SAB: Ok what kind of game is this?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

GW1 had lore-breaking events too – how does a commando fit into the lore there? Don’t be such a grump. It won’t be there forever. Ignore it if you wish, while the rest of us have fun with it.

most modern fantasy MMO’s have this. WoW does it, Rift does it, i’m sure when elder scrolls online comes out it will do this too..

Actually? Elder Scrolls games haven’t had the same “let’s be slightly silly” bent as ArenaNet has with their two games.

When the Elder Scrolls series gets silly, you get flaming dogs raining down on a village of bipedal felines, a character who makes all kinds of fourth-wall winking jokes in character, or the nonsensical choices of the Skyrim Thieves’ Guild.

When Guild Wars gets silly, you get everyone for a day turned into chibi Gwen dolls, a banana on a stick attracting drakes so Koss can make a “Drakes on a Plain” joke, and two years of Terminator homages on April Fool’s Day. Or you get Wintersday with Grentches and snowmen fighting over a pile of presents.

When Blizzard gets silly, you get the Cow Level, Whimsyshire, and thinly veiled shots at Fox News.

When Mojang got silly, they released Minecraft.

. . . anyway, where was I?

Right. Elder Scrolls Online will be a lot more in-universe with their silly. It’s just how those games are. Guild Wars will not always conform to the ideal fantasy . . . but then, it never did from the start. So it’s not much of a surprise.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

There are hours upon hours of content that sticks to the original aesthetic and feel of the game. When you add in content, it doesn’t detract from the original content. If this content isn’t up your alley, then don’t play it.

I like that ANet is doing something fresh and different.

Also, please don’t be ageist. Age does not necessitate a person’s interests.

Not doing it does not solve anything. Simply seeing other people with this sort of stuff ruins the atmosphere of the game. I can not participate in that stuff from now til the game shuts down, but someone running by with an 8 bit skin or a goofy backpack ruins the feel of the world. You can’t simply not do the content or ignore the items. How would you feel if, in the next Hobbit movie, one of the dwarves was just an 8 bit cartoon? Would you just not look at him and it would be ok?

I’m all for funny stuff and minigames and holiday events, but let’s keep them consistent with the world we are in!

It was an Asuran invention. Done.

You could use that excuse to put anything in the game. Why not just say a wizard did it?

Doesn’t make it any less consistent. Asides, the only thing we’ll see out of it are new skins, and with that said we still have people walking around with candy canes and toy rifles. I think that’s more “immersion breaking” than this (not that it is).

That’s exactly my point. Toy skins are a subset of the stuff that doesn’t feel like it fits into a game like this. It’s impossible to list everything.

Then what’s Tyria as you envision? Certainly it isn’t a medieval fantasy.

Oh, I’m not a writer. I imagine it would be something a little more coherent though.

It’s silly how a world that has not evolved past swords as weaponry has a virtual reality system that our own world has yet to invent.

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I read the first couple of pages then decided to quit reading the debate.

Every game I’ve played have people complaining that that game has people working on the wrong things and should only be focusing on the important things by jiminy.

Oh course, by important they mean the things important to them and the group they hang with.

They do focus on the important things. The important things are many and diverse just like the players of this game. I don’t mind when they focus on things important to you that I could care less about. They will focus on things important to me too.

One thing I would like to see them being given credit for is this: they are releasing some sort of content each month.

We complained that the one time events over strained the servers and were at times that many couldn’t participate and were too compressed and we missed a lot. They now give us time to complete things.

We complained that many were unaware of events going on and couldn’t they communicate better. They put in the listing of the events on the upper right and sent in game mails.

We complained that the cities needed something in them to attract people to them. Mini games, quests, etc. They put one in this month.

Now we complain that they responded to our complaints. For some reason this song just popped into my head …. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya1cGyaeaXw

Edit: And now I see I’m complaining about complaining. Meh. Mea culpa.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

(edited by Katz.5143)

in Super Adventure Box

Tobias Trueflight.8350

There are hours upon hours of content that sticks to the original aesthetic and feel of the game. When you add in content, it doesn’t detract from the original content. If this content isn’t up your alley, then don’t play it.

Not doing it does not solve anything. Simply seeing other people with this sort of stuff ruins the atmosphere of the game. I can not participate in that stuff from now til the game shuts down, but someone running by with an 8 bit skin or a goofy backpack ruins the feel of the world. You can’t simply not do the content or ignore the items. How would you feel if, in the next Hobbit movie, one of the dwarves was just an 8 bit cartoon? Would you just not look at him and it would be ok?

I’m all for funny stuff and minigames and holiday events, but let’s keep them consistent with the world we are in!

You could use that excuse to put anything in the game. Why not just say a wizard did it?

Doesn’t make it any less consistent. Asides, the only thing we’ll see out of it are new skins, and with that said we still have people walking around with candy canes and toy rifles. I think that’s more “immersion breaking” than this (not that it is).

That’s exactly my point. Toy skins are a subset of the stuff that doesn’t feel like it fits into a game like this. It’s impossible to list everything.

Oh, I’m not a writer. I imagine it would be something a little more coherent though.

It’s silly how a world that has not evolved past swords as weaponry has a virtual reality system that our own world has yet to invent.

It’s evolved past swords. You’ve got gunpowder of some sort, steam power, complex architectural building, and lighter-than-air based airships. That’s without looking towards what the asura were cranking out over two centuries ago.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Necrochild.1497

Necrochild.1497

Oh noes, GW2 isn’t another super serious fantasy game.

Quick, get me some foreboding stories and brown textures before I have to launch one of hundreds of other games that fall within my expectations!

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Spendingallmytime.7249

Spendingallmytime.7249

RE: Title

A fun game that does fun things.

Why you bein’ cute?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

Well… I didn’t have the patience to read through all the posts, but here’s my opinion: I hate people who use the argument “Just have fun” or “why so serious(not referring to a certain clown)?” because it puts people down who enjoy serious gaming, and many would say “it’s just a game”, but I don’t see any reason why “just being a game” would make it wrong for a person to play the game seriously.
However, I myself am not against the event, as I see it fit within the Asura’s reach to make, however the retro and abnormality of its place in Guild Wars is probably from the event it was assigned for, April Fools, thus meaning it’s a kind of joke because of its abnormality and not something to be scene as a serious/important event in the game, but more scene, for lack of better words, as a “filler event” due to it not being of great importance in the game, but still a new and limited time mini-“world event”.
My advice, ask ANet to create an “Extra Muter” that mutes sounds outside of the normal game’s theme that you can toggle so you can avoid hearing that 8-bit sound that annoys you and just go on about your business. I can’t say it’s a perfect solution, but it’s what I got.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I agree with the original post also. We don’t need this in the game.

How about spending the time improving the boss fights and make things more random, instead of so scripted. Apparently that isn’t important.

My issue is how much resources they have spent for this (hours of content which has pretty much nothing to do with GW2).
Arcade-style arena would have been faster to create and expand, while still delivering the same message.

I hate to repeat myself over and over on the forums. Really. But a very small team handled this, and Anet has many, many people and many different teams. The bug fix guys were still fixing bugs while this was being made. The balance guys were still balancing classes (or trying to). The texture mapping is so simple it would have probably only taken one texture map artist a very short time to make them. The environment is ridiculously simple and would have also taken one guy a very short amount of time. The AI and programming are simple. Making this dungeon would have been absolutely nothing to a tiny team used to dealing with a game as complex as GW2, and other teams were still working on the main game. I can’t fathom why people don’t understand this. They would not have had all of Arenanet in there working on this ridiculously simple April Fools’ dungeon. Stating “they should have been working on other things!” is no reason to hate on this dungeon, because it’s a moot point. They were working on other things.

Working on what other things? Do you actually have some solid information or just guessing? Do you happen to know how many dev-hours it took?

SAB is a one huge jumping puzzle. Do you really call that terrain “ridiculously simple”? If you compare to dungeons where terrain barely matters…
I admit I’m not a pro programmer but based on my experience stuff is often much harder to make than it seems.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

Stop being so grumpy, it’s a bit of harmless fun!

If you really don’t enjoy it do not take part in it, avoid Rata Sum, do not open the mysterious boxes!

Sure ill just turn off all the sound to so i dont ahve to here anoying 8bit music in the load screen, or the anoying sounds of all the effects and pets running around.

Im not a RP player or anything but i like to be immersed in a world when i play, and this stuff destroys it.

Im happy some like it I really am, but this game is turning into something other than a fantasy mmo. Personally this makes me sad.

You know, he’s right. Every few months, guild wars has to drop everything and thrust a new stupid jumping puzzle in your face. There’s no avoiding seeing or hearing about it.

Elyl Jrend

in Super Adventure Box

ophidic.1279

Figures that the first fun thing to be put into the game in ages would be hated. How about we remove anything deemed childish and immature so we don’t break people’s precious immersion.

what about the game itself? In ages? are you kidding me?! it’s been AGES since launch?

If you people want mario brothers SOOOO MUCH, get off guild wars and go get a NDS, & play a casual.

Elyl Jrend

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

It’s evolved past swords. You’ve got gunpowder of some sort, steam power, complex architectural building, and lighter-than-air based airships. That’s without looking towards what the asura were cranking out over two centuries ago.

Exactly my point – how come we are still using swords when people have invented teleportation, flight, and virtual reality? Do you really not see the problem here?

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

Exactly my point – how come we are still using swords when people have invented teleportation, flight, and virtual reality? Do you really not see the problem here?

Why can’t it be that way? I prefer to have a bunch of themes thrown together (as far as GW2 is concerned, medieval fantasy, magitek, steampunk, whatever else I might be missing) than having one generic theme.

Figures that the first fun thing to be put into the game in ages would be hated. How about we remove anything deemed childish and immature so we don’t break people’s precious immersion.

what about the game itself? In ages? are you kidding me?! it’s been AGES since launch?

If you people want mario brothers SOOOO MUCH, get off guild wars and go get a NDS, & play a casual.

GW2 is ultimately catered to a casual crowd innately. Most of the stuff in game cannot be at all be considered for the hardcore crowd. If you’re looking forward to hardcore stuff, especially in PvE… well, I wouldn’t count on it.

(edited by Heijincks.9267)

in Super Adventure Box

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Okay, let me try to follow up here.

• Magic-based long-distance transit, as the Asura Gates, have really come a distance from the last time we saw them. You know, when they were insanely dangerous to use due to the Destroyers controlling the central hub? Now they’re less centralized and open to use for the other races. This is progress, but since the asura are the ones in charge they’re the ones who get to decide how fast it expands and what innovations are pursued. Which, knowing the way asura work . . . is really a surprise it got this far without something exploding.
  • Flight via lighter-than-air vessels is inherently dangerous, especially if we assume the air pocket is of, say, hydrogen. Which is lighter than air, easier to procure, and yet exceedingly volatile. To be honest? We don’t know what is in those vessels but the bulk of them are barely the size of recreational yachts in the real world. This is not something which can be used for transit, especially when the Gates exist in the first place. Even cargo transit is cheaper to achieve by subcontracting out for a Gate.
  • Virtual reality. We’ve had the Mists since, well, forever. The Fractals of the Mists prove they are . . . in essence . . . very similar to said virtual reality. Also, there have been noted people who have stated “the holodeck will be mankind’s last great invention” but I can’t recall who off the top of my head. I’ll edit in later after I do a Google crawl. On the bottom line, it’s an asuran invention and is controlled by someone who is . . . notably, from conversations near him, VERY tightly controlling of how it’s used. You will likely not see it get much farther than this for now.
  • Guns vs swords. I know you didn’t mention this but I better nip this right now. Guns have an effective range which is different than swords. Swords are better up close (excepting some warrior skills) and in general are built specifically for close combat. Guns are built for ranged combat, and the types of weapons available in this game primarily resemble musket-type guns. They’re not very advanced, and probably aren’t going to get as close to modern or even early 20th century firearms for a while yet.

. . . and in a realistic term, they’re not as effective up close where someone can grab it and you lose control of where you are aiming it. Frankly, weapon use in fantasy settings always baffles me when I start trying to learn about the use of them. Lots of things just plain feel wrong and are outright opposed to what I learn about traditional use of these weapons. Especially greatswords.

That went off on a bit of a tangent

• Magic-as-technology. Please note that as often as asuran technology (based on study of magical laws) works properly, there are equal amounts of time it doesn’t. For every Luminares Grid there’s a Thaumanova. The only device which, so far, hasn’t failed catastrophically in use are the Gates . . . and even they have a glitch which became noticed (see: Fractals of the Mists). In short, it’s a little early to be assuming just because asura can do some things with their technology, they can push it further or do it reliably and safely.

Edit: I forgot some words.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Alarox.4590

Alarox.4590

So I see two perspectives here. People who like immersive RPG games, and people who have no capacity to take that seriously. At least, that’s what I saw based on the first page.

Asking what kind of game this is meant to be is a legitimate question. Is this game designed for a serious crowd of gamers, or meant for super adventure box gamers?

Alarox – Human Guardian
Rampage Wilson – Charr Engineer
Sea of Sorrows

(edited by Alarox.4590)

in Super Adventure Box

Tobias Trueflight.8350

So I see two perspectives here. People who like immersive RPG games, and people who have no capacity to take that seriously. At least, that’s what I saw based on the first page.

Asking what kind of game this is meant to be is a legitimate question. Is this game designed for a serious crowd of gamers, or meant for super adventure box games?

“Yes”.

Which is kind of the problem, really.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Alarox.4590

Alarox.4590

Asking what kind of game this is meant to be is a legitimate question. Is this game designed for a serious crowd of gamers, or meant for super adventure box games?

“Yes”.

By that I guess you mean it’s in limbo between those two crowds?

If so, I agree. It seems like the original designed is exactly what the first group enjoys, while that’s been ignored and they’re trying to build the rest of the game for the second audience.

If so, it’s a good business plan.

It’s not important, but it seems like ArenaNet is trying to cover two of the large bases. The hardcore grinder who needs the carrot-on-the-stick. The casual who likes the mini-games to kill time and spends money freely on cosmetics.

Although, there’s the gamer in between the two…

Alarox – Human Guardian
Rampage Wilson – Charr Engineer
Sea of Sorrows

(edited by Alarox.4590)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

“Yes”.

By that I guess you mean it’s in limbo between those two crowds?

If so, I agree. It seems like the original designed is exactly what the first group enjoys, while that’s been ignored and they’re trying to build the rest of the game for the second audience.

If so, it’s a good business plan.

It’s not important, but it seems like ArenaNet is trying to cover two of the large bases. The hardcore grinder who needs the carrot-on-the-stick. The casual who likes the mini-games to kill time and spends money freely on cosmetics.

Although, there’s the gamer in between the two…

They gave the hardcore crowd something already. Ascended. Time to give the casuals a turn.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: MiloSales.8560

MiloSales.8560

Using real world logic for a fantasy game never works.

Elementalists can shoot balls of fire and lightning.

Why would anyone use a sword or even a gun?

It’s pointless. If you can’t suspend disbelief then Call Of Duty 53 is that way —>

The game has a sense of humor about it’s self, always has, and does by design. It’s nothing new.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: SideStep.1347

SideStep.1347

For those not familiar with anet, please take a look a past april fools jokes in Guild Wars 1.

Well, if you are not familiar with the retro look. Take look back at how graphics were back in the SNES, Nintedo 64, PSone and the 3dfx Voodoo in the 90s era. Its a reminiscence of that age with rough looking graphics.

For gameplay, styles and sounds uses Zelda, Mario, Ninja Gaiden, Final Fight and everything from the 80s and 90s. Its pretty amazing what they are offering and doing for a april fools joke for next to nothing.
Final Fight-Continue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43xvpcYgw1U
Ninja Gaiden-The Crusher might be inspired from this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVz9__a8x-I

As for music you can use for example a modern game with retro style Retro City Rampage, more commonly know as chiptune music, used in the 80s and 90s. Heres a link from the producer explaining how they can make all of this possible. The Making of a ROM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvx4xXhZMrU

I dont think the music of the character select screen brakes any immersion the game has nor the inclusion of this update since its entirely left as optional (and free) for you to do so.

You cant buy a ford truck from the store but since its launch in August 2012, theres a lot of dresses you can buy thats from our world and not from GW2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR2Esy83MQ0
Looks like someone already posted the link. Maybe an assault rifle.

From what I can see is that some players dont like looking at a retro look nor another people with retro. Remember this will not interfere with your Main Quest, Dungeons, WvW, sPvP nor anything else.

One more thing, all events are more or so like this one, huge changes and goodies, especially Halloween and Christmas events.

(edited by SideStep.1347)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

If you can’t suspend disbelief then Call Of Duty 53 is that way

Kinda this.

I’d like to chime in that even the “serious” CoD franchise has a joke mode. That joke mode is kitten zombies. Case in point, you’d be hard pressed to find a game developer that doesn’t throw in a few easter eggs or a big head mode here and there, even for the grittiest, most M-rated fare.

If it’s a matter of immersion, the first guy running around in pink shorts in orr is probably going to destroy immersion a lot faster than a few holographic bunnies.

This game, since relase has never been terribly “immersive” or “gritty” Sure, it’s a departure from GW1. However it isn’t a departure from the tone of GW2. The game as a whole is decidedly early teens saturday morning cartoon. It’s got a backbone of story and lore, and some serious moments, but for the most part its a fairly lighthearted game, which isn’t suprising given the firm “T” rating.

Tyria is a lighthearted fantasy setting now. Yes. Even the Charr. They’re what pass for “gritty” in tyria. If you hadn’t picked that up in the past seven months I don’t know what to tell ya.

Personally I think SAB is a well designed little game in its own right, and the “spill over” on to actual tyria is no more or less invasive or offputting than the wintersday or halloween events.

It’ll be over soon. In the mean time, how about that flame and frost content, eh?

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: caiomacos.1694

caiomacos.1694

I agree with the original post also. We don’t need this in the game.

How about spending the time improving the boss fights and make things more random, instead of so scripted. Apparently that isn’t important.

My issue is how much resources they have spent for this (hours of content which has pretty much nothing to do with GW2).
Arcade-style arena would have been faster to create and expand, while still delivering the same message.

I hate to repeat myself over and over on the forums. Really. But a very small team handled this, and Anet has many, many people and many different teams. The bug fix guys were still fixing bugs while this was being made. The balance guys were still balancing classes (or trying to). The texture mapping is so simple it would have probably only taken one texture map artist a very short time to make them. The environment is ridiculously simple and would have also taken one guy a very short amount of time. The AI and programming are simple. Making this dungeon would have been absolutely nothing to a tiny team used to dealing with a game as complex as GW2, and other teams were still working on the main game. I can’t fathom why people don’t understand this. They would not have had all of Arenanet in there working on this ridiculously simple April Fools’ dungeon. Stating “they should have been working on other things!” is no reason to hate on this dungeon, because it’s a moot point. They were working on other things.

Working on what other things? Do you actually have some solid information or just guessing? Do you happen to know how many dev-hours it took?

SAB is a one huge jumping puzzle. Do you really call that terrain “ridiculously simple”? If you compare to dungeons where terrain barely matters…
I admit I’m not a pro programmer but based on my experience stuff is often much harder to make than it seems.

They are working on basically every aspect of the game.

Custom arenas (as well as spectator mode) seem to be near release, which is a need for sPvP: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/What-will-be-custom-about-custom-arenas/first#post1681498

WvW had this new update removing the culling and adding WvW progression.

Regarding PvE they are moving on with the Living Story. Only God (and ANet devs) knows what the future holds for us. They also added Guild Missions and are working on improvements on it.

Basically, they have different teams working on different aspects of the game.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

so somebody invents something in game, wich is obviously higher advanced than previouce inventions and that annoys you?

it’s called evolution

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Undeadkemea.4865

Undeadkemea.4865

At the OP….wow really? Your topic and a lot of responses made me laugh really hard though, so that’s atleast good.

The whole gw2 experience, from lvl 1-80 is pretty kitten serious if you follow the heartquests, events, personal story whatnot. The dragons are a really big threat. Zhaitan makes zombies out of people his army killed. People die left and right. It’s serious business.
The dungeons and their stories, also seriousness.

This is just april’s fools! Nothing to be so grumpy about.

Immersion breaking? So if there is a cube, in rata sum(the city of cubes) which takes you to a minigame you can completely avoid, that’s breaking immersion? Ok sure, maybe if you hate 8bit stuff and creativity, I guess.
Also, this fits perfectly for asuras. Making stuff like this, a whole VIRTUAL WORLD in which you can participate! The idea of playing a game with your character is pretty cool…being inside a virtual world while being inside a virtual world…gameception?!

People who do not get this, I guess the joke is on you. Now lighten the F up or just quit playing this game if you cannot withstand jokes like this altogether :P A huge amount of people enjoy this content alot, maybe try and see why?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Brinson.7289

Brinson.7289

Game launched and its a beautiful fantasy world, possibly one of the best ive played.
But im starting to see it go down hill pretty fast.

I mean what exactly is Anets goal here? Is it not a fantasy game ?
It had some questionable concepts at first, then back packs and hoodies came out in the store…..really ? theres almost nothing worth buying as is, and 1 of the 3 armor sets looks like a reject from a bad kiss concert superhero convension..

But now theres the super box…..now im seeing people running around with digital monkeys and theres anoying digital effects and clouds……

So what is Anets goal here? some kind of hybrid game ? will I be able to buy a ford truck in the cash shop soon ? maybe a skate board ?

Am I the only one disapointed by this stuff? The game has the potential to be a fantastic fantasy world and instead its turning into some kind of mashup of american mmo game play and nonsensical japanese anime styling .

Can someone explain the point im missing ?

I believe the point you are missing is that you are not an Asuran Engineer.
If you have ever been to Rata Sum before March 31st; you’d have seen the magnificence of Asuran technology.
There are glowing lights and floaty things all over the place.
I don’t think the lore of the world is broken just yet.

I could totally understand your gripe if you are a charr [everything in black citadel is dull and mechanical] :-P

\-\ Poquito (Engineer) /-/ Tarnished Coast
Not Sure If Serious [BZNZ] ||| Cynical [CYN]

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

I enjoy the SAB. I actually think it fits, logically, into Rata Sum quite well. I think they just need to remove the things in the open world.

in Super Adventure Box

ophidic.1279

so somebody invents something in game, wich is obviously higher advanced than previouce inventions and that annoys you?

it’s called evolution

Umm, i’m not so sure you understand what evolution is.

Elyl Jrend

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Brinson.7289

Brinson.7289

Anyone questioning the “immersion” of this event needs to read the following two wiki pages and roll an Asura:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rata_Sum
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Asura

Anyone ever seen an Asuran Portal in the game yet? LoL [ Good greif! ]
[The original Asuran homeland probably looks exactly like Tokyo. Rata Sum is their refuge after the great destroyer made great use of its name.]

