50 Trips with the Twisted Portal

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Sulist.2408

Sulist.2408

I just completed using fifty of the Twisted Watchwork Portal Devices. I’ve gone ahead and kept track of all the location and duds, of which there were only three. I’ll leave it for you to decide if it is worth it or not. While using up a lot of those holiday mats, it’s a costly piece of entertainment. Only two treasures along the way. One which seemed exclusive to the portal’s use (as there was not way I could find to reach the area otherwise) and the other was the end of a jumping puzzle. Both with mediocre loot. One death, with a few more possible if you can’t handle veterans at this time. A few bugs where I ended up where I shouldn’t be….but it was fun to explore!

1. Dessia Plateau – Butcher’s Block center of town
  2. Rata Sum – Pillar at Port Authority
  3. Dud
  4. Bloodtide Coast – Bloody Bill’s Diving Goggles
  5. Divinity’s Reach – Graveyard Vista
  6. Malchor’s Leap – On a Cliff Behind Cathedral of Zephyrs, found an area to climb and a small cave (Had 5 Orrian Guards, One vet, One Chest…crap blue)
  7. Hoelbrak – Bear Vista
  8. Dud
  9. Wayfarer Foothills – Haivoissen Kenning, zoned in being punched by Jotans. Lots of potatos. Vet with low level chest.
  10. Gendarran Feilds – Blood Hill Camps, south of Blood Hill waypoint. Zoned in attacked by Vet centaur.
  11. Lion’s Arch – Landed near the pool of water in the Mystic Plaza
  12. Caledon Forest – Great Wurm spawn in Wychmire Swamp
  13. Southsun Cove – Tourist Docks, paused for a drink on the beach.
  14. Lornar’s Pass – Next to the Dolyak in front of the entrance to Korakatt’s Hall
  15. Divinity’s Reach – Dead center of the Chamber of Ministers
  16. Sparkfly Fen – Appeared high in the air above Fabled Djannor (Tequatl’s landing area) and fell to my death.
  17. The Grove – On a branch west of the Warden’s Watchgate POI. Seems to be out of the city boundry…
  18. Frostgorge Sound – On top of a ruined structure in Stonesledge Draft
  19. Metrica Province – At the final chest of the Goemm’s Lab JP
  20. Timberline Falls – Vista North of Gentle River Waypoint (near waterfall)
  21. Lornar’s Pass – False River Valley Vista
  22. Frostgorge Sound – On a small glacier north of the Twoloop Waypoint
  23. Rata Sum – College of Statics, next to an unamused apprentice
  24. Gendarren Fields – Inches away from the giant lumber saw at Vigil Keep
  25. Divinity’s Reach – Same as #15
  26. Cursed Shore – Anchorage Vista
  27. Diessa Plateau – Butcher’s Block Vista
  28. Dredgehaunt Cliffs – On an altar above the entrance to the Forsaken Halls
  29. Malchor’s Leap – On the bridge connecting the Valley of Lyss and the Theater of Delight
  30. Cursed Shore – Between the guns, up the ramp from Cachistic R&D
  31. Southsun Cove – On the beach of Pearl Inlet, already in my trunks
  32. Sparkfly Fen – Verarium Delves Vista, south of the Tower of Modius
  33. Metrica Province – In front of the security panel by the Thaumanova Reactor leak
  34. Straits of Devastation – Vista on the airship at Fort Trinity
  35. Divinity’s Reach – Vista in the Central Plaza
  36. Lornar’s Pass – Black Barl’s Mill
  37. Gendarran Fields – Same as #24
  38. Queensdale – Altar’s Windings Vista
  39. Lion’s Arch – Same as #11
  40. Fields of Ruin – Sentinel’s Perch Vista
  41. Frostgorge Sound – Vista NW of Earthskae Basin
  42. Gendarran Fields – Nebo Terace Vista
  43. Mount Maelstrom – Firebeak Fort Vista
  44. Lion’s Arch – Same as #11
  45. Rata Sum – College of Dynamics
  46. Queensdale – Bandithaunt Caverns, above the map. (Can jump through hole to get in bounds)
  47. Hoelbrak – On top of the left bear altar surrounding the firepit of Brawler’s Bout
  48. Gendarran Fields – Ascalon Settlement Vista
  49. Southsun Cove – bridge to Captain’s Retreat
  50. Dud

in Clockwork Chaos

Sulist.2408

Also, on occassion I’ve had phantom knockdowns and portal images appearing near my character when not traveling. Not sure if that is lag or what…

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

I’m… confused.

What did I miss?

I see no obvious achievement linked to this, can you explain?

in Clockwork Chaos

Sulist.2408

There is no achievement. It’s just a new item as of this patch. I’ve noticed a lot of concern about their rate of failure as well as whether or not the going price of between 50-60s a piece is worth the random teleporting as the item states in the patch notes:

The Twisted Watchwork Portal Device is a single-use consumable that teleports the user to a random place in Tyria. The destination may be very rewarding, very dangerous, both, or anywhere in between.

I figured I’d take the bullet and see if the rewards or danger was really worth it. I didn’t find much of either.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

I’m… confused.

What did I miss?

I see no obvious achievement linked to this, can you explain?

I think he was just letting people know what happened when he used a substantial sample size of the devices. That way, it takes away the mystery associated with them, so people who want to know if it’s really worth investing the materials into the devices can make a more informed decision.

That being said, 50 devices doesn’t necessarily represent all the possibilities of what could happen, but the conclusion that one would draw from his experiments is that you shouldn’t do it hoping for some kind of reward (like the mystic toilet).