Should I even try this dungeon?

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

From the sounds of it, the Sky Pirates dungeon needs a lot of coordination and the guild I am in… just doesn’t have ANY. Its taken me weeks to try and get my Arah story done with my 5th character, and even then I had to do it with 1 guildie and 3 randoms.

From what I have read in other threads, I may as well not even bother with this dungeon.

Is it really this hard as far as teamwork goes, or should I give it a go?

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

IMO you should always give something new a go, however you should also be prepared to bring a bit of patience and time with you.
Depending on your group you might need those.

The dungeon is interesting but unless you have said coordinated group of dedicated players, rushing it isn’t an option. That however isn’t necessarily a bad thing as far as I’m concerned.
It’s possible to do it with a group that isn’t “well coordinated”, at least if people are capable of learning and a bit of movement.
It might take a little longer, but it is still doable nevertheless.

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: PokerTuna.6170

PokerTuna.6170

I say do it. As long as people are learning from their mistakes it takes a few tries, you don’t even need to talk. You can also read guide on dulfy.net or any other site and just explain to your team what to do. I’ve learned it the hard way – tried, tried and tried. Eventually I completed the dungeon and when I went there for the 2nd and 3rd time I asked who doesn’t know what to do and then explained it.

I know that sometimes people can make you cry – they are not actually using their brain, just tired, lagged etc. but all in all I think they are getting better – just give them time and help them.

Anyhow, I want that monocle so I think I won’t sleep enough tonight.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: spconder.2489

spconder.2489

Give the dungeon a go. I’d avoid grabbing a PUG unless you absolutely have to, because this dungeon can’t be facerolled the way, say, CoF P1 can, and many people will quit when they can’t figure out why spamming 100 Blades isn’t working.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Draghmar.2594

Draghmar.2594

Good PUG is good. I tried this dg with pug. This was my first time there and we manage to almost kill last boss – we were killed when she had <25%HP and I didn’t have time for second attempt).
So I think you don’t have to give up on this dungeon. Especially when it’s quite fun and challenging.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: XENus.6931

XENus.6931

Tried it my team always gets wiped… not fun at all to me

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

I have done it 2 times now with complete pug groups. I say at least try it. I think it is not as hard as people make it out to be. Don’t stand in red and focus on what you are doing not others and you can do it.

I plan on continue pugging it until I get my monocle :P

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

No you shouldn’t. It’s too hard. Why would you even think of doing something that is slightly challenging???

(gamers these days….)

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I’m glad this is tough, It’s kinda funny there are dungeons that lead up to this in terms of challenge, but nobody does them so many people are just terrible :P

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If I believed everything I read on the forums I’d have never attempted dungeons at all. I definitely wouldn’t have started with Arah on a ranger.

Give it a go. If your guild are no good then find a group elsewhere, but don’t give up without even trying because someone else found it hard.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

Why not? You lose nothing by trying

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: negerleif.2106

negerleif.2106

you lose gold for repairing your gear

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Sat outside shooting fireworks until I got picked. Completed it easily enough, died a few times to unfamiliar mechanics/damage. Went to fill a spot on another group where someone left due to wiping at the sparkle-pain-mixer-thing room, completed that easily enough too. Don’t think I died that time but we lost a thief and ranger now and again. Discovered the shield comes off quicker if I distract Trin in the AOE for a bit then dodge out and heal.

The only really trippy thing was bouncing up those pistons. Rubberbanded like crazy on the first run, and the camera hitting the ceiling fails to help. Not as bad as dying when running down stairs/slopes though, so as a means of traversing heights I’d rate it better than most other parts of the game.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

If you lose more than a few silver repairing your gear, get your pockets repaired at the same time.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

IMO you should always give something new a go, however you should also be prepared to bring a bit of patience and time with you.
Depending on your group you might need those.

The dungeon is interesting but unless you have said coordinated group of dedicated players, rushing it isn’t an option. That however isn’t necessarily a bad thing as far as I’m concerned.
It’s possible to do it with a group that isn’t “well coordinated”, at least if people are capable of learning and a bit of movement.
It might take a little longer, but it is still doable nevertheless.

