Don't slaughter people in Divinity's Reach

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Sometimes, designers go for shock effect over quality storytelling (see almost everyone who dies during the personal storyline). Now, the teaser for the Queen ‘s Speech sent to some fansites hints that Scarlet will attack Divinity’s Reach.

That’s nice and all… But if a lot of people were killed in the attack, it would basically mean the end of the human race. While Hoelbrak is basically a large camp, the Black Citadel is one Charr city among others, and Rata Sum is one more Asura aggregation, Divinity’s Reach is basically the last human stronghold, where they hold their line. Suffering a huge loss of life in the only place they have a small degree of sanctuary (Centaurs and bandits are rampaging just outside) would likely demoralize what would remain of humanity and make them fade away.

I would be happy if ArenaNet avoids killing people just for shock value, and manages to create a menace that is terrifying without slaughtering what remains of one of the most endangered races in the game.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I think that with all the heroes that have been attracted to the city by the gauntlet aswell will get their time to shine by defending the city. Those heroes, being us, will likely save alot of lives though I doubt we can save all.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

ahhh, there’s still Ebonhawke…

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

ahhh, there’s still Ebonhawke…

Which is connected to Divinity’s Reach by a poorly guarded asura gate. :P

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

Sometimes, designers go for shock effect over quality storytelling (see almost everyone who dies during the personal storyline). Now, the teaser for the Queen ‘s Speech sent to some fansites hints that Scarlet will attack Divinity’s Reach.

That’s nice and all… But if a lot of people were killed in the attack, it would basically mean the end of the human race. While Hoelbrak is basically a large camp, the Black Citadel is one Charr city among others, and Rata Sum is one more Asura aggregation, Divinity’s Reach is basically the last human stronghold, where they hold their line. Suffering a huge loss of life in the only place they have a small degree of sanctuary (Centaurs and bandits are rampaging just outside) would likely demoralize what would remain of humanity and make them fade away.

I would be happy if ArenaNet avoids killing people just for shock value, and manages to create a menace that is terrifying without slaughtering what remains of one of the most endangered races in the game.

Inevitably humans, along with the others races, will probably be harmed during the event. However this won’t demoralize humanity it would only cause them to unite even further. Did the humans lay down and die after the Flame Legion caused the searing? No two years later after their homeland got turned into a barren wasteland they endured and held their ground. When the battle was truly against them they retreated but only to fight from a more advantageous position. Also humanity isn’t endanger. If you think about it there references of humans coming from the south which means there must be more lands with humans we don’t know about. Also the Gods brought humans originally to Tyria which means there an entire planet of humans somewhere in the Guild Wars universe.

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

Nuke Divinity’s Reach!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

Arenanet writers can only kill off important human characters.

Any important charcters that died in the LS? Only the Ascalonian Theo Ashford.

Any city getting attacked and burned down? Ofc it is DR.

But still looking forward for it. Just seems unfair.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Mespilia.2896

Mespilia.2896

Unfair in war???

in Clockwork Chaos

Gandarel.5091

Unfair in war???

Unfair in story writing.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

I think that with all the heroes that have been attracted to the city by the gauntlet aswell will get their time to shine by defending the city. Those heroes, being us, will likely save alot of lives though I doubt we can save all.

Then Kiel will take credit for it. If not her, then someone. Save whatever you want,someone else will get the credit. Then they will use the power they’ve gained by taking credit for our hard work to do horrible things. Don’t believe me? Look at everything that happened because of our actions in GW1. We set loose a mad dictatorship, that has it’s only goal as maintaining more power at the expense of it’s suffering people. We put a freaking undead king with enough power to fight zhaitan into power in elon, where his first act was be as sadistic and vicious as possible to the few people there that helped us fight. We awoke an ender dragon….o.k. wait that one is a bit shaky you see there were these destroyer things etc. Still in almost every case where the player did not directly take credit, it was much worse for the world. Horrible things happened because we let people use power for us, but they weren’t ready for that power.

in Clockwork Chaos

Darkbattlemage.9612

Probably because many don’t want the important human characters killed off so it would be more dramatic. Honestly how many Asura players actually want the Arcane Council to live? I find them to be infuriating and wouldn’t care if they were killed. As for Charr, Norn, and Sylvari it probably because the impact of a important character’s death won’t really effect that race. Charr hierarchy will ensure the Charr are back in the fight as soon as possible, Sylvari are essentially free-spirited, and Norn are independent.

