AR achievements make me want to stop playing

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Sakri.7234

Sakri.7234

Hi,

Collecting achievements is a major motivation for me in the game. I have tried getting the skill-based AR achievements multiple times and have not yet got any of them. Now, it doesn’t bother me that they are hard to get, that is OK. However, I do have an issue with the time limit of getting them. If I don’t get them before this event is over, I’ll never get them thus foiling my attempt to eventually get all the PVE achievements in the game. It is very possible that I’ll stop playing if that happens.

So Anet, please make this instance permanent and do not do time-restricted skill-based achievements in the future. Thanks for reading.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Sakri.7234

Sakri.7234

I am somewhat. But that’s the way I roll. I don’t think I’m the only one.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I am also like this, but I dedicated ~15 hours (so far) to doing the dungeon and have gotten all the achievements.

See: This link

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Venirto.4208

Venirto.4208

I finally had some time to try this dungeon. After 3 different attempts I can describe it with one word: frustrating. The visual aspect is great, but the core mechanics is just bad. Im talking about all situations where you die instantly, or how difficult some of the achievements are if you don’t have experienced team. Molten dungeon was superior to this one, this might be my first event where I won’t get all achievements.

My rating: 3/10

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: OptimusPrimo.9547

OptimusPrimo.9547

You’re not alone here OP. I don’t mind leaving these achievements to a later date if the dungeon was permanent, but temporary dungeons means a small time frame to get them and they stay uncompleted forever if you don’t get them in time.

And I get really OCD if there’s uncompleted stuff that I can’t ever finish because the content is missing. Some people don’t realise that we don’t care if it only takes 12/19 achievements to get the event reward. If I end up with 18/19 when the event is over, all hell breaks loose.

ASUS Rampage IV Formula / Intel i7 3930K @ 4.5 / 16GB G.Skill RipJawZ @ 1600 / 2 x ASUS GTX 680
Intel 520 120GB + 240GB / 2 x WD Caviar Black 1TB (RAID 0) / Corsair AX1200 / ASUS VG278H
Windows 8.1 Pro x64 / ASUS Xonar Essence STX / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech Z-5500

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Aarean.5398

Aarean.5398

Its so funny seeing posts like this. I have the same thing and i worked my butt off for my 2 off days constatly worrying and trying over and over. I finally got them. Arena net sucks for putting this kinda rush into a game. You will thank the heavens when you finally get them. Sacrifice a few days to it and focus.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Curuglas.1847

Curuglas.1847

Well, I can relate to the OP. I don’t mind if anything is hard, but I will mind if due to RL time restrictions and a time limited dungeon I won’t be getting the achievements.

And if this happens I will be done with GW2 – without time limit.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

I think 60% of the players are just casual gamer. They hit on then with “non-doable” content, with RNG boxes and Overpriced items in TP
It is enough we have Elitists in the game, now we see them in A-Net developers too
Sad but true

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

I think 60% of the players are just casual gamer. They hit on then with “non-doable” content, with RNG boxes and Overpriced items in TP
It is enough we have Elitists in the game, now we see them in A-Net developers too
Sad but true

I think it’s okay to have them, but I’d rather they remove them from the achievement list when its over, so those that didn’t bother with it don’t have to see empty bars all the time – keeps it clean.

for those that did complete it, have the technology auto move the achievement to a new tab.. perhaps named “legacy” or something like that, far out of the way.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: sYlt.9865

sYlt.9865

I’m also in the same position as the OP.
I’ve gotten all achievements from the previous events but now I just can’t, it’s so infuriating that I’ve decided to quit GW2, simply because I’ve tried and failed every single time and when this event ends I won’t stand watching those achievements uncompleted forever. It makes me sad

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Risingashes.8694

Risingashes.8694

I’ve gotten all achievements from the previous events but now I just can’t, it’s so infuriating that I’ve decided to quit GW2, simply because I’ve tried and failed every single time and when this event ends I won’t stand watching those achievements uncompleted forever. It makes me sad

Join an experienced group, listen to what they tell you to do and do it.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

You should all abstract yourselves from the situation and look at it conceptually. Anet has given you an optional task and time limit to complete a thing. If you do, then you get 5-15 arbitrary points added to your score.

