Canach dungeon is truly a terrible experience

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: Toppins.2638

Toppins.2638

So I got around to trying Canach tonight. Oh boy.

The fight is slow-paced and boring. It is easy, yet the mechanics are clunky, confusing, and boring. Nothing seems to work right.

I “disarmed” every mine on the way to Canach’s room only to find that my disarm abilities did not work in his room. I waited through 6 or so rounds of him blowing up his mines with ~2 successful disarms the whole time. I was never in danger because as a Mesmer he just attacks my clones mindlessly for minimal damage.

So, I decide to lure him out in the hopes that my 2-3-4 abilities will work again outside of that kitten room. Nope. Got off a few more random disarms, but mostly failures even though I’m trying all different kinds of positioning to “disarm” them. Facing them, facing away from them, putting Canach between me and the mines. Everything.

After 1 hour of running around trying to “disarm” mines I just gave up and left. Wow. That was terrible.

Is there some kind of hidden “trick” to disarming the mines? I’m mostly confused because everything worked flawlessly on the way to his lair, and then abruptly stopped working. I found no guidance in any other threads on the topic.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

The biggest issue is that the mouse over information is basically wrong. You do not disarm the mines, you turn them from hostile to friendly. To be honest it would have been better if you would have needed to explode the bombs manually to damage Canach in my opinion.

To do it fast stay at the start of the boss room. there are 2 exploding mines there, alternate between those 2 to damage the boss. Turn one green and place yourself so the mine is between yourself and Canach to make him run over it. Do this until he’s dead. Don’t stand to far away from the mines or he might run around them.

(edited by Conner.4702)

Toppins.2638

To do it fast stay at the start of the boss room. there are 2 exploding mines there, alternate between those 2 to damage the boss. Turn one green and place yourself so the mine is between yourself and Canach to make him run over it. Do this until he’s dead. Don’t stand to far away from the mines or he might run around them.

So is there a particular trick to make the mines green reliably? Most of the time the disarm ability does nothing. I tried the alternate between bombs thing, but the ‘2’ rarely works. Caltrops go green pretty reliably, but they’re useless.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

I hope you are checking the icon above the mine after sweeping for them with skill 1. The only time I had trouble making them green was when Canach was re-arming them. Otherwise it never gave me any trouble. Re-arming turns the mines yellow and they will be unable to be made friendly for a few seconds after that.

Toppins.2638

I hope you are checking the icon above the mine after sweeping for them with skill 1. The only time I had trouble making them green was when Canach was re-arming them. Otherwise it never gave me any trouble. Re-arming turns the mines yellow and they will be unable to be made friendly for a few seconds after that.

Yes, that was the only part that was obvious. I sweep with 1, find a bomb, press 2, and…. nothing. I turn around and do a little dance around the ring spamming ‘2’ and… nothing. Sometimes it will go red → green, but it’s rare. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern to it working, either. Sometimes on the 6th time I press ‘2’ next to a bomb it goes green, just in time for him to detonate all of the mines. So then I have to wait for them to go back to red, just to be frustrated all over again.

Posted by: Halcyon.3981

Halcyon.3981

Do you have fast casting turned on for ground targeting?

Cause those disable traps are for ground targeting AoE’s…

Posted by: Jaycat.8167

Jaycat.8167

Yes, that was the only part that was obvious. I sweep with 1, find a bomb, press 2, and…. nothing. I turn around and do a little dance around the ring spamming ‘2’ and… nothing. Sometimes it will go red -> green, but it’s rare. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern to it working, either. Sometimes on the 6th time I press ‘2’ next to a bomb it goes green, just in time for him to detonate all of the mines. So then I have to wait for them to go back to red, just to be frustrated all over again.

Each ability on the minesweeper is for a different type of mine, if you’re using 2 every time (like you describer here) then ofcourse it’s only going to work on one type.

Toppins.2638

Do you have fast casting turned on for ground targeting?

Cause those disable traps are for ground targeting AoE’s…

This is probably it – thanks. The animation made me believe it was a PBAoE. I don’t know how on earth I managed to activate 20 in a row and then hardly ever after that, but live and learn. I’ll give it a shot when I’m feeling masochistic again.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

That absolutely is it, you have to put your target (or mouse cursor if you have fast cast) on top of the mine. You’ll turn it green every time, then you just need him to step on it while it’s green.

Posted by: Audrena.8604

Audrena.8604

Thread subject says it all.

From getting mobbed by Karka on the way to the entrance (err, wasn’t there a patch note that said they’d STOPPED that happening?) to repeatedly getting one-shotted by Canach after I’ve run him through only ONE mine (I’m on quarter-second lag thanks to being in Australia, maybe that’s an issue, maybe not… the FOG certainly is an issue) to stripping naked and trying it that way…

CAN NOT DO IT.

Never felt more angry with this game.

I know how to work the mine mechanic, but there is just not enough time, and one second too slow and you’re dead. Again.

NOT. FUN.

Very sad that I won’t be able to complete this achievement. Just about to hit 80, too, and the rewards would have been handy. But I am not bashing my head against a brick wall of bad design and fog and lag and stuns and one-shots to make it happen.

I might be able to eventually defeat it, but I suspect I would never want to play the game again afterwards.

Posted by: Audrena.8604

Audrena.8604

And of course after I exit, naked, broken and defeated, immediately after the loading screen I am two-shot by a mass of karka right there at the entrance.

Something that was supposedly “fixed”.

Done with this crap, I really am.

Posted by: Michaeas Magister.1589

Michaeas Magister.1589

And of course after I exit, naked, broken and defeated, immediately after the loading screen I am two-shot by a mass of karka right there at the entrance.

Something that was supposedly “fixed”.

Done with this crap, I really am.

They posted not once, not twice, but THREE times that they had “fixed” the bug where Elementalists would not have an attunement. They “fixed” the Engineer turrets until players brought the facts to their attention that they had not been fixed. I sometimes wonder if what is put into the patch notes actually gets tested and if so, HOW it gets tested as they seem to “fix” a lot of stuff that still seems broken after they have announced the “fix”.

Thanks.

It’s as I have always said,
“You can get more results with a kind word and a big stick,
than you can with merely a kind word.”

Posted by: Dand.8231

Dand.8231

I didn’t think the dungeon was all that bad.

It was a bit confusing however, took me a minute to realize what was going on with the landmines.

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

I didn’t think it was that bad either. My level 80s were able to take more than one hit from Canach if I missed my dodge, and he isn’t that hard to dodge. Heck I even beat it on my low level alts (~15 ele, ~7 ranger, and ~4 guardian), who also were able to make it there pretty easily. And while it’s been a while since I did the solo dungeon, doesn’t the chat tell you what to do (along with reading the tool tips on the mine sweeper). Honestly I think the more annoying issue was when (I think) they changed his behavior a little bit making him detonate his mines more frequently, just prolonging it.

Honestly, while still not too bad, the group dungeon is where I was more annoyed because people didn’t know what to do/did not listen and kept attacking the shielded golem or not leading him to a mine wasting time. My only adjustment would be to have increased the timer on the lightening dam/sec debuff, but for 50s reward for what could easily be 4-6min worth of work it’s not that big of a deal.

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Oh as a tip for Canach, I run to the back. There’s a #2 mine trap in the back right corner and another in-between the rock outcropping and the wall a little south of it. I just ran back and forth between the two, and there’s lots of open area to stand when he detonates his mines.