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

They are beginning to portray Scarlet in a way similair to the Joker from the Dark Knight. I haven’t seen the film in a long time, but didn’t all the people on the boat with the bomb on it survive? This is GW2, not Game of Thrones or the Walking Dead. There won’t be real consequences, just the illusion of them.

I honestly don’t think ArenaNet can create a truly threatening villain unless they are willing to kill a few meaningful people in the process. Even if there is a slaughter, Divinity’s Reach is full of guests from all over Tyria. I wouldn’t be surprised if the humans were outnumbered by the guests from other races that came to witness the speech.

If they want Scarlet to appear as something more than a toothless shark, she needs to get her hands dirty. It’s part of why Canach isn’t quite evil. Humans are the most played race in the game, they aren’t going extinct any time soon. Scarlet has to achieve some kind of real consequences for her to be a relevant villain.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Unfair in war???

Unfair in story writing.

There is nothing unfair in story writing. You write what you want to tell readers…..
How is it unfair to massacre hundreds or thousands of people from a storyline point of view? It is for dramatic affect.

in Clockwork Chaos

Gandarel.5091

Unfair in war???

Unfair in story writing.

There is nothing unfair in story writing. You write what you want to tell readers…..
How is it unfair to massacre hundreds or thousands of people from a storyline point of view? It is for dramatic affect.

I’m just talking about that we got like 20 races and they can only punish humans.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Unfair in war???

Unfair in story writing.

I’m just talking about that we got like 20 races and they can only punish humans.

I’d love for ArenaNet to punish one of the other races if it meant they got some screen time. The “punishment” you speak of is having the politics, characters and locations most relevant to that race become central to the Living Story for a month. That sounds like an awesome gift to people who love humans in GW2.

If Rytlock or Caithe being under threat of assassination meant that I could spend more time exploring charr or sylvari culture and characters, I would vote for that in a heart beat.

The worst punishment of all is to not be present in the story.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: PMilkos.9103

PMilkos.9103

Unfair in war???

Unfair in story writing.

How are they “only punishing humans”? When the dredge and flame legion united and stuck against the charr and norn first, where they “only punishing humans”? When Jormag drove the norn out of their homeland, where they “only punishing humans”? When the dragons invaded all regions except for Kryta, were they “only punishing humans”?

It’s actually high time for something happened to Kryta. They’ve softened up to the point where they’re getting beaten by kitten horses. Their Queen does nothing but throw parties and banquets while Logan and Anise are too busy running behind her skirts to get anything done…

in Clockwork Chaos

Gandarel.5091

Unfair in war???

Unfair in story writing.

How are they “only punishing humans”? When the dredge and flame legion united and stuck against the charr and norn first, where they “only punishing humans”? When Jormag drove the norn out of their homeland, where they “only punishing humans”? When the dragons invaded all regions except for Kryta, were they “only punishing humans”?

It’s actually high time for something happened to Kryta. They’ve softened up to the point where they’re getting beaten by kitten horses. Their Queen does nothing but throw parties and banquets while Logan and Anise are too busy running behind her skirts to get anything done…

I was talking about the LS and IMPORTANT characters, not villagers being terrorized.

But if we are at it… humans lost Ascalon to the charr in a magical genocide. Humans lost Orr as another magical genocide. Southern Kryta got flooded and lost its capital city along with most of its navy.

Human got defeated by undeads in Vabbi, Kourna and Istan. Humans lost ground when the Jade wind struck half of Cantha.

