I would like to thank ANet...

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

…for kittening up their game for two weeks (or four, rather) with these farming events. As you have in your great wisdom created events that anyone can farm regardless of skill, dedication or grouping, you have effectively killed off all other aspects of your game.

Let’s liberate a Temple in Orr! Nope, sorry, invasion up.
Let’s go to a Dungeon! Nope, sorry, farming Aetherblades.
Let’s kill the Claw of Jormag! Nope, gotta farm as long as the invasions are still happening EVERY kittenING HOUR!

I think you’ve by now got the picture that I absolutely hate the invasions (and hated the pavillion farming before them). They are by far the worst Living World content you have introduced since you decided to go with your two-week release schedule. They are unimaginative, repetitive and simply, boring. The only reason people are doing them in such great masses is that they are by far the easiest and fastest way to get loot while putting in practically zero effort. Which is sad, really, as it shows that the great majority of the players are only interested in increasing the numbers in their virtual wallet and are willing to sacrifice fun gameplay in lieu of “moar shinies”.

So congratulations again! Keep doing this and I predict you will burn out your players before Christmas. One day all those farmers, staring blankly at the colourful flashing explosions all over their screen, stop and ask themselves: “Why am I doing this again?”

At least next week we get SAB, which AFAIK is nowhere near the “most efficient” way to grind shinies.

One – Piken Square

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Yeah, sad times. I thought the company is generally against such mindless grind in their game. Maybe it’s to do with economy changes, they wanted to prepare the market for this?

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

You know how in typical single-player games (primarily shooters) you get to a spot where you’re presented with what is essentially a pile of gimmie ammo, health regens, new, better weapons, etc.? You’re then funneled through a one-way path where you’re immediately bumrushed by a hundred enemies and six bosses….

Well, I had a personal suspicion—which I mentioned several days ago in another thread—that this windfall of loot was a setup for something to come that is designed to require massive amounts of gold to accomplish. In a move to forestall as much of the inevitable whining from players not having enough shiny to do/acquire the next big shiny the absolute instant it’s possible, they dump easily acquired phat lewts on us in anticipation of…

…the massive outlay of coin that will be needed to craft Ascended gear. Granted, much of the componentry (I scoff at dictionaries!) will require grinding dungeons, JPs, WvW, etc., but a lot of what looks like will be needed is T2+ mats. A. Lot.

They did just recently warn us about a shake-up in the GW2 economy. Well, now most of us can handle some of it much better than before. Well played, ANet, well played.

Then again, perhaps it was just to mollify some of the existing “I can’t make any gold in this friggin’ game!” bleating. Who knows. I, for one, don’t find this sort of content particularly interesting and didn’t bother with anything beyond what I needed to get the sex-bot tonic. One thing it did accomplish is to bring a lot of people together on a common goal. Umm, for a few days. Then it was just completer vs farmer. Well, nothing’s perfect.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: RvLeshrac.2673

RvLeshrac.2673

You know how in typical single-player games (primarily shooters) you get to a spot where you’re presented with what is essentially a pile of gimmie ammo, health regens, new, better weapons, etc.? You’re then funneled through a one-way path where you’re immediately bumrushed by a hundred enemies and six bosses….

Well, I had a personal suspicion—which I mentioned several days ago in another thread—that this windfall of loot was a setup for something to come that is designed to require massive amounts of gold to accomplish. In a move to forestall as much of the inevitable whining from players not having enough shiny to do/acquire the next big shiny the absolute instant it’s possible, they dump easily acquired phat lewts on us in anticipation of…

…the massive outlay of coin that will be needed to craft Ascended gear. Granted, much of the componentry (I scoff at dictionaries!) will require grinding dungeons, JPs, WvW, etc., but a lot of what looks like will be needed is T2+ mats. A. Lot.

They did just recently warn us about a shake-up in the GW2 economy. Well, now most of us can handle some of it much better than before. Well played, ANet, well played.