It might be easier to accept this view if the dungeon wasn’t around for only two weeks.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

My first pug fell apart at the beams, second pug finished it. It doesn’t need so much coordination as much as players who are willing to fail more than 3 times at something without leaving. Once you know the tactics it gets easier.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

lol, my first pug wiped repeatedly enough for all my armor to get damaged, to repair it cost about 10s I think?

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

All of my runs are with random. Some of these randoms are good, some are bad.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Teevell.1684

Teevell.1684

Read up on the fights here on the forums, let people know it’s your first time in and try to do it with friends. It’s not that bad, but most people somehow acquired a “I’ve never done this new content before so it should be easy” mentality, I’m not sure where from. If you go in thinking it’ll be challenging and you’ll actually have to know how to play your profession, you’ll do all right. Bring stun breakers, I forgot on my run, probably would have made it a lot easier.

Tarnished Coast

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: havoc.6814

havoc.6814

Don’t try it! Losing alot of time just to have it bug out on you is rather unsatisfying.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: balto.6408

balto.6408

I just did it from 1st try as a casual player. Was fun!

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Are you a Ranger? Then don’t bother

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

Give it a go, you might enjoy it. I enjoyed it up to Fizz, at which point all enthusiasm was gradually leeched away. However it seems that some people are really enjoying the challenging nature of it so you might too.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

It’s pretty fun. And you don’t need actual coordination as much as some smarts at playing the game. Most people should be able to handle that tbh. Rage quitters are wasting their time when it’s doable.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Enjoyluck.2618

Enjoyluck.2618

Rage quitters give space to pro’s :P

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

No. Not worth the pain. The constant beam fields were annoying, the enemies were annoying, and the Frizz lab boss fight (and apparently the one after) were designed with your suffering as the top priority, as well as breaking your armor.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

PUG it!

I have the same problem as you OP. Some of my guildies are just impossible to coordinate with (we usually fail 2-MULT bounty boss).

Failed with my guildies, did it with a PUG.

An advice would be: look for people above 2-3000 ahcievment points, they tend to be better at these.

Oh and: prepare to wipe about 2-6 times.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

At my first encounter I didn’t really know what to expect. A lot of people said that it was very difficult and that they kept wiping until they gave up.
So I braced myself for a very difficult encounter.
I must say that I was dissapointed.
The dungeon is very easy and I think we wiped a single time because someone was trying to ress at a bad point of time.
Everybody should be able to this dungeon fairly easy.

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

No you shouldn’t. It’s too hard. Why would you even think of doing something that is slightly challenging???

(gamers these days….)

Step into spvp, tpvp, or even wvw THAT is a challenge. Carebears are always quick to assume that PvE is “challenging”.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

GuzziHero.2467

TBH the rewards aren’t worth it.

I’m not really interested in anything to do with the ‘Sky Pirates’ (like I have seen them to anything aerial!) so I think I’ll leave it.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Cassius.4831

Cassius.4831

You should wait until it can be done without major bugs (nowadays you can get stuck just before the final bosses if Kiel becomes bugged)

Because this dungeon IS bugged.

“Guild wars is for everybody, freedom is ascended, zerg is strength”
~ G. Orrwell, great shaman of the new flame legion, 1984 AE.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

You should wait until it can be done without major bugs (nowadays you can get stuck just before the final bosses if Kiel becomes bugged)

Because this dungeon IS bugged.

There are multiple solutions to this bug. Regardless, I would say run with pugs. It’s definitely easy.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Kathy K.6812

Kathy K.6812

The rewards aren’t all that great, but the dungeon seems pretty interesting

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: docMed.7692

docMed.7692

Just another thread that supports my request for hard mode vs normal mode and fair rewards for both! Great dungeon design though, I found the encounters fun and good examples of what ArenaNet could do if they pushed the 10-12 man raiding envelope!

