Clockwork Chaos will cause great inflation

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

Well, it depends, I generally earn ~200g per month through causal farming cof, back then people cry about cof farming is bad for economy(and thus the nerf hammer).

So far, I have earned ~500g from queen’s Jubilee and clockwork chaos(not even close compare to real hardcore farmers), and this month is not even over yet.(I am projecting ~650 by Sep 3rd, if I don’t get bored from farming.)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Astasia.1459

Astasia.1459

The only inflation i’ve noticed is the gold to gem exchange rate… but that’s been on the rise since launch. 50 silver could net you 100 gems. Now you need like 6 gold..

Ya but it was 4g a few weeks ago. It’s gone up 50% since these two events.

Just because there’s also an abundance of certain materials and their price isn’t rising much or is dropping, doesn’t change the fact that gold is worth less and less real money every day this event is running. Zodiac skins were not the cause, and this current anniversary sale started well after the trend was set.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Man, you guys have much better luck looting these events than me.

I can average 3-5 gold per event. No matter how many bags I end up with, I still only end up with 2-3 rares and no exotics.

That backpack full of greens only sells for so much.

Guess RNG is just a PITA for some of us.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

My concern with using ascended gear as the hero to inflation is that it will exclude people who didn’t farm the gold. If the idea is that all this gold is going to go somewhere, how are players, who didn’t participate in any of the farms, going to keep up with the players who did? They are going to have a much harder time competing in the new economy.

Why are you concerned about anyone else who did not participate in any of the “farms”? If they did the gauntlet, pie chart or the invasion they participated in the farms. If they didn’t log in and play or they did…anything else, they already have a hard time in any “economy” and it is their own fault and nothing what so ever to you.
Again, why do you care?

Because I’m allowed to care about other people? Because I myself didn’t farm the events. I actively played the game during the time of all of these farms but I’m not a grinder, I can’t stand it. I got bored of the emberfarm after two runs, I got bored of the Pavilion on the first day, I got bored of the Subject 7 farm after 10-15 minutes. I made a small fraction of what people I know made this month. I dread the day I have to compete with these people for resources I want.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Ok – I think everyone is getting too worked up.

A-net has an on staff economist. They’ve been very careful with the economy in the past and they’ve been frequently controlling the economy in the game because they have an important source of revenue that’s directly linked to it – the gem store and real money → gems → gold.

I think all of these transitions that the game’s economy is going through now – more gold – more drops – easier farming for the masses is designed to bring the playerbase " up to speed " for the upcoming ascended weapons and armor that are just around the corner.

4 Months left of 2013 – people will want to gear up and I think A-net is going to give them a helping hand.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I don’t think it’ll cause as much inflation in the first place, mainly because the GW2, being an entirely closed system, only generates inflation by new gold coming into the economy.

I’ve also made money with the invasions, but I have to say the bulk of that money isn’t new money, but money that just changed players. Most of the money I’ve made have come from selling materials dropped into the bags, selling the odd valuable exotic, and salvaging exotic/rares for their sigils/runes/ectos and also selling them… all on the TP. That doesn’t cause inflation, as the money is already in the system, and actually works as a cash sink as anytime someone purchases something, 15% of that money is gone.

The money that might generate inflation is the one you get directly as loot or mission rewards or from vendoring items, which isn’t that much if you look at it in the first place.

Yes, lots of people are making money, but the amount of gold in the system isn’t increasing as much (actually I’d say the queen’s gauntlet causes more inflation than the invasions would, though I don’t have the numbers to back it up). Yes, the gold to gems ratio has changed dramatically, but I believe that’s because of more people getting high amount of gold from selling stuff on the TP and buying gems than from actual inflation (gem to gold market isn’t a good indicator, as only the ones with lots of gold will participate on it in the first place). A good indicator, IMHO, would be TP prices of general item, and at least last time I used heavily (this weekend, leveling some crafting) the prices didn’t seem to have changed much when compared to before the invasions.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

OP

You need to understand what inflation is and what causes it before throwing around these terms.

More loot drops in game doesn’t cause inflation. More gold (or in this case, silver/copper) causes inflation.

Where did you get that 40g? Did you get it from selling all your materials? Then that doesn’t cause inflation.

You know what causes massive inflation? Gauntlet farm. But that was nerfed so it’s not an issue.

I highly doubt this event will cause inflation. In fact I think we are currently operating with disinflation ( a decline in the inflation rate towards pre- Queen’s Jubilee patch levels)

Merching blues and greens have the same affect on the economy as straight gold. As far as whether or not the event will cause inflation, a quick look at the price of gems should tell that at least in the short term, inflation is here.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Kagamiku.9731

Kagamiku.9731

Gem prices could rise for various reasons. They’ve been rising since release. And they rise even more whenever Anet adds their newest shiny to its arsenal. I can guarantee the mining picks they re-released is a large part of why gem prices rose over this living story update.

As for merching blues and greens, that gives minimal gold. He was referring to TP’ing mats and rares/exotics.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Anet has tools to measure the actual amount of gold being put into the game, if it were a problem, I’m sure they’ll handle it. But until then, a lot of things on the to are cheaper than they were before these new additions. (even if it’s because an increase in supply)

The increase in gem prices just acts as a gold sink, while people who purchase gems now get more gold if they decide to convert.

There is also new smaller gold sinks in the form of sovereign skins.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

The increase in gem prices just acts as a gold sink, while people who purchase gems now get more gold if they decide to convert.

This is a concept a lot of people seem to miss.

Right now, I’d imagine the gem store is the biggest gold sink in the game, especially with all of the re-released items currently on sale.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Grey Warden.2983

Grey Warden.2983

My concern with using ascended gear as the hero to inflation is that it will exclude people who didn’t farm the gold. If the idea is that all this gold is going to go somewhere, how are players, who didn’t participate in any of the farms, going to keep up with the players who did? They are going to have a much harder time competing in the new economy.

Why are you concerned about anyone else who did not participate in any of the “farms”? If they did the gauntlet, pie chart or the invasion they participated in the farms. If they didn’t log in and play or they did…anything else, they already have a hard time in any “economy” and it is their own fault and nothing what so ever to you.
Again, why do you care?

Because I’m allowed to care about other people? Because I myself didn’t farm the events. I actively played the game during the time of all of these farms but I’m not a grinder, I can’t stand it. I got bored of the emberfarm after two runs, I got bored of the Pavilion on the first day, I got bored of the Subject 7 farm after 10-15 minutes. I made a small fraction of what people I know made this month. I dread the day I have to compete with these people for resources I want.

It’s fine that you care about other people but the bolded part is the answer to my question. Really, if you are bored and will not grind then that is on you.
I get you don’t like the grind and that’s fine, but what exactly do you think needs to be done here? It doesn’t make sense to me that you don’t do anything to make the coin but at the same time you are concerned with the coin.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

The LVL 500 crafting and T7 materials will take care of the extra money inserted in the economy by this last months events. There are LOTs of players right now sitting on big piles of Gold because they don’t see anything worth spending it on. That is NEVER the case in a real economy with too much cash.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances