New enemy revive mechanic

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

I’m surprised no one has actually mentioned this yet. The new twisted minions can actually get revived by other twisted minions after going down. You have to apply a finisher to make sure they don’t come back to life. This mechanic makes a lot of sense because after all, the Watchknights and the Twisted Minions are really just parts put together. Oddly enough, there’s no achievement tied to finishing these guys off.

I think if this is implemented in future content it could add a lot to the game. If executed poorly it could do the opposite. Imagine how a boss could revive its minions after you kill them. During the time the boss is doing the revive it could be in a vulnerable state where you do extra damage to it; plus it won’t hit you back. Now of course, you may want to finish the minions off simply because it would make the fight a lot easier with only the boss to worry about. Having the player make tough choices like this in a fight is what is currently missing in the game.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

I agree, it’d be great to have this be a more prolific mechanic in PvE.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

One of them can heal the others too.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Remillard.8691

Remillard.8691

I was pleased to see the downed mechanism from PvP come into play in PvE content. A nice already-present way to add a little more depth to the fight (do I take the time to down it, or do I start hacking on the next guy?). I wanted to see some PvP finishers in play though rather than just the banner staking.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Sadly I think it’s done a little backward. The trash mobs revive while the big ones don’t seem to.

In open world PvE it’s not really a fight against challenging combat so much as it is a fight to snag kill credit on as many enemies as possible.

If you’re taking time to finish an insignificant mob, you’re missing out on kills.

However, if you needed to finish off a champion before he resurrected as a non-lootdropping champ or veteran, you’d be all over that.

Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s a cool idea. It’s just that once players have repeated content a few times, they are in it mostly for the rewards if not solely from that point on.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

in Clockwork Chaos

zeromius.1604

Sadly I think it’s done a little backward. The trash mobs revive while the big ones don’t seem to.

In open world PvE it’s not really a fight against challenging combat so much as it is a fight to snag kill credit on as many enemies as possible.

If you’re taking time to finish an insignificant mob, you’re missing out on kills.

However, if you needed to finish off a champion before he resurrected as a non-lootdropping champ or veteran, you’d be all over that.

Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s a cool idea. It’s just that once players have repeated content a few times, they are in it mostly for the rewards if not solely from that point on.

I think right now ArenaNet is experimenting with this concept so it appears to be poorly implemented. We can actually take it one step further where these types of enemies don’t drop any loot until they’re finished off. Then people would be all over it.

Let’s actually take an additional step forward with the healing mechanic someone mentioned. Let’s say there’s a dungeon where every enemy is mechanical and any trash that you decide to skip will become spare parts for the last boss. In other words, the trash you skip will converge on the boss from all corners of the dungeon and sacrifice themselves to the boss in order to heal it. This doesn’t mean skipping trash won’t work because you can still kill them before they make it to the boss but it does produce a risk/reward kind of situation. Do you kill trash for a shorter boss fight or do you skip them and risk a longer boss fight?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Ayarei.6912

Ayarei.6912

too bad we cant use our finisher atm

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: WhiteFox.9432

WhiteFox.9432

Let’s actually take an additional step forward with the healing mechanic someone mentioned. Let’s say there’s a dungeon where every enemy is mechanical and any trash that you decide to skip will become spare parts for the last boss. In other words, the trash you skip will converge on the boss from all corners of the dungeon and sacrifice themselves to the boss in order to heal it. This doesn’t mean skipping trash won’t work because you can still kill them before they make it to the boss but it does produce a risk/reward kind of situation. Do you kill trash for a shorter boss fight or do you skip them and risk a longer boss fight?

I LOVE the idea, but sadly, I don’t think with the current game mechanics that is doable. But you could be on to something. Maybe one designer can get inspired by this. Cause I …hate…skipping… (died to much doing so.)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Actually the mechanic is more complicated and I think it varies by enemies.

-they can get revived
-they can explode after 3 seconds
-they can be consumed by larger mobs, transforming them to even more powerful enemies

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Ubrasaur.7103

Ubrasaur.7103

It might sound strange, but for me the most exciting part in months has been the addition of the downed mechanic for enemies and enemy healers. It makes the game feel more solid when the opponents are playing by generally the same rules I do. I loved in GW1 how most of the enemies used the same skills available to the players, and generally only from two professions. I’d like to see more of that in GW2.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: WhiteFox.9432

WhiteFox.9432

Agreed. :-)

I almost dare to say, that the enemies presented in this content are the interesting thing yet. Next to the culling.

They animate cool, they have cool mechanics…

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

-they can get revived
-they can be consumed by larger mobs, transforming them to even more powerful enemies

It’s…

Horrors (The Hound-like Screechers) will create Menders.

Menders (The Wasp-like Healers) will create Terrors.

Terrors (The Breeze Rider-like Spitters) will create Exploding Turrets.

Nightmares (The Karka-like Reflectors) will not create anything.

Also, when in combat, it’s possible for 2 Horrors to merge into a Veteran. If they do this while one of them is in the throes of death (dying animation) it will still work AND a scrap will appear on the ground that will typically be turned into a Mender fast.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Firefly.5982

Firefly.5982

I sure hope I’m not the only one finding this new mechanic super annoying…XD

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

It’s interesting although I don’t think it’s very clear visually. People don’t understand all those gears laying around.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

While I think the merge/rez mechanics are quite interesting, I find the destroy mechanic incredibly annoying.

