Difference between RNG and RNG

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

Lot of GW2 newbies don’t seem to understand it so I will break it down to them in a separated topic as many before me have tried as a simple comment.

One half complains because they want Birthday gifts with a random mini, and there’s one who just can’t make difference between this and the RNG they hate.

Gemstore: you want an item. You can only get it from the gemstore as a rare drop from an RNG chest. 99% is junk, but you want that 1%. You hate this.

Birthday present: there’s a set of minipets and only minipets. You WILL get a minipet. Not a swimbooster or other useless thing. If you don’t like this minipet, you can sell it on the TP and buy the one you wanted. These minipets hold value. Can be traded. You can keep it or make a little or sometimes pretty great fortune from them. You would like this.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

And yet people have been complaining about RNG outside of the gemstore as well.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

And yet people have been complaining about RNG outside of the gemstore as well.

And it’s these people I just do not understand. And imo they do not understand how gaming like this works.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

Depends really.

If they add 10 minipets to the birthday presents and they all have an equal chance of dropping, then selling them and trading them would work. There’s still going to be ones that are favoured over the others and worth more but they aren’t going to be ultra expensive.

If you go back to GW1’s system where some people will get a rare minipet that could be sold for hundreds of gold but most people get a common one that sells for under a gold, it’s still gonna kitten people off.

in Clockwork Chaos

Gandarel.5091

Depends really.

If they add 10 minipets to the birthday presents and they all have an equal chance of dropping, then selling them and trading them would work. There’s still going to be ones that are favoured over the others and worth more but they aren’t going to be ultra expensive.

If you go back to GW1’s system where some people will get a rare minipet that could be sold for hundreds of gold but most people get a common one that sells for under a gold, it’s still gonna kitten people off.

That’s the point in it.

Maybe you just get a nice new minipet for your collection, but maybe this makes you rich. And that’s a nice gift :P

Currentl,y everyone is kittened off. So this could only help, and this is what players are asking for.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

But it’s not.

Your original post is that they can sell the one they don’t want and get the one they do. If they want the minipet that is 200 gold and the one they get and sell is 50 silver, it is still going to kitten off those who hate RNG.

Personally, I don’t care. I played GW1, I didn’t get a rare minipet until 3 years into my characters’ birthday and I had 12 characters., but I was never into selling them. I liked keeping them unless I had duplicates. My kuunavang from Factions CE was worth a lot undedicated but he was my first minipet, so I refused to sell it, so if they added birthday minipets similar to GW1s, it wouldn’t bother me, because I wouldn’t pay for the expensive ones anyway.

What annoys people, though, is that some people can get 200gold richer just because they got lucky. It’s the same reason a select number of players hate the current way to get precursors, though that situation is slightly different because you can come off poorer.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

Depends really.

I’d favor this system – equal chances for each pet seems fair to me. No crying about how rng favors other people or anything + you never know what you’re going to get as per usual when opening a gift.

Aside from that. I dislike the 99% crap or 1% good rng, however in the above kind of rng it doesn’t matter so much to me.

To those who don’t want ANY rng ingame… It would get boring pretty soon since bosses/mobs would always give the same loot…

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: OMNIBUS.2913

OMNIBUS.2913

The only kind of rng i hate is pure rng drops. Like fractal weapons or dragon weapons. While almost everything else is rng too you can at least buy them on the tp. But items you can only recieve through rng system and no possible other way feels like a slap in the face!

I would prefer the birthday presents be rng with many different ones as long as all the minis you can recieve can be purchased on tp!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I haven’t played GW1 but normally with things like this, isn’t there some super ultra rare minipet where 99% of people couldn’t even dream of affording while the special 1% gets to show it off?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

What the.

No, this isn’t the difference between RNG and RNG. This is the difference between account-bound items and non-account bound items which can be sold/bought on the TP.

If the GW1 bday minis were also account bound and I wanted the mini Bone Dragon, I’d be kitten ed too. Not because of RNG, but because of the account bound nature. Same thing with BL Chests. If there’s something super rare but you can sell/buy on the TP (i.e permanent merchant kit, aetherized weapons) then it’s the exact same situation as GW1 bday minis.

Your title is misleading.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

OP – please change your title. It’s like saying “Difference between Orange and Orange”.