Yeah.. norn got driven south. I almost feel sorry for them just like for murderous charrs.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

From the ashes shall rise New Divinities Reach and it shall be beautiful.

And it shall hold districts for all human nations far and wide and shalt not waste space on a colosseum.

And we shall form an alliance with the centaurs against those new oppressors and the centaurs shall let us ride on their backs and it will be good.

For did the prophet did not say: “It shall be good.”?

And the other races shall see our glory and tremble and the pact shall be null and void.

For did we not say we will rule them all?

From New Divinities Reach we shall reach out and conquer what is rightfully ours and beyond.

But we will be fair and just and each of the races may serve us to their best purpose.

For the Asura shall invent as per our will.

For the Charr shall battle for us.

For the Sylvari shall tend to our gardens.

For the Norn shall bring meat and beverage on our tables.

Thus it is now written and thus it will be.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Clockwork Chaos

Darkbattlemage.9612

From the ashes shall rise New Divinities Reach and it shall be beautiful.

And it shall hold districts for all human nations far and wide and shalt not waste space on a colosseum.

And we shall form an alliance with the centaurs against those new oppressors and the centaurs shall let us ride on their backs and it will be good.

For did the prophet did not say: “It shall be good.”?

And the other races shall see our glory and tremble and the pact shall be null and void.

For did we not say we will rule them all?

From New Divinities Reach we shall reach out and conquer what is rightfully ours and beyond.

But we will be fair and just and each of the races may serve us to their best purpose.

For the Asura shall invent as per our will.

For the Charr shall battle for us.

For the Sylvari shall tend to our gardens.

For the Norn shall bring meat and beverage on our tables.

Thus it is now written and thus it will be.

Problem with your theory, four races versus one. I doubt any of the four races will serve you, especially doubt any of the Charr will bow. Now that I think about it this would actually probably also lead to civil war amongst the humans as not all humans wish to rule the other races. So if humanity did try to conquer the world they end up a footnote in history as a warmongering ambitious race in the last Elder Dragon Cycle.

in Clockwork Chaos

Rouven.7409

Problem with your theory, four races versus one. I doubt any of the four races will serve you, especially doubt any of the Charr will bow. Now that I think about it this would actually probably also lead to civil war amongst the humans as not all humans wish to rule the other races. So if humanity did try to conquer the world they end up a footnote in history as a warmongering ambitious race in the last Elder Dragon Cycle.

Ah, you are overthinking it. Point is I doubt that the living story will endanger humanity and, although I would actually like this, I doubt that we will get to rebuild Divinities Reach. But it would be enough explosive stuff for a loooong living story, no?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

If I’m not wrong, DR its only the last Krytan reign… I mean, probably have another humans in cantha, and Elona.

Anyway, nothing to say about. Not any real thread here.

in Clockwork Chaos

Darkbattlemage.9612

Ah, you are overthinking it. Point is I doubt that the living story will endanger humanity and, although I would actually like this, I doubt that we will get to rebuild Divinities Reach. But it would be enough explosive stuff for a loooong living story, no?

Well I do play an Asura, although my gf says I fit a Sylvari more with my curiosity of things. I think it be cooler if not only Divinity Reach was struck but every major settlement simultaneously. It would have the impact that whomever or whatever was behind it is a serious threat that does require the full attention of the Pact to handle. Of course it would be a lot of work for that to occur, so I doubt it be anything that large of scale.

in Clockwork Chaos

Rouven.7409

Well I do play an Asura, although my gf says I fit a Sylvari more with my curiosity of things. I think it be cooler if not only Divinity Reach was struck but every major settlement simultaneously. It would have the impact that whomever or whatever was behind it is a serious threat that does require the full attention of the Pact to handle. Of course it would be a lot of work for that to occur, so I doubt it be anything that large of scale.

Oh for sure (I play all races btw and I like them all).

