Will school uniforms be coming to Gem Store?

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: FInN.7219

FInN.7219

Not sure what happend these a few months ago but is there any chance of them being relesed with the ‘Back To School’ theme?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/c9450aaaa25b075debfd72761c884077/tumblr_mokrngrH7S1qd6ruyo1_500.jpg

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Sure, why not. We already have enough stuff that breaks immersion, let’s add modern school uniforms to that list now.

But with the way things are going, Anet will probably tease you by putting them on NPCs and never releasing them for sale. Heck, it’s what they did with the swimsuits. Put them on NPCs only while players went crazy wanting them in the gem store. Then Anet just ignores them and does nothing.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

It’s tricky. Some people want them, but then you get comments like “Only for the chicks” and it becomes obvious they’re meant to be sexy school uniforms. Should Anet sexualized kids for their players’ pleasure? Ehn… maybe not.

Posted by: Nihilus.3015

Nihilus.3015

They look terrible anyway

AmateurNet

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I don’t like those (except the jacket is nice). But then outfits like that are not meant to please older female players, I am pretty sure. This is not the type of content I want to support either, so I will not spend a gem on them. Not even if the male version is much nicer (as usual).

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

For what purpose exactly? As already said, it doesnt fit into the GW world and people only want it to make their character sexy, which isnt really a good enough reason to add such an out of place outfit.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Onkelbubu.3108

Onkelbubu.3108

They should better let us dye our underwear!! But again, for chicks only

Posted by: BlackWolf.8605

BlackWolf.8605

been wanting this for a long time for 3 of my characters

Wolves of The Abyss [Wolf]

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Not impressed at all. I’d prefer a gala dress…

Posted by: Noviere.7309

Noviere.7309

I’d prefer more armor skins.

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

I’d prefer more armor skins.

Right there with ya, although town clothes are nice and all, I’d really prefer more armor skins to that… and, not only for the chicks :-P

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Posted by: EverSeeN.1630

EverSeeN.1630

school uniforms? what is this 1980?

Posted by: ghettogenius.9174

ghettogenius.9174

Well personally speaking I would buy a school girl outfit for my ele (assuming the plaid skirt and white shirt look). Doesn’t seem like a big deal to me – some kids wear much less these days. Also, what people find attractive or sexy is largely subjective. For instance, I don’t dig tight pants but some people love the skinny jeans or leather look.

Posted by: KSQK.3485

KSQK.3485

For more humanoid races like the norn, human, and sylvari., it could work. For asurans and charr….not so much (particularly the Charr where they are supposed to be fierce, not funny).

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

school uniforms? what is this 1980?

A large majority of schools now have school uniforms….. IDK what you’re trying to say here lol

Regardless.. Town Clothes just need to go away all together. I mean who seriously switches to Town Clothes when they are in LA? With Culling gone now it doesn’t even matter. Majority of people are just pink profession models anyway (for my low end rig anyways)

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Id laugh my face off seeing a male charr in a mini skirt, pig tails and a tied up shirt.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

I mean who seriously switches to Town Clothes when they are in LA?

<— raises hand nervously

Are we not supposed to do that? lol

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Delvoire.8930

<— raises hand nervously

Are we not supposed to do that? lol

haha. Well I guess there had to be at least one person

Posted by: ShunsuiKouKyoraku.9106

ShunsuiKouKyoraku.9106

Would be cool if they added an option to check a box in your Hero panel that made you automatically change to town clothes when you entered a town.

Epic Idea is Epic!

~De Oppresso Libre~
Shunsui Kou Kyoraku~Thief |Afro Claptrap~Warrior|Korra Jorradóttir~Elementalist
Zaraki Bladebreaker~Guardian|Mikasa Ackkermann~Mesmer

Delvoire.8930

You guys have nearly killed this thread….

GW2 Forums is most likely the last place for a discussion such as that.

So back to School Outfits.

I really hope they are not bringing them into the game.

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

Well, to be fair, a discussion about the sexualization of kids in school uniforms is actually kinda relevant in a discussion about whether sexy school uniforms should appear on the gem store.

