Concerns about permanant invasions

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: adamaknight.9237

adamaknight.9237

So, it’s been said a few times that these invasions will continue on after the living story ends. This seems like a disaster waiting to happen to me.

Basically I worry that when the next living story thing comes out, and draws people off to whatever the next grind-zerg-farm thing is, we’re going to find whole maps made uninhabitable by invasions. Most zones don’t have a constant high population so when hundreds of mobs pile in for best part of an hour how are the few world completers or levellers meant to cope?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Just wait the 45 minutes for the event to fail if you can’t do it seems to be the best way to remove this “issue”.

People want permanent additions to the game, and as far as we know these will only happen once or twice per day after the event.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

I think it’s a good idea.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: adamaknight.9237

adamaknight.9237

Seems a pointless inconvenience.

You want random invasions then have a place for them, don’t cause them to give normal players aggro when they’re playing the game.

Think on it like this; how effing annoying is it when you wanna map to a waypoint in a hurry and it’s contested?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Torgrim.3642

Torgrim.3642

I must say that the invasions are ok as a living story content not in a permanent way.
Because lets be frank the invasions are crude and static kill zone that clogger up the map, making them permanent really is the wrong direction for Anets “living” world vision when invasions as we see them now are pretty much static.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

Seems a pointless inconvenience.

You want random invasions then have a place for them, don’t cause them to give normal players aggro when they’re playing the game.

Think on it like this; how effing annoying is it when you wanna map to a waypoint in a hurry and it’s contested?

Oddly enough, the Scarlet invasions don’t cause the waypoints to go contested.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

Just wait the 45 minutes for the event to fail if you can’t do it seems to be the best way to remove this “issue”.

People want permanent additions to the game, and as far as we know these will only happen once or twice per day after the event.

But of all the things they could’ve made permanent THIS is what they choose??? I didn’t find it fun or engaging from day one. So many other better options to choose from.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

Invasions will need to scale (for all we know they currently do and are just pegged at 11 because of the populations involved).

ANet has shown they are very willing to scale events up or down based on how many people are in it, I’m not worried that they will suddenly change for this and only this type of content.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Hey Baggins! I love this new content and I think it’s awesome that it is going to be permanent. Hope they add even more things like this!!

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Lindonrow.2953

Lindonrow.2953

Hey Baggins!

What is a Bagginses?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Kind of dwarf with hairy feet.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Lindonrow.2953

Lindonrow.2953

Kind of dwarf with hairy feet.

I know. I freaking love LotR and the Hobbit. I probably should have put (Gollum Voice)
or something like that.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Astasia.1459

Astasia.1459

Non-issue. There are very few places where the invasion events overlap areas you would need access to for other events or heart quests. The invasion portals are also mostly soloable. 90% of the time the mech portals are soloable, the other 10% of the time they start with a champ, otherwise they scale. The molten digger one is ridiculously easy to solo, attack it with any single target ranged weapon, the mobs wont agro. The rest are easy to avoid. About the only thing you have to worry about is temp Scarlet spawn camping a waypoint for a minute, which she does occasionally do.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Man In Zero G.8312

Man In Zero G.8312

Hopefully, when they say the invasions will continue, they mean as a scaled-down, typical dynamic event, no different than any other on a given map, triggered by whatever means – time (less often than once an hour) or by a specific event chain – rather than the invasions as they stand now.
For example, we’d see Molten Alliance attacks in the Shiverpeaks and Ascalon, Aetherblades over Kryta and Maguuma, maybe some steam creatures sprinkled in here and there. But not once an hour – triggering like any other dynamic event or champion fight.
At least that’s my hope.

in Clockwork Chaos

Astasia.1459

It wont be once an hour, they did say it would happen less often. I hope other than that it’s the same. Basically what we have now except once every 3-4 hours.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

But how would that work, lore-wise?
I mean… Unless we will keep killing Molten Alliance, Aetherblades and the rest of Scarlet’s army for years to come. Oh dear…

Alright, it is fun and all… For a while. Maybe it won’t be “permanent”, but it will just take some months until they are removed? I mean, they will be removed after Scarlet is gone, right? She will be gone someday, right?