They did say that everything should come together … I guess we have to wait and see.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Alleluia.1320

Alleluia.1320

Then Kiel will take credit for it. If not her, then someone. Save whatever you want,someone else will get the credit. Then they will use the power they’ve gained by taking credit for our hard work to do horrible things. Don’t believe me? Look at everything that happened because of our actions in GW1. We set loose a mad dictatorship, that has it’s only goal as maintaining more power at the expense of it’s suffering people. We put a freaking undead king with enough power to fight zhaitan into power in elon, where his first act was be as sadistic and vicious as possible to the few people there that helped us fight. We awoke an ender dragon….o.k. wait that one is a bit shaky you see there were these destroyer things etc. Still in almost every case where the player did not directly take credit, it was much worse for the world. Horrible things happened because we let people use power for us, but they weren’t ready for that power.

So… Kormir is Scarlett, then?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Gonna disagree with the OP. I’ve been wanting something to attack DR for a long time now, to the point that you’ll have dynamic events within the city like in Ebonhawk.

Part of the reason I mained a human is because of how DR reminded me of Minas Tirith. I want some epic fights in that city. I was actually expecting one of the dragon minions to crawl out of the great collapse eventually, before it was plowed over in this last patch…

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I want an attack on DR but I want it from the White Mantle and their gods. Not some steampunk pirate wannabes.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

Important NPC’s died among the Asura, Sylvari, Charr, and Norn throughout the personal story for all races.

Well… maybe not Asura. I can’t think of any Asura.

But still, my point remains.

in Clockwork Chaos

Gandarel.5091

Important NPC’s died among the Asura, Sylvari, Charr, and Norn throughout the personal story for all races.

And I’m still talking about the living story not the personal… why is it so hard to understand guys?

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Vodac.9742

Vodac.9742

I’m a Charr, sooooooo…..go ahead and save us the trouble ANet. Fanks

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: PolarisNova.3867

PolarisNova.3867

I don’t mind seeing some sort of fight in Divinity’s Reach….it would be a perfect opportunity to show the other races that you don’t mess with humans!

:-)

~Lady Amelia of the House of Rose~

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Zayd Akira.1942

Zayd Akira.1942

You’re forgetting Ebonhawke, also theres Cantha and Elona, maybe obliterating Divinities reach is Anets way of openning up the gates to Elona/Cantha.
/sarcasm

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

How can you forget that Asura that died blowing up that Risen ship?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mursaat killing everyone in Divinity’s Reach. Make it happen Anet.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

I think that by attacking DR they will only strengthen the ties between the different races. Human and Charr fighting together to survive? Nothing breeds a better friendship.

Looking at the story every champion and hero is currently in DR, so they’ll probably protect everybody. Scarlet will take over the clockwork robots and cause them to attack people, which is already extremely disappointed. (boring plot) The Azura already do this, live side by side with giant death robots that periodically malfunction. I really hope I’m wrong.

If it’s some kind of time attack where they try to warp the city into some alternate state, I will be blown away.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Man In Zero G.8312

Man In Zero G.8312

I was about to post stating that yes, ANet would attack a major city, after all they did it in GW1, and then it hit me:
All of this is starting to remind me more and more of the first Dragon Festival.
Celebrating the anniversary of a ruler’s ascension to the throne, bizarre attacks by otherworldly creatures outside a major city, then finally the monarch appears to give a speech and…. Bad Things Happen.
There’s a very good chance Divinity’s Reach will not be a safe place for a while.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

And I’m still talking about the living story not the personal… why is it so hard to understand guys?

Whom are the important LS characters though? Braham and Rox? Kiel and Evon? Those are about the only ones I can think of unless you’re talking about the Nobles that are basically dull and pointless. Everyone else is Personal Story related and they couldn’t kill any of those people off. If they killed Queen Jennah.. they’d have to re do the entire personal story for the humans.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I was about to post stating that yes, ANet would attack a major city, after all they did it in GW1,

Mursaat Rally anyone? Or GW Prophecies betas? Or Factions preview event? Or the Karka recently in LA? Yeah, Anet has a reputation for invading their own towns and outposts. Although in GW2 this has so far lead to a lot of performance issues.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Well since everyone seems to be on topic with murdering, killing, blowing up Divinitys, humans, etc. I figure since Scarlet is a sylvari we blow the entire grove into cooked spinach.

