A petition for Tybalt (Spoilers)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Moonrabbit.1543

Moonrabbit.1543

So I watched sadly as Tybalt closed the door and walked off into eternity last night. After reflecting on the situation this morning, I realized that he was never seen to die and that his body was never recovered. All the subsequent talk about his death was founded on supposition.* In comics and RP games, this sort of plot device is often used to set up a character’s suprise return at a later date. Accordingly, I say we start a petition to bring back Tybalt as soon as possible. If you agree with me, then please let your voice be heard. Tybalt rocked, and I am not looking forward to being forced to group with the Dungeon Master’s pet for the next 20-30 levels.

• Note: I am aware that one can sneak back into the pavillion and revive a seemingly deceased Tybalt. However, I do not believe the game developers conceived of this possibility when they created the Claw Island event. The way the event is constructed, the hero was never to see Tybalt again after the door closes. From the hero’s perspective, it makes no difference if the image of Tybalt falls in battle, keeps fighting, or simply vanishes.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Dinny.5310

Dinny.5310

As much as I adore Tybalt (and Sieran, in fact, I love Sieran more than Tybalt): no.

I’ve never been a fan of “bringing back” characters who are dead. It cheapens the tragedy terribly. The thing is, writing-wise, the orders arcs are arguably one of the things that GW2 got very right.

In the case of Tybalt himself (ignoring the other mentors momentarily), the more you look at it, the more bittersweet the tragedy is. After everything he’s been through with you, he decides to give his life for you. It’s not much, and it’s not particularly glorious, but it’s a few moments just so you can escape. And then you consider his underlying sadness: in many ways, he was a broken man. When he lost his hand, his warband, the people he likely considered his comrades and even family (if Charr society is anything to go by), suddenly decided he was useless and turned their backs on him.

My point is: Do you really want to diminish the value of one of the most poignant moments in the game? Because honestly, that’s all this would achieve.

Dinny [Asura/Guardian] – Annachponae [Asura/Thief]

in Personal Story

Posted by: Moonrabbit.1543

Moonrabbit.1543

Yes, as a matter of fact I do. Tybalt was a lot of fun, whereas Trahearne is a bore. Trahearne is a pointless plot device that serves only to draw attention away from the hero. To add insult to injury, he is utterly useless in fights even when wielding “Calgon, take me away”.

This is a game. I die frequently and keep coming back. I see no reason for Tybalt’s death to be any different. His return would make my gaming experience much more enjoyable. However, this is my own opinion, and I appreciate and respect your point of view.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Dinny.5310

Dinny.5310

Hmm… Fair enough. I suppose at the end of the day, I just doubt it’d happen because it would require a big departure from how the story has been planned out/written so far.

Oh I’d like to try out that story. I was actually thinking of starting a charr in the lightbringer tradition. Kind of inspired by Tybalt. So Sieran is a mentor for Tybalt?

Oh, no, who your mentor is for 20 – 40(50?) depends on the order you choose.

Tybalt is your character’s mentor for the Order of Whispers.

Sieran is your character’s mentor for the Durmand Priory.

Forgal is your character’s mentor for the Vigil.

Dinny [Asura/Guardian] – Annachponae [Asura/Thief]

in Personal Story

Posted by: the moidart.3612

the moidart.3612

Forget resurrection, bring back the scriptwriter for that part of the storyline, at least. Tybalt and Sieran were the best npcs in the game, and most of the other characters in the storyline didn’t live up to them. Except for that Asuran guy. Or the other one. Both of whom also die.

Why do certain well known failures of scripting and voiceacting survive, while the good ones all die?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

I’ll sign the petition for Tybalt if I can have Forgal back also. I miss my mentor too.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I would have liked my mentor to be risen as the undead on my return to Claw Island or later in Orr. This would put a face to the horde of undead we face, and this would give an ounce of tragedy in the story.

in Personal Story

Posted by: the moidart.3612

the moidart.3612

I would have liked my mentor to be risen as the undead on my return to Claw Island or later in Orr. This would put a face to the horde of undead we face, and this would give an ounce of tragedy in the story.

It’s what I expected and looked forward to too. But according to cannon, sylvari can’t be Risen, being plants instead of mammals.

Except there’s all those corrupted plants I was flamethrowering in a heart in Sparkfly today. So there’s hope yet!

So come on Anet, give us an epic personal story quest line to face our Risen mentor!

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

How would you feel if Tybalt, Seiran, and a handful of other Clawrl Island survivors washed up on Southsun Cove (risen or not, alive or not)? That’d be a twist of M Night Shyamalanian proportions.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

Forget resurrection, bring back the scriptwriter for that part of the storyline, at least. Tybalt and Sieran were the best npcs in the game, and most of the other characters in the storyline didn’t live up to them. Except for that Asuran guy. Or the other one. Both of whom also die.

