What Scarlet saw. (Short Story)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Tad.4109

Tad.4109

So, people shout about how this should be in-game.
HOW would this be in-game?
The only one that could tell us all this would be Scarlet (if she even can due to the experiment) and I have rather major doubts she would tell us.

there are a number of ways a story like this could be told in the game. cut-scenes, journal entries players collect for completing missions, or maybe the player journeys around the map to interview the various NPCs Scarlet held her apprenticeships with. all of those people hold valuable information, and talking to them could make for some very interesting in-game detective style storytelling.

And that is assuming they are still alive and/or willing to actually talk about her. We do know that she didn’t have much trouble at least killing off one of them, so why assume the others are safe?

i’m not assuming they are safe…that could also be part of the fun of trying to find them.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

Oh, wow. That’s a wonderful story! Scarlet is such an intriguing being. She reflects a desire in all of us… the desire to create, the desire to know, the desire to master. She is so utterly “human” in her visions and impressions, it makes her very relatable and yet starkly different at the same time. The whole story has, at least to me, a deep sort of spirituality which I find admirable. And in the end, I feel bad for Scarlet. She is so smart, but she’s let her pride drive her to think she’s above everything. Her view of the Pale Tree and destiny, while factually accurate, is deeply flawed. I think when she truly sees the light and the darkness she has readily scorned, she’ll come to realize her own folly.
I applaud you, Arenanet. Scarlet is a wonderful character! I love how you’ve twined her actions throughout the entirety of our stories, and I love how you’ve portrayed her as a person with flaws as deep as her intellect.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Best to describe this story is liken to putting make-up on a pig.

Everybody already know about the pig and making it nice a pretty doesn’t change the fact — it’s still a pig.

So what exactly did we learn that is useful from the story? Absolutely nothing! The pig is still a pig, only prettier with flowery words to describe what happened.

Besides, this story is not well thought off.

She claims, “So much makes sense now. The Pale Tree, the Nightmare Court, Caithe and Faolain…it’s all part of a grand design.”

Yet she believes that she’s not part of that design and can change things however she wants.

“We can change the rules…well, I can. And I’m going to.”

WHAT THE H’?!

If she’s as smart as the story claims her to be, she would have realized that her every action are perhaps part of that “grand design”; that all her actions are preset and predefined and there’s no way for her to escape that fact.

But whatever, let the reality in Tyria implodes.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

Oh, wow. That’s a wonderful story! Scarlet is such an intriguing being. She reflects a desire in all of us… the desire to create, the desire to know, the desire to master. She is so utterly “human” in her visions and impressions, it makes her very relatable and yet starkly different at the same time. The whole story has, at least to me, a deep sort of spirituality which I find admirable. And in the end, I feel bad for Scarlet. She is so smart, but she’s let her pride drive her to think she’s above everything. Her view of the Pale Tree and destiny, while factually accurate, is deeply flawed. I think when she truly sees the light and the darkness she has readily scorned, she’ll come to realize her own folly.
I applaud you, Arenanet. Scarlet is a wonderful character! I love how you’ve twined her actions throughout the entirety of our stories, and I love how you’ve portrayed her as a person with flaws as deep as her intellect.

You have a very active imagination.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

You have a very active imagination.

Why thank you :P

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

I know that Guild wars has never been known for its grand writing, but… I guess they’re not paying their writers enough anymore. I haven’t seen a Sue this bad since 2007. I wonder if Arenanet even cares about the quality anymore.

Seriously.
Omg.. this is the dumbest, over-compensatey, girl-power we-need-to-make-Sylvari-important moment in Guild Wars yet.. kitten .. I thought it was stupid when they wanted the make the Dragons as powerful as the gods, now they have a stupid Sylvari with god-like knowledge & an idiotic ‘tee-hee, I’m such a great bad-a** & i’m fun too!’ character.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Nettle.9025

Nettle.9025

Best to describe this story is liken to putting make-up on a pig.

Everybody already know about the pig and making it nice a pretty doesn’t change the fact — it’s still a pig.

So what exactly did we learn that is useful from the story? Absolutely nothing! The pig is still a pig, only prettier with flowery words to describe what happened.

