Tribulation Mode no longer deserves its name

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: showtime.9175

showtime.9175

In view of the recent nerf, Tribulation Mode has unfortunately been turned from challenging content into not much more than what used to be Normal Mode plus a few hidden traps.

After restarting my game, I tried World 2 Zone 1 and finished it within 20 minutes and almost no deaths.

Before the patch, I was having fun figuring out better solutions to challenges like the Log River, the Moving Geysiers or the Coin House. These used to require figuring out the patterns, but now it seems that you can walk through it just by bashing your head against them.

The designers have stated that TM should play like “I Wanna Be The Guy” and be only for the most hardcore players. Although I didn’t find it to be as hard as IWBTG, it was still a great piece of content until the patch streamlined away all the options for creativity.

The current patch notes would seem fitting if they applied only to normal mode. I would like to see Tribulation Mode returned to its old state which was perfectly fine for the intended player audience.

Posted by: elinos.7493

elinos.7493

I second TC’s request if keeping these changes separate from TM is at all possible.

Posted by: Thomassassinate.9370

Thomassassinate.9370

The only thing that should be fixed are the really high jump ledges that you can almost barely get on. Other than that, thats why its called trib mode.

But nooooo it has to be easy because the apperently definition of achievment is, reward for no skill or challenge… i love trib mode tho josh keep up the good work and avoid anything easy thats what infantile is for.

Posted by: Dagraan.2854

Dagraan.2854

again trail and error games are never hard, their just annoying.

you can honestly run normal and trib mode world completion completely with less than a 10 minute difference once you know what to do.
and that was before the patch, its not a nerf since they just fixed normal mode and buffed a bunch of mobs to give baubles

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

That’s what you get for all that whining. Sad.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Troll harder! We still lust for blood!

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Troll harder! We still lust for blood!

MORE BLOODSTONE DUST PILES!!!

.. wait

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: jason.2043

jason.2043

the spinning flowers … I mean come on now.

Posted by: RvLeshrac.2673

RvLeshrac.2673

the spinning flowers … I mean come on now.

Without redoing the map, they can’t currently correct the flower issues.

The other changes were simply workarounds to correct for engine issues. Now people are actually able to play the game instead of wrestling with bugs.

Posted by: Airek.8215

Airek.8215

I think it’s fine as is.

Sup?

Posted by: Turtle.4130

Turtle.4130

I hope they make W3 and W4 INCREDIBLY difficult. Mainly because I love the insane challenge it will bring, which is secondary to the fact that I don’t want to see a bunch of casuals running around with skins that would ideally require a high amount of skill to acquire. Not everything is meant for everyone, yes you can equally enjoy SAB like everyone else, but no you shouldn’t be able to faceroll something while someone had to spend multiple hours doing it with great effort.

Posted by: Iaknihs.8536

Iaknihs.8536

I saw not a single problem with the difficulty beforehand. actually, in my opinion they could have made everything even harder. but it was fine as a World 2 out of 4.
But WHY take away everything that’s the least kittenallenging?!
World 2 is just like World 1 now. Not to mention that baubles are now so common, it seems their “mindless farming” ideals must have changed a lot.

Just because all kids always have to complain -.-’ at least should’ve kept Tribulation mode the way it was. It’s okay for normal mode to be simple, but for Trib-mode that’s simply not the point.
I’m just happy i did all of this Before the patch. Else i probably wouldn’t have done Trib-mode at all.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Having hours to spend to figure out a pre-determined linear path for TM =/= skill.

The skin just means you had time to kill.

Posted by: Josip.8267

Josip.8267

again trail and error games are never hard, their just annoying.

you can honestly run normal and trib mode world completion completely with less than a 10 minute difference once you know what to do.
and that was before the patch, its not a nerf since they just fixed normal mode and buffed a bunch of mobs to give baubles

This. Once you know what to do is piece of cake. You should stop QQ and go play other “hard” content instead. Go pvp and climb as much as you can.. I bet you are not 1#

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Please keep in mind that you have already cleared it. With the changes or not, you already know where a lot of the bad spots are, what to look for and so on forth.

E.g., it took me some hours to clear all zones of World 1 in Tribulation mode. The very next day I did them all in about 40 minutes. Once you know where these troll-traps are, it’s not much different from a regular SAB run, you’re just more restricted in your movement and have a pre-determined path to take, that the developers have set for you.