Why do certain well known failures of scripting and voiceacting survive, while the good ones all die?

If you’re talking about Agent Zott, he went from “that guy I really don’t care about, why am I saving him from dwarf ruins” (and even forgot that he existed) to being one of my favorite characters in the entire game.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

in Personal Story

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

Seiran and Tybalt surviving on the same boat or something after escaping from the island would be really interesting.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Allegra.4910

Allegra.4910

At least let us bury Tybalt with some apples or something. He was very, very entertaining, and – quite frankly, – one of the most fully realized NPCs in the game, character-wise.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Griffin.8906

Griffin.8906

I just did this part of the story on my engineer.

I was not prepared to stand idly by while Tybalt sacrificed himself, so I did what any self respecting Lightbringer would do in my position.
I found a path over the terrain that let me hop back down into the courtyard next to Tybalt. He was just standing there watching hundreds of risen lay into the lionguard. Perhaps he was in shock… I wouldn’t blame him.

I slaughtered all of the remaining risen so he would no longer need to stand and defend us while we made our escape.

I think the game programming was a little buggy. He wouldn’t follow me, and I know he wouldn’t sacrifice himself when there was no more need to. but as far as I am concerned he made it back to Lions Arch, safe and sound.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Lysis.7849

Lysis.7849

I’m with Dinny.5310. As much as I love Tybalt, I’m quite content with having him live in my memory and just treasuring the moments we’ve shared together. Death is a natural part of life, and though I too was devastated with losing what I consider one of the best well-rounded characters in the game, I’ve moved on. I also would like to think that it gave my human elementalist character, having gone through the pain of losing a friend (and a Charr friend too to boot) through Zhaitan. It makes the fight with the undead dragon, to me, much more personal and satisfying. Tybalt’s sacrifice adds depth to the game; it can’t all be sunshine, and rainbows with fluffy pink clouds. I only wish that there was a grave to commemorate Tybalt with that I could visit and lay down on his final resting place, a bottle of apple cider that I had owed him. To me, Tybalt died a hero. Let’s not diminish its worth.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I would like to confront Risen Tybalt, actually. Since we’re able to uncorrupt the Risen (Arah p3 spoilers) it would be very interesting to see a Zombie-Tybalt wandering about, even if just in my home instance.

However, what would they do about Sieran if Tybalt got special treatment?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Psychomaniack.1953

Psychomaniack.1953

Man, that part of the quest was, for me, the best and the worse in a MMO game.

I love Tybalt, in fact, I would only do Order of Whispers with all my characters just for playing with Tybalt again. (But I wont, I’ll do the other 2 orders to see how it is).

I was really surprise when I heard Tybalt saying he was going ALONE and to let him go. That was a hard moment in the game, not being able to help a friend out.

Poor Tybalt. I had alot of fun killing stuff with you. May you rest in peace.

I hope that from where you are, you have alot of “big apples” with you!

PS: Bring him back in any form. Would be really interesting to receive messages from Tybalt’s ghost or something…

in Personal Story

Posted by: Rie.6789

Rie.6789

At least name a new strain of apples after him.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Rustypipes.6238

Rustypipes.6238

He very quickly became my favorite NPC in the game after the quest to infiltrate the pirate camp. His randomly tossed out pirate slang in the dialog was genius.

RIP ol’ buddy, we could have conquered the world together.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Voonith.2561

Voonith.2561

I don’t mean to sound like I’m trolling here, this is a genuine question:
How were so many of you moved by the loss of your mentor?

I do agree they are all better than Trehearne’s arc, but I find all the dialogue so generic and all the character development so rushed and flat that I find it extremely difficult to care for any of these one-dimensional characters.

Not critiquing any of you, I’m curious because I want to understand; because I wish I could be moved by this game the way you are.

All’s fair in love and Wuv.
[ART] Gate of Madness

(edited by Voonith.2561)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Rie.6789

Rie.6789

Tybalt was just really well done and he grew on you.

I played the original Guild Wars for 3 years, I still have quite a lingering hatred for Charr in general. Just from that. But Tybalt made me genuinely like the guy.

in Personal Story

Posted by: enlil.3849

enlil.3849

I do agree they are all better than Trehearne’s arc, but I find all the dialogue so generic and all the character development so rushed and flat that I find it extremely difficult to care for any of these one-dimensional characters.

Not critiquing any of you, I’m curious because I want to understand; because I wish I could be moved by this game the way you are.

