[BUG] The Stone Sheath

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Skolops.2604

Skolops.2604

I consider this a bug, but after spending time on these forums I notice a lot of posts pertaining to personal story bugs getting attention in this subforum and so I’ll put it here for now.

The Norn story quest The Stone Sheath is buggy as heck. You have to obtain an item underwater, which acts like an environmental weapon that you pick up (a rock, a keg, etc.) and replaces your weapon skills. You then need to take it outside of the water to a drop off point. However, anytime you leave the water you lose the weapon altogether when your terrestrial weapon skills pop back up.

The only way to successfully complete it seems to be to very carefully inch forward towards land while underwater and manually drop the weapon at a point where you can get out of the water and pick it up again. It took me several tries because I was concerned I would go too far and lose it for the 4th time.

Then after successfully getting it out, the NPC doesn’t seem to recognize you’re at the correct location. I ran around the drop off location for some time before the NPC finally registered that I had reached the correct spot and allowed me to continue.

I did try to report this via the in-game bug feature, but there is no Sub-Area which remotely fits the type of bug it is so I wasn’t sure how to even do that.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

We haven’t been able to reproduce this bug, and we’ve tried with several different systems/accounts, so we don’t have a solution yet.

There is a known issue with the thief’s “Steal” ability not interacting very well with story bundles.

UPDATE: A possible fix is in, it’ll be a couple of hours to run it through testing, then I’ll post an update. It’s a bug that doesn’t show up on the test builds we use when building content, so I can’t confirm it myself. If it looks good, it’ll be in the 10/1 update.

(edited by Jeffrey Vaughn.1793)

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Skolops.2604

Skolops.2604

If it’s helpful information, I was playing an Engineer, not a thief.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Gustoff.3985

Gustoff.3985

Same I’m an engineer. Could you just make the Sword an inventory item. Surely that would fix the problem. It would sadly get rid of the skills but it would allow us to complete the quest.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

Yes, it appears fixed. Will be in the 10/1 update. (Tested with an engineer to make sure there wasn’t something class specific going on.)

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Gustoff.3985

Gustoff.3985

Thank you!

/15 Charr

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Vizier.3164

Vizier.3164

I am having this “losing items” bug also with my asuran mesmer. Ofcourse not in your personal story, but anywhere in the map

I was working on world completion, and some quests require you to pick up stuff and it would just randomly drop all the time.
1 quests that sticks out in this was the one in Timberline falls “Help the Priory’s excavation (57)”
Because in the server isle of janthir, the golems i needed to help where bugged out, the only thing i could do was put weapons in chests, however 75% of the time i would never make it to a chest, the item just disappeared from my hands.

i7-3770K, XFX HD7970, ASUS SABERTOOTH, G.Skill ARES 16 GB 1600
Vizier: 80 mesm-guard-ele-war
Fort Aspenwood

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Signet of Forums.4397

Signet of Forums.4397

I also had this problem, and it was with an engineer. I also resolved it the same way, by dropping the weapon very close to the water’s edge, and then getting out and picking it up again.

It is not a quest particular to a race, though, unless my character is actually a norn wearing a charr costume ; )

Therefore we proceed to write a sig.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Sage Of The Wise.6514

Sage Of The Wise.6514

Also had this problem and I’m also an Engineer. I’m noticing a pattern.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: SwellFoop.4716

SwellFoop.4716

Same issue. I’m playing an engineer also.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Coloris.8574

Coloris.8574

i had this bug too. i think it’s due to the mission objectives.

there’s one objective named “Escape with the scabbard” and another one named “Pick up the scabbard”. If one gets the former before the later one, it bugs out(for me at least).

The way it worked for me was: pick up relics, even if you already know where the scabbard is, wait for the “Pick scabbard up” objective to pop up, pick it up, escape and done.

oh, and i’m also an engineer ^^

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: shteen.8239

shteen.8239

yup cant get out of the water!! so annoying serioulsy

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: RoughJaco.3148

RoughJaco.3148

@Skolops thank you, thank you, thank you!
I was being driven insane by the sword bug, and your workaround of dropping the sword while swimming but in land pickup area worked first go!
For what it’s worth: Also an engineer, and getting bugs that I simply don’t get on my guardian.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: MisterRogars.2304

MisterRogars.2304

Getting the same bug where the sheath vanishes when I step out of the water. Also playing as engineer.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: raykor.6723

raykor.6723

Engineer here, tried this quest three times and it will not complete. I cannot advance my story.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kreddor.1750

Kreddor.1750

Another engineer here. I have the exact same problem. I cannot finish this quest.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Cutter.4501

Cutter.4501

Yep, Asura engineer here. I’ve run this twice now and the sheath simply vanishes when I leave the water at the exit area where I’m supposed to escape. Quest cannot be finishd as is. Please get this rectified ASAP!!!

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

RoughJaco.3148

Engineer here, tried this quest three times and it will not complete. I cannot advance my story.

You can actually, see workaround posted in this thread.
Get to the edge of the water, intetionally drop sword very close to transition point, step out of water until walking animation kicks in, you should still be in range of the item to pick it up. Pick up, move 10 yards inland, quest completes properly.

It’s a bummer, but it only adds a minute of inching by until you find the correct point where animation switches, and then you can drop and pick up the item around there.
I got it done like that.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Cutter.4501

Cutter.4501

Stone Sheath is still bugged as of the October 1st patch. Sigh.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

I’ve tested this repeatedly with an engineer, swimming into the water, under the water, out of the water, using kits, repeatedly causing it to switch weapon toolbars, and I’ve never seen the scabbard “vanish”.

