Temporary or permanent content?

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

Q:

Will this new content be temporary or permanent?

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

A:

Southsun cove will feature a mixture of both temporary story lines and content, as well as permanent additions of playable content as a result of what happens there.

Edited to add: Some temporary content may also appear again in the future in other story lines, events, or even find permanent homes as the world continues to change.

(edited by ColinJohanson.2394)

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

My guess is many of the updates to Southsun Cove including the new resort stuff and the refugee town will be permanent along with at least the minigame. The story quests though will probably be for a limited time.

Posted by: Strejda Tom.6108

Strejda Tom.6108

My guess is many of the updates to Southsun Cove including the new resort stuff and the refugee town will be permanent along with at least the minigame. The story quests though will probably be for a limited time.

Yes, I think it will be like this and I am fine with that. Minigame, town etc should stay but the story should be temporary to make it more real.

Strejda Tom, the last unicorn.
Always remember one thing – your opinion is your opinion not fact.

Posted by: ForAce.1943

ForAce.1943

I think on Southsun Cove AN will add Meta Event with chest on end (something like Behemot, Jogmar).

http://www.gw2info.pl – All informations about Guild Wars 2 in one place. In polish.

toafarmer.8401

I think on Southsun Cove AN will add Meta Event with chest on end (something like Behemot, Jogmar).

Now THAT sounds like a good idea.

Posted by: amanfro.4397

amanfro.4397

I agree. I think there should be some permanent changes, to some degree. Not everything, though, as that would remove the whole aspect of ‘living story.’ Curious to see how they add content, otherwise, outside of the living story.

toafarmer.8401

I love how we never get a single answer from Anet staff.

Posted by: rainynoble.6531

rainynoble.6531

Say that to other MMO’s developer/CM.

We will know when it comes out.

toafarmer.8401

Funcom answers questions, Blizzard answer questions. Josh answered SAB questions. Anet is getting worse than EA concerning PR and support.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Resort, maybe. Mini-game confirmed TEMPORARY.

toafarmer.8401

Resort, maybe. Mini-game confirmed TEMPORARY.

Yeah, just read that from the dev (the only think said so far). I dont really like the idea of temporary content. So far Ive been able to play evrything, but with those 2 week contents comming all the time, I will certainly miss content in the future.

Posted by: Rico.8574

Rico.8574

After the end of the events, it would be nice to see Southsun Cove become a regular “world completion” map, with Hearts and whatnot. I guess it would make the zone less “abandoned” and more interesting.

Posted by: Vahkris.6847

Vahkris.6847

After the end of the events, it would be nice to see Southsun Cove become a regular “world completion” map, with Hearts and whatnot. I guess it would make the zone less “abandoned” and more interesting.

Hearts, PoIs, vistas, etc isn’t what’s causing it to be abandoned. It’s the almost complete lack of events (some claim the karka as well, but I can live with that if I have stuff to do). There’s only a handful on the entire island (7, according to the wiki), whereas most full zones around the same size have about 30+. I think players can live without the world completion (although good to add it), but without events it’s going to reach the same point, so hopefully this update adds a good amount of events.

(edited by Vahkris.6847)

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I love how Colin posted in this thread, making you eat your words.

Southsun cove will feature a mixture of both temporary story lines and content, as well as permanent additions of playable content as a result of what happens there.

Edited to add: Some temporary content may also appear again in the future in other story lines, events, or even find permanent homes as the world continues to change.

Is there any information about what types we can expect to stay and what types of content we can expect to go? Is it safe to assume that there will be a lot more to do forever-after in Southsun Cove after this event? Are you guys going to be adding more permanent dynamic events to the map to make it more worth visiting on an L80 character? Perhaps a meta chain?

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

That’s great. Let’s hope the permanent content will be a dungeon like the Molten Weapon.

Posted by: OIIIIIO.7825

OIIIIIO.7825

I am hoping for a beach house! Hmm lets see if we can make this happen.

Southsun cove will feature …

…permanent homes …

More of what I was hoping for than what I expect, but I can hope!

A victor gives no quarter when the victor shows no clemency or mercy
and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender)
of a vanquished opponent.

(edited by OIIIIIO.7825)

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

With any look will get to keep something fun instead losing the fun and keeping just the grindy stuff like in previous updates…

With even more luck we may even get back some of the fun and all.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

That’s great. Let’s hope the permanent content will be a dungeon like the Molten Weapon.

Lets just put the Molten Facility in SouthSun. Dredge and FL need vacations as well

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

This i could support. I was jaded that the molten dungeon was temporary. Hopefully we get something more permanent like a meta-event boss.

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

This i could support. I was jaded that the molten dungeon was temporary. Hopefully we get something more permanent like a meta-event boss.

Grawl Shamans are going to summon Ancient Karka from the depths of the sea to flood all of southsun with lag!

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Posted by: Vulpis.8063

Vulpis.8063

Funcom answers questions, Blizzard answer questions. Josh answered SAB questions. Anet is getting worse than EA concerning PR and support.

