Solution for RNG chest woes

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: Raxus Prime.4218

Raxus Prime.4218

Here me out guys

the first chest you buy ( not by drops) has a guaranteed ticket for weapon skin.

every chest there after is back on the 000000000000.1 % chance of ticket drop rate

this way at least you get a vanity skin for sure and those who want more for alts have to jump on the buy gems bandwagon

and by not giving out the first ticket in dropped boxes this will guarantee arenanet money and be fare to all of us who

JUST WANT THE FREAKING SCEPTER FOR THEIR NECRO!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

thoughts?

Raxus Prime.4218

an we all have several characters that would like these skins so even though we get a free skin in first purchased box, we will continue to buy more for more skins for alts

example scenario, i buy 10 boxes for the first time

get a skin ticket in first box and crap in the rest

i dont feel bad about wasting ten bucks because i at least got a guaranteed skin and chances at others

everyone wins

scenario 2, i buy ten boxes and get the guaranteed skin and another one on 9th box

i feel extremely lucky and buy ten more

i fail on second order of ten boxes but dont feel bad because i got two skin tickets

win win again

Raxus Prime.4218

this will only work on your first PURCHASE of (blacklion key for fused, box for sclerite)

not first drop as to ensure that arenanet gets money to continue services for us

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

I think for the amount of work it must take for Anet to make a skin. Letting players buy them outright should net them a large profit.

Anet doesn’t need RNG, just design more gem store skins and content.

Posted by: Malleus Maleficarum.2603

Malleus Maleficarum.2603

Sounds good to me. ATM I’ve heard to many horror stories, and I’m too cheap lol, to risk it with real money

Posted by: BlasiuS.8961

BlasiuS.8961

I think for the amount of work it must take for Anet to make a skin. Letting players buy them outright should net them a large profit.

I think you’re severely underestimating the amount of gullible people who will spend (or already have spent) $200+ on chests just so they can get the skin.

I’m pretty confident that making the skins available only through a small chance on a very rare but purchasable chest is making ANet way more money than if they just sold the skins directly.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

I think you’re severely underestimating the amount of gullible people who will spend (or already have spent) $200+ on chests just so they can get the skin.

I’m pretty confident that making the skins available only through a small chance on a very rare but purchasable chest is making ANet way more money than if they just sold the skins directly.

RNG will not create a stable player base.

BlasiuS.8961

RNG will not create a stable player base.

But it won’t destroy one either.

Raxus Prime.4218

my solution would keep the RNG so that arenanet can make profit from the gullible big spenders that buy chests over and over again

it would also allow us grievers that farm for hours to actually get a taste of one skin ticket by either turning our cash into gems or our gold

the devs will get cash for continual support and we will at least not feel like we are cheated

the point of my system is pretty much to try and get everyone happy

the devs need cash because there is no sub

we want these elusive skins but RNG is way more profitable then placing all these skins on the market

with this system we are guaranteed at least one skin and if you so choose you can try the rest on RNG luck and continue supporting the devs

Raxus Prime.4218

i did the molten facility 32 times

got nothing

i bought at least 30 keys

got one ticket

RNG is just grief

and it will eventually turn me off

i wont stop playing but i wont have the stamina or patience to farm on end for a vanity item

i will just stick to dungeons and collecting dungeon weapons because its not worth it in my opinion

Posted by: White Dragon.5429

White Dragon.5429

I have a solution that may work. Make the boxes each contain 1 of some token which can be redeemed at a price of, for example, 50 tokens for a weapon skin. To keep the exclusiveness of the skins and incentive to buy more boxes, the token bought skin could be marginally inferior to the skin bought with the ticket (i.e. no particle effects or something similar). This will keep unlucky people from being too discouraged to buy RNG boxes while not making those who do spend the big bucks feel like their money was wasted on a common skin. Also, if I got the ticket at, say, 30 boxes and only needed 20 more tokens for an extra skin, I would gladly pay for the extra boxes for tokens instead of quitting after I got my ticket.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Why would Anet do that? They want you to blow several hundred of USD on the boxes and still get nothing (because as long as you don’t get what you want, you might try to buy more boxes). Anytime someone wins at RNG, ANet considers it a loss.
Guaranteed return? Perish the thought! You might actually start expecting to get your money’s worth, and we can’t have that!

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

I can bet you that a lot more people bought Rox’s Quiver and Braham’s Shield than they will these RNG boxes of frustration.

Heck, even I bought both those things and I don’t like spending money on anything.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

(edited by Dirame.8521)

BlasiuS.8961

I can bet you that a lot more people bought Rox’s Quiver and Braham’s Shield than they will these RNG boxes of frustration.

I can bet you the exact opposite.

Posted by: Beta Sprite.4169

Beta Sprite.4169

Seconded. If you look around at players in high population areas, you will see more fused weapons than Braham/Rox weapons, and the fused ones would have taken more gems to obtain.

Perhaps if it had been swapped, more gems would have been spend on the fused weapons, but I wouldn’t count on it without seeing some real market numbers, which we’re not going to get.

~Beta

Posted by: Tinni.4351

Tinni.4351

Seconded. If you look around at players in high population areas, you will see more fused weapons than Braham/Rox weapons, and the fused ones would have taken more gems to obtain.

Perhaps if it had been swapped, more gems would have been spend on the fused weapons, but I wouldn’t count on it without seeing some real market numbers, which we’re not going to get.

