Difficulty level for non-tanking classes

in Personal Story

Posted by: Shade.6081

Shade.6081

I have found that unless you play a warrior or guardian the difficulty level of the personal story boss encounters are so difficult as to be virtually un-enjoyable. The difficulty level needs to be adjusted WAY down for the various non-tank professions. I don’t like playing the typical warrior/fighter type class. I enjoy playing a thief or mage (elementalist) type of character and these classes are just too underpowered for this game regarding the personal story bosses. For instance when confronting Tervelan and playing a thief I have found it to be exceedingly difficult. The number of enemies you have to face is EXTREMELY over powering. The thief has some very impressive moves that take a lot of room and if you try them on the bridge battling Tervelan and you fall of the bridge, the whole encounter resets and you have to start completely over. That may be a bug I’m not sure. A thief or elementalist is just too difficult to play as solo. The various not fighter type classes drastically need some more powerful weapons and armor to counter this problem. I am probably finished with this game as I do not get as much enjoyment playing a fighter type class and playing the ones I really enjoy are beyond the scope of playability as solo characters. I could just wander the world and not proceed with my story line but that is 90% of the games charisma. I hope these things will be adjusted in the future but until then this game will collect dust on my desk top.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Blakvalhalla.6170

Blakvalhalla.6170

I can feel you’re pain OP, my first 80 (only days old mind you, so I’m very much a casual) is a Mesmer, often I found I could only do the story if I was 3-5 levels above and uber tired of repair bills. My warrior I can do 2-3 levels above with sword/shield & traited/geared greens. My biggest gripe is that while the storylines are generally epic in themselves, the rewards are pitiful. I did a 54 lev story as 51, and got a level 50 blue helm? I mean seriously? Why would it hurt to not award a rare after like every 5th story? It’s not like gear stays on long while leveling anyways. But a blue you can’t even use? I do agree with skullfaerie somewhat though. Chin up, keep trying.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Shade.6081

Shade.6081

Been there done that skullfaerie. I have played an elementalist too and he is stuck in the same situation. I am not that bad of a player…not great but not bad. The weapons and armor available to you for these classes are totally worthless. They will need to bump these stats for these items to make it playable for the non-tank classes. I would just go out and bump my levels and come back to it but this game has an idiotic forced leveling system so you can’t do that either. I mean the whole idea of forced leveling is an idea originating from whiners. Think about this concept for a second. Lets say you have capped out at level 80 and you go back to the beginning of the game and you are forced back to level 1? Really? Does that REALLY make any sense whatsoever? If thats the case just let us have access to level 80 areas now…. our stats will be bumped and game over. The game has some issues that really need addressing to make it more enjoyable.

in Personal Story

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

I think the difficulty is just about right. Played through the game with engineer and ele so far, without major troubles (Estate of Decay was rather annoying, but doable). Maybe you should ask friends/guildies to help you on the hard missions?

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kashrlyyk.5364

Kashrlyyk.5364

Level adjustment is a good thing. …

That is true for the open world part, but, imo, inside the personal stories it should be up to the player at what level they want to do the quest.

in Personal Story

Posted by: deathmint.8526

deathmint.8526

I have to agree that most of these are way too difficult for the non-tanking classes. To say that you have to look for answers about how to do these encounters in the forums seems ridiculous. Requiring meta-gaming to get through an RPG is just wrong. They need to be play tested with the kind of equipment we get from drops and crafting at these levels. Fixing the ‘help’ in these missions is definitely required as well. These NPCs have to be tricked into doing what they’re supposed to do.

(edited by deathmint.8526)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Or maybe don’t play pure glass cannons when you solo? If you don’t spend a single stat point in defenseive stats you’re asking to die in solo. I traited my warrior all the way into defense and she takes ages to kill stuff, to the point where outside world mobs sometimes respawn by the time I finish a tough veteran and I get zerged, so it’s not much better this side of the fence.