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Paradox Xion.1038

Paradox Xion.1038

I wondered the same thing. Kept reading and hearing how “bad” it was.
Did it with 3 guildies and 1 pug. Didnt use a voice server, 2 had run it before.
We wiped 2x at the lab and 2x at the final boss due to 3 of us being new to the fights.
3rd time we beat it. Took us 30-40 min total. It was fun so give it a go.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Don’t underestimate the power of the PUG. Even fantastic players need to PUG. I’ve had amazing PUG groups. This dungeon is no different. First PUG we got through all up to boss fight before Kiel bugged and we had to call it.

I wouldn’t PUG with anyone under level 80, personally, for this dungeon. Having good gear makes a difference. But I would 100% PUG it again and again. I PUG FoTM as well for levels up to 30 and rarely have an issue.

I can never say that there isn’t a chance that you will get a bad PUG, but don’t discount it based on a few bad experiences.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: signahead.7281

signahead.7281

If you enjoy the people in your guild (even if they have trouble coordinating) and you trust them not to lose their tempers while they figure things out, then grab a guild group and go for it!

If you’re worried that you, or your guildmates, might get angry or combative in the face of some nasty real-time problem-solving, then you might want to look for other options.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

Don’t underestimate the power of the PUG. Even fantastic players need to PUG. I’ve had amazing PUG groups. This dungeon is no different. First PUG we got through all up to boss fight before Kiel bugged and we had to call it.

I wouldn’t PUG with anyone under level 80, personally, for this dungeon. Having good gear makes a difference. But I would 100% PUG it again and again. I PUG FoTM as well for levels up to 30 and rarely have an issue.

I can never say that there isn’t a chance that you will get a bad PUG, but don’t discount it based on a few bad experiences.

This.

I did it with a PuG as my guild is practically dead (aside from this inner circle of friends), was a good experience for this dungeon- there will always be the off chance of a bad experience but don’t let that deter you.

The dungeon itself… it’s worth a look especially as it’s limited content, plus the artists probably spent a lot of time on it so worth visiting just to see their work.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

Basically this.
However, as this dungeon is slightly more difficult than the others, one
bad player is enough to svrew the whole group over, at least in the
Mai Trin fight as your group will try to ress the person and just get downed in the process.
Yes you could do the boss with 4 people but due to her teleportshot
not being avoidable you need the baddies as a meatshield.
Normally you can see if a PUG is good or not at the Frizz fight;
more than 2 wipes and I personally quit it. No need to waste anyones
time or money.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

Give it a shot. I’ve had better luck with PUGs (the last one I had was absolutely perfect – almost zero communication, but everyone played off each other well) than guild runs, quite honestly.

It’s just a crapshoot with PUGs. While you know the skill level of your guild, you won’t know the skill level of the members of the PUG. You may get a terrible group, an average group, or an amazing group.

Keep in mind that sometimes, guild runs can be worse, because people can be more lax with fellow guild members. If you’re downright bad in a PUG, you have the risk to be kicked. Forces some people to up their game. Sometimes.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Voltar.8574

Voltar.8574

Pug’d it on the second try. I almost wonder if the same people that complain about having to coordinate are the people that complain about no tank/healer/dps. Sounds like a barrier for some people to learn.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If you’re planning to do the achievements then I’d do them this weekend. There’s less and less people doing the dungeon now.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Quite frankly I haven´t got the slightest inclination to even try it with my guild.

I could care less for the “achievements”.

What I read in the guide sounds like being a cat in a room full of rocking chairs and on top of it, learning this dungeon is virtually useless when it´s again gone for good next week or so.
But maybe I´m a bit burned out on GW2.

Polish > hype

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

GuzziHero.2467

Well, looks like I can’t do it if I try.

Can never get more than 1 guildie interested. Tried joining PUGs, noone ever seems to be asking for/taking on randoms, at least on DB. Even the AAA guild formed to run it never has more than 2 players on the same server.