I was sort of not so much ‘moved’ as I was disappointed, and I think I was more mourning for what the storyline would become following your respective mentor’s death… (I think I was right to mourn for that)

I think I figured Tybalt/Sieran/Forgal was going to die; my friend pointed out way back during those misty-eyed headstart/release days that when he visited the Chantry of Secrets, Tybalt wasn’t an NPC there. I realized that everybody important either magically vanishes from your storyline, never to return or vanishes in a slightly more permanent way. I knew it was coming!

But what I think why many players are moved is because of the personality quirks and verbal tics (more for Sieran and Tybalt than Forgal, probably) of your mentors… their voice acting, at least to me, was a vast improvement over everybody else you encountered. You became a bit more intimate (no not that way jeez) with your mentor than any other character in your personal story.

Just my silly input!

in Personal Story

Posted by: hellsop.4219

hellsop.4219

I do agree they are all better than Trehearne’s arc, but I find all the dialogue so generic and all the character development so rushed and flat that I find it extremely difficult to care for any of these one-dimensional characters

I don’t find Tybalt one-dimensional at all. Getting the bits of his back-story out, about the loss of his hand and the impact it had on his career with the Charr and then the Order gave him a pretty solid and empathetic story.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

Actually there is ingame lore about Tybalt being dead, or at least they wanted to make us think that. The Champion Eye of Zhaitan (second last storyline) mentions him being in the risen ranks now.

Because of the emotional attachment you have with Tybalt, the second last quest rly is filled with a lot of emotional pain (at least fictive). Bringing him back alive would ruin this little great written part … (Not fond of the rest of the story though, but this little part was rly good)

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

in Personal Story

Posted by: Detharos.3157

Detharos.3157

I think I share the sentiment of the earlier poster who mentioned having turned out to have survived all along would cheapen the feelings of tragedy generated by the loss of Tybalt.. to a degree anyways. At the same time, I wouldn’t mind at all if this did turn out to be the case . Tybalt was just that loveable as a character and companion in the order of Whispers.

I’d like to take the time to say though that my greatest stress with Tybalt’s death is that it felt more like a write-off than a genuine sacrifice. That is to say rather than making the sacrifice of his life in order to save the others it felt like the sole purpose of the tragedy was to allow for Trahearne to steal his place. And I’ll get this out there also, I am probably one of those who somewhere deep down despise Trahearne. I do so because it feels like his existence is why Tybalt died. Perhaps that’s just playing the blame game, but Tybalt was so built-up as a character and your right-hand go-to guy.. he was my character’s partner. (Nohomo lol.) I’m probably repeating myself here but I just can’t shake the feeling that Tybalt simply had to die to allow Trahearne to take his place as the partner of the player character. Tybalt, who was so-built up and backed-up.. the loyal and trustworthy companion so full of character who I’m sure most will admit they came to adore. Offed on a whim for the sake of introducing the bland, showy glory-stealing Trahearne. That feeling that seems to develop is why Trahearne has become a kind of offensive existence as a character for me.

I may not be fair in this, but if you are still reading and of like-mind allow me to further my case with this “unfair trade” of characters. Outside maybe one-three brief lines Tybalt is practically never mentioned again after this point. The character doesn’t have a moment to go into solitude and reflect on the loss or mourn in any sense, Trahearne really gives the feel that Tybalt by a certain point in the story quests simply never existed. There is no minor, let alone grandiose monument or dedication to Tybalt and his sacrifice in any sense. It just feels like Tybalt was simply not done any justice afterward. At least with that cool bomber-man Asura who’s name evades me at the moment, you get to see some aftermath when he dies when his wife has a real hard time with it. But do you ever get to meet Tybalt’s father or mother, or anyone of any relation to him to depart some words like: “Tybalt thought he was coward, but he was true warrior in heart. He died a hero’s death, fighting off countless enemies to buy time for us, and he succeeded gloriously.” to pay some form of homage to him? No. Tybalt’s existence was simply erased. And that’s what sucks.

So to that end, I say sure I wouldn’t mind one bit if Tybalt came back, assuming the alternative was his continuing to be in a state of written-off non-existence. Or in the very least as an alternative assuming new story-tied content ever came.. some kind of tribute or homage, or later resulting event to spring to life in the story as a result of Tybalt’s sacrifice would be nice. As of now, getting Trahearne in place of Tybalt feels like waking up in the morning and finding out that somebody stole your PS3 but replaced it with a WII. It’s not right!

Until then, R.I.P. Tybalt.

Dathaul, 80 Melee Ranger
Ferguson’s Crossing server.

