Sclerite Back piece: too easy to get

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

When i saw the sclerite pack i was blown away by how sweet it was until i realized that everyone is going to have it. While the RNG weapon drop scheme is complete garbage, IMO, i’d like to some of the super awesome items have a little prestige because they are hard to get, whether that means completing harder content or gathering rare mats.

It sucks to get something super awesome and them immediately see 3 other people next to you with it when you port to LA.

Posted by: BlasiuS.8961

BlasiuS.8961

Why are you letting rarity of an item change your opinion of it? You said it yourself: it’s so sweet that it blows you away. Even if every single player on the server had it, it would still be so sweet that it blows you away.

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

Yeah, if you really think its all that super awesome and great, you’ll be one of the few still wearing it after the new shiny wears off for most of the playerbase. Give it a bit of time.

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

As long as it works with your armor theme/color, its still your “unique” view of it. No one will match your use of it.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Wait 6 months.

It’s like the HoM items. When the game first launched the majority of players seemed to be from GW1 (obviously) so the HoM items were everywhere, especially the ones requiring less points. Now I often get people asking where I got the crown or the gauntlets or a black moa (items I wear most often) and they sometimes seem impressed that I’ve got them.

It’s the same with other items that are widely available for a limited time only, like the baseball cap that was free at launch. Everyone who was there at the time can get them, but not everyone will, and some will lose it or never use it or stop playing and other people will join and sooner or later it becomes rare and unusual.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

There will always be something new to wear and even now I don’t see my server full of those fire gloves from the flame dungeon. There are also a lot of people that don’t care about achievements.

Posted by: TheMagickDoll.7594

TheMagickDoll.7594

But at least you can get it unlike the horror of the stupid RNG boxes.

panzer.6034

I just wish they would “prestige” type items that weren’t pure rng. something like the fully upgraded fractal capacitor, maybe with less grinding one thing

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

You just invalidated your own argument. You want a prestige item that is hard to get so there are less players with it, but at the same time you want it to be easier to get so you don’t have to grind.

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

it’s only one per account, so only one char can have it and as
one poster stated, as with, say hom or halloween or wintersday, people
will stop using it after a while and the overall useage of different skins will even out

Posted by: Drakonis.4579

Drakonis.4579

It’s not a prestige item, it’s an event item.

RNG items aren’t prestige items, they’re RNG items. Getting a lucky dice roll doesn’t make it any more prestigious.

Why can’t we just enjoy the skins for what they are? If you like it, wear it! Don’t let the fact that it’s common take away from your enjoyment of it.

(edited by Drakonis.4579)

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Considering how many people were scrambling to get the F&F achievements in the last week even though they could have done each part bit by bit as it was introduced, we’ll still have people complaining that they didn’t have a chance to get it.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

Posted by: Air.3154

Air.3154

I just wish they would “prestige” type items that weren’t pure rng. something like the fully upgraded fractal capacitor, maybe with less grinding one thing

Eidt: nvm readed it the wrong weay.

Posted by: Barabbas.8715

Barabbas.8715

I hate elitists who feel the need to exclude others from having cool gear just so their fragile egos can be stroked a bit.

Posted by: Nimmi.1650

Nimmi.1650

I have a hard time understanding this mentality. If it’s cool and you like it, then you should wear it proudly. Who cares what other people are sporting. Event items tend to disappear with time anyways. The Halloween book was everywhere during that event. I hardly ever see it now.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Better than the impossible to obtain jetpack and super RNG gambling molten and living weapons. :/ Wish they just sold the skins like they did for Wintersday.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

When i saw the sclerite pack i was blown away by how sweet it was until i realized that everyone is going to have it. While the RNG weapon drop scheme is complete garbage, IMO, i’d like to some of the super awesome items have a little prestige because they are hard to get, whether that means completing harder content or gathering rare mats.

> got free item within hours of patch
> hard to get

My sides.

Posted by: Chamolin.4530

Chamolin.4530

I upgraded mine to ascended. Its a nice piece.

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

Yeh it definitely looks like Anet completely rolled over for the people that were complaining about some of the stuff in Flame and Frost being hard to get.

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Why are you letting rarity of an item change your opinion of it? You said it yourself: it’s so sweet that it blows you away. Even if every single player on the server had it, it would still be so sweet that it blows you away.

Its pretty much the main reason I only have one legendary. I would work towards more, but whats the point when everyone else has one? I want my character to look unique, not look like every second char that walks past. Having an individual and unique look to my character is really important. Its hard to get that in this game.

Posted by: dadamowsky.4692

dadamowsky.4692

How do you guys imagine giving special items then? You don’t like achievement hunting, you dont like RNG. To farmers only, having unlimited amount of time?

(edited by dadamowsky.4692)

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

1. it is exotic, so making it ascended through transmutation would make it the unique thing you’re looking for. Many won’t wear it, simply because it’s exotic.

2. wait a month until new back pieces come out, and you’ll be the unique pretty thing again.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

It sucks to get something super awesome and them immediately see 3 other people next to you with it when you port to LA.

