Charm/Ferocity/Nobility - different only in spelling.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Turial.1293

Turial.1293

Correct me if I am wrong but is there ANY noticeable difference between your dialogue choices here? My human who is charming sounds as devoted as my sylvari noble and the same goes for my “ferocious” charr who sounds more positive than a PR agent. I would have assumed some difference at least, they do not really feel different at all. You could trade the dialogue of each of them and it would still sound the exact same. I will give an example below;

current dialogue option:
NPC: The Risen are coming! Defend yourselves!
Charm: We can take them!
Nobility: We can take them!
Ferocity: We can take them!

my suggestion:
NPC: The Risen are coming! Defend yourselves!
Charm: Relax, they fight as well as they look.
Nobility: Let hope never falter, charge!
Ferocity: Let them come, I need to pound something!

As you can see, although cheesy, the responses are more believable and not interchangeable like the current ones. While they are not word for word the same in game, they all give the same response with no personality.

“Some of my best friends are heterosexual”

in Personal Story

Posted by: Nonsensicles.5486

Nonsensicles.5486

The difference is that on rare occasions you get an inconsequential dialogue option that requires your specific personality type to select. That’s it.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Greyfeld.7104

Greyfeld.7104

The difference is that on rare occasions you get an inconsequential dialogue option that requires your specific personality type to select. That’s it.

Which is sad, because this system was perfect to set up cutscene dialogue branches, if Anet had been of a mind to do so.

in Personal Story

Posted by: RaZaC.1963

RaZaC.1963

Ye i’ve not noticed much of NPC’s talking on the streets about my great deeds etc.

in Personal Story

Turial.1293

Yes, the rare time you need a specific personality to answer something and it does nothing. Could they not make it that passing the speech check ends with additional help or perhaps a different route through the quest? I don’t expect them to change everything but they need to rewrite a lot of dialogue and show a reason for choosing one of the three identical “personalities” that are offered to you, as of right now there is no reason to choose any of them over one of the others.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Killul.9685

Killul.9685

I agree with Turial. Your personality really needs to affect the story more.

in Personal Story

Greyfeld.7104

What would be cool is if your personality was reflected in the cutscene dialogues (different lines for different personalities).

in Personal Story

Posted by: riku.2091

riku.2091

Greyfeld.7104
Killul.9685:
What would be cool is if your personality was reflected in the cutscene dialogues (different lines for different personalities).

Quote button…come back to me!

Yes, and then it will probably bug and play the same lines as normal/play someone else’s lines, and there will be 50 hate threads on how they should just switch it back or cut out VA completely.

Not saying it’s a bad idea, I rather like it, just saying it’ll be hard to impliment.

in Personal Story

Greyfeld.7104

I don’t think it’ll ever happen, but if we limited our suggestions by what we think the devs would/could do, there wouldn’t be a whole lot to talk about.

I’ll leave it to Anet to decide which options are and are not viable.

in Personal Story

Posted by: BobbyStein

BobbyStein

Guild Wars 2 Narrative Lead

Which is sad, because this system was perfect to set up cutscene dialogue branches, if Anet had been of a mind to do so.

We discussed this earlier in development, but ultimately didn’t have the time or resources to execute on it. It would have required programming resources to allow the CCs to branch, tools support to enable content creation, and a coordinate effort between content design and writing to implement on a meaningful scale. Too many other features took priority.

Perhaps this is something we can consider going forward, as many people want it (including some of us). No promises, though.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Actually, there is one instance where the dialogue choice affect cinematic… in the first whisperer’s mission for asura, before joining the order, I think, the dialogue option chose (ferocity/charm/dignity) does affect the conversation cinematic that follows.

Not much of a branch and so far the only instance where a voice acted cinematic was seemingly affected by my conversation choice (that wasn’t a major story branch marked by those triangles).

in Personal Story

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

the current voicing seems to be based on a nobility personality., so hey, 1/3 of the necessary changes are done..

But I’m just dying to know how a “Captivating” Charr Thief sounds.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

in Personal Story

Posted by: yandere.9176

yandere.9176

The point is the only thing that matters here is our character, so if my character goes into a cutscene he should say diffrent stuff or say the same stuff diffrently based on the personality.
Our character doesn’t talk that mcuh anyway, but this could make a diffrence. This basiclly a pure Voice acting job, but but I realize that it is still a lot of work.