Tribulation mode was never all too hard, it was a trial and error. Some parts have been made easier, ok, but does that hurt me in any way? Not really.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Iaknihs.8536

Iaknihs.8536

I may be the only one thinking like that, but for the challenge (disregarding a few not too incredibly simple jumps like the geysirs. You know. You need a tiny amount of timing to not fall off /shock) i rather took upon myself to try and predict where they would place the traps.
And guess what. while in W1-1 i died A LOT, it was indeed pretty much trial and error, in all following worlds i died fewer and fewer to begin with. because eventually you know how the developers were thinking and can base your expectation of traps on that analysation.

Guess what, challenge doesn’t always lie in defeating other players who have no idea whatsoever what they are doing.
In regular PvP, 3 out of 4 matches are against teams that are playing completely at random. Now that’s not just about GW2, but every MMORPG that contains PvP i’ve ever seen.
Challenge? My Rank is actually low because i don’t play it often. But if that’s the level of ‘challenge’ in PvP, i have no reason to even spend time raising my rank.

The jumps in SAB are not difficult. That being said, there is not a single difficult jumping puzzle in this game and never has been. Same for all other content. The dungeons are all ridiculously easy on a group that doesn’t consist of lvl 40 players on white gear. The difficulty of Fractals actually decreases on higher levels as you have less and less people with no idea how to press the ‘F’ key to interact with an object. WvW is difficult for the commanders. 98% of all other people just randomly spam attacks hoping they won’t die anyway.

Having something where trying to predict what the Devs are thinking actually helps you A LOT is surely the most challenging thing in this game so far. Unless of course you prefer the tedious task of running into every single trap until you know all their placement. That’s the alternative – and certainly easier for people unable to see the Point of View of others – that you chose yourself.
That being said, i still don’t approve of making something easier after release. Make it more fair? okay. But if you make something easier at one point, make the rest a bit harder to keep it even. Difficulty spikes may not be good, but making a game easier and easier just so even those people unable to press ‘Space’ and ‘W’ and all that while looking at the screen can run it? Yeah. Great idea.

p.s.: All percentages mentioned are estimations. I didn’t actually make statistics about this. Maybe i should though.

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

I bet for someone who has never run the zones will still find it incredibly difficult. But those of us who had already done it a few times found it easier anyway because we understood it more. The new updates have made nothing ‘too easy’.

| Lithia |

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

So, let me get this straight.

Some players, who played through TM (most with online guides I would bet), are now upset because a few changes (bugs, bad mechanics) are have now made it super easy.

Does this not sound like faulty logic to you?

What it says to me is that after you learned to solve TM, the only difficult parts were inconstant bugs and bad mechanics. That doesn’t sound like planned difficulty to me. To me, it sounds like some players were gaining advantage over others based on latency and computer speed.

I understand if these issues made it harder overall, that is the entire reason they were changed in the first place. What I don’t understand is how you can justify complaining when those same issues were making it unplayable for others?

You are not the only one gaming here. Others are struggling with variables that can make or break the gaming experience. We need GW2 content to be designed so ALL players can succeed with work, not just those with great connections/computers.

We saw the same issue in the Queens Gauntlet. The entire map was designed in a way that penalized users with PC’s/connections that weren’t ideal. There were bugs that at first advantaged some players, and later screwed everyone. They never fixed the countless bugs there, and so many players were unable to participate.

I’m sorry, but some of you need to try and see this from a big picture perspective. You are not the only one in this game, and if they continue to make inaccessible content, then you’ll find you have a very lonely game, and no one to even complain to.

(edited by Crazylegsmurphy.6430)

Posted by: Thomassassinate.9370

Thomassassinate.9370

I bet 99.9% of the complainers saying its not a challenge now, did it with a walkthrough either way.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Tribulation mode was hard the first time, because the first time you were just strugling with where the traps were. Once you know where they are it’s no longer a challenge.

If you beat it before the normal mode nerf then the difference you’re experiencing afterward is not the nerf.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Nathan Gura.3750

Nathan Gura.3750

I still find this stupidly difficult and thus, it should continue being called Tribulation Mode.