If it was super hard to get, chances are, you won’t be the one to get it, thus, your thread would then be, WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GET, like those precursor complaint threads. Be happy that everyone can enjoy this cool back piece and not a hipster who says, “it’s not cool because it’s mainstream”

Posted by: Chief.5928

Chief.5928

When I saw the sclerite pack I was blown away by how sweet it was until I realized that everyone is going to have it.

1. I never care about how rare or easily acquirable something is. If i like it, I like it and will use it.
2. Even though many people will acquire it, this by no means means that everyone will use it

Posted by: Djemo.7153

Djemo.7153

Can anyone upload a picture of the ascended version, wanna know if i should waste time trying to upgrade it since its already boss as it is.

Posted by: koopatroopa.5360

koopatroopa.5360

It has been proven that the skin doesn’t change when you upgrade.

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

lot’s people will equip the exo back because tentacles are so cool and it matches so well with their uber-mega-burning-CoF armor, see how kitten they are? I’m already scared of them. ;-)

1. some people seem to have a very limited sense of what’s good looking: mainly what everybody else is wearing. find your own taste. if the tentacle-thing is really what you like looking at, good for you, you’ll like it for months to come, see next.
  2. the usage of this backpiece will drastically go down after the event, if you really like it, you will be one of few to still have it equiped in a few months
  3. the attainability of an item has never and will never change it’s looks – it can only affect how you look at it. and if it does, well, think about what that’s saying about you.
  4. equipping some skin of a currently running event will most of the time result in you looking like everybody else. if you wanted originality and a unique look, you wouldn’t complain about how easy the skin is to get, you’d just go out and create your own look (if you don’t consult the armory under http://www.gw2armor.com/ ), you can just go out and talk with the heart-vendors. they offer some skins very few people are wearing.

I like how easily the two back pieces were to get. no excessive grind or anything. I’ll put them in the bank to all my other skins and when I feel it’s time for a makeover, I’ll re-evaluate them again to see if I can create a unique, personal look where either of them fits in.

Posted by: Djemo.7153

Djemo.7153

What the heck?!
Whats the point?!

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

Prestige through rarity in general is something I appreciate. How they implement is of course the question, but I think temporary items like these can be attainable by all and still have some rarity prestige later on.

On the other hand permanent content has to require alot of effort to retain any prestige value, preferably an effort specific to that item (as in I like the legendaries in theory, but not that you go to mostly the same motions no matter which one you do).

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Like someone else said: wait some time until the novelty of this item wears off. My Asura is still wearing her wintersday back-pack and even though nearly everyone got this there are not that many people using it still. I think it will be the same with those two back-packs.

Posted by: kiwiburner.2186

kiwiburner.2186

Well OP, you’ll be glad to know that if you peruse the entirety of the town clothes catalogue, it will be possible for you to buy:

a) a plaid shirt;
b) some slacks/skinny jeans (they would need to be dyed brown/black respectively);
c) a pair of loafers;
d) some thick, horn-rimmed glasses frames; and
e) a moustache kit for you to tug on gently while you drink from your (preferably cracked) mug of chamomile tea.

Then you can truly express your uniqueness and individuality while all those mainstreamers run around with their vanilla tentacle packs.

“poopsock made it past the filters!” -stinkypants.8419

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I don’t know…many people who I know who work for a living won’t be able to get that back for at least a few more days. It seems fair to me. Get Arah armor skins if you want a challenge.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Now I often get people asking where I got . . . a black moa (items I wear most often) and they sometimes seem impressed that I’ve got them.

You should tell them they need to collect all the other colours of moa and MF them in a particular order.

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Now I often get people asking where I got . . . a black moa (items I wear most often) and they sometimes seem impressed that I’ve got them.

You should tell them they need to collect all the other colours of moa and MF them in a particular order.

We do not joke about skins we cannot get. I am extremely jealous of people with HoM pets. I both hate/love you all. T_T

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

What the heck?!
Whats the point?!

Not visually. But it does upgrade.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

We do not joke about skins we cannot get. I am extremely jealous of people with HoM pets. I both hate/love you all. T_T

I know, that’s what makes it so funny. ;D

Not that I have them either. I mean I considered playing through the first game to catch up on lore, but the site made it irritating to see how much they’d all cost together, so seeing one was like $20 or something and that there were loads of them, I figured I didn’t care that much anyway.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I hate elitists who feel the need to exclude others from having cool gear just so their fragile egos can be stroked a bit.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Air.3154

Air.3154

That is SO frigging true.

Posted by: JanNier Kryn Yaren.7968

JanNier Kryn Yaren.7968

It’s this kind of mentality that ruins the fun of the game and made Anet create RNG to try instill some kind of “prestige”, It’s like black dye in gw1 everyone thought it was look to have and made you look l33t sauce. It’s doens’t matter if many have it, it matters if the people that have it look good with it, and trust me not many can make a pretty or interresting cool looking toon,, you can see it on most female human schoolars around you, where every one goes for the skimpy look.