The problem with nerfing PS encounters is that this is going to make the personal story an even bigger joke than it already is for tanks. On my warrior, I use mace+shield and longbow for weapons and I heal with all of my utilities on top of two passive regens. Between all the blocks, interrupts, blinds, and a free dodge when I use a burst skill, I can literally take 0 damage over the course of a fight if I play well. (Unless it’s a champion or a AoE zerg.) If the bosses are not punishing enough when a hit slips past my defenses and I regen it all back then there’s absolutely no challenge whatsoever and I might as well just stand in front of the boss and auto-attack WoW-style.

(edited by Bearhugger.4326)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Rie.6789

Rie.6789

I’ve had a really easy time with ranger, since the pet can tank, and with mesmer, since illusions and phantasms can distract/tank. Even engineer isn’t too bad, since your turrets can ‘tank’. Necromancer has minions, but they tend to be fairly weak, had a harder time with that.

Some of the missions are actually easier for non-tanking classes, I’ve had to help out a friend on a few of them since guardians don’t have much for ranged.

With my ranger, I was able to solo all of the quests fairly well, with my mesmer I only needed help with one.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Yarda.3162

Yarda.3162

Honestly, the missions in this game are nowhere near difficult. On level 10 i did a level 16 quest alone, all it took was a fair bit of kiting. There was one quest that gave me trouble, even with the right level, and that was the last quest of the skritt story line. But would I complain about it being too difficult? No! It’s almost the only story line that I remember BECAUSE it was challenging.

I bet that all the people who complain about it being too hard don’t like adapting. You can swap around weapons and utility skills, and solve almost every situation. you just need to find what works.

in Personal Story

Posted by: deathmint.8526

deathmint.8526

The point is you shouldn’t have to go out and earn nn more skill points to try some other thing that may or may not work… find some other weapon somehow that might make some difference… Google or forum hunt out some way to maybe get through it without dying 10 times. These classes are all about adapting… your bet would be in folly.

It’s poor development plain and simple. The quests should be different for these classes so it doesn’t affect the classes for which they’ve clearly been designed and should be play tested with ‘real’ equipment and skill load outs. Doing less only encourages players to go to extreme measures to try to buy what they need to get through and pay for their repairs.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

I play all the story steps as a thief, designed to be able to solo veterans. It’s based on the build I use for my Live thief to tackle skill challenges. (And for lower levels, I make sure I’m not using traits/skills I wouldn’t have access to, and I actually set my level down, I’m not using a downscaled L80.) Not all builds are going to work in all cases, we simply can’t make every story step work for all possible builds. In general, survivability > glass cannon.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Reikou.1840

Reikou.1840

I remember back during the betas, I thought the personal story quests were too difficult. During launch, I can’t say the same except for two missions to date so far. For the record, I was playing an Elementalist as my first character, no, my armor was not up to date all the time, and I was usually kitted in blues, with a couple of greens, as I wasn’t willing to spend the extra money on a green over a blue when it would just get replaced in a few levels.

The two missions is the Skritt one where I had to fight off the destroyers, since my build at the time was rather focused on Burn damage, and I had not gotten into the habit of carrying other weapons (was using a Staff at the time), I got my butt handed to me. Multiple times.

The other is the Battle of Claw Island. But, this is more a psychological issue than an issue with “not designed for non-tanking classes”. When I run into enemies that are worth zero exp, and zero loot, I tend to want to ignore them, and rush past them. Which is a bad idea on this map, but they continually spawn and I just want it over with since the risk/reward ratio is not in line. I get that all of the enemies need to be there to make the battle epic, but having the enemies do full damage and provide no reward is just wrong. I actually found this particular story mission difficult with a Warrior kitted in Exotics, but, again, psychological factor of me wanting to rush and yes, that means run past enemies ignoring them and having a large group trying to assault me instead of taking my time and killing a path.

