Invasion Strategy : Kill mobs or Leave mobs?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Souff.2671

Souff.2671

Q:

There is an inaccurate thing in the invasion event occurs at hourly intervals.

The event mark pops in a map, so peeps head to there and kill around mobs. When its event succeed, there is still so many mobs.

About it, someone says “We should kill those then head to another mark”, another one says “Leave those mobs, just head to another mark”.

So, which is right? Anyone have “correct” information about this? Please let me confirm it.

I’m not an english speaker. So my english is super poor. Very SOrry!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: AnthonyOrdon

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

A:

The waves of Scarlet’s minions are depleted by killing creatures that emerge from the portals. Kills count, not necessarily events.

The pirate and molten waves are depleted by completing events.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

Destroy Scarlet’s invading minions until her portal exhausts its energy supply

Which mean you don’t need to kill minions. You kill them only to exhaust portal energy supply. Once it’s 0 move along.

Drive off the Aetherblade pirates.

Typical, morale down to 0 move along, but wait….

Defeat the Aetherblade Captain

Just kill the captain, move along.

Defeat the Molten Alliance shaman

Just kill the shaman, move along.

1 more about drill

Just kill the drill, move along.

(stay if there is a champ or two, beware of timer)

All of this events, if success will count toward meta-event. (kill the leftover not count to meta-event).

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scarlet%27s_Minions_Invade! explain everything

(edited by deviller.9135)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The only issue I see with leaving the mobs is sometimes an event will start right on top of one just finished or just left. And the old mobs are still there if nobody killed them off (for most events).

This can turn into a “charlie foxtrot” (you figure it out, I’m not saying it) rather fast for smaller groups who have no idea what they’re walking into.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

it depends… Group size, distance to next event, region, event type, kind of mobs, …
First off, if there is an event just nearby and the leftover mobs are veterans, just leave them in any case.
Move on to the next event and do that instead.
It’s another thing, however, if you have to waypoint across the whole map to get to the next event. Getting the whole group out of combat might take longer by running, especially in “crowded” areas with little to no “safe spots”, where more and more natural mobs will keep you in battle no matter what.

If you are like 4-5 guys and the leftovers are only trash, just kill them. It will take something like 10 seconds.

If there’s a champ, however, you may want to finish him off, if you are not more than 15 guys, else, it simply takes too long.

That’s only for the “standard” events.

Aetherblades leftovers: If a champ is left over, look at the timer, then decide whether to kill him or not.

As for molten alliance etc, just ignore them and move on. They are rather tanky and you don’t have to kill a single one of them to complete the event.

There is also the other kind of leftover:
Aetherblades, when MA has already spawned.
I once stayed in such a case to quickly spike down a captain, just in case, someone was planning on farming the guy.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

(edited by naphack.9346)

in Clockwork Chaos

deviller.9135

The only issue I see with leaving the mobs is sometimes an event will start right on top of one just finished or just left. And the old mobs are still there if nobody killed them off (for most events).

This can turn into a “charlie foxtrot” (you figure it out, I’m not saying it) rather fast for smaller groups who have no idea what they’re walking into.

Just leave it a while (non combat state) the mob will dissappear.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Destroy Scarlet’s invading minions until her portal exhausts its energy supply

Which mean you don’t need to kill minions. You kill them only to exhaust portal energy supply. Once it’s 0 move along.

Drive off the Aetherblade pirates.

Typical, morale down to 0 move along, but wait….

Defeat the Aetherblade Captain

Just kill the captain, move along.

Defeat the Molten Alliance shaman

Just kill the shaman, move along.

1 more about drill

Just kill the drill, move along.

Except you are just looking at the events and not the over all meta event. The Meta event says to kill stuff, not to just do the events. Just because leaving them will finish the meta event doesn’t mean killing them doesn’t also complete the meta event.

in Clockwork Chaos

deviller.9135

Except you are just looking at the events and not the over all meta event. The Meta event says to kill stuff, not to just do the events. Just because leaving them will finish the meta event doesn’t mean killing them doesn’t also complete the meta event.

There is no definite proof to: If you stand there and do nothing (for all people) or if you fail to finish the first wave, the meta is success or fail (if the meta still success, then it is designed to success no matter what you do (It’s Anet decision). Fail or success the mob will go anyway.). The only I know: if you (all players) don’t do those sub-events, your meta will show no progress at all.

The meta said you need to kill stuff. The sub-event said: you need to kill x to do sth. Nothing wrong with that. The meta and the sub-events inside it is still connected each other. And what you are doing to complete the sub-events is still by killing stuff (except the drill, although if you consider destroy drill = killing drill, it’s still not deviate from meta).