Players with the disposition of “do not do time-restricted skill-based achievements in the future” have somehow come to the conclusion that they should be given achievement points and have to do as little as possible to earn them. If that doesn’t sound preposterous then look up the word achievement. These time-restricted, skill-based achievements are actually the only honest achievements we have. They are the only ones that say “How good are you at the game? How fast can you adapt to a new challenge? You have two weeks to prove it.” And if a player can manage to do it as designed, that is an achievement.

They are not for content tourists. They are there for the extra challenge. Time limits add pressure. Skill demonstrates personal level of game mastery. Time limited skill challenges are executing a certain level of game mastery under pressure. If someone can’t do it, then they just weren’t good enough. And that is ok, in games as is in life, no one is expected to be able to achieve everything. If a person puts that on themselves, then they are setting unrealistic goals. Maybe they will get better and be able to manage the next one that comes around.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: cillercammy.8064

cillercammy.8064

You should all abstract yourselves from the situation and look at it conceptually. Anet has given you an optional task and time limit to complete a thing. If you do, then you get 5-15 arbitrary points added to your score.

Players with the disposition of “do not do time-restricted skill-based achievements in the future” have somehow come to the conclusion that they should be given achievement points and have to do as little as possible to earn them. If that doesn’t sound preposterous then look up the word achievement. These time-restricted, skill-based achievements are actually the only honest achievements we have. They are the only ones that say “How good are you at the game? How fast can you adapt to a new challenge? You have two weeks to prove it.” And if a player can manage to do it as designed, that is an achievement.

They are not for content tourists. They are there for the extra challenge. Time limits add pressure. Skill demonstrates personal level of game mastery. Time limited skill challenges are executing a certain level of game mastery under pressure. If someone can’t do it, then they just weren’t good enough. And that is ok, in games as is in life, no one is expected to be able to achieve everything. If a person puts that on themselves, then they are setting unrealistic goals. Maybe they will get better and be able to manage the next one that comes around.

Best response I’ve seen to these posts so far! great answer!

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: joaoantunes.5367

joaoantunes.5367

Are you serious? Just because you’re thrown something that takes a little more effort to do you decide to quit the game? This wonderful game?

Honestly, people complained when we were given the Southsun one time event, saying that they didn’t have time to log in, later people complained because the Clocktower was too hard, then because the RNG didn’t reward effort, instead making players run around and kill ‘x’ mobs and light ‘y’ effigies.

Now that we are finally given a dungeon that actually takes more than zerker gear and dodge to win, people are complaining because it is too difficult? What do you want then? The game to be 100% casual? If it was that way people would just play it and then quit, which is happening to 90% of the game’s content.

This new dungeon is frustrating, nerve wrecking, demands high skill plays and team coordination. That’s what you need to get the achievements.

I might not be able to get some of them (avoid the lasers and the cannons AoE), but at the end of the event, even if I don’t get them, I’ll surely feel that the time I put into trying to get something done was more rewarding than teleporting around and mass killing holograms. I’ll feel that I had fun, I trained my map awareness, team coordination and survivability. If I get the achievements, even better. But I won’t sulk over a dungeon being ‘too difficult’. I refuse to do that, GW2 is probably the best MMO I’ve played my entire life.

Sorry if I sound too hostile, I too have the achievement OCD. It’s just that I don’t let that impair the overall playing experience. (Just between you and me, I actually missed the last achievement within the Molten Alliance chapters – I though the NPC you had to talk to wrap up the story was available until one day, and it wasn’t. I’m still annoyed as hell ><).

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Flameseeker.1563

Flameseeker.1563

I, and i guess a lot of others, don’t care about the achievement points. We just like to complete every single thing the game as to offer and the time limit just screw us around.

My master thesis is due e a few weeks so i can’t spend 12h/day in the game like i did at the launch week. Even worse it pains me that most of my friends left the game and I won’t join a guild if i know that i’ll be offline most the time. So in my limited time to play i got to deal with pugs, which many fail miserably.

Timed achievements like this aren’t any kind of real pressure if you have time to play. The problem is that i only have time to try about twice a day always with a group that was made on the spot. If the content was extended at least people would eventually learn and pugs would have an actual shot at this.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Expiration dates on content give a bad feel to the content.

People who likes to complete things feel pressured to get things done before the time runs out.