Edit – deleted due to not fully understand what the OP wants.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)

in Clockwork Chaos

Ursan.7846

OP – please change your title. It’s like saying “Difference between Orange and Orange”.

I think you meant to say the difference between random luck and purchases?

I’m pretty sure he means the difference between being awarded a random account-bound item as opposed to a random non-account-bound item.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I’m pretty sure he means the difference between being awarded a random account-bound item as opposed to a random non-account-bound item.

That would make more sense. The title keeps throwing me off…

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Lot of GW2 newbies don’t seem to understand it so I will break it down to them in a separated topic as many before me have tried as a simple comment.

The posts above this one prove some people still don’t understand your point. I suggest giving up, I think some people will never understand it.

The second scenario you mentioned would be better than what we will get, but I would be happier with a token that we could exchange for a minipet of our choice, among unique and new birthday minipets. We would have more variety than everyone receiving the same thing, with no RNG.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

in Clockwork Chaos

Ursan.7846

The posts above this one prove some people still don’t understand your point. I suggest giving up, I think some people will never understand it.

The OP is trying to illuminate why random GW1 bday minipets are good and BL chests are bad.

The reason is because GW1 bday minipets are not account bound, while the majority of items you get in BL chests are.

You want ____, but it’s rare, and the majority of the time you get very common item _. If ____ is account bound, you 1. cannot purchase via TP what you really want and 2. you cannot sell what is personally worthless to you to someone else who values it via TP. If it’s not, you 1. can purchase via TP what you really want and 2. can sell what you don’t need to someone else who needs it.

i.e. You got a Whiptail Devourer/Karma Booster. It’s junk to you (you already have 3 Devourer minis, or 3 million karma). Whiptail Devourers can be sold however, and hence have some value to you, whereas Karma Boosters can’t be because it’s account bound.

The issue OP is bringing up is the issue of account bound vs non-account bound, not some “difference” in RNG.

The title is misleading.

(edited by Ursan.7846)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Alacrity.4312

Alacrity.4312

um, it’s a gift
sure it will make a lucky few rich, and most won’t care for minis regardless

but this one’s free
and limited to one per chakitten r year (little boost for alt-holics)

so nothing at all like the gambling-store RNG

in Clockwork Chaos

Gandarel.5091

I mean lot of people write to the topic which is against this GW2 birthday minipet system – everyone gets 1 Jennah on all characters after they turn one year, and newbies just don’t get it why do we want RNG back if we are supposed to hate it.

I am talking about that BL chests and other gemstore chests drop 99% unrelated junk opposed to what you want, when with GW1 birthday present you can and will get a minipet, nothing junk. Some minipets are rare, some aren’t, but you will get one doesn’t matter what happens.

It’s not the classical GW2 RNG where you want a minipet and you get a swimbooster.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Clockwork Chaos

Ursan.7846

I mean lot of people write to the topic which is against this GW2 birthday minipet system – everyone gets 1 Jennah on all characters after they turn one year, and newbies just don’t get it why do we want RNG back if we are supposed to hate it.

I am talking about that BL chests and other gemstore chests drop 99% unrelated junk opposed to what you want, when with GW1 birthday present you can and will get a minipet, nothing junk. Some minipets are rare, some aren’t, but you will get one doesn’t matter what happens.

It’s not the classical GW2 RNG where you want a minipet and you get a swimbooster.

You mean exactly what I’m saying. The ability to buy/sell things on the TP gives it value, even if it’s something you don’t want.

What if I want the Bone Dragon and get a Whiptail when I already have 2?

The Whiptail’s not completely worthless because you can sell it. Karma boosters however, if I happen to not need it is worthless to me.

You’re arbitrarily dictating value based on your personal opinions. To some people, minipets are worthless. To some people, karma boosters may be useful. The TP is the vehicle which these people can exchange goods through. It’s why the GW1 bday mini system was great: if you wanted the Bone Dragon and didn’t get it, you could purchase it from someone else looking to sell it. If you got the Whiptail and had no use for it, you could still sell it.

If the GW1 bday minis were account-bound, it will NOT make you happy.

The RNG is the exact same (Some items are rare, some items are common.) The ability to trade is what’s important.