I would like to put an end to her plans someday. It is already bad enough that Orr is still full of risen even though we killed Zaithan already (LS-wise). She is cool, I like her, but fighting her forever… I don’t know.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

in Clockwork Chaos

Astasia.1459

That’s how games work, that’s how the rest of the (pre LW) game works, the same events happening over and over endlessly. I don’t think she should ever be gone completely, because it is fun content worth seeing at least once, and new players picking up the game years from now should be able to experience it. Missing stuff is not fun, I’ve missed all the LW content before Jubilee, it sucks, and hopefully this is ANet realizing that.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

They made need to keep the invasions going to keep the playhouse storyline active to let players get back into the Royal Pavilion.

in Clockwork Chaos

Gabby.3205

But if it stays forever, then where is the “Living” part of “Living Story”?
The story have to go somewhere, or that’s what they said that would happen. I want to fight the other dragons someday, and also Palawa Joko. You know, moving on. I thought that’s what Living Story was about.

Edit: Yes, I know the LS will leave some permanent changes. I just don’t think that Dynamic Events that are directly related to a villain that should be defeated someday is the best thing to stay.

Tarnished Coast

in Clockwork Chaos

Astasia.1459

You can move on with the story without removing old content. You can make a new character right now and go through the entire story again, it’s all still there. How much would it suck if they took that all out because it was “done” and “already happened?”

in Clockwork Chaos

Gabby.3205

That works for the Personal Story, but that’s not the concept of the Living Story.
If they are going to do the same thing with the LS that they did with the PS, then they should just tie the beginning of LS to the end of the PS, so that the LS would be a continuation of the PS and it would play that way for every new character.
The thing is, by not removing the content that is strictly tied to the story (DEs, instances, dungeons), the final result will either make no sense (the villain is dead but is still showing up everywhere with the minions) or it will not be really “final” (we will never be able to defeat the villain).

You know what could have been permanent? The Bazaar. The ship flew away and the zone simply disappeared, it seems. It would make sense, story-wise, for the zone to stay (but without the ship).
However, wrapping-up the plot and leaving behind the DEs… I want to know how does that fit. Story-wise, of course.

Tarnished Coast

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: squirrelzilla.5809

squirrelzilla.5809

If I were Anet, reading this forum I wouldn’t know what to think. I see posters complaining that LS content is too temporary. So the developers announce they’re going to leave of the new LS content in the game as a permanent addition, and all of a sudden some people are concerned about that.

So many mixed signals :P

Luna Wildbark [FOOL] on Crystal Desert

in Clockwork Chaos

Gabby.3205

I’m not complaining, I’m just curious about the lore ^^

Tarnished Coast

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I admit that if they are any near as big in enemies and coverage it would be quite a hassle for some people, especially people trying to level. But its really hard to judge.

I mean, it could become part of regular boss flow. But I doubt it will happen that way on all servers. Personally, my server hasn’t touched the Mother Karka event since the LS. I imagine this may very well be close to the same. :/

Its definitely a concern, as I have a friend or two that may join the game after this LS happens. And I worry they’d run into something like this and be quite confused. But who knows.

I don’t mind them keeping it and I guess its logical to keep it since Scarlet is still alive. Just I will agree it sounds like it could be a bad idea.

in Clockwork Chaos

Astasia.1459

They are changing their philosophy with the LS and moving away from temporary one-off content. I don’t really know what else to say. Lore wise she will likely be done invading at some point, but the events will continue as “content” rather than “story.”

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

But if it stays forever, then where is the “Living” part of “Living Story”?
The story have to go somewhere, or that’s what they said that would happen. I want to fight the other dragons someday, and also Palawa Joko. You know, moving on. I thought that’s what Living Story was about.

Edit: Yes, I know the LS will leave some permanent changes. I just don’t think that Dynamic Events that are directly related to a villain that should be defeated someday is the best thing to stay.

I don’t think we will be seeing any of the dragons anytime soon or even sometimes later as Anet just created out of thin air including back story for Scarlet, so she will be the main focus for a while as she has been promoted to super villain status already with this living story. And this permanent invasion only shows that Anet will not make her go away (arresting/killing). She is here to stay for a very very long time.