Then again, perhaps it was just to mollify some of the existing “I can’t make any gold in this friggin’ game!” bleating. Who knows. I, for one, don’t find this sort of content particularly interesting and didn’t bother with anything beyond what I needed to get the sex-bot tonic. One thing it did accomplish is to bring a lot of people together on a common goal. Umm, for a few days. Then it was just completer vs farmer. Well, nothing’s perfect.

WTF are you talking about with “…mollify some of the existing ‘I can’t make any gold…’” nonsense? How exactly is causing the prices of everything to drop through the floor supposed to help with that? There’s been a blanket 25% drop in market for nearly everything, so it isn’t just AS hard to make money, it is now substantially more difficult.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

What 25% drop? The majority of popular commodity items have already recovered from any short-term dips due to mass mat sell offs from champ boxes and the like. Ectos are up, for instance. Iron has already recovered. Cotton is already creeping back up. Crystalline dust has jumped. Orichalcum ore has jumped. Lodestones are about the only important commodity that’s taken a hit. I can look at just about any other random commodity and see that IF they suffered any brief dip, they’re coming out of it already. For those that market in T1 mats and harvested food, many of them have enjoyed a large rise recently due to the outflux of people in the relevant regions.

The invasions have lined most players pockets a great deal more than whatever small losses they might take during this brief downtrend (smart traders won’t have sold to depressed markets, anyway, and currently stranded—reasonably positioned—listings can sit for a while until the trend inevitably turns up again).

Ascended gear will force many T2+ mats to rise, as well—most likely—as exotics as they both feed that machine. A lot of mats and exotics have been acquired from the recent events…. There’s not a lot else on the TP that’s important for traders.

At current, I’d bet the vast majority of players that perceived themselves as having a hard time previously generating income to sustain themselves as they saw fit, are giggling uncontrollably at the sheer amount of crap they’ve acquired for basically spamming #1 a billion times.

So, I have no idea why your sky is falling. At some point markets will stabilize again, complainers will start complaining again since they won’t be able to make quite as much profit as they were while markets were in greater flux. But in this period, as far as I can see, ANet has quieted down most of the lack-of-gold complaints. The invasions and their rain of loot functioned quite well as pacifiers. But nothing lasts forever.

in Clockwork Chaos

Tom Gore.4035

Well played, ANet, well played.

So let me get this straight. ANet decided to make the Ascended weapons grindy as hell to get and then decided to make two events back to back which helped a bit in the grinding.

You know, instead of making the Ascended weapons less grindy and the two last events more interesting and less grindy.

What does that tell of them, as developers? And what does that tell of us, as players, when we follow them like lambs to the slaughter?

One – Piken Square

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Snavenhoj.9125

Snavenhoj.9125

Well I can kinda understand why everyone flocks to it though. Idk if it is just me but in this game it seems like it is very hard to make gold. Anet is stingy with loot, I mean just look at Jormag. To me Jormag is a very fun boss fight especially when he gets hit and crashes into the mountain. Looks awesome on my computer and feels pretty epic. However, how long does it take to fight him? What do you get in the end? A rare? A few greens or blues? So when you have events like this that actually enable people to make some money people are going to flock to it. And I can personally attest to that. I was broke as kitten before this event. Now I actually feel like I have a decent amount of gold. Still would like to have more stuff like Jormag though :/

in Clockwork Chaos

Tom Gore.4035

But that’s my point exactly. They make the game to require grinding for gold and then they introduce half-baked boring events to grind gold with.

It looks like maybe they’ve learning, though. On the 17th they will be revamping Tequatl to actually require people to cooperate. We’ll see…

One – Piken Square

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

It looks like maybe they’ve learning, though.

Possibly, but I strongly believe they need to be held back a year or two.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

But that’s my point exactly. They make the game to require grinding for gold and then they introduce half-baked boring events to grind gold with.

