Sclerite Back piece: too easy to get

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It has been proven that the skin doesn’t change when you upgrade.

What the heck?!
Whats the point?!

You get an ascended backpack with healing power.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

Yeah, we should totally make people grind a 100 hours and then make them gamble their fortune away in the Mystic Forge to give them a chance for the new backpack.

Why do people in this thread keep assuming that grinding or rng are the only way to put out “exclusive” items? They could put out some hard content for people that want it and want exclusive rewards that aren’t based on ridiculous RNG or easy party favors.

Someone who has the “Dungeon Master” title, for example, has put in their time doing some of the more challenging content of the game without necessarily grinding at all. What if you actually got an item for challenges like that? What if, for the Southsun cove events, there were a few easy to get event items (like the Censer?) and there were also a handful of difficult bosses or event instances that dropped mystic forge parts for those who wanted hard mode and better reward?

Posted by: Air.3154

Air.3154

Yeah, we should totally make people grind a 100 hours and then make them gamble their fortune away in the Mystic Forge to give them a chance for the new backpack.

Why do people in this thread keep assuming that grinding or rng are the only way to put out “exclusive” items? They could put out some hard content for people that want it and want exclusive rewards that aren’t based on ridiculous RNG or easy party favors.

Someone who has the “Dungeon Master” title, for example, has put in their time doing some of the more challenging content of the game without necessarily grinding at all. What if you actually got an item for challenges like that? What if, for the Southsun cove events, there were a few easy to get event items (like the Censer?) and there were also a handful of difficult bosses or event instances that dropped mystic forge parts for those who wanted hard mode and better reward?

Seriously, everybody would’ve got it anyways. It’s fine the way it is now, there isn’t much to discuss about.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

This discussion is the exact opposite of the RNG discussion. I approve :P

Its too RNGy, It’s really hard to get one! = Rare items
Its too easy, everyone has one! = Not rare items

Ah the cycle of forum life

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

So first there was the whining about the jetpack being hard to get and now there’s whining about fervid censer and scerlite back packs of being too easy to get.

I am sad though that I didn’t end up getting the jetpack.

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

I believe people are forgetting one small distinction here.

The JetPack, Fused Weapons, and the current crop of RNG skins are just that – skins. There are no stats attached that I’m aware of so far.

These two Achievement items (along with the Gauntlets in the F&F meta-achievement) have actual stats on them – reasonably decent ones too. One of them is even clearly marked (!) as Ascendable. Of course people will be interested in that (in particular the folks not interested in running Fractals).

I’ve no interest in the skin for that scerlite item (that whole item line creeps me out actually), but as an Exotic/Ascended I can put any ’ol skin I want on it later. Tempted to dust off the Toy Bag and use its skin, just for lols.

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

This discussion is the exact opposite of the RNG discussion. I approve :P

Its too RNGy, It’s really hard to get one! = Rare items
Its too easy, everyone has one! = Not rare items

Ah the cycle of forum life

1000 times this.

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

I get the idea that challenging to obtain =/= heavy grinding. At its basic principle I can approve of what the OPs intention is. Problem is who gets the say on what is “challenging enough”? This is likely a VERY subjective issue and therefore there will ALWAYS be some who feel it is too hard and some who feel it is too easy.

Take the example of the Dungeon Master title, that was mentioned somewhere up there. Most especially after Simin, priestess of Dwayna boss in in Arah P4 was nerfed (very reduced health regen) a lot of people complained the DM title was not special anymore, as ANYONE can finish it. And yet till now I still hear people complaining they can’t finish that path. Difficulty is subjective, and while I get that this does not make the OP an elitist so to speak, I also don’t think anyone against the notion a ‘lazy entitled person’.

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

I get the idea that challenging to obtain =/= heavy grinding. At its basic principle I can approve of what the OPs intention is. Problem is who gets the say on what is “challenging enough”? This is likely a VERY subjective issue and therefore there will ALWAYS be some who feel it is too hard and some who feel it is too easy.

sure, it’s always going to be pretty subjective. After all, there are some people who can solo Arah. I think its pretty hard to argue that 2 hours of wandering around to get the “hardest” reward of the story so far isn’t a challenge by any means though. I hope they second half adds something a bit more substantial.

Difficulty is subjective, and while I get that this does not make the OP an elitist so to speak, I also don’t think anyone against the notion a ‘lazy entitled person’.

To be clear, i don’t necessarily think anyone in particular is a ‘lazy entitled person’ for simply disagreeing with me, i was merely trying to illustrate how stupid a particular insulting, hyperbolic statement was by flipping it around.

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

Yea I get that you were illustrating a point, a little blunt maybe but I also get how frustrating it is if ppl simply shrug off ur points or get them wrong constantly

Anyhow I just wanna add, having recently passed on this karka backpiece to my newest lvl 80 toon, (because he has no other better backpiece to use), I do admit it isn’t a super big challenge to get it. It takes some time to be sure, some people do it slower than others and some people also have less time to spend to accomplish. But hey, looking at the backpiece itself, I really don’t think it should be too much a task to get it. Odd stats to be sure but overall it is weaker than most exotic backpieces (doesnt have regular upgrade slots where u can put gems/jewels that gives bigger stat boost than those infusions) and would take additional effort to actually upgrade it to ascended. So im mostly content with its acquisition. Mostly.

As for a sense of uniqueness in looks. Well that can’t be helped. If it generally looks good, people will do A LOT to get it. I mean, I would love a Twilight, yet look at how many Twilights are being carried around these days? :p (But i’ll still work to get it though…)

I do think it’s a phase that will run its course, so like many said, if you really like it, give some time and not many ppl will be using it soon (once new stuffs are in). Seriously. When I first ran dungeons, I wanted AC greatsword bcoz for me it’s one of the best gs skins. you know how many ppl carrying those around then? There arent so many now, at least thats what im seeing in Ehmry Bay. Quaggan backpiece, I had that and it was the cutest thing to put on my warrior :P now even i am not using it. :P So in short, just have fun and enjoy the stuff if u can get it. dont worry abt ppl. they’ll sort themselves out

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Personally, I support having the Sclerite Shell (and the Fervid Censer) being relatively easy for players to obtain. Who cares if everybody else on the server is using the same item? I get items because I like the way MY characters look with it on. I couldn’t care less what other players think of my characters’ appearance. If you’re wearing a full Arah set while shooting rainbow unicorns and like it, good for you! If you’re a male Norn wearing starter armor transmuted to level 80 and dyed pink and wielding a Princess Wand, good for you! Equip your character according to your own preferences, but don’t deny other people the chance to dress up their characters the way they want to.

Incidentally, not many people on Tarnished Coast seem to be wearing their Censer or Sclerite Shell. In LA and in the Instigator zergs on Southsun, maybe only a handful of people are using the item. I expect that people are using the items only if the appearance suits their overall theme, not merely to show it off. And that’s the way it should be.

Posted by: Raestloz.7134

Raestloz.7134

Ew… sclerite back piece is awful. Tentacles??? No. That’s a beginning of hentai manga.

I don’t think people will actually show that