\-\ Poquito (Engineer) /-/ Tarnished Coast
Not Sure If Serious [BZNZ] ||| Cynical [CYN]

(edited by Brinson.7289)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Sokina.8041

Sokina.8041

TL:DR of this thread: “You got your chocolate in my peanut butter.”

If SAB is the only thing breaking your immersion of this game you need to open your eyes a bit more. Or is this just the scapegoat since it’s widely enjoyed and you want to be the guy who doesn’t like it?

Why are dragons attacking and I’m sitting here hitting grubs with a hoe?
Why does Jormag have so many lieutenants that decide to use the same tactics only to inevitably fail to the same tactics?
Why does rubbing a dead person bring them back to life?
Why does this not work on everyone?
Why don’t we ever see mountains of corpses of men, women, and children alike? Maybe the dragons aren’t that dangerous?

To me, it seems like OP has a case of “I wanna be the guy that doesn’t like this.” Clearly released around April Fool’s for a reason, clearly not supposed to be heavily lore inspired or related. It’s supposed to be a fun, joking alternative. If half the people who claim “oh my god it breaks my immersion so much” looked at the rest of the game, they’d release SAB and Quaggan backpacks are literally the worst, and least important, examples of immersion-breaking one could use. Quaggan backpacks and SAB were developed with the intent of being silly. The real problem these “my immersion is broken” guys should have is when the game TRIES to be lore-intensive, and falls back on itself.

But no, let’s look more at SAB and how an April Fool’s event, (Which is a completely separate content addition than what we were promised, and isolated from both the WvW patch, Flame and Frost content, and upcoming “SPVP patch” or whatever it’s called.) is ruining this game’s immersion.

Game needs less fun and more “Chief Ulgrimmar of the Hitarlo clan spent 67 days fighting the Skurge menace outside the great golden walls of Ah’djhja’dikao. But then, his rival from Tyujjiha, General Huthi, used a great winged Qwerty beast to ransack the small village of Dwarf’s Beard and ruin his opponent’s supply lines.” Lore and immersion are fine, but it’s perfectly healthy to have silliness and fun. If I want lore I’ll read a kitten book, but if I want fun I’ll play a game and expect to be entertained.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: KjarlSeaspite.9573

KjarlSeaspite.9573

OP confirmed for MUH EMMERSHUN!

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Feida.2163

Feida.2163

Honestly guys why are we debating this. We are all older or younger gamers alike. But we are all gamers none-the-less. So Anet puts this fun dungeon in and its a throwback to the beginning of our roots is that so bad? We’ve been through almost 9 generations of gaming guys. Countless wars btwn developers and gamers alike. Certainly we can enjoy some Nostalgia for the bygone eras. Is that so wrong?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

I dont see any problems regarding immersion and the S.A.B. GW2 is one stretch beyond steampunk fantasy. It’s has dragons like most high fantasy setting, but it lacks orcs and elves, it’s has gunpowder weapons, flamethrowers and lasers.

It’s a science-fantasy MMO with high fantasy aspects. S.A.B fits right in the way it is. 250 years have passed since GW1, alot can happen in 250 years, just look at where our own world was 250 years ago.

p.s. If you hate the 8-bit music… turn off your game music!

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Holograms aren’t even that new in Asuran Technology, anyone playing some parts of the Personal story should know this.

However, this mini-game takes you outside the game itself, which makes it feel disconnected with Tyria. In a sense people are losing themselves in GW2 where their character and thus us as gamers are losing themselves in a virtual -virtual reality.

In my opinion the weapons could’ve looked more like devices that projected a blade or a gun barrel or a shield. Basically exactly like lightsabers. Instead of full holograms. That way you have the technology part of Asurans still there, while staying true to SAB as well. Then again, you also have the Foefire exotics which all are ghost weapons, and “the mists” weapon sets which all are shimmers of the mists as weapons.

But I would say this minigame is VERy on the edge of immersion though.

I still like Rox and BRaham more than SAB in every way.

I feels like other asuran NPCs should enter the box, and possibly appear in the box, since it is an educational tool after all. This would really add to the feeling that you are in fact in a holographic experience.

Even more so when next year or whenever, the Box breaks down and asuran technicians are needed to repair. Or really, anything that puts more Tyria in the box. :P That is something I would enjoy, at least.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Guild Wars 2 is a fantasy MMORPG. But that may or may not coincide with your definition of a fantasy MMORPG; nor does it need to conform to your definition of what you believe a fantasy MMORPG should or should not be.

If anything, I kinda like these little science-fantasy ‘tongue-in-cheek’ additions.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Sev.5769

Sev.5769

So much “I’m a serious gamer” narrow – minded elitism.

I play EVE Online. Super “serious business” game, and I enjoy the theme of dark, dystopian universe where you can lose your entire wealth overnight with one stupid decision. If you’re so convinced you’re – hardcore – and above us “simpletons” that like the SAB, try it. You’ll see just where you stand in the realm of serious gaming soon enough.

I also play Guild Wars 2, and I enjoy the oftentimes whimsical “science fantasy” (Thanks, earlier forum poster!) theme. Being able to play casually makes for a nice, relaxing change of pace when I feel like it.

It doesn’t have to be all one or the other. Learn to enjoy different aspects of a game/different types of games, and your gaming experience will be all the richer for it. Even if you really can’t bring yourself to like a particular game/event/The Super Adventure Box, just move on. Nowhere was it stated that the developers were going to turn GW2 into an exclusively serious business fantasy title. You have your story, your lore, your quests, and you also get sillies like this from time to time to lighten the mood. You get so much different content to enjoy, if you don’t like one aspect just go enjoy something else. If you really can’t bring yourself to enjoy the overall game or the direction it’s headed, find something else.

It’s already a basic disconnect if you don’t like the casual, less – serious foundation of the game, and especially since many of the detractors seem already aware of it, and appear to have been for some time hanging around to consistently wallow in negativity is no longer “rational criticism” but obnoxious moaning.

Sev Dreamweaver

(edited by Sev.5769)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

Game launched and its a beautiful fantasy world, possibly one of the best ive played.

It had some questionable concepts at first, then back packs and hoodies came out in the store…..really ? theres almost nothing worth buying as is, and 1 of the 3 armor sets looks like a reject from a bad kiss concert superhero convension..

But now theres the super box…..now im seeing people running around with digital monkeys and theres anoying digital effects and clouds……

So what is Anets goal here? some kind of hybrid game ? will I be able to buy a ford truck in the cash shop soon ? maybe a skate board ?

Am I the only one disapointed by this stuff? The game has the potential to be a fantastic fantasy world and instead its turning into some kind of mashup of american mmo game play and nonsensical japanese anime styling .

I thought it was pretty obvious. Asura have floating glyphs all over Rata Sum but that doesn’t bother you. They have headless robotic golems that talk, fight, follow you around and even serve you, but that doesn’t bother you. Their entire city floats off the ground, yet that doesn’t bother you either. All of their cultural weapon skins look like futuristic weaponry, yet that doesn’t bother you. But suddenly, when one Asura makes a video game, the red flag goes up. Moto (the Asura who created the Super Adventure Box) is doing what an Asura does: they create unrealistic devices for science. There is nothing lore breaking about what is being done here. There is nothing out of character here. Even the mini pets are just robotic animal forms of golems that follow you around. All I see here is a whiner.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: MidnightSun.7964

MidnightSun.7964

Anet did this with GW1 and will continue to do it. It’s part of the culture that they have created. I think the most important part of this whole thing is that you have to remember is that this is just a game and you aren’t paying a monthly sub fee. If you’ve gotten more than 60 hours out of the game then I would say you’ve definitely gotten your monies worth. Just relax and play another game and come back later on down the road if you feel like it.

<insert something witty>

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Coolmoos.8546

Coolmoos.8546

You could just NOT go in the zone…

Atriese 80 Thief – Os Guild [Os] – Northern Shiverpeaks

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Rachiia.6045

Rachiia.6045

Mostly, I agree with you. It’s not in tune with the world ANet has created with GW2 and I find it more than a bit jarring. It would be like watching Game of Thrones and suddenly have the characters pull out light sabers, or have the screen switch to black and white.

However, it’s just nonsensical fun. People love goofy stuff like this. If that’s the direction ANet wants to go in, that’s cool.

It’s clear this isn’t* suppose to be a grim, hardcore immersion game. Other MMOs – Warhammer, Age of Conan, The Secret World – have tried that and failed. I think they failed for lots of other reasons than being true to their theme, but if the unending success of WoW has taught MMO developers one thing, it’s better to be goofy than not.

Those players who hate this kind of thing will start jumping ship and go to Neverwinter and ESO when they’re available. I know I will.

I do think this kind of thing would be more appropriate if ANet has set the tone for humorous stuff like this earlier. If it had always been a light-hearted, joking romp of an MMO, no one would care.

But to be completely fair, the Asura have always been a bit goofy, I guess.