It looks like maybe they’ve learning, though. On the 17th they will be revamping Tequatl to actually require people to cooperate. We’ll see…

Revamping old bosses is not my idea of compelling content. I will not be participating in killing Tequatl the Sunless any longer. I remember another game that spent a lot of resources to revamp it’s old content. As a result, it cost that gaming company 2 million+ subscriptions in less than 3 months.

I would much prefer ArenaNet spent those resources designing completely new and permanent content.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

Yeah, sad times. I thought the company is generally against such mindless grind in their game. Maybe it’s to do with economy changes, they wanted to prepare the market for this?

At the start they claimed something similar, but this is why they’d make great politicians!

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: CheckeredDeath.3849

CheckeredDeath.3849

If you don’t look forward to what they are going to put out, you’re whole life is just going to be disappointment. Get happy about what’s coming not down about how it isn’t exactly what you would like just yet. Very few times will anything ever be exactly how you would like it to be fellers, come to terms with that and you’ll do just fine little butterflies.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

If you don’t look forward to what they are going to put out, you’re whole life is just going to be disappointment. Get happy about what’s coming not down about how it isn’t exactly what you would like just yet. Very few times will anything ever be exactly how you would like it to be fellers, come to terms with that and you’ll do just fine little butterflies.

There was a time when I looked forward to new content. I was excited when I would see that launcher downloading new data. However, after being disappointed by the Living Story releases time and time and time again, I have learned to loathe the content before it’s even released. And it’s not that I had some high expectations for the content releases. I merely took ArenaNet at their word and was sadly let down when they failed to deliver on their own stated design goals.

in Clockwork Chaos

Tom Gore.4035

I am looking forward to at least the two next updates, although I am already afraid how the Tequatl fight revamp will turn out and how they will handle overflows with that. Hopefully this time the best way to get loot is to actually beat the event as quickly as possible.

One – Piken Square

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: fungihoujo.8476

fungihoujo.8476

This game’s becoming a korean grindfest. First we get mindless endless monster killing to get loot, then we get fights which are purely artificial difficulty based and revolve entirely around one hit kills.

What’s next, trying to get us to speak the language by subtly putting it into common items in the ga- wait a second.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

I’ve made more gold the past 2 weeks than I’ve ever made in my life. Grinding wasn’t exactly fun, but I enjoyed the event.

in Clockwork Chaos

Tom Gore.4035

I’ve made more gold the past 2 weeks than I’ve ever made in my life. Grinding wasn’t exactly fun, but I enjoyed the event.

Listen to yourself? It wasn’t fun buy you enjoyed it?

Don’t you mean that you enjoyed the loot despite of the fact that getting it wasn’t fun?

That’s a really dangerous road we’re being lead into.

One – Piken Square

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Don’t you mean that you enjoyed the loot despite of the fact that getting it wasn’t fun?

Yes it is, but guess what ? there is no solution that can satisfy anyone.

If they do fun content with no reward (never mind that what is fun is subjective) some people will not play it cause fun or no its pointless for them. They see it as a waste of time when they could use that time to become richer.

If they do fun content with great reward (again fun is subjective) people will turn it into a grind for the rewards and ruin the fun for them as well. Just look at the Queen Gauntlet. I dont know what kind of play you are but if you’re one who likes a challenge, the Queen’s Gauntlet was great! Just look at the forum people begging Arenanet to nerf Deadeye and not because they didnt want others farming him, ohh no because they themselves wanted to stop farming it cause they couldnt help themselves. The reward made fun content into a torture for these players.

So what can Arenanet do really? They have one option and thats create variety. The invasions arent amazing content by far. I’d rather do the gauntlet 100 times over but if you’re one such farmer? Well I am pretty sure these invasions are much much better then repeating the same fight over and over and over and over again.

Not all players are the same, They also bought the game and Arenanet has to create content for them as well.

in Clockwork Chaos

Tom Gore.4035

I guess you have a point. Perhaps they should never have introduced ascended and/or legendaries, so people would stop worrying about shinies after they hit 80 and have their exotics set ready?