Posted by: Nevermore.3820

Nevermore.3820

I think most people equipped the exotic back piece because it was the first day of the event, it was a …
“Look how good I am, I finished the whole event in 6 hours” brag. Now these same people are here on the forums talking about how the event sucks, that it was too easy, not enough content … and so on and on and on.

Personally I don’t like the exotic back piece, it’s too big and doesn’t fit with any of my characters themes or armor, the rare flower back piece however fits perfectly with my plant themed necromancer and I plan to have that item equipped months from now.

panzer.6034

You just invalidated your own argument. You want a prestige item that is hard to get so there are less players with it, but at the same time you want it to be easier to get so you don’t have to grind.

I said you shouldn’t have to grind one thing. You can make something hard to get without forcing people to grind one piece of content over and over.

EX: Soloing a dungeon is hard, but its not a grind. Requiring Gift of X from each dungeon requires a lot of work but barely requires you to repeat any one dungeon path. Having a series of hard boss instances that you must complete to gain a mystic forge component is challenging without requiring a grind. There’s plenty of ways to make things more challenging than “collect samples, talk to 5 npcs, here’s your exotic skin”.

RNG items aren’t prestige items, they’re RNG items. Getting a lucky dice roll doesn’t make it any more prestigious.

The only reason i used the term “prestige item” in the first place is because someone from Anet used the term to refer to rare items obtained through RNG or other means in another thread, so i’m only borrowing a term someone else was already applying to RNG loot. I said i thought RNG was garbage anyway, so it doesn’t really matter.

And i hate entitled people who don’t want to work or overcome a challenge instead of getting a hand out. This is the kind attitude that has been dragging this game down since people read the phrase “play your way”. Some folks feel that apparently means that everything should fall in your lap no matter what you do and legendaries should be mailed to you for logging in.

If it was super hard to get, chances are, you won’t be the one to get it, thus, your thread would then be, WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GET, like those precursor complaint threads. Be happy that everyone can enjoy this cool back piece and not a hipster who says, “it’s not cool because it’s mainstream”

Lol. “If someone argues against X, they must also argue against X too!” That logic is hillariously bad.

It’s this kind of mentality that ruins the fun of the game and made Anet create RNG to try instill some kind of “prestige”

You actually quoted where i said “While the RNG weapon drop scheme is complete garbage” and your retort is “It’s this kind of mentality that ruins the fun of the game and made Anet create RNG”?? Are you kidding?

Posted by: ghettogenius.9174

ghettogenius.9174

Let’s just set a hard limit of 20 per server then. That will teach those players not to go to work on a release day :/

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

I think there is a difference between “prestige” items and good looking items. A “prestige” item should look good but it’s main purpose is to show off a bit “look what I did” On the other hand that does not mean that every nice looking item has to be a prestige object which can be only obtained through incredibly hard content or endless grinding.

I for my part am happy as it is.

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

There are already prestige items out there. It is nice to have some skins that are easier to obtain. Plus it might be a prestige item down the line. Since it is for a limited time. (I think)

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

Posted by: Kiriwar.7382

Kiriwar.7382

Who cares who is wearing it? I’m going to be wearing this forever because it fits my character’s lore perfectly, and I don’t care about the other 500 players who are going to wear it either. I will take this over that ugly jetpack any day.

I knew there was going to be someone crying about how easy the backpieces are to get… Just wait until the cool new backpieces come out and everyone will be wearing those too.

I mean, what’s your first reaction to someone wearing a legendary weapon? Mine is, “Oh, they must have spent a lot of time and money on that.” I’ve seen tons of people with them, so the novelty has worn off, just like every other ‘cool’ item in this game…

Like swords, sorcery and misfortune?
Read Wingless, a fantasy comic about a knight’s journey, here!

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

What the heck?!
Whats the point?!

There’s no other way to get an ascended Tough/HP/Condition backpiece.

That’s basically the point.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

RNG is why the Sclerite Back piece is easy to get. So players feel like they at least got something from the event.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

It’s quite right the way it is. No thanks to “festivals” where I have to log in every day if I would like the cosmetic reward. Been there, was fun for a while but I’m over it.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Elathan Silver.1820

Elathan Silver.1820

It’s fine as it is. I did the events and got it but I’m not likely to ever wear it since I think it’s hideous. If anything I’d ascend it and then transmute my mad king fire book skin on to it since that’s what I sport on my main all the time. And just like someone already pointed out, those were everywhere and now I only see them occasionally since people have moved on to other looks. The same will happen with this new back piece. Seriously, we don’t need more items that are a royal pain in the kitten to get.

Server: SF [Rare] [Apes]
Human Elementalist | Asuran Mesmer

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Yeah, we should totally make people grind a 100 hours and then make them gamble their fortune away in the Mystic Forge to give them a chance for the new backpack.

I think people would totally like this.

It’s not like there were dozens of threads of people whining about the rare drops in the Molten Weapons Facility dungeon. That never actually happened.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?