Existing Skins i Discontinued?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Caatalyst.7289

Caatalyst.7289

Will the existing skins be getting discontinued after the SAB is taken down this month? I didn’t know whether to try and farm like crazy and get them all before it goes.

Cheers,

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: TitaniumDog.3054

TitaniumDog.3054

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Get them now. If you wait then you’ll have to buy them off the TP for a lot of gold.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Caatalyst.7289

Caatalyst.7289

Guess I better get farming then – Cheers Guys!

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Dasorine.1964

Dasorine.1964

really hope they decide against doing something that silly, even if they only leave them in as drops from the chests in world 1.

It just makes no sense to me to remove the older content to try and make the newer content feel “special”

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

really hope they decide against doing something that silly, even if they only leave them in as drops from the chests in world 1.

It just makes no sense to me to remove the older content to try and make the newer content feel “special”

Its not removed to make newer content feel special, its removed to make the older content special. People love limited-time skins, viewing as a status symbol of sorts “I was playing during SAB’s first run, gaze in awe at my awesome exclusive sword skin”, that sort of thing.

Not something I personally agree with, I feel that skins are better available to all players at any time and you should choose a skin based on whether it looks cool, not as some sort of limited-time status symbol that favors people who have played the longest (or can afford the high TP prices for the item after the fact). But its something thats been going on forever and will continue to go on, because plenty of people love their “trophies”.

in Super Adventure Box

Dasorine.1964

Either way its a silly idea, if the releases aren’t special just because they are new releases baiting it with “1-off” trophys are going to annoy more people than they’ll entertain for the most part…

Doubly so when the content that actually gave it is still in… I mean how annoying would it be if they suddenly removed all the dungeon vendors in the game? You’d still run the dungeons and such but you’d not get any of the specialty items that people want.

(edited by Dasorine.1964)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: atrossity.6437

atrossity.6437

Its cool when they are limited because, like the other guy says, it shows you played during a certain time period.

For instance, I might have a cool chainsword from halloween 12, but then I might miss out on getting a meat cleaver for halloween 13. It makes the items have value.

A lot of cool swords that are in game now aren’t special to a lot of players because they are a fairly common skin, and easily obtained.

in Super Adventure Box

Dasorine.1964

Its cool when they are limited because, like the other guy says, it shows you played during a certain time period.

For instance, I might have a cool chainsword from halloween 12, but then I might miss out on getting a meat cleaver for halloween 13. It makes the items have value.

A lot of cool swords that are in game now aren’t special to a lot of players because they are a fairly common skin, and easily obtained.

A few problems with that, first of all the content that gives the current stuff will still be there in later builds meaning people doing the same content no longer get the same reward.

Secondly time limited exclusive gives you that warm happy feeling but soon become relics only seen occasionally and will eventually die out, meaning the time and effort put into that content eventually becomes wasted as people leave the game, delete items etc etc it also means that the item is relying on “exclusivity” for value rather than actual worth, if something looks really cool it would be valued regardless yet just by limiting the time it can be gotten you could make a boring item “valued” for however long it remains in the game until of course there are non left outside of perhaps a handful of collectors bank.

And thirdly its almost punishment for people who didn’t play the game before or such, with the seasonal content that comes around once a year theres a chance that the old content will remain each time it comes around but with new stuff added (which a lot of games have been doing now after they realized people want the older stuff as well and those that had the chance to get it have long since left etc) we currently couldn’t say for sure how they are going to do it in this game as it hasn’t been out a full year, hopefully they’ll do what some games have learnt over their long run times, that people don’t mind old content reappearing at holidays and that limiting them to that one year only annoys more and more people as things go on.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: atrossity.6437

atrossity.6437

your first and second points say the same thing.

And no, it gives another item to “go” for. Right now, the item to get is legendaries. What if you get one? then what? And also what about those guys (like me) who will never get a legendary? We could have something ALMOST as cool: a unique time exclusive skin.

and your third point: it doesnt “punish” anyone. If they want the items, they should stick around for the events. Thats what makes the items cool.

in Super Adventure Box

Dasorine.1964

but thats just it, its not another item to “go” for because out side the 1 month you get to “go” for it you don’t really have many options, sure there will be some on the TP but eventually those will be gone, the fact that your then going to be doing the same content other people did to get those rewards but without actually getting those rewards…

If you take your legendary example, its more like currently people get legendarys at some later patch that introduces new items if you do the same thing (farming everything up, getting the precursor etc) instead of getting the legendary like everyone else did, you get nothing or something completely different.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: toastman.7689

toastman.7689

I think rewards should become permanent if I don’t have it. I think rewards should be limited time only if I do have it. I’m a hypocrite.

On a more serious note, rarity creates desirability. Players enjoy having something that makes their character stand out and feel unique. There will always be content in a game like this that isn’t readily available to everyone (legendaries, anyone?), and I’m okay with that. Try not to get hung up on the idea of someone having something you don’t (welcome to life!), instead just wait for the next special event and get your own limited item then. ArenaNet seems to introduce new limited time items with most special events, so there will be plenty of other opportunities to find something cool and unique.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

I think the best solution would be to offer the same skins next time the SAB comes out but with a slight alteration to the design. If you want the generation 1 GS skin, you need to get it now. You can get nearly the same GS skin later on, but it won’t be exactly the same. That would both preserve rarity but also allow for keeping the skins accesible for newer players.

As a side benefit, it would give the completionists even more to do the next time SAB was active if they really wanted to collect one of every generation of every skin.