That finisher move animate lock the character and share the same key as pick up loot, I feel it really break the flow of combat sometimes.(before anyone say it’s the same as WvW, no it is not.)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

-they can get revived

It’s corpse exploitation from GW1. Made for a nice little nostalgia moment.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Kiriwar.7382

Kiriwar.7382

Oh, I was wondering what the point of finishing enemies is.

Welp Anet, you did an excellent marketing ploy cause now I’m really gonna buy Cow Finisher.

Like swords, sorcery and misfortune?
Read Wingless, a fantasy comic about a knight’s journey, here!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

I think this mechanic opens up a lot of cool ideas for boss fights!

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Ubrasaur.7103

Ubrasaur.7103

My rabbit finisher wasn’t showing up.

in Clockwork Chaos

zeromius.1604

You just reminded me of the Ancient Karka. You finish him off by stomping on the ground and he falls into this big lava pit. Even if it’s just for aesthetics I thin it would be pretty epic to finish a boss off with style.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

You just reminded me of the Ancient Karka. You finish him off by stomping on the ground and he falls into this big lava pit. Even if it’s just for aesthetics I thin it would be pretty epic to finish a boss off with style.

hehe perhaps that too but also just fights in general where you’d have to make sure mobs stay downed or a certain order or whatever. WoW had something like that in Trial of the Crusader, very fun mechanics and quite challenging. (Oh kitten I just mentioned WoW. I’ll light the fire for the stake)

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Astasia.1459

Astasia.1459

I sure hope I’m not the only one finding this new mechanic super annoying…XD

You aren’t. I hate it.

It wouldn’t be so bad if the cast time wasn’t so long and easily interrupted. Most of the time you are better off letting them get revived than standing there for like 4 seconds getting beat on only to be interrupted right before the end or to have the enemy revive them before you can finish (because they can be revived almost instantly).

It’s an interesting mechanic but horribly implemented currently.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

I love it, but with 2 changes it would be much better:

1. Use our pvp finishers. People who only do pve would actually have a reason to buy gem store finishers
  2. give the things downed health, so you can kill them by attacking or let them bleed out etc.

I think bosses could have a downed state too, but they only rally with 25% health or something and they accumulate downed penalty.

It would be really cool if mobs with CC tried using it when youre trying to finish a downed/broken mob, but only in dungeons because it’d be overpowered in open world ;D

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

in Clockwork Chaos

zeromius.1604

I love it, but with 2 changes it would be much better:

1. Use our pvp finishers. People who only do pve would actually have a reason to buy gem store finishers
  2. give the things downed health, so you can kill them by attacking or let them bleed out etc.

I think bosses could have a downed state too, but they only rally with 25% health or something and they accumulate downed penalty.

It would be really cool if mobs with CC tried using it when youre trying to finish a downed/broken mob, but only in dungeons because it’d be overpowered in open world ;D

Or have bosses with multiple phases where you complete each phase with a finisher of your choice. Bosses rallying could get annoying. In addition to having less health after subsequent downs they would also need to take more damage after a rally.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

A really nice idea that opens up some interesting mechanics/scenarios, although as it works right now with the twisted thingies you are better off letting their revives go off most of the time.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in Clockwork Chaos

Esplen.3940

My rabbit finisher wasn’t showing up.

A dev already stated that only the default finisher will show up and it is intentionally made that way (for now).

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Reminds me of the good(?) old days from Slaver’s Exile where the Stone Summit dwarves would just res each other over and over and over. XD

WTB Frozen Soil!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

There actually is an achievement for it! Tonight’s daily includes doing some number of those finishers, which I realized when I got credit for it during an invasion. I’m not sure if it’s 25 or 50, I’m not in game this moment.

I’ve never seen my Rabbit finisher (I don’t really WvW and I’ve never sPvP’d) and I’d love to see what it does.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

There actually is an achievement for it! Tonight’s daily includes doing some number of those finishers, which I realized when I got credit for it during an invasion. I’m not sure if it’s 25 or 50, I’m not in game this moment.

I’ve never seen my Rabbit finisher (I don’t really WvW and I’ve never sPvP’d) and I’d love to see what it does.

I didn’t do any finishers and I got the daily, it’s just for killing the mobs.

This mechanic is actually pretty annoying to me – gets in the way of looting very often and I find myself canceling out of the finisher animation more often than not. :x

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Sadly I think it’s done a little backward. The trash mobs revive while the big ones don’t seem to…

My first thought as well!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

wish my PvP finishers worked on them.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

Sadly I think it’s done a little backward. The trash mobs revive while the big ones don’t seem to…

i imagine that’s the case because the mobs aren’t as much reviving each other through a slow process of healing, as much as they are fusing together into a stronger mob (weak living mob + dead mob = strong living mob). at least that’s what was happening during the closing ceremony instance.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Clockwork Chaos

Esplen.3940

i imagine that’s the case because the mobs aren’t as much reviving each other through a slow process of healing, as much as they are fusing together into a stronger mob (weak living mob + dead mob = strong living mob). at least that’s what was happening during the closing ceremony instance.

-they can get revived

It’s…

Horrors (The Hound-like Screechers) will create Menders.

Menders (The Wasp-like Healers) will create Terrors.

Terrors (The Breeze Rider-like Spitters) will create Exploding Turrets.

Nightmares (The Karka-like Reflectors) will not create anything.

Also, when in combat, it’s possible for 2 Horrors to merge into a Veteran. If they do this while one of them is in the throes of death (dying animation) it will still work AND a scrap will appear on the ground that will typically be turned into a Mender fast.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Type “/rank” without the quotes in your chatbox.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690