She claims, “So much makes sense now. The Pale Tree, the Nightmare Court, Caithe and Faolain…it’s all part of a grand design.”

Yet she believes that she’s not part of that design and can change things however she wants.

WHAT THE H’?!

If she’s as smart as the story claims her to be, she would have realized that her every action are perhaps part of that “grand design”; that all her actions are preset and predefined and there’s no way for her to escape that fact.

But whatever, let the reality in Tyria implodes.

He warned her repeatedly about the danger to her life and her sanity

implies that maybe she isn’t all quite there anymore after this. Combination of genius and insanity maybe, so she believes she is an exception.

Badding up tourneys since 2012
NA tPvP – Elementalist – Thief

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: shauncoates.6874

shauncoates.6874

WHAT THE H’?!

She saw how the system existed before her and decided how she would become a new cog in the system in order to change the way it worked. She is changing the “grand design” (or at least is planning to).

Arkeey ~ Engineer

in Clockwork Chaos

DarksunG.9537

She saw how the system existed before her and decided how she would become a new cog in the system in order to change the way it worked. She is changing the “grand design” (or at least is planning to).

He warned her repeatedly about the danger to her life and her sanity

implies that maybe she isn’t all quite there anymore after this. Combination of genius and insanity maybe, so she believes she is an exception.

You guys are just regurgitating the plot at him. You’re not addressing what makes the character stupid. The fact that a single person can do any of this & that their personalty is about as awesome as an annoying teenager with token “i’m my own person you loser!” quips, make the character & the events wholly unbelievable & excruciating. On top of the fact that you give one character direct insight into the universe killing it’s allure & mystery.

I could have the exact same story with a squirrel that talks by farting. It doesn’t make the character better. If it were a Seer that were doing this, it might be slightly believable because they are more established as VERY powerful & also very mysterious. But Even Shiro whole traveled to different dimensions, destroyed a nation , escaped death & the shackles of his station as an Envoy (& all of it in a believable way) doesn’t have a glimpse of this.

This whole thing just screams “give Sylvari approval!”

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Namica.2951

Namica.2951

So from this, we can add some things to Scarlet:

Master Smith
Master Sniper
Evil for the sake of being evil
Responsible for Asuran personal story

When will the sue-ing end? She was already a genius of stupidly large renown, and pretty much a female Traeherne. She is one of, if not thee biggest sue I’ve ever seen in an MMO.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

So she touched an asura claptrap and went from a standard obnoxious sylvari to a Villian Sue rebellious special snow flake sylvari. Cool story bro.

If you were just going to regurgitate this nonsense on the website why couldn’t you do so using the actual game, than your playerbase might care.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

I wonder what other Elemental/Technological fusions will be made…

We have Molten Alliance(Fire/Machine), Aetherblades(Lightning/Machine) and now Twisted Minions(Poison/Machine). What’s next? Will we one day see Ice?….

in Clockwork Chaos

DarksunG.9537

So from this, we can add some things to Scarlet:

Master Smith
Master Sniper
Evil for the sake of being evil
Responsible for Asuran personal story

When will the sue-ing end? She was already a genius of stupidly large renown, and pretty much a female Traeherne. She is one of, if not thee biggest sue I’ve ever seen in an MMO.

Yeah.. I mean, this game has a serious girl-power slant to its writing, but this just pegged the meter.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: zityz.6089

zityz.6089

After all this time. All this lead up since January and I don’t know. I have a hard time accepting a walking Broccoli as this super villain. I enjoyed the story and all, but if the entire intention of the person is “Saw some crazy stuff now I’m going to destroy things for fun-sies”… Kind of seams a little shallow. I’m really hoping there is a reason for all of this and that there is more to it then just her going mad and doing things because someone told her not to type deal.

Sylvari do not look dangerous to me nor sound dangerous to me at all.

I will say though those clockwork monsters look AMAZING. The art and design team do need a pat on the back for that one.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

WHAT THE H’?!

That’s the problem, her vision is contradictory. There’s no way for her to claim to have seen the “grand design” and failed to see that she’s already part of it. Therefore, it would be impossible for her to be this “new cog” unless she recreates reality and the entire Eternal Alchemy from scratch.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Who is calling the shots, ultimately responsible for this trainwreck?

Not only did they spoil what should’ve been exposition ingame, but they still hadn’t justified why a Sylvari could come out of NOWHERE and graduate THREE Asuran colleges in under a year, earn the respect of all three Charr legions to be trained by them, Norn, and Hylek.

And SOMEHOW, even though she’s an insane, maniacal psychopath, she’s able to command the FLAME LEGION who hate women? And she’s able to earn the respect of INQUEST? Furthermore, the AETHERBLADE who are a technologically advanced union between all 5 races?

And you’re telling me Scarlet has no motivation whatsoever other than being evil for the sake of being evil?

This is a complete and utter mess. I’m sorry but EVERYTHING about her character contradicts the lore!

I hadn’t seen a character introduced this badly since Ashton Kutcher in Two and a Half Men.

(edited by Kain Francois.4328)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz… to the plot.

Thumbs up to Scott on the writing. The writing is actually good.

There is a difference between good writing and good plot though. Hope Anet can do better in 2014.

in Clockwork Chaos

Elbegast.6970

I think you guys are reading wayyyy too much into this. Scarlet is one-dimensional. She is a reflection of the writer who bore her ‘life’. Her entire story was conceived during the course of a single lunch break, over a slice of half-eaten pepperoni pizza and a watered-down grape soda. If the character’s writer doesn’t even care about Scarlet Briar, why should you?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I gotta give Scott kudos as well. We understand how hard it was to salvage this trainwreck, so for what he did was pretty decent.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: inazuma.7021

inazuma.7021

Master Smith
Master Sniper

I dunno if “master” is appropriate. Scarlet has the attention span of a gnat. She only stuck around long enough to pick up the tricks she wanted, then decided she knew enough and left.

Vhaewyn – Level 80 Sylvari Ranger
Dakka Warforge- Level 80 Charr Engineer
Xairro – Level 80 Asura Revenant

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Kovac.4372

Kovac.4372

I hadn’t seen a character introduced this badly since Ashton Kutcher in Two and a Half Men.

Hahahaha made my evening xD

Well I mean …. I’m pretty sure some if not all devs are watching that pony cartoon … I mean the legendary shortbow is a my little pony weapon -.- … how would you possibly expect the story to be good if the people writing it enjoy watching such cartoons.

in Clockwork Chaos

DarksunG.9537

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz… to the plot.

There is a difference between good writing and good plot though. Hope Anet can do better in 2014.

I’m gonna agree. The character is the goddess of all annoying Sues, but the story was well written!

in Clockwork Chaos

Lucky.9421

Also:

Chaotic evil villains can have a place in the narrative of a universe(sometimes they are fun) but as side stories. Not as the main story of the IP for a long period. That’s senseless and boring.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Unleashed.6195

Unleashed.6195

These short stories are always great to read, and are a huge slap in the face for all the people who claim the writing around this game is poor.

Those that eat only water and oats are rarely suitable critics of other dishes.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: shauncoates.6874

shauncoates.6874

That’s the problem, her vision is contradictory. There’s no way for her to claim to have seen the “grand design” and failed to see that she’s already part of it. Therefore, it would be impossible for her to be this “new cog” unless she recreates reality and the entire Eternal Alchemy from scratch.

She never said was not a part of it, she simple did not believe that she had to play the role that she was told to play. So nothing contradictory about it.

“But I see the flaws in that design. My people don’t have to take what we’re given, or be what we were “born to be.” No people do. We can change the rules…well, I can. And I’m going to.”

Arkeey ~ Engineer

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

Also:

Chaotic evil villains can have a place in the narrative of a universe(sometimes they are fun) but as side stories. Not as the main story of the IP for a long period. That’s senseless and boring.

O’ really?
I’ll just leave this here then, with the comment that this particular Big Bad either was directly responsible or the motivating force for many of the best selling titles that came out of this particular IP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orcus_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29

in Clockwork Chaos

Unleashed.6195

“The most promising student he had ever instructed, conducting most important experiment of his long and storied career, and all he could do was stand idle and fret.”