I don’t give a hoot about the poor looking monocle that just floats there, I just wanted to play it to see the story. Doesn’t look possible, however.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

Well, looks like I can’t do it if I try.

Can never get more than 1 guildie interested. Tried joining PUGs, noone ever seems to be asking for/taking on randoms, at least on DB. Even the AAA guild formed to run it never has more than 2 players on the same server.

I don’t give a hoot about the poor looking monocle that just floats there, I just wanted to play it to see the story. Doesn’t look possible, however.

You don’t need to be on the same server to run the dungeon, the only thing you can’t do is have NA and EU people playing it together.

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Greyfur.1082

Greyfur.1082

I tried it; got to the end but my deteriorating twitch skills and color blindness did me in even with the wavy lines. So we could not finish and it was mostly my fault for dying so much.

(edited by Greyfur.1082)

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Of course you should.

Like King Leoric says in Diablo III: “ALL SHALL SUFFER, AS I SUFFERED!”

Share the pain!

Now, seriously, all you need to do is making sure people understand what they have to do before each fight:
- In the normal fights, go first for the veterans (and normal ones with your AoEs), then for the elites (the ones with silver portrait frame).
If you get rid of the fluff first, fights are easier. Also, go first for the Thumpers and the ones that make all the lightning, their CCs are annoying.
- In the beam boss, tell people to avoid melee and stay away from the beams. The golems can be hit with unblockable attacks like ranger traps, traited marks and Static Fields when they are supercharged by the beams. Invulnerability allows to going through the beams without being harmed (if hit while invulnerable you won’t lose the achievement). So elementalists, guardians, engineers and mesmers can have a bit of a leeway. Specially elementalists with their two invulnerability skills.
- When Mai has her shield, stay close to her and keep the electric field (the sparkling blue ones, the others do nothing to her) from Horrik between you and her, so she’ll enter the field when she goes after party members. Stay together and close to her, or she’ll use her slow projectile and shadow step to you for a lot of damage. You can be hit by any of Horrik’s large AoEs in this phase and still get Personal Space. If you have high health, try to stay in the Electric field with her so she won’t leave. She’ll lose about 4-5 stacks if she takes an entire Electric field. If it takes you more than 3 Electric Fields to take the entire shield, you are going too slow.
- During the barrage phases, SPREAD, if you go together, the barrages will overlap and cover greater areas, and even hit in front of where you are going. Instead, spread and stay as far away from each other as possible, and stay still unless you are inside an AoE. The AoEs will not overlap as much and you’ll be able to avoid them by simply taking a step to the side here and doing a dodge there. Also, keep in mind that the AoEs lie. They are spheres, and they’ll hit you if you are too close to them, even if you are not inside the AoE:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9c/Sphere_with_cross_section.svg/304px-Sphere_with_cross_section.svg.png
See that drawing? Spherical AoEs rarely touch the ground in the middle. Instead, the usually touch it under the middle like the red section in the graphic, so they’ll hit further than the circle. So stay away from the border, not just the AoE.

But you can’t control other people. So even when you tell them what to do, sometimes they will do anything but that.

All you can do is keep trying until you find a decent party.

But if you only can play within a certain schedule like 2 hours each day during the weekends, just a few days may not be enough for that.

I hope they bring back these achievements if they turn this dungeon into a fractal. Or, even better, if they transform it into a proper Dungeon with explorable paths. The dungeon may seem small, but it’s actually really large, because it’s very vertical.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

I haven’t even played it yet. Maybe if it had a group finder. To help me find players that just wanted to play for fun “win or lose” without the fake elitism some players project.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Greyfur.1082

Greyfur.1082

After you defeat the last bosses is there a cut scene? , if so maybe someone or Anet should upload it for those of us who cant finish it. Just so we see the story atleast.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: AlphaDelilas.2873

AlphaDelilas.2873

I’ve said it before, but I must have lucked out and gotten the most amazing pick-up ever. I also watched a playthrough of the dungeon before hand, so I knew what to do and the others had beaten it before already. I thought it was really fun