EDIT: I’d like to clarify that in addition to the whole account-bound thing, the biggest difference is the intent with which the consumer purchases things. Many people buy chests for the sole purpose of getting certain items, which makes losing unpalatable to most, whereas the bday gifts are a free give-away for the one year playtime invested, which makes “losing” a lot less painful. However, this has nothing to do with the ability to sell/buy on the TP, as you mention in the OP.

(edited by Ursan.7846)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

Eh I don’t really agree. I like how Anet is doing the presents. Everyone gets the same mini pet when they turn 1, so nobody is “luckier” or “favored”.

If it was RNG based, a lot of people would be upset because they didn’t get the mini they wanted, and would whine like nobody’s business on the forums. Well, I guess they do that anyway, but I assume it could get worse.

Even if the RNG minis weren’t account bound, and were able to be traded on the TP, some minis would cost considerably more than others. All I need to say is compare Lord Faren’s mini to Lady Kasmeer’s mini. Lord Faren is around 2 gold while Kasmeer hovers around 20 gold. An even bigger difference is the Jackalope and the Undead Chicken. They’re both exotics, but the chicken is about 70 gold, and the jackalope hovers around 150-160 gold. How about that exotic baby karka mini that goes for 200 gold? All of those minis are exotics, but some are clearly more popular than others. The same thing would happen to RNG birthday minis. 7 of the 10 RNG birthday minis would sell for 1 gold, while the 3 favorites would go for hundreds of gold. Then people would flock to the forums complaining about how they got the cheap mini for their birthday and not the expensive one, and how they can’t afford to buy the expensive ones because they’re not “rich enough”.

The system Anet has is fine. It mimics the achievement award system, and I have no problem with it.

(edited by WatchTheShow.7203)

in Clockwork Chaos

Gandarel.5091

Eh I don’t really agree. I like how Anet is doing the presents. Everyone gets the same mini pet when they turn 1, so nobody is “luckier” or “favored”.

If it was RNG based, a lot of people would be upset because they didn’t get the mini they wanted, and would whine like nobody’s business on the forums. Well, I guess they do that anyway, but I assume it could get worse.

Even if the RNG minis weren’t account bound, and were able to be traded on the TP, some minis would cost considerably more than others. All I need to say is compare Lord Faren’s mini to Lady Kasmeer’s mini. Lord Faren is around 2 gold while Kasmeer hovers around 20 gold. An even bigger difference is the Jackalope and the Undead Chicken. They’re both exotics, but the chicken is about 70 gold, and the jackalope hovers around 150-160 gold. How about that exotic baby karka mini that goes for 200 gold? All of those minis are exotics, but some are clearly more popular than others. The same thing would happen to RNG birthday minis. 7 of the 10 RNG birthday minis would sell for 1 gold, while the 3 favorites would go for hundreds of gold. Then people would flock to the forums complaining about how they got the cheap mini for their birthday and not the expensive one, and how they can’t afford to buy the expensive ones because they’re not “rich enough”.

The system Anet has is fine. It mimics the achievement award system, and I have no problem with it.

Yeah. Instead of making someone just happen and some extra happy, everyone gets a mini that is totally pointless, because everyone will get it. Everyone.

When you got the birthday box, you were excited, because you never knew what will you get. Yes I often got the worst minis if we look at the value, but often I loved those almost worthless minipets because I got them as a birthday gift and that meant a lot. I loved them doesn’t matter what. I was always looking forward for the next box, what will I get, will that be rare and so on.

But if you got and extreme rare one, then you could either show off or sell it, so your birthday actually got you loads of gold.

But now, you get something that nobody will use because everyone has it. Income = 0, Value = 0.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Topher.1684

Topher.1684

How about mimicking the skin part of the achievement system, and offer us a choice of mini pets for our birthday They could even remain account bound, so long as we we’re given x number of the same mini pet? I think the reason for MANY of the complaints comes solely from the fact that my second and third (and 4th….etc) character will give me…the same mini pet (I’m not referring to those that created 8 characters on day 1 to make a profit like some posts have been suggesting, but for anyone that has more then 1 character on their account…eventually they will reach 1 year in age). And I’m guessing if they are like other mini pets given to us you won’t be able to sell or mf them…It’s like another version of that stupid Mini Risen Priests of Balthazar…

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I wonder if threads like this would have existed had the internet been around back when I was buying baseball cards and trying to complete the set?

Server: Devona’s Rest