Anet answers—if it’s a flat-out code bug, or you’re patting them on the back. Otherwise, might as well forget it.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Hearts, PoIs, vistas, etc isn’t what’s causing it to be abandoned. It’s the almost complete lack of events (some claim the karka as well, but I can live with that if I have stuff to do). There’s only a handful on the entire island (7, according to the wiki), whereas most full zones around the same size have about 30+. I think players can live without the world completion (although good to add it), but without events it’s going to reach the same point, so hopefully this update adds a good amount of events.

What Vahkris said. However, I would say no hearts. Those tend to be too tedious and it’d fit more along the lines of Orr as it should of non-native lands to not have hearts. Though maybe a couple wouldn’t hurt, around the eastern side (where the refugees and Lionguard are, for example).

Vistas and skill challenges are always a plus, map completion more so, but the main thing needed is EVENTS.

Let’s hope the permanent content is not a dungeon, but stuff to do within the zone itself – like events or whatever.

I’m not against new dungeons, but Southsun doesn’t need a dungeon.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]

I’m not against new dungeons, but Southsun doesn’t need a dungeon.

Southsun should BE a dungeon. It may not be underground, but it’s a relatively small area, has few types of enemies, a single theme, neat places for boss fights and a story around it. Just like dungeons.
Also, it doesn’t have a “tunnel” structure, which would force the content to be less about getting to places and killing something there (and skipping as much as possible) and more about event completion, and would even allow to make it more non-lineal, like the Fissure and Underworld quests in GW1.

Not just that, all dungeons should have a “roaming” mode that is basically a version of the dungeon that is a level 80 shared instance with jumping puzzles and events and gathering nodes and stuff like that, that is placed in time right after all explorable paths have been completed.
Then, the current Southsun would become then the “roaming” mode of the Southsun dungeon, and a version of the Lost Shores content revamped for a party of 5 would become the “story” mode of the dungeon, retelling part of the Lost Shores tale.
Ascalon Catacombs has that partially made jumping puzzle and all.

I would go as far as giving a “Vanquisher” mode to each dungeon. Vanquishing in GW1 took ages, but it was really cool when you finished an area and you got the golden helmet icon.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Southsun could have been a dungeon, but that’s not how it was made, and to turn it into one now would just be, well, have an improper feeling. It being designed as an open world zone kind of keeps it from being an instanced area – as well as it showing up on the open world (though I wouldn’t be against other dungeons doing the same, AC, HotW, TA, and CoE wouldn’t work at all).

Roaming modes for dungeons wouldn’t work much either. Crucible of Eternity was destroyed, Caudecus’ Manor and Twilight Arbor (should have been) wiped of threats (possibly Arah too).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

toafarmer.8401

I love how Colin posted in this thread, making you eat your words.

I remember last year when I was managing a big project. In a reunion, I was raging at one of my employees because he was doing some stuff without getting the signatures of the people who HAD TO sign. I said something like “you are doing this without getting a single signature, are you out of your mind?”. Then he said something around these lines “I will make you eat your words”. He went to his car and brought a paper. He showed me the paper with a big smile in his face. He had a signature. A single one. And I was saying he “wasnt getting a single one”. Well, I was wrong about the “single one” part. But he was still doing his job poorly.

I love how he posted on this thread, making me know the answer to the question I had. This is what I expect from a forum.

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

They could use the three asuran mega lasers in a big meta event, maybe one similar to the Ancient Karka but with a lesser beast.

Posted by: Vulpis.8063

Vulpis.8063

Southsun could have been a dungeon, but that’s not how it was made, and to turn it into one now would just be, well, have an improper feeling. It being designed as an open world zone kind of keeps it from being an instanced area – as well as it showing up on the open world (though I wouldn’t be against other dungeons doing the same, AC, HotW, TA, and CoE wouldn’t work at all).

Roaming modes for dungeons wouldn’t work much either. Crucible of Eternity was destroyed, Caudecus’ Manor and Twilight Arbor (should have been) wiped of threats (possibly Arah too).

This is a dev team that thinks ending entirely solo content with a dungeon as the only option is ‘appropriate’. I’m not really sure your arguments particularly apply here. Then again, the way they finished the last Living Story has pretty much killed any interest I have in anything they try to shoehorn in going forward anyway, so doesn’t really matter.

Posted by: Amaris.9135

Amaris.9135

I’ve yet to see content being added permanently. Sure, we’ve got Southsun Cove (which is pretty useless, and this update should get things going on that map) and Fractals, but other than that, every content that has been released was temporary. Obviously holiday-related things shouldn’t stay, I completely agree on that part, but Living Story was being built up for months, only to demolish everything it brought in during the last 2 weeks of this story. We’ll keep the cosmetics, but the playable content will all disappear. I just hope the future will finally add some more permanent content, because it’s getting pretty dull seeing the same things over and over and over…

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

The braham and rox’s minidungeons still remain. Now they are new instances added to the world where you can have a few conversations and adquire some items from merchants.

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

I hope they turn those instances into regular parts of their zones once their reconstructions is completed.

Re: dungeons: I wouldnt mind a dungeon under the Karka cave where you are going in to scout and find alot of Karka eggs and have to cause a volcano eruption to end the main Karka threat on the island for good. The outdoor story to go with it is the karka-fied southwestern half of the island turning into a volcanic lava stream area instead. That would make for a nice cinematic ala Mad King Thorn’s breakout or the death of the Ancient Karka, and give them cause to rework the dreary half the island a bit.