People want action, lets do it. Rock Tyria to its core.

Maybe we can level all the playable races and just be left with new races to play

1. Skritt
  2. Quaggan
  3. Centaur Grawl
  4. Jotun
  5. Tengu

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Meriem.3504

Meriem.3504

I want to see the placed razed to the ground! Now that would be a permanent change to the game! :s I also want my hole back!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Denial Of Service.5732

Denial Of Service.5732

Well since everyone seems to be on topic with murdering, killing, blowing up Divinitys, humans, etc. I figure since Scarlet is a sylvari we blow the entire grove into cooked spinach.

People want action, lets do it. Rock Tyria to its core.

Maybe we can level all the playable races and just be left with new races to play

1. Skritt[/b]
  2. Quaggan
  3. Centaur Grawl
  4. Jotun
  5. Tengu

ANet HIRE THIS MAN! nao!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

I don’t get why you are limiting it to important characters. Flame and Frost might not have killed important characters, but it killed and displaced a lot of Charr and Norns. Not to mention it was a huge attack on Charr/Norn areas. So I don’t get where you’re getting the ‘bad stuff only happens to humans’ thing from.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

They are beginning to portray Scarlet in a way similair to the Joker from the Dark Knight. I haven’t seen the film in a long time, but didn’t all the people on the boat with the bomb on it survive? This is GW2, not Game of Thrones or the Walking Dead. There won’t be real consequences, just the illusion of them.

I honestly don’t think ArenaNet can create a truly threatening villain unless they are willing to kill a few meaningful people in the process. Even if there is a slaughter, Divinity’s Reach is full of guests from all over Tyria. I wouldn’t be surprised if the humans were outnumbered by the guests from other races that came to witness the speech.

If they want Scarlet to appear as something more than a toothless shark, she needs to get her hands dirty. It’s part of why Canach isn’t quite evil. Humans are the most played race in the game, they aren’t going extinct any time soon. Scarlet has to achieve some kind of real consequences for her to be a relevant villain.

Canach did kill people.
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/canachs-story-an-after-hours-meeting/

“The sack held three irregular shapes inside and had a small, dark stain seeping through the bottom to form a puddle beneath.” "… Blingg continued to stare at the grisly bundle, fixing on the pair of horns that had punched out through one side. "

Technically Scarlet had the council member killed back during the Dragon Bash. She is head of the Aetherblades, and the Aetherblades are the oens who did the assassination. She gave the order for it to be so.

tl;dr: Scarlet and Canach have already killed people.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

My character has killed hundreds of humans, charr, asura, sylvari, norn and all other possible races throughout my story and I’m still the guest of honor. You gotta suspend your disbelief when you talk about the storylines.

My point being, Canach has “killed” people off-screen on a website. There’s no impact. He has no personality. I agree that if ANet wants Living story to go anywhere, they need to build characters more and finally have them do stuff that has a lasting and big impact. So far what we’ve done in the LS could just as well not have happened at all.

in Clockwork Chaos

Gandarel.5091

I don’t get why you are limiting it to important characters. Flame and Frost might not have killed important characters, but it killed and displaced a lot of Charr and Norns. Not to mention it was a huge attack on Charr/Norn areas. So I don’t get where you’re getting the ‘bad stuff only happens to humans’ thing from.

F&F consequence: some wounded farmers for who we must find new houses in Southsun.

While for example the death of Theo Ashford, (another dead Ascalonian, it’s their favourite thing to kill off within humanity because GW1 people got feelings tied to the humans in Ascalon) triggered other events, basically an election.

I don’t worry a bit about other races because I know they will be fine, only humans can get hurt.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]