Nah they’d probably just quit playing. Looks like for most of the people playing MMOs today it’s the numbers on the sheet that matter and not the amount of fun they’re having…

One – Piken Square

in Clockwork Chaos

Galen Grey.4709

Exactly. There isnt a solution per-se its more like trying to make the best of it by providing something for everyone with the least amount of damage possible.

Its a balance. One that I am sure is not easy to keep.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

Sigh. The way I see it given what is happening next the events are actually to help you (going bold this so hopefully you will actually read it.)

The events are to help you who are behind in money to catch up with the market shock about to hit. However there is more. If you realized how the new MF will work each unopened champ bag has a guaranteed green. Think about it. After Tuesday once you open those bag they may help you progress immensely in MF. Further more it provided the opportunity to flood the market with more greens helping to stave off the eventual price jump. The events themselves also have helped flood the market with mats (due to limited inventory plus drops) and flood banks with them further helping stave off the price shock on the horizon. It incentivized exploring zones and getting way points. Most of all it provided those who were left out of farm runs due to class and build the capability to farm like the elite. The window was so wide that it allowed the almost the entire pop access. I understand your gripe but if they had just dropped ascended weapons on us with out this hugely incentivized grind we poor players would be for a lack of a better word kittened.

From this chain I got “Golden”, my Commander tag, mats, a couple of hundred greens, and a decent cushion in my bank for the market hit we are about to take. Instead of complaining you should have seen the big picture and help with the events. The vast majority of the pop ended up on the winning side of this and realize it. It is truly sad that you see a 4 week event as game ruining given we get content updates so often and temples are always there. Smh it is sad how so many can’t see the bigger picture.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

(edited by TheGuy.3568)

in Clockwork Chaos

Tom Gore.4035

I read you the first time. My point was, it’s a crappy way of doing progression. Making everything super-grindy to get and then “give” you events where you can ease the grind.

It makes no sense, at all.

One – Piken Square

in Clockwork Chaos

TheGuy.3568

I read you the first time. My point was, it’s a crappy way of doing progression. Making everything super-grindy to get and then “give” you events where you can ease the grind.

Compared to other titles this is not a grind. At least not a real grind. The way I see it this was shoring up the economy for what is about to happen. It is good because it is temporary and will be gone soon. While you may want innovative content each and every LW patch there are times where devs need to look at the pop and see what would be best for them. In this case a 4 week voluntary participation grindfest to shore up the wallets of the poor. It is a good thing that this happened. Yes it is boring an repetitive but it is lucrative and will usher in SAB which is challenging and fun. No matter your complaint this was good for the vast majority of the player base.

Kor The Cold Heart War

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Compared to other titles this is not a grind. At least not a real grind. The way I see it this was shoring up the economy for what is about to happen. It is good because it is temporary and will be gone soon. While you may want innovative content each and every LW patch there are times where devs need to look at the pop and see what would be best for them. In this case a 4 week voluntary participation grindfest to shore up the wallets of the poor. It is a good thing that this happened. Yes it is boring an repetitive but it is lucrative and will usher in SAB which is challenging and fun. No matter your complaint this was good for the vast majority of the player base.

So what you are really saying is, Anet doesn’t care about new players?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Sounds really fun to me. I really can’t stand farming and it’s not like I was making huge profit before with dungeons, etc. So now I’m even more left behind?

in Clockwork Chaos

Tom Gore.4035

Sounds really fun to me. I really can’t stand farming and it’s not like I was making huge profit before with dungeons, etc. So now I’m even more left behind?

Well not really. Now that we have seen what the ascended weapons require, the only thing that might take a while for you is the leveling to 500.

We don’t know the drop rate of the T7 materials yet, but in any case you should look forward to be able to craft your ascended weapon doing various stuff at your own pace.

So no sweat. Those who grinded their behinds off will of course get their ascendeds faster, but we are not talking about months of difference.

Well unless of course the T7 drops are horrible and those with loads of gold can just get the refined mats off the TP.