Achievements that may have to be attempted a lot of times should not be part of temporary content.

It creates all the problems we are having in the game.

Game achievements are something to do when you have time and are prepared. Not something to call sick at work so you may be able to get it, because at the hours you play may not be enough people or players good enough for that.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Voltar.8574

Voltar.8574

You should wait until after the event is over and see if there’s not enough time. People bellyaching that it took them a concerted day to finish 2 weeks of content doesn’t impress anyone. Don’t complain, just do it. What I hate is running around LA clicking on stupid things 200 times. Thank Anet for making achievements something to achieve…or not.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: dunnberry.2964

dunnberry.2964

Well cya no one will miss you, kinda sad if you’d quit a game for not getting 1 achievement…

Borlis Pass
Asuran Engineer (Lost)

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Ronah.2869

And that is ok, in games as is in life, no one is expected to be able to achieve everything. If a person puts that on themselves, then they are setting unrealistic goals. Maybe they will get better and be able to manage the next one that comes around.

Games should be design in such a way to make every player escape the cruelty unfair real life. We all know the discrepancy in reality, why do we need to face it in the games too?

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Ronah.2869

Well cya no one will miss you

How do you feel if someone else would say the same thing to you?

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Galliard.5768

Galliard.5768

Well cya no one will miss you, kinda sad if you’d quit a game for not getting 1 achievement…

Awesome. I hope you enjoy the game as gradually people filter away to play Neverwinter or back to WoW or off to Elder Scrolls Online.

Someone is talking about how achievements with limited time frames are limiting their ability to actually get those achievements, and that this negatively impacts on their game experience. Your response? They can go.

Well, ANet needs to take commentary seriously. Because the game is impacted negatively by a lot of these little decisions. The RNG obtaining of skins for weapons, the limiting of content by time frames and the difficult involved in grinding out those goals in short time frames.

For me? I ignored most of the Sky Pirates content – Dragon Bash was grindy and the feedback I’m getting for the dungeon isn’t great. Combined with the jumping puzzles/caches, it’s not anything that interests me. So that’s this few weeks of content that doesn’t impress. On top of the horrible Canach rubbish in the Southsun content, ANet needs to turn things around and get something more engaging for me next time.

And broader time frames for gaining achievements would probably be a thoughtful step.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Verdelet Arconia.6987

Verdelet Arconia.6987

4 types of stereotypical players
1)Whiners
2)Achievers
3)Cheaters,
4)Don’t give a kitteners

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Gordok.2146

Gordok.2146

I would agree with all of that if 1- what anet says to do for personal space was’nt wrong or 2 even dodging every single circle completely also does’nt work. Only way to get this one atm is to do the log out thing. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/skypirates/PERSONAL-SPACE-what-needs-to-be-done/page/2#post2319380

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

Hi,

Collecting achievements is a major motivation for me in the game. I have tried getting the skill-based AR achievements multiple times and have not yet got any of them. Now, it doesn’t bother me that they are hard to get, that is OK. However, I do have an issue with the time limit of getting them. If I don’t get them before this event is over, I’ll never get them thus foiling my attempt to eventually get all the PVE achievements in the game. It is very possible that I’ll stop playing if that happens.

So Anet, please make this instance permanent and do not do time-restricted skill-based achievements in the future. Thanks for reading.

I stop caring for achievements since this patch cause u get something not worthy of your time. Im somebody who doesn’t care much about minis.

I stop caring for achievement s since this patch cause at the u got something not worthy of your time

vvuevv

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Mister Stygian.2135

Mister Stygian.2135

I get pretty OCD about the achievements, but it wouldn’t make me quit. My first thought on the dungeon was that it was pretty hard-my party wiped 2 times on last boss, but I also enjoyed dungeon and felt like it had a good drop rate because of all the veterans. If you spend time there, you realize the achievements aren’t that hard to get-I did have to do relog for personal space but felt like I didn’t get credit one time when i went back through combat log.

It helps to look for an achievement oriented group because you will have experienced players in it. The trick to getting boss in under 15 minutes is to not have players drop during the bombard phase and to stack in every blue AoE to debuff fast. Support actually does better than DPS for this. I have done it three times now always with 2 or more guardians in group.

I was always just one or two laser hits from getting FTL and repetition will get you that one.

(edited by Mister Stygian.2135)