Please, help with Canach: too hard for me

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

To be honest, I never found those games fun, but luckily games have mostly moved on from that paradigm. It seems, though, that someone never got that memo.

EXACTLY!
Mechanics like these(and I hated them back in the 80ies too) belong in the Moto Dungeon, where they can claim the “ironic” and “nostalgic” label.

I very much hope ANet takes all this feedback seriously and stops smarta__ing us with this hipster retro stuff during the normal part of the game.

Polish > hype

(edited by HawkMeister.4758)

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

I find the mechanics of it a bit weird. Sometimes I’d disarm (really more like ‘convert’) a mine, and he’d walk right over it without setting it off. Wut? Then the ones he did set off had almost no effect 99% of the time, but occasionally did obscene damage to him (or at least the regular explosive ones did, never saw the others amount to much).

Eventually I realized that after he hit a mine, he was no longer immune to conditions. So I just booted him around for a bit because he annoys me, then bled him to death with a rifle.

Amusing fact: with reasonable tank/healing, you can just stand at a (disarmed/converted) mine and have him set it off when he attacks you.

Also, >50% of the dialogue was mysteriously muted for me.

Posted by: ajm.2931

ajm.2931

I’m not an idiot, but this made me feel like one.

I get all the mechanics: disarm mine (turn it green), get Canach to run directly over it. (rinse repeat forever), use #5 to interrupt him resetting the mines. I still died in 12 attempts. Nothing works, green bombs insta kill me, and when Canach is low on health he just ignores them all.

I’ve never ragequit from a game before. but I had to log out…

Obic – Tarnished Coast
Yak Cultist and follower of the Great Golem God

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

I get all the mechanics: disarm mine (turn it green), get Canach to run directly over it. (rinse repeat forever), use #5 to interrupt him resetting the mines. I still died in 12 attempts. Nothing works, green bombs insta kill me, and when Canach is low on health he just ignores them all.

Once he’s_hit a mine (or a few more if that doesn’t work, but for me one has been enough) he’ll start taking condition stacks from your attacks. He’s also completely helpless to knockbacks in general, so on my warrior I had some fun punting him around the room before he died.

edit: most moronic word filter ever.

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

Try the mines at the start of the dungeon. Do they still insta kill you when you convert them green? If so then you may be lagging or are bugged. Convert it green and give is a second then try to step on it.

Other than that, he does convert mines back to red, so be aware of what he is doing as well. The only thing left is to not get knocked back into an active mine, which is all positioning.

Do they blow up on you every single time or just sometimes?

I don’t even bother with the knock back since it’s not a frequent enough cooldown to knock him back into mines when I want and won’t interrupt every single mine detonation he does.

I have done this both with my 80 guard and my 30 mesmer and had no problems with a heavy armor and light. Mesmer I just face tanked it as well at the entrance and just healed when I had to. Guard I didn’t even have to heal.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Nothing works, green bombs insta kill me,

If they are actually green, meaning you successfully disarmed a bomb mine and you still take damage then this is a bug.
I´d recommend writing a support ticket. If you still care though.
Or just ignore the kitten thing till they fix it.
The main reason to run it (farming 1 gold with all your characters) was “fixed” anyway.

Polish > hype

CMF.5461

Other reason is to get the achievement for participating in the event, which is what I think the majority want in the first place.

Posted by: ajm.2931

ajm.2931

okay, my lvl 80 was the rage above, smoked a cigarette and tried my lvl 40 Warrior… faceroll easy.

it shouldn’t be that big a gap in difficulty between clases.

Obic – Tarnished Coast
Yak Cultist and follower of the Great Golem God

CMF.5461

So, I made my wife sit down and try the fight. First I let her go on her own and she died, then I talked her through it and this is what I learned.

She was running into the middle of the room, positioning was bad, and she kept getting knocked into mines. Also she was not looking at the chat so she didn’t see what moves he was doing such as rearming mines or preparing to detonate all mines.

Then I coached her through it and told her go to the entrance of the boss room and just use the bomb mine to the left, put her back to the wall so he can’t dash and knock her into another mine. I also read out in chat when he was going to detonate or rearm the mines.

Doing this she won.

So if my wife can do it you guys can too.

She did manage to bug out one mine though and canach wouldn’t activate it. I think this was due to using too many disarms in quick succession. This may be an issue for some people. Focus on one mine and it may help.

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

it shouldn’t be that big a gap in difficulty between clases.

I put another post recently just about this issue

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Canach-as-micro-cosmos-of-game-balance/first#post2111201

Posted by: Cristobal.8640

Cristobal.8640

The mine bullkitten was getting frustrating (No clear indication on how it works, weird angle so the disable works… etc) until I died with my mesmer from I don’t even know what, pressed the bad key and casted confusion on Canach.

You will imagine my surprise when I saw it was dealing him damage, so I just rallied and killed it in like 15 seconds while standing stationary.

Pretty terrible design, a fitting culmination for what has been a subpar event mostly made for the sake of profit with no consideration at all for the art.

Shame.

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

I did it right after the patch. I just wedged my ranger between a flower and a wall away from any mines so she wouldn’t get tossed anywhere and spammed attacks until she hit 75% health, then healed. I repeated that for about 30 or 40 minutes. I never messed with switching the mines or anything. Even though it said I was doing 0 damage, his health bar went down over time (albeit really slowly). I should have read up on the tactics and saved myself some time. I just thought it was a really tedious event…

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I just solo’d him on my first try.

-Pick up a Mine detector
-Use skill #1 to scan nearby mines, this reveals what type they are (bomb, poison, cantrips)
-Use skill #2/3/4 on the correct mines to disable them (they turn green).
-Lure Canach over a disabled mine to hit him.

-Whenever you see him standing still, watch the chat for a message. If it says he’s about to detonate all mines, look for a safe spot, try to time a dodge, or make sure your HP is high enough to survive one explosion.

-Bringing utility that grants stability or stun breaks helps to counter his knockback attack.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Punk Rogue.9856

Punk Rogue.9856

Some of the mines will NOT get changed when you use the tamper skill, but they are underwater and the lightning effects do not appear when underwater, so you can’t see if they changed.

And sometimes they are instantly reamed BEFORE the rearming message appears.

I got the achievement with a legit mine-use run. But that was only after I understood this bug here that Mithran states. It’s important. After you use a mine for the first time and it respawns, it will be bugged. If you want to disarm it, use the disarm tool twice on it. That’s right, disarm once, wait for recharge, disarm twice. In the time it takes the disarm tool to recharge you can see the green mine switch to red. Sometimes instantly, sometimes after a second or so. I was originally disarming a mine and running to it to lure Canach. The buggy insta-switch back was nailing me. When you disarm the mine for a second time it will stay green until Canach blows them all up.

Also, I didn’t find a use for any of the mines except the bomb one. They probably do something… but meh, bomb mines kill him.

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

On my first run, I didn’t do any reading up on it beforehand and just talked to the NPCs in the instance. The whole reason they put a bunch mines in front of you before the boss fight was to practice detecting the mines and disarming them. When I started the fight, I realized I was doing no damage and picked up a mine detector nearby to disarm and kite him into one. I’m an engineer and not tanky so I just kept running away disarming mines. His attacks were pretty weak, around 500 damage per charge.

I didn’t know about using skill 5 to stop him from detonating all the mines. I kept trying to use it to push him in but it was terrible. When the mines respawn, they start off yellow which they aren’t armed yet and have to wait until it is red before you can disarm to green.