Now it’s about efficiency. All sub-events have their own local success. Which mean if those sub-events have finished (shown as medal or event bar is gone), why should I kill more ? Just go to another sub-events as what you kill after that sub-event finished does not count toward the meta nor sub-event before.

(if you ever play RIFT, same thing happen. There will always surplus of invader which you need to beat, there will always surplus of RIFT which you need to close. But after the objectives in the meta fulfilled, do you need to close the RIFT or beat the invader ? It is up to player. But is it still count toward the meta ? NO. In RIFT, each invader has their own leader. Slay the leader, 1 invader has been subdued (although there is still 2 or 3 minions alive). Do I need to kill the minion ? No, you don’t need to, but you can if you want to.).

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

There is no definite proof to: If you stand there and do nothing (for all people) or if you fail to finish the first wave, the meta is success or fail (if the meta still success, then it is designed to success no matter what you do (It’s Anet decision). Fail or success the mob will go anyway.). The only I know: if you (all players) don’t do those sub-events, your meta will show no progress at all.

The meta said you need to kill stuff. The sub-event said: you need to kill x to do sth. Nothing wrong with that. The meta and the sub-events inside it is still connected each other. And what you are doing to complete the sub-events is still by killing stuff (except the drill, although if you consider destroy drill = killing drill, it’s still not deviate from meta).

Now it’s about efficiency. All sub-events have their own local success. Which mean if those sub-events have finished (shown as medal or event bar is gone), why should I kill more ? Just go to another sub-events as what you kill after that sub-event finished does not count toward the meta nor sub-event before.

(if you ever play RIFT, same thing happen. There will always surplus of invader which you need to beat, there will always surplus of RIFT which you need to close. But after the objectives in the meta fulfilled, do you need to close the RIFT or beat the invader ? It is up to player. But is it still count toward the meta ? NO. In RIFT, each invader has their own leader. Slay the leader, 1 invader has been subdued. Do I need to kill the minion ? No, you don’t need to, but you can if you want to.).

You are not answering the op’s question though. Just your personal preference to get more rewards. And this is not rift you can’t compare ones inner workings with the other without actually knowing.

in Clockwork Chaos

deviller.9135

You are not answering the op’s question though. Just your personal preference to get more rewards. And this is not rift you can’t compare ones inner workings with the other without actually knowing.

There is an inaccurate thing in the invasion event occurs at hourly intervals.

The event mark pops in a map, so peeps head to there and kill around mobs. When its event succeed, there is still so many mobs.

About it, someone says “We should kill those then head to another mark”, another one says “Leave those mobs, just head to another mark”.

So, which is right? Anyone have “correct” information about this? Please let me confirm it.

Op only ask this.
1. He means for each sub-event inside the meta
2. Success in those sub-events.
3. But has leftover mob.
4. Should I kill the mob or move on to other mark.
(my answer based on what you should do in those sub-events).

And due to thread title Invasion Strategy : Kill mobs or Leave mobs?

I can only answer, what strategy I used to say to other people (although for some of sub-event, even if it has done, if there is a champ or two, I will stay and slay the champ (but only if there is a champ or two)).

And I dunno what you are talking with get more reward ? I sacrifice my chance to loot a bag by leaving the mob I had tag (if there is no champ). And I always get EXP while I am travelling to another spot (which mean some people slain the mob I tag). If you think I maximize the reward due to I move to another event after x event done: I always said leave it go to other mark. Its their own fault if they stay, I had said it, I had suggested to leave the mob alone after the event had been finished (especially TM event).

About the nature of event: timed. Successfully finished an event -> toward meta. Kill the leftover after the event (or I said sub-event) does not count toward meta. For efficiency: So why should I kill the leftover mob (unless there is a champ) -> if there is a champ, I would not say leave it to other people. I will go to next event, finish the event, move again, finish another, move again.

As a player, you should had your own opinion, your own decision which you think best for your own and your team (if you team-minded), should I kill all the leftover, or should I move to the next event. As in my case in general: “Leave those mobs, just head to another mark” (unless if there is a champ (especially in aether one) >>> minion ? its rare, the biggy one is silver). That’s why if the event has succeed, I will go to another mark (although it may be far away thus I need to WP) unless there is a champ or more left. (ps: I always go to mark which less crowded (and sometimes I do it alone until there is 1 or 2 people help me, stupid ? maybe :p)).

(That’s why, from the first, I explain: just do what sub-event say, and move along. (if there is a champ, its up to you, you want to move or stay.). I will edit my first post in this thread.)

Now about: what about the event which still there although meta-event not needed:
I have 2 opinion about this:
1. If time is in your side: do them all
2. If time is not in your side: do which is needed in meta-event.
(only works for either shaman or aether)

The nature of this event is almost the same as the one in RIFT (the difference, in GW2, this sub-event mobs are not doing anything special, while in RIFT the mob always move and attack any settlement in the map. That’s why I used RIFT as comparison.)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

For me, it’s much less about, “should I continue to kill”, as “CAN I continue here and not be dead in a few minutes”?

When everyone else takes off for the next event, you are asking to die, if you stick around with 25 enemies realizing you are the only target left within their AI range.

RUN AWAY!!!!!!!

I seriously don’t see the reason to stick around if those remaining monsters are no longer required for the event nor provide much (if any) loot. If Anet wants these cleared out, make the last monster in a mob drop something desirable and I’ll fight for it.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

Nice answer, that makes all my theories obsolete.
From now on, I will clean up

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Souff.2671

Souff.2671

Maybe my question was incomplete informations for asking. Sorry about it.

The waves of Scarlet’s minions are depleted by killing creatures that emerge from the portals. Kills count, not necessarily events.

And yeah, this is what I wanted to confirm. Thank you!

I’m not an english speaker. So my english is super poor. Very SOrry!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: CelebrityX.7014

CelebrityX.7014

Can you still progress the different waves if say the Aetherblade or Molten Alliance events are not completed or still in progress?

in Clockwork Chaos

deviller.9135

Can you still progress the different waves if say the Aetherblade or Molten Alliance events are not completed or still in progress?

Yes, TM event can progress forward (only TM event). But you need to beat them all to make Scarlet beatable.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: JK Arrow.7102

JK Arrow.7102

Gosh it almost feels the exact opposite of this while playing…

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: pmnt.4067

pmnt.4067

Is there any reason for that inconsistency?

I can’t wait until ANet releases the game promoted in the manifesto.
Until that, I’ll play GW2.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

A problem is that even after, for instance, the pirate morale has been depleted, there is still a lot of pirates around. Ive seen several times people still run around to the pirates or MA after they no longer count to farm the champs.

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

good to know! ; ))

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Is there any reason for that inconsistency?

Because you need to take out the Pirate Captains or the Molten Shamans for the Pirate/Molten waves to deplete. There are no Twisted Champions (other than Champion Nightmares which are spawned through event scaling).

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

I’m skeptical.

I’ve seen the minion meta event deplete much faster when the group is quickly moving from one event to the next, rather than lingering around. This could be because a lot more minions simply spawn during the first few waves of a new event, but I’m think even completing itself takes off a significant chunk as well.

Now, the pirate and molten waves, that does match up with my experience. In particular, you have to complete the Pirate Captain events to advance the Aetherblades meta event.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I’m skeptical.

I’ve seen the minion meta event deplete much faster when the group is quickly moving from one event to the next, rather than lingering around. This could be because a lot more minions simply spawn during the first few waves of a new event, but I’m think even completing itself takes off a significant chunk as well.

/facepalm
Hands out tinfoil hat

There you go son. xD

I mean, he literally explains how it works, how it was designed, and yet you’re like.
* Heavy voice * “I don’t think that’s how it works”

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Astasia.1459

Astasia.1459

Doesn’t make sense that they would be different, especially since it’s the AB ones specifically that would benefit more from being per enemy killed rather than event completed. I’m skeptical as well, because if that’s how it works it’s dumb.

People are still going to ignore leftover mechs and stand around and finish leftover AB champs.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

If events counted it would be hard-capped towards how fast you do the events, and now it’s only how fast you kill mobs. And there’s several ways to kill the most mobs. On top of that, people would still zerg on the AB captains and champions regardless and the event would always fail. Given the same conditions, anyway. This creates like a soft-cap to how well organised people are, instead of asking for a pure method of doing the meta event.

To be honest, that the event not always succeeds is a pre to the event. It’s about how well you can coordinate your map as well as your group. That there’s people that don’t want to be coordinated, well yeah, that’s part of the whole MMO thing. There’s always people that wont listen.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Mastermavrick.2439

Mastermavrick.2439

I’m skeptical.

/facepalm
Hands out tinfoil hat

There you go son. xD

I mean, he literally explains how it works, how it was designed, and yet you’re like.
* Heavy voice * “I don’t think that’s how it works”

hahahahahhahahaaha…… I was just lurking checking stuff here, interesting Dev post i like that info, good to know. But your comment just made my night

takes off Tinfoil Hat (I thought it was events myself but /shrug. I find it moving between events faster sometimes since more mass spawn rate occurring.)

The Revenant Apostle [Rvnt]→ DragonBand
Kaiji Ruko – 80 Ranger, Revanat Shadowdeath – 80 Necromancer

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Astasia.1459

Astasia.1459

If events counted it would be hard-capped towards how fast you do the events, and now it’s only how fast you kill mobs. And there’s several ways to kill the most mobs. On top of that, people would still zerg on the AB captains and champions regardless and the event would always fail. Given the same conditions, anyway. This creates like a soft-cap to how well organised people are, instead of asking for a pure method of doing the meta event.