Should be:

“The most promising student he had ever instructed, conducting the most important experiment of his long and storied career, and all he could do was stand idle and fret.”

in Clockwork Chaos

Lucky.9421

O’ really?

I’m not a D&D player so I don’t know enough to comment. :p

Scarlet seems more comparable to a Saturday morning superhero cartoon villain. Coming back every week for some senseless, random shenanigans. Just because.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

I was really hoping Scarlet wasn’t a villain sue but…

You know, if not for all the “mastery” and the Asura colleges stuff (that is really pushing it), she could be believable – a sylvari born with a desire to create and understand but with a stubborn streak who delved too far and came out of it seriously messed up but with a desire to do things her way.

But of course then she wouldn’t have the power to run all these insane zergs and fifty million minions – she’d be a force in the background or maybe the ringleader of a single small group. I’m wondering if she was purposely scaled up to be a “world threat” and a “big Bad”.

Either way… it’s a villain sue.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Cyan.6904

Cyan.6904

These short stories are always great to read, and are a huge slap in the face for all the people who claim the writing around this game is poor.

Cliche and lacks an valid argument, do better next time.

Cyan Graceland — Elementalist
The Knights Temple [TKT] — Aurora Glade

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: ShroomOneUp.6913

ShroomOneUp.6913

worst thing is wooden potato likes her……..and he is as far as i know the only gw video maker who is doin the betters lore videos.
also threhern is NOT that sue, he had like 25 years to study orr and its undead armies and when we meet him he had still no clue how to to beat them. also he is presumably the oldest so he travel several times to orr probably meeting whispers priory and later vigal alike in those 25 years. treherns backround is basic and layout enough to make him the character he is in the game. scarlet is just….born and imiidatly start beeing OP. nope

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

To add a human culture comparison, it would be like if they suddenly added a character who was the king of DR, and had always been the king. While the new NPCs introduce him as if he’s always been there and everyone but you knows about it, while all the old NPCs still say absolutely nothing about him ever. That’s how big a deal this is, and how absurdly shoehorned into the story it is.

You must mean “King of Ebonhawke”, because it’s been abundantly clear Divinity’s Reach is ruled by Queen Jennah but she has no heir named right now.

It’s also not an apt comparison, because you can do so much better with the human storyline. Not just the rightful heir to the kingdom of Ascalon (presumptive on whether Ebonhawke gets decided to be separate but allied, or a fiefdom of Kryta) but a high priest of the Six, having been a Minister of Kryta, AND claimed to have trained in Surmia before the Searing.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Clockwork Chaos

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Not sure whether your argument is whether the writing is good outside the game but needs more love IN the game . . . or that it’s still poor.

Either way, it does annoy me because we could find ways of incorporating even a LITTLE of these stories into narrative with enough time devoted to it. If it takes expanding the 2 week cycle or reworking how the Living Story teams work together . . . can we PLEASE get some incorporation?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Clockwork Chaos

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Also:

O’ really?
I’ll just leave this here then, with the comment that this particular Big Bad either was directly responsible or the motivating force for many of the best selling titles that came out of this particular IP.

. . . sorry, Orcus is responsible for Drizzt Do’Urden and Lolth? Elminster? Takhesis? Lord Soth? Strahd von Zarovich? What about Bhaalspawn, the Nameless, Vecna . . . Bane?

D&D’s fiction is a lot bigger than Orcus.

But in there is another “chaotic evil” who is FAR more influential in a way: Lolth. Or Lloth. Or however you want to spell it today. It’s just that she obeys less long-term plans and works with whatever’s available that day.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: DeusVolt.3298

DeusVolt.3298

Also:

O’ really?

. . . sorry, Orcus is responsible for Drizzt Do’Urden and Lolth? Elminster? Takhesis? Lord Soth? Strahd von Zarovich? What about Bhaalspawn, the Nameless, Vecna . . . Bane?

But in there is another “chaotic evil” who is FAR more influential in a way: Lolth. Or Lloth. Or however you want to spell it today. It’s just that she obeys less long-term plans and works with whatever’s available that day.