I agree though that I’ve never seen a discussion about issues as important/controversial as this go very well on these forums.

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

Not impressed at all. I’d prefer a gala dress…

Oh yes, I want this so much!

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

Posted by: Alex.3907

Alex.3907

Well, to be fair, a discussion about the sexualization of kids in school uniforms is actually kinda relevant in a discussion about whether sexy school uniforms should appear on the gem store.

I agree though that I’ve never seen a discussion about issues as important/controversial as this go very well on these forums.

I have something of a talent for kicking up kittenstorms. :P I’ll be quiet… for now.

Edit: Thank you for making it easier for me to be quiet by deleting my posts, moderator! For a moment there, I almost thought that using a real-world example to support my argument instead of relying solely on rhetoric was a good idea. Silly me! Keep up the good work.

(edited by Alex.3907)

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

People who are complaining they are too sexy really have a very broad range in taste in what they find sexy.

That said I am a sucker for Zettai Ryouiki

Posted by: Spendingallmytime.7249

Spendingallmytime.7249

I’d only be interested if was a Sailor Scout type uniform.

Why you bein’ cute?

Posted by: Avatara.1042

I did not want them before, but I think they would be funny now. Mainly because Alex has no sense of perspective and severity.

Also:

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/206/744/aba.gif

spoj.9672

and from my perspective I am the worst sort of forum poster on internet gaming forums.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I love these forums. Seriously though, lets get with the school uniforms. I’d like a cap and some nice shorts.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

Wow how did that simple question of if a uniform previously featured in the game would be coming back turn into this?

Firstly; School uniforms are not inherently any more sexy than any other skirt and blazer combo which we already have in the game. School designs (usually plaid) is sexy only because of the implied innocence of the wearer, and the forbidden fruit effect. Skirts that short and shorter already exist in the game for female characters.

Secondly; Avatara’s comment “Only for the chicks” is spot on considering how many female characters would be wearing this (based on past trends in this game and many others.) And how many male characters will not even look twice at the new sets. We’ve been brought up in a society where women are praised for how cute and sexy they are and men for how tough and powerful. Only for the chicks is correct.

Thirdly; “But then outfits like that are not meant to please older female players, I am pretty sure.” It’s entirely possible that many adult women would and do want that outfit. Considering how many human female’s are in game wearing some form of “sexy” clothing. Is it your theory that they are all played by men or young girls? You should say that you don’t want them and the clothing instead of it’s not made for your entire demographic. I could just as easily say that clothing like those are not made male players either. None of my characters can even wear the pictured outfit. Clearly its not made for men.

Finally; Every armor and clothing set in the game is not made for you! if you do not like the set don’t buy it. If Anet just released armors of schoolgirl outfits that would be one thing but they just released 6 outfits (Phoenix, Magitech, Braham, Aetherbladex3) that look nothing at all like schoolgirl outfits. Catering to everyone’s tastes and likes is a good thing. To hear you ladies talk we should all be in clergy vestments and veils. But cant you see that not everyone agrees with that and let them wear what they want?

Anet adding this armor will not hurt you at all If you don’t like it don’t buy it. but why ruin things for the people that will buy it and help support this company and this game?

OP. I hope so for you.

Posted by: Kiriwar.7382

Kiriwar.7382

this thread…goodness

When did GW2 forums become tumblr?

I for one welcome the school uniforms

Like swords, sorcery and misfortune?
Read Wingless, a fantasy comic about a knight’s journey, here!

Posted by: Avatara.1042

They should add them, and make it so that when you take damage, bits are torn off. Ladies only.

Posted by: TheLaughingMan.7951

TheLaughingMan.7951

Rainbow unicorns and now this. Am I playing a fantasy MMO or a dress up game?

Zrun
Former NSP, now on GOM! http://www.youtube.com/user/umdsmith/videos

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I would. If I had something better than that ugly skirt my ranger has now. She’s a noble! She needs some noble cloths, not some skirt that is worn by the peasants…

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

I would. If I had something better than that ugly skirt my ranger has now. She’s a noble! She needs some noble cloths, not some skirt that is worn by the peasants…

You mean, something like a noble armor?