Posted by: Ibbuli.4027

Ibbuli.4027

I hope these fixes would be only to normal mode…

Posted by: fungihoujo.8476

fungihoujo.8476

I bought an infinite coin, used a guide, and had already gone through TM mode. Now that I have both worlds memorized like the back of my hand, going through them again is easy. If I was a sensible person, I’d come to the conclusion that games that are 99% memorization become easier once you’ve memorized all the spots that kill you.

But instead, I’m going to blame casuals for wanting the normal mode meant for everyone to be bug free and reasonable.

Stupid casuals, making me remember things.

Posted by: nightzirch.3126

nightzirch.3126

I agree with OP. I loved the pre-nerf content as it was challenging and not everyone around could do it. I think Anet should be bold and be clear on that not all achievements are for everybody. I love JPs and I love SAB because I think Im good at it. Having TM on farm doesnt make me feel that speshul anymore

Hi, I’m Chris aka nightzirch
Snow Crows [SC]
Front-end developer – SecretToymaker.com

Posted by: showtime.9175

showtime.9175

Since the game’s release, I was waiting for an update that would add challenging content.

This month for the first time, ArenaNet managed to add something that reasonably qualifies. However, through complaining on the forums from players that were not even targeted by that content, you managed to make them nerf it to the level of all other content in the game.

Tribulation Mode was supposed to be hard. After the recent changes, it no longer is.

Why was it not possible to leave that one content as is, for the people who wanted to have a challenge that way? It wasn’t even part of the meta achievement.

I’m still glad that I was able to play through the whole TM world 1 and 2 without any guides available, before the update, and I want to thank Josh and the other devs for creating this challenging content. I would have loved to play through it again, but unforunately it is now gone.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I can’t even beat the stupid frog at the end of world 1 on easy mode. HAHA maybe that will make all you hardcore types feel better.

The Burninator

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

ITT: Elitists QQing because a miniscule percentage of other players have a higher chance of being Elite.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

ITT: Elitists QQing because a miniscule percentage of other players have a higher chance of being Elite.

QFT. Trib mode is still hard, and I still haven’t completed all of the zones in tribulation mode, not even in world 1.

The definition of achievement, according to Google, is as follows:
1. a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill.
2. the process or fact of achieving something.

Seems to me that the tribulation mode achievements match up perfectly with the definition of the word. In reality, you should feel that your yellow and green skins are even more valuable if you earned them pre-patch simply because it was more difficult for you to obtain them during that time. You should feel more proud of yourself for having completed these achievements when the difficulty was slightly higher. But unfortunately, a vast majority of folks still seem to think that they should be the only ones allowed to have these skins because they are somehow inherently better than the rest.

Sigh.

Tribulation mode is still hard. The majority of us are still unable to beat these zones in tribulation mode. Your shiny skins are still shiny. (and it’s at this point that I realize I’m speaking as if a five-year-old is the recipient of my words.)

Posted by: Ivonbeton.6814

Ivonbeton.6814

A lot of parts are indeed easier. More checkpoints and less frustrating parts. I’m not sure how I feel about this. Part of me doesn’t mind because I hated those parts and they were a true trial of patience, part of me hates that I cursed my way through them for hours and now they are a lot easier to do, which takes away part of the pride I had that I finished them where others had not.

However, I think a lot of the “better” players underestimate how many people have problems performing multiple pixel perfect jumps. Maybe there are a few people more who can now do this content without killing themselves out of frustration, but it’s still only a smaller portion of the community who have the time and “skill” to make it. Mind you, I don’t think “skill” makes one player worth more than the other, it’s just an attribute.

So that also answers some other replies I’ve read here. You don’t just need patience for these zones, there is some skill involved. Maybe to you this seems like a matter of time before you can learn how to beat content, but you have to realize that does isn’t the case for everyone.

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

I can’t even beat the stupid frog at the end of world 1 on easy mode. HAHA maybe that will make all you hardcore types feel better.

Haha this was me a few days ago too. I finally got his pattern down but BOY was that tricky.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: Barabbas.8715

Barabbas.8715

I bet 99.9% of the complainers saying its not a challenge now, did it with a walkthrough either way.

And the P2W coin.

Posted by: fungihoujo.8476

fungihoujo.8476

If you already beat TM when it was ‘hard’, then you’ve already achieved it. Why are you complaining then?

If your only reason to complain is that someone who isn’t you can now beat it- that’s a pretty sad state for you, that you can only enjoy yourself when other people aren’t.