One – Piken Square

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: RvLeshrac.2673

RvLeshrac.2673

Well not really. Now that we have seen what the ascended weapons require, the only thing that might take a while for you is the leveling to 500.

We don’t know the drop rate of the T7 materials yet, but in any case you should look forward to be able to craft your ascended weapon doing various stuff at your own pace.

So no sweat. Those who grinded their behinds off will of course get their ascendeds faster, but we are not talking about months of difference.

Well unless of course the T7 drops are horrible and those with loads of gold can just get the refined mats off the TP.

I can guarantee that, like some of the existing mats, the T7 drops will be horrible and those with loads of gold, a.k.a the cash to P2W, will just be able to buy whatever they want from the TP.

in Clockwork Chaos

TheGuy.3568

So what you are really saying is, Anet doesn’t care about new players?

Not really (not even sure how you came to that conclusion). Considering the current player base is several million strong I doubt I could even give an argument for new players besides the fact they can still get to where we are it will just take longer (as in the vast majority of MMOs). I do not work for Anet so I have no clue. That being said I wouldn’t really give 2 kittens as far as this issue goes. A player with a couple of thousand hours in game is not really going to work about the other player past PvP. given Spvp is a level playing ground and PvE is simple and rarely requires gear checks (past farming easy runs) it simply does not matter. There are huge gaps in the current player base that needed to be closed.

New players have access to a plethora of cheap exotics so I fail to see the point of your one line post.

Let me respond in kind.

Are you trying to say Anet shouldn’t care about the current player base that already bought the game?

Kor The Cold Heart War

in Clockwork Chaos

Galen Grey.4709

I can guarantee that, like some of the existing mats, the T7 drops will be horrible and those with loads of gold, a.k.a the cash to P2W, will just be able to buy whatever they want from the TP.

I cant read the future but I doubt that very much. I dont see the reason of combining time gating with scarcity. It wouldnt make much sense. Asking for a lot of something with really low drop rate is only helpful to slow a player down. You dont need to do that if there is also a time gate in place.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

No, I enjoyed the event overall, not just the invasions. The playhouse, the pavilion, all of it. Overall it was fun. When it got grindy I stopped playing it. Did 1-2 invasions a day and still got lots of treasure.

in Clockwork Chaos

Tom Gore.4035

No, I enjoyed the event overall, not just the invasions. The playhouse, the pavilion, all of it. Overall it was fun. When it got grindy I stopped playing it. Did 1-2 invasions a day and still got lots of treasure.

Well now you are making more sense, but it also tells me you didn’t really make much gold before the invasions and you’re still not swimming in it.

One – Piken Square

in Clockwork Chaos

Galen Grey.4709

But thats exactly the thing and the problem. The inability to enjoy the game because people dont care about the game they care about the reward. Why would it be a problem if there was an event which could potentially have you swimming in gold and they opt to enjoy yourself instead?

Why do players have to find a way to corrupt fun content in such a way that it comes extremely boring but lucrative? I honestly dont understand it!

in Clockwork Chaos

Tom Gore.4035

I’m not sure if the invasions could be done in a fun way even if there was no lucrative rewards…

I mean they’re just bunches of mobs randomly spawning in the world and then you kill them all. How exciting!

One – Piken Square

in Clockwork Chaos

Galen Grey.4709

Yes they can be. If you do them in small groups they actually a lot of fun and pretty challenging. The mob design is awesome. What makes it boring is for some reason people love to zerg even though they claim to hate it. In a small group of 3 people? they’re a whole different experience! try it sometime and you’ll see what I mean

in Clockwork Chaos

Tom Gore.4035

I have tried. Apart from the nifty twisted clockwork destroy mechanism there isn’t anything fun about annihilating a bunch of mobs with uninteresting and trivially easy mechanics.

I haven’t tried killing Aetherblades with a small group because… well you know.