(edited by Detharos.3157)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Alxias.6738

Alxias.6738

I am way behind on this bandwagon but tbh I’d be all for signing that’s petition. I went back and revived him as well. Miss my Tibby <3 :c

This is the first time GW has EVER made me cry.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

As much as i’d love Sieran to come back, no. It’s a bad idea. Atleast in the PS their death had meaning. If they suddenly show up, it kinda loses any beauty the moment had. The PS doesnt have a lot going for it, at least let it keep what it has.

Were you in the vigil by chance? Forgal doesn’t really have that staying power.

Anyway maybe anet could give us something that could let us replay our story missions, maybe all the story missions we have unlocked on the account, so the claw island priory, whispers, and vigil equivalent.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

I actually really liked Forgal. My only beef with him is that sometimes whatever thing Paul Eiding was doing with his voice… he wasn’t doing on some lines. And it was particularly noticable if the two lines were back to back.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Frosch.7809

Frosch.7809

Actually you can avenge your mentor in a quest in Bloodtide Coast, by killing a Risen commander. And although in case of Tybalt the line spoken by that commander implies it isn’t him, it is always a Charr, and one that pretty much reminds me of Tybalt.

http://i42.tinypic.com/np2mo5.jpg

[Yak’s Bend]

in Personal Story

Kain Francois.4328

They could always bring back Risen Tybalt, since we found a way to restore their free will in Arah p3.

It would actually be quite cool to have a zombie sidekick, and could be a vital plot device for crossing the Desolation in the eventual Elona expansion.

in Personal Story

Rainbow Sprint.3215

They could always bring back Risen Tybalt, since we found a way to restore their free will in Arah p3.

It would actually be quite cool to have a zombie sidekick, and could be a vital plot device for crossing the Desolation in the eventual Elona expansion.

And you leave out the people that were in the priory. Sylvari cant become risen, so Sieran is just gone. We get no zombie sidekick.

in Personal Story

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Tybalt should come back as a risen so we can kill him all over again.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

in Personal Story

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Tybalt kept the personal story fun. His death felt extremely forced and out-of-character. It was a typical case of a character staying behind for no other reason than just to get killed, and that’s lazy writing. And then they pull the same stunt with other characters in the other personal stories, and even have Logan perform the same stunt near the end. But Logan, of all people, has to make a miraculous totally predictable return at the end. For the love of Grenth, Logan should have been killed off.

Yes, bring Tybalt back. He was one of the few characters during the personal story that I didn’t hate.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Personal Story

Kain Francois.4328

And you leave out the people that were in the priory. Sylvari cant become risen, so Sieran is just gone. We get no zombie sidekick.

Sieran could’ve been captured as an informant or something. Since she was also “under Zhaitan’s wing”, it could imply she was hidden somewhere as their prisoner.

Forgal probably can’t be resurrected, but he could be visitted inside the mists. Perhaps an epic quest to find him inside the Hall of Heroes could be one story arc. Just because he’s dead doesn’t mean he is gone permanently. He could fulfill a role similar to Obi-wan.

I could definitely see them bringing them back if they’re creative.

(edited by Kain Francois.4328)

in Personal Story

Rainbow Sprint.3215

Sieran could’ve been captured as an informant or something. Since she was also “under Zhaitan’s wing”, it could imply she was hidden somewhere as their prisoner.

Forgal probably can’t be resurrected, but he could be visitted inside the mists. Perhaps an epic quest to find him inside the Hall of Heroes could be one story arc. Just because he’s dead doesn’t mean he is gone permanently. He could fulfill a role similar to Obi-wan.

I could definitely see them bringing them back if they’re creative.

We’ve seen before than when Zhaitan makes a risen out of someone that he doesn’t capture their spirit. There are ghosts in maps that will tell you that if you talk to them. I believe they say something to the effect that they cant pass on because their body is risen.

So really that zombie companion thing couldn’t work anyway, tybalt is gone unless his ghost is out there somewhere.

It still alienates the priory players if that happens though. You find the ghosts of your old mentor in a future story mission, then you go do the story mission with your priory buddy and he’s just alone while you get to see your old friend again.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Tybalt yes, i mean he is in the order of whispers so he could have done something flashy and escaped.

Sieran is also a yes, she has that lightning teleport spell so she could have teleported away and lived.

forgal could even come back, hes so awesome that he single handedly killed all the risen. and then swam to lions arch.

i mean they never show the dead bodies, never find the dead bodies, and never even bother trying to search for the dead bodies….so frankly maybe none of them died and all of them are in hiding somewhere.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Assassin X.8573

Assassin X.8573

we never actually see tybalt die. SS or it didn’t happen!

for all we know he could have been engineering some kind of device that gave him immunity to the dragons breath for enough time to escape.

Darkhaven Gold Tiger Assassin X [JPGN][Sold][VII]
Videos on Youtube