(edited by Rachiia.6045)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Meridian.8730

Meridian.8730

I like the idea, it’s a blast from the past in style and I think it’s the coolest thing to hit the otherwise same-old graphics and general aspects of MMORPGs in a long time.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Fun. You’re missing the fun & replacing it with stringent fantasy “rules” for no reason.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Grizledorf.5290

Grizledorf.5290

It’s just a bit of fun for April. And judging by the Super Adenture Box forum, it’s extremely popular with many calling for it to be permanent.

It’s fair if you don’t like it, but just ignore it

Im not saying i dont like it, its fun, however it doesnt fit in this game, it makes no sense to me and destroys any sense of immersion of the game.

whatever theres no point arguing this, im done with the game, ill check back in a few months and see if its been improved.
Only reason im sitting here kittening now is cause im waiting for something else to download.

Still a shame, hope Anets gets there kitten together.

q q good riddance, can i have your gold, see you tomorrow.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Bubbles.1047

Bubbles.1047

Tried the instance today. Horrendous. And that’s with muted sound.

Hey Anet, can you now start working on some 32-bit instances that feature difficult bosses designed for squads of 20ish players?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It’s an April Fools joke. It’s not an expression of Anet’s future plans for the game any more than the Commando missions in GW1 were.

If you don’t like it then ignore it. It’ll only be here for a month, then you can forget about it.

Until next year anyway.

Edit: Also don’t forget part 3 of Flame and Frost was added recently and part 4 will be added soon. If you want serious fantasy content that’s it. (Or as serious as GW2 gets anyway, or fantasy for that matter. Even the really dark stuff has it’s comic relief.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Strawberry Nubcake.7163

Strawberry Nubcake.7163

This thread makes my inner child want to cry. She’s sad because some of you seem to have lost yours. Are you guys really so “grown up” that you can no longer appreciate stuff like this?

I’ll be joining some of you in the 30 club in a few days and the SAB had me sitting at my PC with a stupid grin on my face. It’s FUN! That’s why I play games… for fun. I’m weird like that!

Anyone that played GW1 should have known that Anet has a history of doing stuff like this. Their events for April Fools Day have been getting more elaborate over the years. What were you guys expecting? Everyone getting transformed into quaggans for 24 hours? Borrrrring!

SAB breaks your immersion? What about the holiday events in GW1 that left behind stuff that some people might consider too silly or immersion breaking? I’m sure seeing a monk running around with with a wintergreen spear, hot pink wedding dress and a walking pile of candy corn following behind probably didn’t kill the immersion for anyone! All those people wearing Santa hats and jack-o-lanterns all year round fit in perfectly! Right? If there’s anything we should be wearing while adventuring in Elona, it’s a Santa hat!

Take all of that into consideration and tell me what gave the impression that GW2 would be a srs bsns fantasy experience.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Arc.7346

Arc.7346

Serious games are hardly fun for me.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Pietoro.2014

Pietoro.2014

This thread makes my inner child want to cry. She’s sad because some of you seem to have lost yours. Are you guys really so “grown up” that you can no longer appreciate stuff like this?

I’ll be joining some of you in the 30 club in a few days and the SAB had me sitting at my PC with a stupid grin on my face. It’s FUN! That’s why I play games… for fun. I’m weird like that!

SAB breaks your immersion? What about the holiday events in GW1 that left behind stuff that some people might consider too silly or immersion breaking? I’m sure seeing a monk running around with with a wintergreen spear, hot pink wedding dress and a walking pile of candy corn following behind probably didn’t kill the immersion for anyone! All those people wearing Santa hats and jack-o-lanterns all year round fit in perfectly! Right? If there’s anything we should be wearing while adventuring in Elona, it’s a Santa hat!

Take all of that into consideration and tell me what gave the impression that GW2 would be a srs bsns fantasy experience.

I’m 32 and I love ‘revisiting my childhood’. This is a great mashup of the old Zelda/Mario games, and as someone who just loves -games- and isn’t hung up on maintaining some ‘hardcore/gritty/srsbsns’ cred like some of the complainers in this thread, I’m having a great time with the SAB.

If it hurts your ~immersion~ that there are people in Rata Sum playing an 8-bit retro jumping puzzle you really should probably take a break for awhile anyway and get your priorities checked.

+Gaura Havocshot – Engineer
+Felzza – Elementalist
+Roienna – Guardian

(edited by Pietoro.2014)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

Maybe it is because I work in the industry, but I am having a blast with this update. I think it is so cool that they had a small team put this together. I am 25 years old btw.

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: captaincrash.6528

captaincrash.6528

It’s an alternative. Is your fantasy world still there? Good. Now there’s this if you decide you don’t feel like killing dragons today.

Crash ~ Charr Reaper

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Premium.4075

Premium.4075

Why so serious?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

SAB is for the Mario / Zelda fans not the Golden Axe/ Double Dragon fans.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.