All the other story missions that I have done, which includes the racial story lines for Human, Norn, and Sylvari, and all three Orders, were far from being “too difficult”. While I feel the suggestion of googling is a good idea, I never had to because I would always look into breaking down the combat, and answering that question of “What am I doing wrong?”. One should not expect to have a static build of two specific weapon sets, a single heal, three utility and an elite to be able to complete all content in this game. Guild Wars 2, just like it’s predecessor, is built upon “Counters”. Everything has a counter. And when your “static” build runs into it’s “counter”, you’re in for a world of hurt if you haven’t learned how to adapt.

I also want to applaud Jeffrey for coming in here to comment about what he uses to playtest with, and that he doesn’t use a downscaled 80. I’m sure there will be some who won’t believe him or feel that the content is geared around thieves now, but really, the story stuff can be done by any class. Just bring what can counter the enemies you’re fighting. Figure out how the enemies are doing damage, and learn how to mitigate it best for your class.

in Personal Story

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I found the skritt one to be a bit of a pain with elementalist too. You’re getting swarmed by creatures that are fast enough and have enough non-melee attacks that you can’t really kite them. They’re immune to burning, so your main area damage attribute – Fire – is nerfed. They dish out their damage in multiple smaller packets rather than the occasional larger one, so whipping out the lightning hammer won’t let you hold out the way it will normally for other professions. The arc in general, and that step in particular, just had me so frustrated with the Elementalist that it went on the proverbial backburner for about a month afterwards. (that and the Vigil leadup to Claw Island – underwater in close confines is not the elementalist’s happy place.)

That said, that was before the buffed Signet of Air – it’d probably be different if I tried it now.

When I did come back and get to Claw Island, I think I basically ended up abusing the pathing to survive the section involving lighting the towers – there’s a lip where you can jump up and down, but the thralls and brutes will keep going around. Killing along the way is definitely safer, but the mobs respawn (which is why they don’t drop loot) so it’s not as much safer as you might expect.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

(edited by draxynnic.3719)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Or maybe don’t play pure glass cannons when you solo?

<snip>

The problem with nerfing PS encounters is that this is going to make the personal story an even bigger joke than it already is for tanks.

Maybe I misunderstand, but you seem to be arguing ‘glass canons’ needs not apply to do the PS content which should be reserved for tanks as a challenge?

Really?

Thing is, this game doesn’t have Duel Spec, so one can’t whip out one’s ‘DPS spec’ to do solo content when one’s ‘healer’ spec can’t cut it.

(edited by Kraggy.4169)

in Personal Story

Posted by: TheKillerAngel.3596

TheKillerAngel.3596

Thief? Black powder spam owns everything short of champions.

Think stacking and skipping trash is cheap?
Read: Playing to Win.
Guide: How to play a Mesmer in dungeons.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

As a Thief, for soloing PvE, all you really need is a clever use of Shortbow (evasive Cripple application? Yes please, thank you, I’ll have that cake and eat it too) and “correctly used” Stealth (avoid resets from staying in it too long). It takes a bit of work sometimes, especially when facing a Champion, but you can definitely solo a lot of the games content (incl. the dragons, if there’s nobody around to help you kill them—though they aren’t all too challenging unfortunately).

I’ve since my leveling days, fallen into a more beefy build, and I am pretty much exclusively using Sword+Dagger / Shortbow as my weapons these days, but that just means it’s even easier today than it was back when. Like Jeffrey says; In general, survivability > glass cannon.

If you wish to be more in-their-face, I recommend to use Dagger+Pistol, as you can just keep applying Blind on your target over, and over, and over, and over with Blinding Shot. It makes playing a more melee-focused Thief pretty easy. In most cases you can avoid adds, by pulling back, stealth, rinse repeat until your desired target is alone.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

in Personal Story

Posted by: Voltar.8574

Voltar.8574

I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about (my ele’s post-Arah and my thief’s on some of the level 76 stuff). Every once in a while I got complacent and died once because I wasn’t paying attention.
Are you wearing armor 20 levels lower than you or something?
edit: I always level glass-cannon and made it through with my 80 engy, 80 ranger, 80 guradian (progressively less glass cannon over time), 80 ele and 76 thief (and 35 mesmer, 25 necro and 27 warrior but that’s not so spectacular).
You might want to get used to the dodge and make sure to have 1 oh-shucks button. As a matter of fact, my thief’s been the easiest because she’s d/p.

(edited by Voltar.8574)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about (my ele’s post-Arah and my thief’s on some of the level 76 stuff). Every once in a while I got complacent and died once because I wasn’t paying attention.
Are you wearing armor 20 levels lower than you or something?
edit: I always level glass-cannon and made it through with my 80 engy, 80 ranger, 80 guradian (progressively less glass cannon over time), 80 ele and 76 thief (and 35 mesmer, 25 necro and 27 warrior but that’s not so spectacular).
You might want to get used to the dodge and make sure to have 1 oh-shucks button. As a matter of fact, my thief’s been the easiest because she’s d/p.

Armor 20 levels below you aren’t necessarily all that terrible assuming it is at least Masterwork. A Masterwork that is 20 levels below is only slightly worse than a Fine that is at your level and Fine is fine. :p

in Personal Story

Kashrlyyk.5364

Or maybe don’t play pure glass cannons when you solo? If you don’t spend a single stat point in defenseive stats you’re asking to die in solo.

How do you do that at level 10?

The problem with nerfing PS encounters is that this is going to make the personal story an even bigger joke than it already is for tanks.

Behold the miracle of “if-else”-statements:

if(class == tank) spawn(HardBoss); else spawn(EasyBoss);

Another way: if(class == tank) increaseHealthAndDefense(Boss);

….If the bosses are not punishing enough when a hit slips past my defenses and I regen it all back then there’s absolutely no challenge whatsoever and I might as well just stand in front of the boss and auto-attack WoW-style.

Have you fought against Doc Howler in “Breaking the Blade” as an Elementalist at level 10? If you have some tips are appreciated.

There is always the chance that some storylines are easier than others. So what storyline have you played?

(edited by Kashrlyyk.5364)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

I play all the story steps as a thief,

I think everyone needs to re-read that post, slowly, multiple times. All story quests are playtested on a thief, not a downlevelled 80 warr or guard, an appropriate level thief.

in Personal Story

Posted by: synch.2980

synch.2980

I play all the story steps as a thief, designed to be able to solo veterans. It’s based on the build I use for my Live thief to tackle skill challenges. (And for lower levels, I make sure I’m not using traits/skills I wouldn’t have access to, and I actually set my level down, I’m not using a downscaled L80.) Not all builds are going to work in all cases, we simply can’t make every story step work for all possible builds. In general, survivability > glass cannon.

Given that you can always enter the story missions “before” the proper level in order to make it more difficult, I do think you should consider adopting the same downleveling scheme in the personal story that you do in the open world – downlevel to the area + 1.

That would give folks who, for whatever reason, are having trouble with the quest the ability to make it a bit easier by getting a one-level advantage on it, without making it utterly trivial.

While for some people the game is about finding the appropriate/optimal skill/weapon/stratagy for “solving” an encounter, for others – particularly in the story areas of the game, it’s just about proceeding along the story arc with your character – who may be a ranger with a pet eagle, who uses a longbow – even though, for this particular encounter, a greatsword with a bear would be better.

If your vision of your character doesn’t fit the encoutner’s mechanics, I think reasonable accommodation should be made – especially in the personal story – for letting people experience it with their character as they want it to be.

There are plenty of places in the game (high level fractals, explore mode dungeons, pvp) where concept needs to take a back seat to effectiveness, but I don’t think the personal story should be one of those places.

in Personal Story

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

While for some people the game is about finding the appropriate/optimal skill/weapon/stratagy for “solving” an encounter, for others – particularly in the story areas of the game, it’s just about proceeding along the story arc with your character.

THIS. Exactly this.

I just wanted the personal story to be an engaging escape; I did not want to have to engage in tedious theorycrafting and strategies that involve multiple deaths just to enjoy the story aspects of the game. As a casual player, I have found the Personal Story to be frustrating, disappointing, and not even the slightest bit fun.

in Personal Story

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

While for some people the game is about finding the appropriate/optimal skill/weapon/stratagy for “solving” an encounter, for others – particularly in the story areas of the game, it’s just about proceeding along the story arc with your character.