Plus, it is a good way to populate maps that don’t get populated on a normal day….. :P

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

This is actually a good idea. It’s adding more events to the game. So now instead of Dragon and Temple events, we’ll be getting those AND these.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Alchemist.7523

Alchemist.7523

Wait where did you see that it will continue? As far as I understand , in patch notes they said that the events will happen after Scarlets arrival but in slower pace. What I understand is that a day after or few days after launch events will start to slow down. And that is happening already , when I logged there was an event every 50 mins. Now it is every 1:30 mins or so. (including the time when event is actually happening

¬ Brightest light casts darkest shadows¬

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I won’t mind continued invasions as long as they scale. Obviously, a dozen portals opening up with champs and and a slew of lesser creatures amassing won’t be good. But if they scale to the population and if there’s some sort of way of knowing of the mini-invasion, then others could come help out, scaling the event up and making it fun and challenging. A good way to earn some loot and XP and potentially some achievements. A nice permanent meta achievement for sealing X portals over months.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Clockwork Chaos

Astasia.1459

Wait where did you see that it will continue? As far as I understand , in patch notes they said that the events will happen after Scarlets arrival but in slower pace. What I understand is that a day after or few days after launch events will start to slow down. And that is happening already , when I logged there was an event every 50 mins. Now it is every 1:30 mins or so. (including the time when event is actually happening

That’s not what the patch notes say. It says after the event is over Sept 3rd whatever the invasions will continue. The invasions have not slowed yet, they are every hour on the hour, give or take a couple minutes.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

I think some of you are missing the mark here a little bit.

See, and this is just IMO, I think the event will continue to go on because it is a part of the story. So moving forward, we don’t beat Scarlet (yet) and for at least a few months the invasions will persist (just less of them) to lead us up to one big confrontation with Scarlet.

I don’t think the invasions will continue for years so that when/if new people buy the game in a year they can play this same content. The story will evolve and in a years time, the continent of Tyria will be battling Scarlet head on or licking our wounds after a huge show down.

As for the invasions moving forward. They’ll be less often (not every hour), will most likely last longer than 45 minutes, and will scale. Again, just IMO.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in Clockwork Chaos

Alchemist.7523

That’s not what the patch notes say. It says after the event is over Sept 3rd whatever the invasions will continue. The invasions have not slowed yet, they are every hour on the hour, give or take a couple minutes.

Community Special Operations

Next

August 20 Content Release Notes
LIVING WORLD
Clockwork Chaos
The nefarious villain, Scarlet Briar, has made herself known to Tyria! Chaos ensues as she unleashes her clockwork minions across the world!
Closing Ceremony
•Witness the high point of the Queen’s Jubilee! Attend the ceremony and hear the Queen’s Speech in the Crown Pavilion of Divinity’s Reach. It’s sure to end with a bang.

Clockwork Minions Invade
•Scarlet’s clockwork minions are invading entire zones across Tyria.
•Watch the World Event UI for new invasions.
•All overflow maps created within 10 minutes of the start of the invasion will host a concurrent version of that hour’s event.
•Complete additional waves of the invasion for an increasingly lucrative map-wide reward.
•Map-wide rewards are limited to once per account, per day, per map. For example, players who claim the map-wide reward for an invasion in the Gendarran Fields will not be able to claim invasion rewards in this map until the following day.
•Complete all waves of an invasion to unlock a bonus battle with Scarlet.
•Defeat Scarlet for a daily world-boss reward of two guaranteed rare items.
•All possible maps will be invaded at least once per day.
•Invasions will not occur in Orr, Southsun Cove, or maps suited for character levels below 25.
•After the Clockwork Chaos release, the invasions will continue at a less frequent pace.

Scarlet’s Funhouse
•Scarlet has claimed and occupied a prominent structure in Tyria and twisted it into a demented fun house.
•Help Emissary Vorpp at the Crown Pavilion reverse-engineer Scarlet’s portal technology to find a way into her fun house.
•Defeat Scarlet to restore the fun house to its proper form.

Ongoing Festivities
•The Crown Pavilion and Queen’s Gauntlet will close for maintenance on September 3. Look for their return in the future!

I must be blind, where does it say that?

in Clockwork Chaos

Astasia.1459

•After the Clockwork Chaos release, the invasions will continue at a less frequent pace.

Also note the Pavilion and Gauntlet will be returning in the future.

Edit: And also if you want a quote from what I was talking about in my previous post.

Our Living World releases will expand on the promise of what it means to be a continually growing game. In the future, you’ll see a wider array of content and experiences in each release, with a greater focus on permanently expanding content.

From their July 18th looking ahead in 2013 post.

(edited by Astasia.1459)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Or the map and its events to change or react AT ALL. I find this to be odd (and irritating in the case of idiot centaurs attacking me instead of the giant steam creature that invaded their territory).

in Clockwork Chaos

Astasia.1459

Or the map and its events to change or react AT ALL. I find this to be odd (and irritating in the case of idiot centaurs attacking me instead of the giant steam creature that invaded their territory).

