORPG. I understand SAB’s quite popular, so good for the people who enjoy it.

But I don’t think it should count as LS though, where is the story / lore in there? It’s a minigame. I wish devs would focus on a meaningful story for the LS though…. A girl can dream I guess.

Agree with you completely.

IN april when SAB was introduced, it was quite hysterical. I had some nostalgia from the old NES/SNES days and I enjoyed it for the first day or so. But like you said, I’m past those days. I will pull out the old console if I want to go back into time. People do enjoy it and they have now put a lot of expenses and resources into this project, so I would say add it to the game permanently and leave it for the people who want to play it.

TL;DR- Taking a break from LS

Taking a LS break

Posted by: Reize.2176

Reize.2176

So it seems ANet itself is already out of touch with whakittens player base wanted.

Oh well, the game survived longer than it was supposed to. Time to put the final nail in the coffin.

Taking a LS break

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

So it seems ANet itself is already out of touch with whakittens player base wanted.

Oh well, the game survived longer than it was supposed to. Time to put the final nail in the coffin.

Time to go back to the ole Texas instrument PC and break out “Pong”

Taking a LS break

Posted by: TheLaughingMan.7951

TheLaughingMan.7951

I was thinking of quitting as well, since now I have to get ascended weapons for 4 level 80’s with 3 full sets of gear each, and try to do all the annoying SAB achievements.

I changed my mind. I don’t care about achievement points anymore. I am simply going to do what I feel is fun (dungeons, wvw, and spvp) and screw the rest.

Zrun
Former NSP, now on GOM! http://www.youtube.com/user/umdsmith/videos

Taking a LS break

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

Super Adventure Box gives Arena Net time to breathe. They are “on a bus going 100 miles per hour!” – PAX 2013 (iirc)

The artwork for the next Living World story looks quite interesting, though.

The next LS update is Tequatl Rising. We already know that

I too am using SAB as a little breather from the LS. I don’t really consider it a LS addition and more of a mini game. I’ll jump in once one of my characters has exhausted their Birthday Boost. I’m not losing that for SAB. Until then I’ll be getting my T6 mats to start getting Ascended weapons.

On a side note… can I stop getting those darn Wigs!? I have 4 of these things already…

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

Taking a LS break

Posted by: pswendel.8179

pswendel.8179

Throwing myself into this lot as well. I do not begrudge the enjoyment others may be getting from SAB’s newest installment – play on. I am very worried for the development of this game, however. Perhaps taking a break will give me a new perspective. I may drop by the suggestion pit to throw a few notes into that hole. PM me when my story matters.

Taking a LS break

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

I didn’t think it was getting to me until I was playing a new game on my ps3 this weekend and started feeling rushed for no reason…. then I realised why as I’ve done nearly every LS this year…

It’s becoming second nature that I have to finish as many achievements as I can before the time runs out….

Yeah that rushed feeling is getting me kinda of mad, especially since I have a job and a kid and I can’t even keep up with the garbage they give us. I didn’t get to fight canach or any other LS dungeons, I didn’t even get to TRY scarlet’s funhouse.

Yeah yeah, I know too bad, right? Well it’s still garbage. I don’t even care about the story. I DON’T HAVE TIME for the story. I look at a guide and grind it out. who cares about the story part? Story doesn’t get you loot.

Elyl Jrend

Taking a LS break

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

Yeah that rushed feeling is getting me kinda of mad, especially since I have a job and a kid and I can’t even keep up with the garbage they give us. I didn’t get to fight canach or any other LS dungeons, I didn’t even get to TRY scarlet’s funhouse.

Yeah yeah, I know too bad, right? Well it’s still garbage. I don’t even care about the story. I DON’T HAVE TIME for the story. I look at a guide and grind it out. who cares about the story part? Story doesn’t get you loot.

That’s kinda crappy too, because the story in gw1 was fun, but now I just want to get things done as much as I can.

Like… what was that election thing even about? Who knows, but it’s gone now, and I’m left with a bunch of junk I can’t use. Do I save it? WHO KNOWS.

Elyl Jrend

(edited by ophidic.1279)

Taking a LS break

Posted by: Jaga.2084

Jaga.2084

In other MMOs special events are special. You could play the way and at the speed you want until the special shows up. You do it, you have fun and then go back to the stuff you like to do. Here it is special after special. If I play what I want, I miss out stuff. It’s not fun.

It’s funny. “This is not fun” is a phrase I use very often in GW2. I guess that’s why I play less and less.

Taking a LS break

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

This seemed like a cash grab on the coins more than anything. There was no reason to make the zones so long and annoying in World 2. It should of taken 10-20mins per zone, not 2 hours. This killed any hope I had for this game and I kind of stepping away from playing altogether. I put up my weaponsmith to 500 to see that most of the stuff is from doing world bosses, which is another stack of chores I stopped doing, and now feel forced to re-do. Every new LS has killed my interest more and more, and everytime I keep putting myself in denial that the game would get better.

They’re just constently going in the wrong direction, and every new player is enjoying it because they haven’t reach the endpoint yet, the older players and feeling drained/tapped out.

This my just end up being my last LS, think I’m done with mmos in general.