(edited by Jeffrey Vaughn.1793)

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: WBL.6715

WBL.6715

I’ve had a similar bug/issue doing the a heart in Timberline Falls, “Help the Priory’s excavation of the ruins” where you have to pick up items and bring them to a box. Sometimes the items would just disappear while running or just as I’m about to get to the box. I had swiftness on (from signet of rage) and I assumed it was because I was running over bumps on the ground that gave me some small air-time that caused the item to disappear, but just a guess. I just walked really slow to get it to work.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

What class were you? I’m wondering if there’s some global issue with the engineer losing bundles.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: WBL.6715

WBL.6715

I was a Warrior.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

RoughJaco.3148

For what it’s worth, when I was experiencing the bug and venting in guild, a bunch of people me-tooed, and they were ALL other engineers and two mesmers, so all classes that I would assume have some differences in the weapon swapping routines.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kicaanu.9145

Kicaanu.9145

The quest is still bugged for me too and I’m also an engineer. I eventually completed it when I followed what the OP did.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: freshfish.2195

freshfish.2195

quest still bugged and engineer. the scabbard disappear when I get of the water.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: DarkHelmet.1435

DarkHelmet.1435

I am also experiencing this issue for my personal story as a Sylvari Engineer.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Aicha.2548

Aicha.2548

Have this bug too when stepping out of the water. Human Engineer.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: danieldeming.7204

danieldeming.7204

As Aicha said, I too have this problem as a Human Engineer. Happened to me more than once as I tried doing this story instance a couple weeks ago too. Happened again just now. I got past it by inching closer and closer to the shore, dropping the scabbard, then getting on land and picking it up. Stupid way to have to finish the quest, but worked (though the quest is certainly bugged).

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Offset.2194

Offset.2194

Same with me as soon as I leave the water the scabbard vanishes.
Human engineer

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Anaky.8563

Anaky.8563

Same here.

Human engineer female

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

I’ve asked programming to look at it, since it seems to be isolated to the engineer, so it’s something out of my hands.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Skarsha.6704

Skarsha.6704

ya its still happening just as others describe, im a Sylvari engineer. Going to try Skolops work around now will let ya know if it still works

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Skarsha.6704

Skarsha.6704

tyvm Skolops the work around went fine after a couple of goes

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kiva.9012

Kiva.9012

Charr engineer here, and yeah, still bugged!

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: gzander.9014

gzander.9014

yep. been bugged on my Engi for about 2 weeks now. Tried it last night and still bugged. I’ll try the creeping method tonight.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Midda.2450

Midda.2450

Asura engineer here, definitely still bugged, and very frustrating.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: onelyte.8725

onelyte.8725

still bugged for engineer, cant even find item to pick it up again..restarted instance, same problem. Poof as soon as i get out of the water.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Hallen.7154

Hallen.7154

Also encountered this bug on my Sylvari Guardian. I can find and pick up the bundle but when taking it to the designated area nothing happens. Tried dropping/picking up, talking to whats-her-face, restarting, but nothing worked.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Haji La Croix.4387

Haji La Croix.4387

Hi, I just wanted to mention that I’m a necromancer, and when I did this quest, I had the scabbard in hand, then underwater, I changed into a virulent cloud. Then my scabbard was gone, and what I had in the skillbar were the virulent cloud skills only.

But when I didn’t change into a cloud, I was able to successfully complete the quest with no further issues

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

I got hit by the Steal bug. use stolen skill, scabbard gone
please fix

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: BombJack.7359

BombJack.7359

I am having this same bug with my engineer. It’s not super reassuring when the forum moderator spells it enginner – i’m just saying, there’s an apparently lack of attention to detail here. i’ll give the “drop my quest item before exiting the water” solution. bugs are fun.

Sorry, just a bit frustrated. I shouldn’t make fun of typos or insinuate that it carries over into game quality. i’ll just try to get past this quest and carry on

(edited by BombJack.7359)

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: Melora.7418

Melora.7418

Just completed this on my norn engineer and yes, it was bugged. The scabbard disappeared as soon as I exited the water. After finding the suggestion in this forum post I was able to finish by dropping the scabbard close enough to the edge that I could pick it up once I’d climbed out of the water and onto dry land.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: sorenrye.7238

sorenrye.7238

= Part 1
The bug has not been fixed – 2012-November-11.

I have tested 3 times with an engineer, and lost the scabbard all 3 times.

Here is how you test:

1) Get the scabbard
2) Get into combat (may no be necessary)
3) Swim to surface (while in combat – may not be necessary)
4) Dive again.

==== Part 2
If you reenter the story quest after triggering the bug, you can not get the scabbard again. When you pickup the first dwarf artifact, step 2 completes, but step 3 does not start. You have to restart guild wars. I only tested this once, I see no reason to do it again.

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Posted by: sorenrye.7238

sorenrye.7238

I just tried to complete the story quest again. I restarted guild wars 2 and selected the same character and started the story quest.

I swam towards the area, killed two pirates and got downed. When I got downed, the 2nd step of the story completed, even though I had not collected any artifacts yet. Step 3 did not activate, is not available. The quest is stuck. See the screenshot.

How can this happen?

Edit 1: There is an attachment option, but it doesn’t work. The attchment is nowhere to be seen in the post. You can browse for the attachment, but you can not upload it – there is no upload button – only a browse button. Honestly: What is going on here?

Edit 2: When I edited the letter the 2nd time, the attachment appeard. Lol.

Attachments:

(edited by sorenrye.7238)

[BUG] The Stone Sheath

in Personal Story

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

This is a totally bizarre bug that’s only appearing on the Live servers, so we haven’t been able to debug it. The next content update (in a few days) will have an update the this story step that turns the sheath into a “virtual item” so all you need to do is pick it up and escape, it doesn’t matter if you have it equipped or not.