“many”

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Why is it that a villain like Kefka can get away with being one-dimensional and still be appreciated, but Scarlet, guilty of far less, cannot?

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Clockwork Chaos

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Also:

O’ really?

“many”

Yes, but practically all those I listed are bestsellers (or close thereof) within one of the larger ranges of D&D fiction history. Certainly the bulk of it, from what I can find, is connected to those listed above BEFORE we get to Orcus.

It may be “many” but it’s not “the majority”. Right now Drizzt Do’Urden and Lolth/Lloth have a higher number than Orcus.

in Clockwork Chaos

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Why is it that a villain like Kefka can get away with being one-dimensional and still be appreciated, but Scarlet, guilty of far less, cannot?

We doing Final Fantasy?

Kefka had a bigger buildup to being an insane god-mode villain, as in 66% of the story of the game he was in. Sephiroth is the same, actually, as most of his development came AFTER the story where we were introduced to him.

Golbez is another example one could use as “comes in out of nowhere and wrecks things” but he at least was classy and not crazy.

One-dimensional and crazy . . . Seymour Guado, can you please stand up? Thank you.

in Clockwork Chaos

Elbegast.6970

It’s because ArenaNet put an entire year’s worth of content on Scarlet Briar’s shoulders. Unfortunately, her character is so thin as to buckle beneath the weight.

in Clockwork Chaos

Tobias Trueflight.8350

It’s because ArenaNet put an entire year’s worth of content on Scarlet Briar’s shoulders. Unfortunately, her character is so thin as to buckle beneath the weight.

Broke like a twig, I think you mean. Go for the pun, it’ll last longer

(She definitely could have used more buildup but I think they were anxious due to everyone crying out for something in the LS and decided to either jump the gun or hope it would work.)

in Clockwork Chaos

ShroomOneUp.6913

because kefka despite lacking a tragidy backround STILL MAKES SENSE IS NOT MARY SUE. he works in his universe he is crafted from the very beginning of the story scarlet was thrown in into a world were she should have been recognized much earlier but we never heard anythign of her in term of her achivments. and now we should just except it.

in Clockwork Chaos

Tobias Trueflight.8350

because kefka despite lacking a tragidy backround STILL MAKES SENSE IS NOT MARY SUE. he works in his universe he is crafted from the very beginning of the story scarlet was thrown in into a world were she should have been recognized much earlier but we never heard anythign of her in term of her achivments. and now we should just except it.

Kefka is so much a mary sue it hurts. The only thing that makes him not one is that we get to beat him into the ground after he becomes a god.

in Clockwork Chaos

ShroomOneUp.6913

Kefka is so much a mary sue it hurts. The only thing that makes him not one is that we get to beat him into the ground after he becomes a god.

you must have been smoking scarlet lately if you think your view is in any way true.

in Clockwork Chaos

Tobias Trueflight.8350

you must have been smoking scarlet lately if you think your view is in any way true.

Kefka doesn’t have a tragic backstory, and he is not a tragic villain. He is a crazy person who was given increasing amounts of power and it went to his head. He is not stupid but he is immensely short-sighted . . . a lot of his doings are just him playing with the power he has or trying to get more.

He never loses anything of value through the story, he is never beaten until at the end. His schemes are rarely thwarted in any way which has meaning to the story, and when you “beat” him he runs away (until the end).

I will grant you that Scarlet is fixed into this pretty sloppily, and while it can be fixed? Nobody who’s already been through this update is going to stop bringing it up no matter HOW they smooth her in.

Personally, if I was ANet’s writers I’d stop trying altogether since people keep lobbing cannonballs at the story no matter what they do. Maybe start pitching things to Cartoon Network.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

.. Woah woah WOAH.

Kefka is one dimensional?

No, I think you meant to say “Sephiroth”.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

in Clockwork Chaos

Unleashed.6195

At least one of those words is being misused.

Here’s a more clearcut way of stating it: People that have taken little time to enjoy quality literature make poor critics, one way or another, of other literature. They have no basis by which to judge what they’re reading. They may as well judge wines after drinking nothing but a lifetime of domestic beer.

in Clockwork Chaos

Unleashed.6195

Personally, if I was ANet’s writers I’d stop trying altogether since people keep lobbing cannonballs at the story no matter what they do.