Many of the native creatures or DEs will react to Scarlet’s minions. Half the time I run up on a newly spawned portal there’s a battle already going on between what was already there and the portal minions. Sometimes the portal even spawns on a boss event and that boss will precede to pretty much clear the portal on its own, I saw this happen with a giant devourer champ in I think Iron Marches.

Certain enemies will not react though, I think anything that’s basically an “outlaw” is on the same side as Scarlet’s forces, like pirates and bandits, and centaurs.

in Clockwork Chaos

Alchemist.7523

Edit: And also if you want a quote from what I was talking about in my previous post.

Our Living World releases will expand on the promise of what it means to be a continually growing game. In the future, you’ll see a wider array of content and experiences in each release, with a greater focus on permanently expanding content.

After Clock work Release , as I said it is no after the end of the Living story , what I think they mean by that is that on the release day the events were more frequent and the latter it goes the less frequent they will get. So I still can’ find anywhere written that that event will stay after Clockwork Chaos event. It wouldn’t be logical to leave it..

P.s permanently expanding content doesn’t mean permanently staying. On top of that , it doesn’t really mean the invasion will stay.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

As long as the invasions don’t prevent a player from doing map completion, I don’t know why anyone would care that they’re there. The invasion will end up being similar to any other random event that you can either participate in or ignore.

Heck, if the loot remains as good as it is right now, it could be the first viable meta event ANet has added since launch, where people continue to farm it after the initial LS segment ends.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Actually, they kind of do. Because nobody does the events to prevent contesting or clear contested WP’s…

So, no, they don’t contest the WP’s by themselves, but they contest them because the portal events are active…

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

While I think it’s a good idea for Anet to start implementing permanent content, I’m a) not sure this is the type of permanent content I’d like to see, and b) would much prefer them to develop the dozens of unresolved conflicts occurring on current maps from level 0+ instead of inventing new, frivolous villains out of nowhere to crash the party every month.

I want to see the Nightmare Court plot some new heinous scheme as part of their ongoing conflict with the Grove sylvari. I want to see centaurs gain ground with some fiendish new war strategy, or the Flame Legion lay siege to the Black Citadel, or the Sons of Svanir start brewing something nasty for Hoelbrak.

We have so many underdeveloped villain factions that are established and could be given some real depth and memorable ringleaders outside of the personal story, and I don’t understand why we got one-dimensional-super-genius-just-because-Scarlet before Anet considered developing all these other half-finished ideas in their stead.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

After Clock work Release , as I said it is no after the end of the Living story , what I think they mean by that is that on the release day the events were more frequent and the latter it goes the less frequent they will get. So I still can’ find anywhere written that that event will stay after Clockwork Chaos event. It wouldn’t be logical to leave it..

P.s permanently expanding content doesn’t mean permanently staying. On top of that , it doesn’t really mean the invasion will stay.

Well, the invasions haven’t become any less frequent after the release day, so I’m guessing it means after the living story release (meaning until sept. 3). Also there’s a post somewhere (I’ll try to find it) where someone comments about invasions being temporary, and Colin (IIRC) replies with something like “who said invasions were temporary?”.

EDIT: aparently the whole thread was deleted (either a mod deleted it for some infraction or the thread creator deleted the first post, which deletes the whole thread). I can find it in some dev tracker sites, but not here. In general the thread was called “Time Anet Needs to Decide” (won’t talk about the contents so I don’t discuss why it might be deleted), in it Colin replied with “Who said the invasions were temporary?”

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

(edited by locoman.1974)

in Clockwork Chaos

Gabby.3205

We have so many underdeveloped villain factions that are established and could be given some real depth and memorable ringleaders outside of the personal story, and I don’t understand why we got one-dimensional-super-genius-just-because-Scarlet before Anet considered developing all these other half-finished ideas in their stead.

Well, Scarlet is related to three villain factions (Pirates, Inquest and the Molten Alliance, which includes the Flame Legion). Maybe we will get a villain that is related to the other factions next year, but right now they are indeed developing some of the villain factions. Yeah, maybe it is not being done in the way you want it to be, but it is being done.