THIS. Exactly this.

I just wanted the personal story to be an engaging escape; I did not want to have to engage in tedious theorycrafting and strategies that involve multiple deaths just to enjoy the story aspects of the game. As a casual player, I have found the Personal Story to be frustrating, disappointing, and not even the slightest bit fun.

i play causally and it took me over 3 months to beat the story. I usually play quest 4 level below the suggested level. It was fun playing. Please separate causal players and people who need to learn to play. This game is not an issue of being too difficult. This game has an issue of forcing a dynamic combat system that is rarely seen in most games. This is a learn to play issue

in Personal Story

minbariguy.7504

This is a learn to play issue

Hey, whatever makes you feel more superior. More power to ya. :-)

In the meantime, those of us who do not enjoy the Personal Story and it’s tedium will continue to give our feedback, as there were more threads posted on this forum by people who apparently need to “L2P” than any other MMO I’ve ever played.

in Personal Story

loseridoit.2756

This is a learn to play issue

Hey, whatever makes you feel more superior. More power to ya. :-)

In the meantime, those of us who do not enjoy the Personal Story and it’s tedium will continue to give our feedback, as there were more threads posted on this forum by people who apparently need to “L2P” than any other MMO I’ve ever played.

It doesnt make me feel superior. I just dont want the game to be nerf because of a vocal group of people who does not know how to play is complaining. Changing the gaming will make people who enjoy the game to start hate it. I hope this does not happen to Guild Wars 2. If the personal Story feel frustrating, then post a video to allow other people to comment on your play style. In fact, post your build and gear. People the forum are usually helpful. They can be hostile to people who just complain about the game without learning the mechanics
If you do not enjoy the writing, then we feel your pain

in Personal Story

Posted by: Ssolvarain.7384

Ssolvarain.7384

I’ve tried all kinds of combinations to kill Doc Howler with my thief. None of them are working.

And no, if a play style is not intuitive, then there’s something wrong with the design of the game itself. As it stands, I’m not gonna be touching the personal story until Doc Howler is toned down. I don’t have enough money to blow on constant repairs.

in Personal Story

loseridoit.2756

I’ve tried all kinds of combinations to kill Doc Howler with my thief. None of them are working.

And no, if a play style is not intuitive, then there’s something wrong with the design of the game itself. As it stands, I’m not gonna be touching the personal story until Doc Howler is toned down. I don’t have enough money to blow on constant repairs.

I feel your pain. I tried to kill that boss when I was level 8 during the beta events. Of course that was stupid, since the miniumment required level is the time when I was allowed and extra utility slot and swapping. Then I manage to kill that boss around level 10. I was a mesmer during the beta event before they nerf the game at beta event 2. Theives are hard to play in pvE. Try and take your time and use your ally npc as meat sheilds. I hope you did not abonden your friend by protecting the city because he will help you fight doc howler

in Personal Story

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

What weapons are you using? Sword+ pistol will allow you to keep Howler stunned and blinded, so it’s effective setup against single targets.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Arrow.4619

Arrow.4619

My advice is to use the forums and the wiki and anyone willing to help and you can get through the personal story missions.

Your complaint about personal story rewards I agree with but I don’t think that is really the problem here. As an aside: Seriously Anet would it be the end of the world to give players soulbound rares for completing certain steps in the personal story line arc instead of crappy blues interspersed with the occasional greens that the player will only sell and not use?

I finished all of the personal story line (except the end) solo with a thief using dagger/dagger and pistol/pistol (no change in weapon sets btw but I typically entered all the stories with at least +5 levels). Some of the personal missions are a significant challenge: Claw Island and the Mouth of Z come to mind. But I’m used to playing a GW “thief type” since in GW1 my main character was an Assassin and the same rules sort of apply (move and keep moving unless you’re soloing one or two opponents). I’ve found that sometimes its just a strategy issue that stymies you – for the Mouth of Z I kept wiping because all of my support got wiped and I could not out dps him solo. So eventually I just pulled all of the npcs to one side, started the combat and then moved around behind him and dagger/dagger 5-1’d him to death while he stayed focused on the npcs. When he turned on me I backed off and let the npcs beat on him until he refocused on them. I just needed to adjust my tactics for that situation.

Regarding ease of some sections with tank class verses other classes: With my Thief I can solo any veteran by just standing toe-to-toe and hitting the dagger/dagger 5-1 combo while throwing in an occasional 3. Karka are the exceptions – I can come close with young karka veterans but its just not worth the trouble (the rewards in GW2 for defeating a veteran or champion suck) . And I can solo and some champions with my thief. However, I have found it significantly “easier” to solo champions with my Ranger. The same isn’t true for veterans as the Ranger’s lower dps makes it more of a grind to take them out. However I just think that’s the price you pay for not being able to tank at least somewhat and you just have to adjust.

Again, I think its just a matter of using other resources (wiki, forum, friends) to help you adjust what you are doing and you’ll succeed.

Nerf Shadow Arts condition cleanse. Gut the
Acrobatics trait line. Then sell it back
to them for $50. Brilliant! – ghost of P.T. Barnum

in Personal Story

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

One should not expect to have a static build of two specific weapon sets, a single heal, three utility and an elite to be able to complete all content in this game. Guild Wars 2, just like it’s predecessor, is built upon “Counters”. Everything has a counter. And when your “static” build runs into it’s “counter”, you’re in for a world of hurt if you haven’t learned how to adapt.

Clearly you and the designers of this game are in disagreement here. If they had meant us to use more than what they provided and allowed us to use then they would have allowed us to have access to more than 2 sets of weapon skills (1 if you are a mage), 1 heal, 3 skills of the player’s choice and an elite skill also of the player’s choice all of which cannot be changed once the player is “in combat.”

You are subsituting your own opinion for how you think the game should be played for how the game was actually designed to be played and no one is being fooled by this deception. Your idea of “counters” is even worse. It implies that some classes and builds were intentionally poorly designed so that other people could take advantages of the deficiency and that the player of that build was intended to never stand a chance against someone else when they randomly encounter each other. I highly doubt that such “counters” are intentional since PvP is designed to have some random qualities to it and the idea of counters would therefore be incomplete since you’d end up with a system where A is good against B but only good against B, B is good againt C but only good against C, and C is good against A but only good against A and then D who will fair decently agaisnt all of them. If PvP is intentionally designed in such a way that you never know whether you will be facing A, B, C or D then how could any good developer create a system where you randomly lose 1.5 out of 3 matchups just because your build was only intended to be good against one particular class whose only purpose was to be good against some other class that was only intendeds to be good against your class and all of which could be trumped by D? Why would any rational person design such a clearly flawed system that causes players to lose? And why would any rational person encourage games to be designed using such a flawed system? The more likely idea behind "counters’ were simply design defects or inevitable inabilities to balance certain classes against each other becuase there was simply too much on the table to allow perfect balancing to be possible so some large imbalances were left in the game because they could not easily be fixed and determined to involve such infrequent matchups as to not be worth devoting time to addressing. Whether these deficicencies actually played were minor or turned out to be major problems is a seperate area of inquiry.

This is an especially ludicrous assumption to maintain when talking about a part of a game that was designed to be played solo and designed around the gameplay restrictions that the designers introduced.

And of course we do have hard evidence that proves you are wrong. Elementalists can go D/D the entire game and be perfectly peachy. Necros can use Staff, Guardians can use Greatsword etc. Each class likely has at least one good build they could use throughout the story campaign. Coincidentally these are also some of the most popular weapon choices for these classes. I would classify these as the D from above, where they are pretty good against everything rather than suffering from over or under-specialization. I would even go further and argue that if the OP is having problems it might not be that they don’t know how to play but because the weapons they chose to use, and the devs said they should be able to use by including them in a game that restricts players to using only what they have equipped, simply are not fully functional at present and need to be fixed.