Desolation – Mistress of significance level

in Personal Story

Turial.1293

Perhaps new lines for every personality is a bit much especially if you wanted to branch it but having the same VA run through different personalities of a voice is more plausible. I was quite sad to hear my charming human ranger had the exact same voice as some engineer I helped with his personal story. In the original I understand that there was a lack of voicing options as your only choice was male or female really and if you think about it, it has been the better part of 10 years (almost) when you think of how long ago the original VA was done. I feel let down that the method didnt change in the past 7-10 years.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Stormdancer.4972

Stormdancer.4972

At this point I really haven’t noticed these personality traits making any difference about anything.

Do they actually have ANY effect on the world?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

We discussed this earlier in development, but ultimately didn’t have the time or resources to execute on it. It would have required programming resources to allow the CCs to branch, tools support to enable content creation, and a coordinate effort between content design and writing to implement on a meaningful scale. Too many other features took priority.

Perhaps this is something we can consider going forward, as many people want it (including some of us). No promises, though.

Basically, incomplete mechanic planned for an expansion, but no guarantee.

Oh well… Still excited to see if it’s implemented!

in Personal Story

Posted by: yandere.9176

yandere.9176

At this point I really haven’t noticed these personality traits making any difference about anything.

The personality has no impact on anything whatsoever just like the 3rd racial question, doesn’t really do anything for most races.

Desolation – Mistress of significance level

in Personal Story

Posted by: OutsiderSubtype.4329

OutsiderSubtype.4329

Things that personality could/should affect:

• NPC dialogue in your home instance
  • Your character’s idle animations
  • Items (esp. cosmetic ones) that would only be equippable w/ a certain personality

Ideally it would affect your dialogue in story cutscenes as well – this should be included in future expansions.

in Personal Story

Greyfeld.7104

• Items (esp. cosmetic ones) that would only be equippable w/ a certain personality

Ideally it would affect your dialogue in story cutscenes as well – this should be included in future expansions.

I agree with most of these, except items. SWTOR made gear split by light side/dark side, and it was a horrible design decision. How a person dresses shouldn’t be dictated by what they say in dialogue sequences.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

It has minor effects on non voiced content. There are some spots where it requires a really high score of a certain personality trait to get options to bypass a fight. Instead of fighting your way through some enemies you’ll charm them instead if you’re “Captivating”

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

in Personal Story

Posted by: Killul.9685

Killul.9685

It has minor effects on non voiced content. There are some spots where it requires a really high score of a certain personality trait to get options to bypass a fight. Instead of fighting your way through some enemies you’ll charm them instead if you’re “Captivating”

Can you provide an example of this please. I have not noticed this.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Denial Of Service.5732

Denial Of Service.5732

Lol? dude i have 100% charm since i was lvl 50 and nothing like that have happened so stop spreading stupid rumours like that. geez

in Personal Story

Posted by: Theophillus.3026

Theophillus.3026

Those first two seem like they’d be relatively easy to implement, especially since they already have preexisting emotes to work with.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Blueroseknight.7954

Blueroseknight.7954

Why not have certain gear skins that are only purchaseable if you have a certain spread between the 3 traits? I am disappointed with ANet’s inability to think outside the box on this one. There are loads of ways that you could implement some kind of meaningful impact. As it stands currently there is no reason to have it in the game other than to remind the players that some features aren’t worth developing.

in Personal Story

Greyfeld.7104

Why not have certain gear skins that are only purchaseable if you have a certain spread between the 3 traits? I am disappointed with ANet’s inability to think outside the box on this one. There are loads of ways that you could implement some kind of meaningful impact. As it stands currently there is no reason to have it in the game other than to remind the players that some features aren’t worth developing.

Because character aesthetics should never be tied to a roleplaying mechanic. SWTOR proved this for themselves, by pissing off the majority of the fanbase with their lightside/darkside-specific gear.

Roleplaying mechanics should have an effect on your characters’ actions and story, not on how you choose to dress them.

in Personal Story

Posted by: zbrkesbr.4173

zbrkesbr.4173

Lol? dude i have 100% charm since i was lvl 50 and nothing like that have happened so stop spreading stupid rumours like that. geez

it is not a lie there was skillpoint that you could get without a fight by talking your way out. Also there is a certain skillpoint in Wayfarer Foothills (Darkriven Bluffs) where Norn male NPC refuses to fight any female characters and gives you skillpoint for free. There might be more of them, but you missed them because you either didnt have needed level of personality or they required different personality to activate dialogs or both.

War doesn’t determine who is right, only who is left.