PS: before I get flamed, I know it is an armor, not townclothes. It is a joke. Thank you.

spoj.9672

They should add them, and make it so that when you take damage, bits are torn off. Ladies only.

Yes please.

Posted by: KSQK.3485

KSQK.3485

I also want to highlight that school uniforms inherently isn’t meant to be seen as sexy, but rather a form of civil obedience to school ethics as well as pride. Not to mention, school uniforms are normally seen in religious and private schools and rarely in public schools.

Also, Japan has a weird fetish on school uniforms (particularly the female types), not only because most schools in Japan are privately owned; but Japanese have this weird fetish on girl’s school uniforms as being “cute.” So unless if introducing the school uniforms in Gem Store is seen as a “Japandering” move, it may bring wrong impressions to many gamers.

Posted by: Brienson.7319

Brienson.7319

I also want to highlight that school uniforms inherently isn’t meant to be seen as sexy, but rather a form of civil obedience to school ethics as well as pride. Not to mention, school uniforms are normally seen in religious and private schools and rarely in public schools.

This is what I was thinking. I went to a private school no more than 9 or 10 years ago, this is basically what our uniforms looked like. A blazer, and a skirt / shorts / slacks.

How sexually repressed and horned up are you people that you can’t even see a simple school uniform without immediately linking it to fetish material? The only thing even remotely sexualized on this is the fact that the skirt is short, but all the skirts are short in this game. It’s a back to school update, these are school uniforms, chill out.

dragonbrand—

Posted by: kahzee.6042

kahzee.6042

in before the lock

Posted by: megakittytron.5971

megakittytron.5971

I don’t know why people insist on bringing their emotional baggage into online games. Please leave that stuff behind. There has been countless times when another gamer or myself has said something totally harmless and someone wants to get all offended. This is a place to relax. If an in game school uniform brings back bad memories then move on from it. At any rate, as an older female gamer, I totally want that skirt and those shoes for my human and norn! Shut up and take my money A-net!

Posted by: Moderator.9532

Moderator.9532

As a reminder to everyone, please stay on topic and do not derail the thread with personal discussions or off-topic opinions. Thank you.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I agree that school uniforms are not meant to be sexy. Mine certainly weren’t, in spite of the best efforts of the teenage pupils. (Even the unfashionable geeky girls, aka me and my friends, had our skirts rolled up so they were at most just above knee length.)

There’s usually subtle but important differences between an actual school uniform and a ‘sexy’ uniform. For one thing sexy uniforms are usually tight fitting, and therefore fit well. Real uniforms are usually bought for you to ‘grow into’ during the year and even when they are the right size they’re a bit like wearing a series of cloth bags.

Also, Japan has a weird fetish on school uniforms (particularly the female types), not only because most schools in Japan are privately owned; but Japanese have this weird fetish on girl’s school uniforms as being “cute.” So unless if introducing the school uniforms in Gem Store is seen as a “Japandering” move, it may bring wrong impressions to many gamers.

It’s slightly off-topic but how widespread school uniforms are varies greatly between countries. In the UK the vast majority of schools have a uniform and children are required to wear it every day (non-uniform days are a rare treat). In my area at least there was only one school that didn’t, and that was an expensive private boarding school.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

It’s tricky. Some people want them, but then you get comments like “Only for the chicks” and it becomes obvious they’re meant to be sexy school uniforms. Should Anet sexualized kids for their players’ pleasure? Ehn… maybe not.

well none of the races that you’re playing with are children and a school uniform on an adult in a real world is considered sexy, so how is it sexualizing kids?

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

I vote Yes, this is NOT a medieval game after all. Also, where are those swimsuits?

Posted by: BatsLoveCaves.5768

BatsLoveCaves.5768

Tera: Rising has swimsuits and school uniforms available for micro-transcations. I bet they’re making a killing on ’em right now: link link

(edited by BatsLoveCaves.5768)