(edited by Ellisande.5218)

in Personal Story

Coldtart.4785

When I took a thief to the fight with Doc Howler I won by just spamming death blossom. No skill, no finesse, I hesitate to even call it a faceroll because it was just one button to win. It was like I was playing WoW again.

in Personal Story

Kashrlyyk.5364

It sounds to me like at least half the people complaining about “difficulty” have no interest in learning how to play the game, but only want to watch cutscenes undisturbed with the gameplay just being a bothersome thing you must do in between those.

Bullkitten strawman.

People are giving advice, yet it is dismissed and countered with variants of “No, whatever, shut up, it’s just to difficult, change it or I won’t play”. Mature.
If you want to play, help is there, why not use it?

Where did anyone give any advice on how to beat Doc Howler as a level 10 elementalist? Again bullkitten from you.

Please don’t try to ruin a good game for those of us who are actually here to play the game and would hate to see difficulty adjusted to toddler level just so you can have a convenient “engaging escape”. Sigh.

Why do you care how someone wants to play THEIR personal mission solo???? We are NOT talking about the rest of the game JUST THE PERSONAL STORY!!!

in Personal Story

Coldtart.4785

Given that they nerfed Orr into the ground the personal story is the only time the game difficulty rises above nonexistant, therefore he has good reason to not want it nerfed for the sake of people that won’t l2p.

Read that again please since you clearly didn’t notice it the first time. Thief is the most fragile class in the game at low levels, even moreso than elementalist due to having near zero active defence. The tiny boost from wearing medium over light does not even come close to compensating.

in Personal Story

Kashrlyyk.5364

Read that again please since you clearly didn’t notice it the first time. Thief is the most fragile class in the game at low levels, even moreso than elementalist due to having near zero active defence. The tiny boost from wearing medium over light does not even come close to compensating.

I have read it.

a) Why do you assume it is true?

b) Why do you assume that “can be beaten by a game designer who worked on the game” is a good measure for difficulty?

c) What do people do that for example have slower reaction times than Mr. Vaughn and therefore regularly fail to interrupt that extremely dangerous attack? Not play the PERSONAL story because people like you and Vaughn can beat it?

d) The fact that the German magazine “Gamestar” which is ridiculously uncritical towards ANet and Guild Wars actually criticized the horrible balance of the story missions should have started all alarm bells in ANets heads: “The resentment comes back again if you are confronted with one of the badly unbalanced story tasks. And anyone will be faced with one at some point in Guild Wars 2.”

This is exactly why Guild Wars 2 right now is a mediocre game. I can’t remember any other game where frustration and fun oscillated that much like it does in GW2. But that means that there is WAY too much frustration in the game ergo a mediocre game.

in Personal Story

minbariguy.7504

I can’t remember any other game where frustration and fun oscillated that much like it does in GW2.

Agree completely.

in Personal Story

Posted by: soulartistrb.7509

soulartistrb.7509

Doc was one of the more difficult missions and ratastophy was a nightmare but it bugged out on me and the first one in the priory was horrible with the wind knocking you down. Since I did that the first time around it seemed to be fixed. Point being that so many were horrible at launch but were doable then and now are not bad at all now. My only complaint is having to do a dungeon to finish my story. Btw I’ve done up to 70+ on ele, guard,engi and necro. None are really tank classes. My best advice is kite and keep moving. If you have trouble level a lil and then come back. Also, change weapons and skills if you’re having problems. If you think it’s bugged report it.

Lots of toons and so little time :D

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kings.7491

Kings.7491

I’ve played the personal story on both my guardian and my ranger, and the way I see it is the opposite. Instead of making it easier for the “non-tanking” classes, it should be more challenging for the “tanking” classes. I found the story way too easy when playing on my guardian, and just made me annoyed because the waves and waves of enemies wasn’t difficult, it just took so long time.