That’s not fair. We don’t know the root issue at work here. What I’ve decided to go with is that they’re intentionally presenting a less mature story and have not yet found how to do that without also lowering the quality of the writing. They’ve decided that their current tone better fits into the mood of a game where you have 8-bit dungeons and stuffed animal backpacks and jumping puzzles. If you had the story of Westeros or The Road but suddenly someone whips out a mace that is a disco ball with trumpets on the side or a bow that shoots rainbows…

If it’s not intentional, we still don’t know the root cause. Perhaps there is someone without a writing background making decisions that force the hands of the writers. It takes several steps to move all the way down to the writers themselves doing their best but not getting any slack, so they should just “give up”.

No matter what, there are two things that absolutely will not help them. One is their giving up, the other is not hearing any constructive criticism. It is hard to hear, when you’re trying so very hard to do a good job, that you’re not. But, if everyone lacks the courage to tell you that you’re not doing a good job you’re unlikely to ever reach your full potential.

in Clockwork Chaos

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Personally, if I was ANet’s writers I’d stop trying altogether since people keep lobbing cannonballs at the story no matter what they do.

That’s not fair. We don’t know the root issue at work here. What I’ve decided to go with is that they’re intentionally presenting a less mature story and have not yet found how to do that without also lowering the quality of the writing. They’ve decided that their current tone better fits into the mood of a game where you have 8-bit dungeons and stuffed animal backpacks and jumping puzzles. If you had the story of Westeros or The Road but suddenly someone whips out a mace that is a disco ball with trumpets on the side or a bow that shoots rainbows…

If it’s not intentional, we still don’t know the root cause. Perhaps there is someone without a writing background making decisions that force the hands of the writers. It takes several steps to move all the way down to the writers themselves doing their best but not getting any slack, so they should just “give up”.

No matter what, there are two things that absolutely will not help them. One is their giving up, the other is not hearing any constructive criticism. It is hard to hear, when you’re trying so very hard to do a good job, that you’re not. But, if everyone lacks the courage to tell you that you’re not doing a good job you’re unlikely to ever reach your full potential.

I should reiterate: “If it was me”. But then I’m not getting paid to come up with this stuff to entertain tens of thousands of players.

I continue to present this opinion though: ArenaNet has always been really weirdly divided in the case of story. Sometimes they have this really serious thing that works well and thematically is a great experience (“Saul’s Story” from the GW1 Bonus Mission Pack comes right to mind). Sometimes you get “Drakes on the Plain”, candy cane weapon skins, and the old Wintersday.

The problem is not that they’re horrible writers, it’s either that people want to hold them to a high standard (they are not Stephen King, George R.R. Martin, or Neil Gaiman, nor will they be; I’d like to think they’re more Richard Castle) . . . or the writing takes a backseat to the game.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: RyanThomas.4182

RyanThomas.4182

Why didn’t they give us this backstory before introducing the character Scarlet? After all, Mai Trin mentioned Scarlett, so putting this right before the Queen’s Jubilee or the day after Queen’s Jubilee went live would give a bit of context so that Scarlet didn’t seem like some sloppily created cliche villian Anet pulled out of nowhere.

Please, Anet, if you care about lore, try to connect things as you write them, and not tie them together sloppily as an afterthought.

Also, nothing in the story mentioned how Scarlet’s connected to the Molten Alliance.

Blackgate – Love and War [LAW]
5 Ele meta let’s go

in Clockwork Chaos

Unleashed.6195

The problem is not that they’re horrible writers, it’s either that people want to hold them to a high standard (they are not Stephen King, George R.R. Martin, or Neil Gaiman, nor will they be; I’d like to think they’re more Richard Castle) . . . or the writing takes a backseat to the game.

I wouldn’t assume they’re horrible writers either, especially in the context of the game they’re producing. It feels intentional, not accidental. However, we should require higher standards from the writing in games. We demand the very high standards in artwork, animation, gameplay design and infrastructure management. Writing should not continue to get a free pass because it’s a game.