Yes, I have been on teams where everybody had one fused weapons. Just in my guild we have four people (including myself) with fused weapons. Those weapons made us all go “me wants!!!!” and we all blew copious amounts of real life cash and in-game gold chasing them. I don’t think any of us have buyer’s remorse. Our guild leader was raging a bit when he kept coming-up empty but now that he has his molten GS, he’s happy as can be.

On the other hand, none of us have any particular interest in the new skins. As such none of us going to be spending RL cash buying gems. I converted some in-game gold to buy 3 crates for the hell of it but that’s pretty much it for me.

i did the molten facility 32 times

got nothing

i bought at least 30 keys

got one ticket

RNG is just grief

and it will eventually turn me off

i wont stop playing but i wont have the stamina or patience to farm on end for a vanity item

i will just stick to dungeons and collecting dungeon weapons because its not worth it in my opinion

I think they would lose most of their appeal if they were not so rare and as you said, they are vanity weapons. I think it is perfectly fine to put vanity weapons and items on RNG. The onus is actually on us players to RNG responsibly. I.e. set a limit “I will only spend X on gems” or “I will only farm X times” and then just walk away if you don’t get what you want within that limit.

One thing I do think Anet could do, and this is without hurting their profit, is put a “load” towards skin drop. Meaning that the probability of you getting a skin increases the more chests you open. I mean, right now if the skin drop rate is 0.01%, that rate remains the same whether you are opening your 1st chest or your 100th chest. What I suggest is that if a person opens 100 chests, that skin drop rate for the 100th chest could be 1% or something like that. This would mean that a hidden counter would have to be added to the account but I think that would be fairer to the players who do go to great lengths to get skin out of these boxes.

Edit: I wanted to add, to be on the level and all, since the posting of this comment I have obtained a weapon ticket. My boxes opened to ticket received is a 15:1. 2 boxes dropped for me and I bought 13. 3 with in-game gold, the 10 with RL cash. Last month I also received the fused skin.

My brain is shagging under the weight of changes… having six characters was not a good idea!

(edited by Tinni.4351)

Posted by: Rooen.5317

Rooen.5317

I’m honestly pretty disgusted with Anet right now and these tickets. It’s gotten to the point where I’m angry with the company itself for the low brow tactics they are trying to pull to bring in more money. Where once I was happy to spend 15 bucks when ever I had it to help out Anet and get some cool (yet pretty useless) things now I’m hesitant to even bother helping them at all if they are going to try to suck money out of people this way.

For an example:

I first tried getting boxes by farming. After at least 2 nights with only 2 boxes to show for it I had no ticket. So I dropped 15 bucks on a card, bought 5 boxes..nothing.

I was annoyed but figured soon I would get one. So traded some gold for gems, to boxes. Nothing.

True…I am that person who can’t help themselves and I ended up spending 20 bucks on gems and buying packs of 10. And I STILL do not have a ticket. But the fact that they are playing off those weak people such as myself who really want a pointless skin for their wep is, as I said before, a pretty shameful and crappy thing to do to your fans.

“I think you’re severely underestimating the amount of gullible people who will spend (or already have spent) $200+ on chests just so they can get the skin.
I’m pretty confident that making the skins available only through a small chance on a very rare but purchasable chest is making ANet way more money than if they just sold the skins directly.” <<< That is a crappy thing to do to people. And they know it is.

Having at least 1 ticket in a set of 10 many? Or giving you one when you finish all 25 quests along with the backpack?

As it stands right now, I won’t be spending any more money on Anet for a while. They just left a sour taste in my mouth…

Rooen Dahlbeck | Asura | Elementalist
Lvl 50+ | Norther Shiverpeaks | Cook/Artif

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

every chest there after is back on the 000000000000.1 % chance of ticket drop rate

I don’t think you know how to properly use a decimal point.

Posted by: KorbanDallas.7389

KorbanDallas.7389

Anet has already made a lot of money by selling the box games. It’s entirely possible for them to survive without the Gem Store, as GW the original didn’t add anything of the sort until much later in the cycle (either GWEN or Nightfall IIRC), by selling expansions as a new boxed expansion. People seem to keep forgetting that GW2 is a BUY to play, not a FREE to play.

That being said, I just don’t buy anything involving RNG. This game has proven to me that my characters have near absolute zero luck (My main character’s first rare item was after they added the guaranteed rare to the world events, and he’s got more than 300 hours on him by the time they did that), so I just don’t bother with things like the chests at all. I would love to get some of those skins, either for my main or my alts (all 6 of them), but knowing the chances are ridiculously high that I will not get them (from luck), I won’t spend money on it unless its a certainty (like Braham’s shield, which I did buy for my main).

At the same time, people need to understand that when they say rare or small chance, it means RARE or a small chance. Computers aren’t the same with random numbers as rolling a die, and the computer tends to be more contained with it’s results (as in it might be predominantly in the range of 3-5 for most results, whereas rolling a die might grant a wider berth of 1-6 by hand). Some people really, really love to gamble on things though, and THAT is most likely the main reason Anet has included the entire (albeit frustrating) RNG in here. Whether we chose to play into that game or not is our choice.
Knowing is half the battle.
—-
Edit: Forgot to contribute my thoughts:
They should split it so that you can buy the chests at a lower price (but have a small chance) or flat out buy the ticket from the gem store (for a possible higher price) to obtain these – that way gamblers can enjoy their gamblin’ and the rest of us who have no luck still stand a chance to get it without wasting our paychecks.

}——————————-{
http://avsla-gw2.blogspot.com/