Tarnished Coast

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

She’s pretty superficially related to them at best, and driving them to actions that generally have very little to do with their own cultures and causes, so it’s definitely not the way I wanted it.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I’d prefer the crown pavilion be permanent. It’s much more suited to it IMO. Though the invasions seem to scale pretty well, as 3 players can handle a portal if they’re the only ones who go there.

in Clockwork Chaos

Alchemist.7523

Well, the invasions haven’t become any less frequent after the release day, so I’m guessing it means after the living story release (meaning until sept. 3). Also there’s a post somewhere (I’ll try to find it) where someone comments about invasions being temporary, and Colin (IIRC) replies with something like “who said invasions were temporary?”.

EDIT: aparently the whole thread was deleted (either a mod deleted it for some infraction or the thread creator deleted the first post, which deletes the whole thread). I can find it in some dev tracker sites, but not here. In general the thread was called “Time Anet Needs to Decide” (won’t talk about the contents so I don’t discuss why it might be deleted), in it Colin replied with “Who said the invasions were temporary?”

Really? I have noticed that they are less frequent. Before on the launch date , a new event started probably 5 – 10 mins after the other one ended. Now it is around 30 – 40 mins. I for one wouldn’t like the invasions to stay. I don’t see the point, nor lore wise , nor content wise. That event requires a lot of people. And I think after 2 weeks people already are worn out. The event would end up to serve just for grinding gold to best.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Bovinity.8610

Bovinity.8610

Really? I have noticed that they are less frequent. Before on the launch date , a new event started probably 5 – 10 mins after the other one ended. Now it is around 30 – 40 mins.

That’s not true in any way.

So, no, they don’t contest the WP’s by themselves, but they contest them because the portal events are active…

Not sure I get your meaning here. Portal events don’t contest waypoints. Period.

If you mean something else, like portal events might make waypoints more dangerous or something, that’s fine.

Any sufficiently advanced skill is indistinguishable from luck.

in Clockwork Chaos

Gabby.3205

Really? I have noticed that they are less frequent. Before on the launch date , a new event started probably 5 – 10 mins after the other one ended. Now it is around 30 – 40 mins.

That’s not true in any way.

Not sure I get your meaning here. Portal events don’t contest waypoints. Period.

If you mean something else, like portal events might make waypoints more dangerous or something, that’s fine.

It works like this:
Regular events contest waypoints.
Regular events are not being done because everybody is busy with the portal events.
Portal events indirectly cause waypoints to be contested.

Tarnished Coast

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

If you’re not trying to do the event… walk… around it. They’re not Skynet come to seek out and eliminate players across the map, they just mill around in their spawn area.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Bovinity.8610

Bovinity.8610

It works like this:
Regular events contest waypoints.
Regular events are not being done because everybody is busy with the portal events.
Portal events indirectly cause waypoints to be contested.

The problem with that logic is that no one does the waypoint-contesting events in most zones anymore anyway. Orr is a fine study in this, since there are no invasions in Orr. Likewise, any zone where an invasion has just started and most of the waypoints are already contested is a good demonstration.

Any sufficiently advanced skill is indistinguishable from luck.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Really? I have noticed that they are less frequent. Before on the launch date , a new event started probably 5 – 10 mins after the other one ended. Now it is around 30 – 40 mins. I for one wouldn’t like the invasions to stay. I don’t see the point, nor lore wise , nor content wise. That event requires a lot of people. And I think after 2 weeks people already are worn out. The event would end up to serve just for grinding gold to best.

They’re still the same (at least as of last night), they start every hour, server time (though sometimes they start 3 minutes into the hour, and at least once I saw one begin 1 minute before the hour), going by the server clock (in the minimap), and every overflow created within 10 minutes of the event starting will also have their own copy of the event.

The different of perception might depend on which map you get. By now everyone knows how it works, so most times I’ve managed to get on the main map lately it’s usually over within 35-40 minutes, which means you’ll have to wait 25-20 minutes for the next event (depends on map, some are harder depending on mob and waypoint density and whether they become contested with events). However, if you join a late overflow (that starts just 10 minutes after the event started), and takes the whole 45 minutes, then you’ll end up at the 55th minute after the hour, which means a new invasion will start in 5 minutes. Probably why you feel the frequency has changed.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Soronthar.7236

Soronthar.7236

The problem with permanent invasion is that they may hinder people not doing the event: They can use a waypoint just to discover that they are surrounded by mobs that can kill you in a few seconds if you’re alone, or that there is a champ surrounded by elites just where you need to go.

And given the amount of people needed for champs to appear, I won’t bet that farmers will be there (you need to pass the first wave for it to be profitable).

All in all, I expect invasion to be more or less what Karka Queen is today.