Tribulation mode should not consume lives

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: Celebratty.1632

Celebratty.1632

You’re supposed to expect to lose, but it still punishes us in a mode that’s supposed to kill you so you can learn? Not only are you forced to go a long distance back because of the waypoint distance, why on earth would it consume your lives when you’re expected to die?

Oh wait.

Lulu [LGN] Anvil Rock
Garbage at every profession 2015

Posted by: SeNoZinD.9874

SeNoZinD.9874

Cat mario, you had infinite lives. This made it so you wanna keep going. This has the exact same difficulty but you have limited lives. Infinite continue coin here I come. -_-

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Tribulation mode can only be completed with infinite contiune coin.

Posted by: Joshua Valentine.6417

Joshua Valentine.6417

Infinite continue coin here I come. -_-

Tribulation mode can only be completed with infinite contiune coin.

This is exactly why OP said “Oh wait.”

Grumpy Woodsman.
Jade Quarry Forever.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I can see it now, the Queen’s Gauntlet will return with an infinite ticket in the gem store, every Living Story update will be accompanied by a mini-game (or it will be a mini-game) with a tedious entry requirement conveniently negated by a gem store item.

Posted by: Celebratty.1632

Celebratty.1632

Honestly don’t know whats going on with the game..
Release? This is amazing!
Halloween? This is hilarious, can’t wait for next year!
Wintersday? This is ridiculously fun, not sure whats happening though.
SAB? This is hilariously adorable.
Fractals? Fantastic, this is crazy fun for dungeon runners!
MA? Okay.. the minidungeon was nice.
Southsun? Scavenger hunt was pretty fun, everything else was a bit frustrating, but still fun.
Everything else? Guys, please hear us out here we don’t like whats happening..
Honestly I’m playing the game because of the content at release and nothing else. SAB had me excited, but it was another crushing disappointment based around the gem store..

Lulu [LGN] Anvil Rock
Garbage at every profession 2015

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

I agree with OP. I have a coin, so I could pretty much kill myself over and over. I would never even dream to attempt this without a coin unless I had a guide. This mode isn’t about skills, it’s about dying repeatedly until you find the path. First zone is doable in minutes – if you know where to go, and get lucky that legit jumps to the right spots don’t kill you anyway. Which would be OK, except, again, impossible without the infinite coin (or a guide from someone with a coin).

Posted by: fungihoujo.8476

fungihoujo.8476

Anet: “What’s this, we are recieving critical acclaim and have customers having fun without having to pay?! Not on my watch!”

And it’ll only continue to go downhill.

Wait, didn’t something like this happen before?

Let’s see… games that make you pay real money in order to get to continually, well, play the game as intended…. oh right! Didn’t EA do this in SWTOR? How’s that game doing again?

I’m surprised they don’t make you pay for every champ box you want to open yet.

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

I’m surprised they don’t make you pay for every champ box you want to open yet.

Shhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

How do you know they just haven’t thought of it yet?

Black Lion Champ Box Keys.
You know it, I know it, we all know it’s coming.

Bad enough that I should have bought a second copy of the game instead of extra chr slots, at least I’d only be blocked to “twice a day” for the same amount of money.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It’s a good strategy on Anet’s part. They create a mode that requires basically trial and error to get it right. All the invisible, unpredictable traps kill you instantly. They then tie achievements to it which everyone wants and will go to no end to get.

Who ever thought up the idea of having the tribulation mode and the infinite lives token for gems deserves a raise. I guarantee they’re going to make Anet a lot of money. At least until some makes a YouTube video that shows the correct path.

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

I can see it now, the Queen’s Gauntlet will return with an infinite ticket in the gem store, every Living Story update will be accompanied by a mini-game (or it will be a mini-game) with a tedious entry requirement conveniently negated by a gem store item.

My god, the future of GW2? This is pushing P2W.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

They can’t sell you the infinite coin if Tribulation mode does not consume coins.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

My god, the future of GW2? This is pushing P2W.

No need to deny it. Just stop trying to convince yourself it isn’t.

This is the door they should never have opened. Irreparably harming the game.
Sure you don’t have to buy the coin, you don’t even have to play the sab.

But you don’t have to play any LS update, or wvw, or pvp, or dungeons or fractals. So why not time gate everything behind a lock and sell the key in the gem store?

This is exactly what everyone was so happy not to see in the gem store. It’s what set it apart from every cash cow perfectworld/zynga f2p ever made. At least, it did.

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

I have some problems with the hidden message with the Tribulation mode, and as pointed out, it is “pay to win” in that you almost “need” to purchase the infinite continue coin to do it in a meaningful way. This is the first time I actually felt disgusted in buying something from these mini transactions from the trading post. I think this is breaking grounds in a bad way….but I bought it…I’m sorry….

Also, I get it, tribulation mode is supposed to be trail and error and difficult.

I learned to be aware of the odd flowers that look different and may explode
I learned that certain rocks will jump up and knock you around
I learned that sometimes barrels are dangerous so be weary
I learned that some areas of the ground look different at the seams and segment down a bit…that may be a lava pit….

I haven’t learned a thing from the random spikes, this has no warning or tell, so I can’t use what I have learned to get better. I think the spikes are one of the biggest critical failures in this mode, the rules of difficult gaming require there to be a “tell” to give skilled players the ability to learn that tell and overcome it.

Also the tribulation cloud shoots far too many lightning bolts and should be toned down, you simply can not sustain a meaningful dodge rate with them. The lightning sword move also persists after activation and will still damage players while it is traveling in a radius..I feel that one is a bug.

A hard game should be something that is difficult to do, but there is room to learn how to overcome it. If we are expected to die a lot, we should be given the opportunity to continue without strict penalties such as spending real money for a “cheat” (infinite continue coin).

Posted by: Absolutionis.9427

Absolutionis.9427

I think this is breaking grounds in a bad way….but I bought it…I’m sorry….

No need to be apologetic, I complained about it myself and bought it as well. I just won’t be recommending any of my friends to try any of it.

When SAB first came out, I told everyone I knew as if it was the second coming. It was awesome.

With this new SAB requiring the Infinite Coin in order to be “fun”, it’s not anything to tell people to try. It’s niche appeal, and I’m that niche. I doubt anyone I know would care to even try.

A hard game should be something that is difficult to do, but there is room to learn how to overcome it. If we are expected to die a lot, we should be given the opportunity to continue without strict penalties such as spending real money for a “cheat” (infinite continue coin).

It’s essentially paying gems for infinite lives. It’s not “fun” until you pay gems, and when you do, much of the content becomes rather easy.

They mentioned that the purpose of all the nerfs was to not “cheapen” the value of lives. Then they cheapen it worse than it ever was.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Read these words carefully and let them sink into you.
Infinite. Continue. Coin. Infinite. Continue. Coin. Infinite…

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

So far, I’m having no trouble getting extra lives in the normal mode of the game.

Do the extra lives go with you into Tribulation Mode? If so, I could rack up the lives in normal, then head to tribulation mode.

I’m just trying to look at it from a logical point of view here. There is obviously a way to get through it – you just have to backtrack and acquire lives to do it. Or by continue coins with baubles. (Which… it looks like 25 baubles is 1 bubble bauble is one continue coin IIRC?)

The definition of Pay-to-Win is ‘you have to spend real money, or you absolutely cannot pass this point. Like every Facebook game ever. I don’t think this is the case.

Plus, all the really good stuff you can get without doing Tribulation mode anyway. I guess if you want the achievement, you work for it.

CMF.5461

I am not even going to try to defend the decision making process on this one. I still like the game, and there is a thin line to make excuses that it is not pay to win, but for practicality purposes it is. Technicalities there are ways around it, sure, but I think you need to go give it a shot.

I just finished world 1 stage 1 after LOTs and LOTS of deaths, probably more than 99, and a continue coin would at most give you 5 lives I believe?

I’m fine with “most” of the difficulty, but there is a very thin line they are walking here and I just encouraged it by buying the continue coin

A lot with this patch that is upsetting a lot of people, and I"m surprised to be one of them as I typically understand the changes and love the game. This one I have to side with the hatter crowd for once

Not horrible yet, but I’m beginning to see the road we are walking down and ANet has a hatchet in the back seat for when I’m not looking

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

“Tribulation Mode is a grueling difficulty intended for hardcore gamers and serves as a torture platformer in the same vein as I Wanna Be The Guy and Kaizo Mario. "

You asked for impossible challenging content that would frustrate you and that only a small portion of the player base could do, they gave it to you. If they give you infinite lives, you’re having your hand held while players having problems with “normal” still have to grind to buy continues.

Nope.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

CMF.5461

Again, there are only two problems I have and they are connected…random unforseable spikes.

They should either do a knockdown/knock back or take hearts, not insta kill. OR they should have a learn able tell, like the flowers, the holes in the ground to lava, or the difficult jumps and timing.

Right now I"m at the jumping rocks in the lava part on world 1 stage 2, and I"m not frustrated with it. You know why? because I have a chance to learn and adapt with the timing and flow of the game.

random spikes are my only complaint. The rest of the difficulty is great and I love it, because I can learn and be “skillful” in overcoming the challenge. Spikes are just random and unfun, designed to push you to continues through many many deaths.

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

The definition of Pay-to-Win is ’you have to spend real money, or you absolutely cannot pass this point.

That’s not at all what P2W means. Most episodes and expansions require additional payment if you want to progress past existing content.

P2W means you pay to beat somebody who didn’t pay. There’s really no such thing as P2W when you are talking about PvE.

On the other hand, if a company is nickel and diming customers for content, that’s all it is, nickel and diming. Not everything has to be P2W just because it involves payment.

Posted by: Zebulous.2934

Zebulous.2934

Haven’t tried the new sab yet. But what you are all describing sounds like the old style arcade machines. Eaters of quarters… They always started out relatively easy. After the first stage though, after you liked playing it, difficulty spike! You would have to memorize paths, combos ect. You would die in such frustrating ways, you knew you could do it… and then you realized you had just blown ten dollars to get to stage four, if you were lucky you got to put your initials into the top ten.

Lol sounds like they should have stuck to the console games.

CMF.5461

It is exactly the arcades all over again, which is kind of cool in an homage kind of way, but not for here not for this.

For the sake of saying it I finished world 1, it is do able but takes a LOT of continues and trail and error.

I’m not mad at the difficulty, I’m mad at the underlying trend, and the inconsistency with skill based playing.