character models in SAB graphical style

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

Blocky character models that resembles the rest of super adventure world graphics

This is something we can keep for subsequent iterations of super adventure world. I don’t like the way my normal character model contrasts against the graphics of super adventure world. I would prefer even generic blocky models. They don’t have to be unique to my character, and it would probably be too much work for the modeling team. Perhaps only allow different colored dyes that coordinate with your characters normal ties so group players can be distinguished from one another., And to preserve a bit of character continuity between the regular world and the super adventure world.

To take this a step further, have it be the ultimate reward to earn a transformation potion that allows you to turn into the super adventure world character model within the normal game world.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I don’t think this would really fit the “lore” of SAB.

SAB is your own character being “inserted” into the holographic 3D world of SAB. You are yourself, its not meant to be a representation of your character that SAB itself creates, what you see in SAB is your normal character from the “real world”. The environments are holograms, the NPCs in SAB are holograms, but the players are not created by the game and not part of the game, but rather inserted into it. Thus they maintain the visual style of the real world, rather than being rendered in the game’s style. Sort of like how Roger Rabbit still looks like a cartoon despite entering the real world, rather than becoming realistic.

As for a tonic to use this “SAB model” you’re proposing in the real world… I can see a lot of complaints about that. People already complain about the Super weapons and mini’s because they “ruin immersion” by putting 8-bit visuals into the game world, despite the fact that they can be explained by the fact that they’re all holograms anyway (and the fact that minis make little sense as it is). A tonic could be explained away in the same way (its a magical concoction that changes what you look like, why should it be restricted only to real-world looks?) but all the same, it would be far more intrusive to see a bunch of players running around in 8-bit mode than a few glowy weapons or holographic minipets.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

I agree with Electro, however, I can see benefits in SAB specific avatars inside the box… mainly that they can do away with the difference between model size and hitbox, or at least make it less of an issue.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Think of SAB as a holodeck. You go as you are into the game and everything occurs around you in whatever style it was designed in.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker