Crab Toss party poopers :/

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

I have already submitted a report to Anet (ticket #130515-001414), but I wanted to share.

So this morning I jumped into crab toss for some fun and a chance to get the “crabtacular” achievement. Nothing was said during the first round, there was no exchange of witty banter and/or remarks, and everyone seemed to be having fun. The game was played in complete silence (as it should be). I win the first round, and so the second round starts. When (we’ll call him Fluffy, as I don’t want to mention any names) Fluffy saw that I was still in the round, he immediately called me out saying “kitten off Wingz!” (Wingz is my name). I simply replied with “???”. Then I said (yeah I know, don’t feed the trolls…) “I’m only here to have fun and get the crabtacular achievement.” Then Fluffy started going on about how I was only in the round because I was an achievement wh***, and how nobody was going to win anymore because I had won the previous round. I didn’t say anything back because it was 9am, I hadn’t had any breakfast yet, so my “I don’t give a poo” level was outstandingly high. So I ran around enjoying the mini game while Fluffy continued to pour on the verbal harassment.

Now, here’s where Fluffy got creative. He ran over to the boxes, and found himself a fishing pole. Instead of targeting the person who had the crab, he targeted me and used it to grief me the entire round. I was occasionally able to steal it from him, and instead of griefing him with it, I used it on the person who had the crab (how the tool was intended). Obnoxious, to say the least.

After the second round was over, I came in second (even with Fluffy man-handling me the whole time with the fishing pole) and Fluffy came in last place with an amazing score of 0. Hoping Fluffy would get bored and leave, I waited for the third round to start. He was still there, and so I left. After I left, he started whispering me all kinds of insults, so I blocked him.

All I can say is, wow. This crabtacular achievement has really got me down right now. It is difficult enough, especially with those party poopers in there. The irony in all this, is that during round 2, some random person with the crab got the achievement because Fluffy reeled me into the path of a karka at the last second. Oh well, I guess I’ll try again tonight after work.

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

Some groups are great.. some you get a person like that. I had one group with a person like that last night because no one would give him the grab at the end of the game for the achiev.. that apparently is not how you get it anyway.

I just leave group and requeue. Most people seem to be having fun with it.

I hope you reported them for the abuse though so they can get a 3 day ban to learn some manners.

WatchTheShow.7203

Some groups are great.. some you get a person like that. I had one group with a person like that last night because no one would give him the grab at the end of the game for the achiev.. that apparently is not how you get it anyway.

I just leave group and requeue. Most people seem to be having fun with it.

I hope you reported them for the abuse though so they can get a 3 day ban to learn some manners.

Yes, I did report the guy. The achievement pops when everybody except the crab holder dies due to the karka death roll.

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Well, I know how he must have felt. Last night there was a guy who kept constantly winning every round and just wouldn’t leave, no one else could win cause he just knew better than the people in that game. I think using the reel on you is a valid tactic since you were probably the most likely to win again that time so all he was doing is playing the game. Whispering insults is just going too far though.

Posted by: Campalishous.9076

Campalishous.9076

This is a good example why I think only custom arenas should maintain their “rosters”. Anything hot-join, be it sPvP or in this case a Holiday event activity, should randomly put together groups so people aren’t so tempted to do things like win-trading.

[DIS] Campa Lishous

WatchTheShow.7203

Well, I know how he must have felt. Last night there was a guy who kept constantly winning every round and just wouldn’t leave, no one else could win cause he just knew better than the people in that game. I think using the reel on you is a valid tactic since you were probably the most likely to win again that time so all he was doing is playing the game. Whispering insults is just going too far though.

I can see this being a valid strategy. However, the crab landed near the guy’s feet multiple times. He didn’t even attempt to play the game. He never once made an attempt to pick up the crab.

Posted by: Notious.5408

Notious.5408

I agree that it is possible to grief ppl and you can also ensure that you don’t die and ppl will not be able to get the achievement. So pls give this ‘Crabtacular’ as a free achievement. Thx

Posted by: Skapocalypse.5236

Skapocalypse.5236

I have had this happen to me twice so far although without the verbal abuse. The fishing pole needs to be adjusted to be used only a few times. Both guys never touched the crab after they started this.

Also just because someone is winning doesn’t mean he should leave. The only way I got good at the game was because when I first played it some dude was smoking everyone. I studied what he did for a few rounds, emulated it and then lo and behold I started winning. The people winning the game know something you don’t, instead of griefing them and causing yourself to lose, watch and imitate them.

Skapocalypse/SkaP

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

It’s preventing you from winning… if you are always winning this is a valid strategy if someone does this to help others(even if he only gets 0). Only verbal abuse is bannable.

Posted by: Goldrock.9076

Goldrock.9076

Lol i really dont see the issue its a last man king of the hill style competition sure i understand the achievment but the OP was complainin because some crazy person whipping him with a fishing pole lol thats like complaining cause some annoying kid of xbox is noob tubing you with a rocket launcher on cod over and over again its ANNOYING but its completely legit leave the match and do it again. Maybe your get a better group. sorry didnt see the part where he said he was pmed insults

Posted by: Trent.6732

Trent.6732

I had this happen to me as well tonight. It’s definitely a pain in the butt.

If this event is going to stay beyond the living story I hope Anet will fix this. It would also be great to be able to report this griefing rather than having to select from the predetermined list of things since none of them really fit this.

(edited by Trent.6732)

Posted by: byronyuq.2917

byronyuq.2917

This has happened to me on a bigger level before. I’m knocked down and the crab is sitting on the ground next to me, but no one tries to get it. They just stand over me and keep hitting me over and over again for a whole 5 seconds. =/

Posted by: Aarean.5398

Aarean.5398

This has happened to me on a bigger level before. I’m knocked down and the crab is sitting on the ground next to me, but no one tries to get it. They just stand over me and keep hitting me over and over again for a whole 5 seconds. =/

Wow lol. They really gave you a beating. Get the chubby kid!

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I can see people getting upset over someone who is winning round after round after round and not giving others a chance at it. For someone to win one time and stay in the game should not be an issue with anyone much less the reason to grief someone. I am glad you reported this guy – he took it too far once he started pming you.

Posted by: Lpfan.3578

Lpfan.3578

Whenever I do the Crab Toss, there are usually 1 or 2 people who dominate pretty much every round and keep playing. I have never seen anyone actually complain about it though…. and I have stuck around for probably 8 rounds in a row before with the same 1 or 2 people winning by LARGE amounts every game except for maybe one of those games where someone else wins or scores are at least pretty close.

People like ‘Fluffy’ are not there to play and have a good time. They are there to win and when they don’t/can’t win they cry and act out. Best thing you can do is ignore and report.

As far as the fishing pole goes, I don’t guess it’s really against the rules for someone to use it on you the whole game. That said, it is still a very annoying and pathetic way for a sore loser to act out and I hope that there are very few people out there who will do that.

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

I can see this being a valid strategy. However, the crab landed near the guy’s feet multiple times. He didn’t even attempt to play the game. He never once made an attempt to pick up the crab.

-This assumes it’s also a pretty short-sighted strategy. If he thought you were there just to dominate an easy match over and over, he could dedicate himself to making that non-viable, at which point you’d have gone on to another match and he could resume playing normally.

Also just because someone is winning doesn’t mean he should leave. The only way I got good at the game was because when I first played it some dude was smoking everyone. I studied what he did for a few rounds, emulated it and then lo and behold I started winning. The people winning the game know something you don’t, instead of griefing them and causing yourself to lose, watch and imitate them.

-This isn’t always the case though. If you see someone doing better than you at a thing you have a reasonable understanding of it’s not too difficult to pick up on what’s happening, but if you’re new to it, starting with the basics is more helpful, as otherwise you might see what’s happening but not really grasp how it’s done or why it works. Same as how we tend to learn things outside of games really…

A lot of players (especially with the upscaling in SC) may be new to more than just the minigame, or not very serious about gaming in general, and trouncing them over and over could be keeping them from learning (or convincing them not to bother) rather than providing them with an opportunity. Or perhaps they do understand, but need to practice more, and aren’t getting much feedback from their attempts because the performance gap renders any slight improvements they might make nigh imperceptible.

Ideally if they want this to continue it would probably be useful to have a way to match people by experience/proficiency where possible.