I think you misread. The dev said events don’t count for the mechs, only kills, but for the AB and Moltens kills don’t count, only events. It’s backwards to what people actually do. So yes people zerg, on AB champs after the event is over and waste time on them, but nobody wants to bother sticking around to clean up leftover mechs since they can get more reward doing another one or finding a AB portal.

Convoluting the whole thing by making them work differently also throws off planning and strategy since most people haven’t read this thread. Everyone assumes they all work the same way, because, you know, that would make sense. They should all be based on kills, with upscaled enemies that take 5 minutes to kill worth a lot more than solo trash people oneshot.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I’d just like to point out, this post has caused more arguing in map chat than before

A question to ask is, do Champion Nightmares reduced the bar more than regular minions? Because, if a kill is a kill, we should be attacking the softest targets possible to close the portals the quickest. Meaning, champion nightmares should actually be avoided. Especially if he spawns right before the portal closes. Just move to the next event. Besides, event’s give XP/Karma/silver/Influence which are all forms of currency too.

It’s not farming the Pirate or Shaman Champions that’s the problem. It’s the extra time trying to close the portals that’s causing the issues.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The Twisted events are depleted only when new minions spawn, which in turn only occurs once all minions from the previous wave are defeated. Only ORIGINAL minions count; new minions spawned by Twisted minions or when they combine to form bigger minions do NOT count against this total.

Thus, if you’re aiming to complete events as quickly as possible, focus purely on trash mobs and Veterans. It is quite rare for Elites or Champions to spawn directly unless there’s a huge zerg at your location, and if this is the case, you’ll notice pretty quickly that all Twisted minions bar the Elite/Champ is dead, and the bar’s not moving.

It’s also preferable to get the Aetherblade reinforcements first, since it takes more time to complete the Aetherblade events than it takes to complete the Molten Alliance events. (A single Elementalist with Meteor Shower can just run by, cast it on the Tunneling Device, and run on knowing that Meteor Shower will destroy the device all by itself, for instance.) Note that you must kill the Aetherblade Captain and complete his event in order for the Aetherblade bar to move; completing the “defeat the Aetherblade pirates” pre-event does not affect the Invasion bar at all.

Since more players like to go farm the Aetherblade events, you can also use that to your advantage by going to Twisted events instead. Enemies will be easier due to smaller player numbers, and the farmers will eventually progress the Aetherblade bar.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: JK Arrow.7102

JK Arrow.7102

So this prompts another question. Let’s say you have a map that’s either not fully populated or where the groups spread out perfectly to each event so that the twisted events do not scale up to great numbers. And as a comparison you have a full map that zergs the twisted events so that the enemy count scales up greatly.

If kills are what reduces the twisted bar, is it based on the number of enemies that spawn or is it fixed? Would they reduce the twisted bar at the same rate? Because most feel that not zerging and spreading out would be more efficient for these events.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Very good info above, TY! Wishing Anet would have provided much more info instead of leaving us to fight over it for day on end. Even spiking, doesn’t have a visual or measurable effect to quantify doing it.

I like the event for the busyness to some extent. Though the lack of info takes so much away from it.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

So this prompts another question. Let’s say you have a map that’s either not fully populated or where the groups spread out perfectly to each event so that the twisted events do not scale up to great numbers. And as a comparison you have a full map that zergs the twisted events so that the enemy count scales up greatly.

If kills are what reduces the twisted bar, is it based on the number of enemies that spawn or is it fixed? Would they reduce the twisted bar at the same rate? Because most feel that not zerging and spreading out would be more efficient for these events.

It is based on the number of enemies that spawn, but there seems to be a cap on the number of minions that can spawn at once (about 10 or 12, from recollection). Beyond this point, the minions just get tougher, spawning more Veterans, Elites or even Champions. You ideally want to avoid this, because the Elite and Champion Twisted Nightmares take a LONG time to kill, even with a group of 5 – 7 players.

Having several groups of 5 – 7 players that each stay in a particular part of the map and do events in the area is the most effective way of fighting the Invasions, rather than having 2 to 3 zergs that waypoint around. This keeps the level of enemies to mostly normal and Veterans, with the occasional Champion when the event calls for it.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

If kills are what reduces the twisted bar, is it based on the number of enemies that spawn or is it fixed?

From what i have seen, it seems that it’s not killing individual mobs that depletes the bar, but rather mob waves. With few people at events it can be 2-3 mobs per wave. With more it can be like 10 mobs per wave. They still seem to deplete the bar all the same (so no, upscaling the event to get – and kill – more mobs will not get the bar to move faster).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

If I may ask, what was the logic behind making one depletion bar a function of kills while the other is a function of events?

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”