Asko.4120

1) make the camera zoom as close to the character as possible

2) have the camera change angle semi-randomly every 2-3 seconds

Immortal Kingdom [KING]

Guide to making challenging jp'

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

actually.. the JP chaos crystal cavern already does this in a fun and cool way. but if you accidentally fall you only have to repeat a few jumps, not >10 minutes like the new JP.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: DaMunky.6302

DaMunky.6302

Step 1: Limit use of mesmer portals to the mesmer that placed them only.
Step 2: Done!

Dear lord, what have I done? – Matthew Medina, Gw2 Content Designer

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: God Of Fissures.8627

God Of Fissures.8627

That destroys the entire purpose of Portal in cooperative scenarios like WvW and dungeons.

i7-3770K (Delidded) @ 4.6GHz | nVidia GTX TITAN X@ 1468/7800
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz @ 2400MHz
Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD | Windows 10 x64

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

DaMunky.6302

I’m not suggesting this change everywhere. Just a good idea to do to specific areas, like Jump Puzzles that you want people to actually do themselves.

God, no. That would ruin Portal. I don’t want Portal ruined, it’s an awesome element in the game as-is. Just, I think its usage in Jump Puzzles is far less awesome.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

Last time I checked, Portal requires usage affirmation. If you don’t want to use it, don’t. I, personally, did my best to do this jumping puzzle without cheating. Eventually I got to a point where I spent an hour doing the same section over and over and over again. That’s not fun.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

You’re sick. ewwwww

There was an Anet staff member portaling people yesterday. Seems legit.
Up to others if they wanna accept a Mesmer’s help or not. The JPs are for fun.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

And what fun is there in entering a JP, taking a portal and porting out with the achievement 5 seconds later?

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Portal’s are a whole heck of a lot more fun than most JP’s. I’ve never done a JP and thought, "Wow what an awesome experience! " And, I’ve spent 4-5 hours at a stretch portaling others in EB.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Oranisagu.3706

if the JP design was a bit more forgiving in terms of having a checkpoint system (gotta love some of the asura-themed ones), I wouldn’t even have switched to my mesmer. unfortunately, the new JP, while it has an awesome design, is pretty much all or nothing. kinda sad really. I needed my mesmer to create backup-portals in case I fell. that’s something the game should already provide imho.

apart from that, JP’s are a matter of taste. unlike the previous poster, I remember a few JP’s I really loved. goemm’s lab for one, apart from the better-have-stability parts. or the branded mine (so many red herrings!). or the 12 balls of frustration were actually pretty fun imho. personally, I really like JP’s, but I prefer those with checkpoints. also, if there’s a possibility of dying, it can be annoying if there’s nobody to ress you (some puzzles have npc’s for that – good idea, like with the baby quaggans)

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

DaMunky.6302

I think the best case scenario would be if you can get a bundle item usable only in jump puzzles that gives you a skillbar something like:

1 – Swiftness 3s duration, 10s cooldown
2 – Something similar to Rifle Jump, 60s cooldown
3 – Personal Portal (works only for person who placed it), 120s cooldown
4 – Stability 3s duration, 120s cooldown
5 – Shrink character to Asura-sized, no cooldown

That way you get all the essential JP skills from every class but if you want to totally use them as a crutch you have to spend a lot longer waiting on cooldowns. I mean, aren’t all characters supposed to be equals in the JPs, and rely only on player skill?

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

This…lol

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

You want “Guide to making a useless skill”

It’s just up ahead, down the hall to your left.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

Does this thread have a /sarcasm tag?

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Oranisagu.3706

I think the best case scenario would be if you can get a bundle item usable only in jump puzzles that gives you a skillbar something like:

1 – Swiftness 3s duration, 10s cooldown
2 – Something similar to Rifle Jump, 60s cooldown
3 – Personal Portal (works only for person who placed it), 120s cooldown
4 – Stability 3s duration, 120s cooldown
5 – Shrink character to Asura-sized, no cooldown

That way you get all the essential JP skills from every class but if you want to totally use them as a crutch you have to spend a lot longer waiting on cooldowns. I mean, aren’t all characters supposed to be equals in the JPs, and rely only on player skill?

personally, I think this would actually be the worst case. it’s a clutch if everybody has to get some bundle item just so he can complete a jumping puzzle. it also completely destroys the notion of having enemies in a puzzle.

in detail:

• uncontrollable jumps like those from weapon skills shouldn’t be part of a jumping puzzle. if something like that is needed or wanted, there are already the pads around with the exact same (horizontally and vertically).
  • swiftness should never be needed for a JP, in some cases it can help make long jumps easier, but it should never ever ever be a prerequisite (or give every class a viable chance at 100% swiftness uptime)
  • portals should help speed stuff up. either allow them as they are or completely disable them in JP’s. I’m actually all for disabling them, IF the puzzle is designed properly with checkpoints etc. without those, let’s just keep the portals. everybody has the ability to create a mesmer if they want to. it’s not like it takes forever to level up high enough to use portals. some people will never want to do JP’s themselves. if the rewards are large enough to only give them to people doing the complete puzzle, add flagpoles like in guild rushes.
  • stability again is a mechanism that should be a help to get through if you’re lazy, it shouldn’t be a prerequisite. cliffside fractal is a perfect example. stability makes it faster, but you really don’t need it.

the only point I liked were the transforms. those are a very good idea for crowded areas. the charr/norn-hate (I silently participated as well) from clocktower was pretty bad for the community. I’d really like a cheap endless potion to transform into another model (i.e. 5 laurels for an asura tonic or something like that, 20 laurels for a skritt tonic etc. offer some variety, as long as every model is the same size).