One – Piken Square

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Slyde.3961

Slyde.3961

Just my thought on it, but a good way to do it would have been to have 3 spawn areas. Clockworks, Pirates and the Miners.. they could have made it so each area gave the same rewards to keep people from farming one over another, and then made it so you had to get through each stage within min of each other.. so if everyone zerged to one group or the other you would lose. You would have to organize and split up to have enough people at each area. Then all 3 could have converged on Scarlet and maybe a large Clockwork sidekick.

Again, just an idea..

I had fun with it and made a lot of money, and as a non-hardcore gamer it helped me get some gold in the bank and some better gear so I can actually do other parts of the game without getting rolled.

Like a couple people have said, Arenanet has to cater to a wide group of players. And I never heard anyone in my guild complain about the invasions or that they were ruining the game. It brought me back to the game after a few months off.

in Clockwork Chaos

Galen Grey.4709

I have tried. Apart from the nifty twisted clockwork destroy mechanism there isn’t anything fun about annihilating a bunch of mobs with uninteresting and trivially easy mechanics.

I haven’t tried killing Aetherblades with a small group because… well you know.

In small groups they’re definitely not trivially easy. The smallest group I was in was 2 people and we managed to do 2 events before dieing and we were co-ordinating hard, setting regen on each other CCing while the other ran for some space and that sort of thing. I tried solo and didnt manage.

It isnt that hard to be in a small group just go to a random event and wait for people to show up. in a couple of minutes I always get a couple of people showing up… or at least someone!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

But thats exactly the thing and the problem. The inability to enjoy the game because people dont care about the game they care about the reward. Why would it be a problem if there was an event which could potentially have you swimming in gold and they opt to enjoy yourself instead?

Why do players have to find a way to corrupt fun content in such a way that it comes extremely boring but lucrative? I honestly dont understand it!

fun (f n) n. 1. A source of enjoyment, amusement, or pleasure. That’s going to vary from person to person. Games are “supposed” to be about fun. When you’re a kid, fun is everywhere. Kids use their imaginations to make everything they do fun. As they get older, people often engage in activities where using their imaginations is detrimental to what they have to do. Using your imagination at work can be good for your job if you’re in a field where creativity is desired, but in some jobs it can get you fired for daydreaming too often.

A huge percentage of an MMO’s target audience is composed of adults. As a result, MMO’s and many other video games tend to have a slightly different focus. They’re less about fun, and more about gratification. Gratification is the pleasurable emotional reaction of happiness in response to the fulfillment of a desire or goal.

A lot of people will mistake gratification for fun, although there is a subtle difference. Providing gratification is easier for a programmer than providing fun. One person’s fun is someone else’s boredom. However, providing a goal — whether it’s about completing a challenge or getting a shiny, is a lot easier. You can’t program fun, but you can program something to be a challenge and you can provide pixelated rewards.

More importantly, fun cannot be stretched out as much as gratification can. No matter how fun an activity can be, once you’ve repeated it over and over, sometimes the fun just leaves. Goals, on the other hand, can be stretched out, and players can be enticed to play for lengthy periods because they are seeking the result. You have to be careful, though. Stretch things out too much and avoiding the tedium of lots of repetition overcomes the drive towards gratification.

Sometimes, fun and gratification go hand in hand. If a player gets absorbed in doing whatever it is s/he finds challenging, that player will often call that activity fun. However, not all players will find activities that provide gratification to also provide fun. Farming events can be boring. Boring and fun are seldom associated. Yet, people will pursue those activities as long as the goal still entices them.

That’s why.

in Clockwork Chaos

Galen Grey.4709

@IndigoSundown I understand that part perfectly. What I dont understand is this why would you choose gratification over fun if fun is what you want? For example a past post on the forum begged arenanet to nerf Deadeye cause the same posters said they just couldnt take it anymore didnt want to farm him so much but just cannot get themselves to stop.

Is it possible that in the entire game these people have nothing they find fun?
and if so why ask to be force fully stopped from getting gratified rather then go play whatever you find fun for a few hours and then come back for more gratification is you just cant live without that?