Notes for The Battle of Fort Trinity designer

in Personal Story

Posted by: Udderdecay.5420

Udderdecay.5420

1. Please put up a railing or some sort of wall at on the platform leading into the docks. If you jump off this platform when all the NPCs are following you at the end of the quest they despawn and there is no possible way you can finish the quest. It sucks to have to restart the quest because you did not follow the “correct” path.

2. This applys to all designers making personal stories. If you put tons and tons of mobs in the instance because the player is going to have the support of tons and tons of NPCs you may want to make sure the player has a way to get those NPCs back if they die. For instance, I had all the NPCs die when doing the Retake Claw Island quest and had to solo all the veterans that spawn at the end. It took far to long as was not what I would call fun.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Praenomen.3245

Praenomen.3245

I’d like to add to the second point there.

ArenaNet, your quests are nice on paper. I feel like you did not properly playtest many of the story quests, however. If you are going to make a quest have tons of mobs because the player will have tons of NPC backup, please make the NPCs able to hold their own in battle.

I can understand you would not want to make the NPCs tough so that they do not carry the player through the combat, but if you do not want the player to be carried through the quest, please do not make a quest with tons of mobs in it on the premise of having NPCs to be backup.

A few quests I have been in have worked out, but the vast majority of quests you have made that involve situations like this, the NPCs would all die within the opening sequences of the fight and I would be forced to repeatedly suicide bomb a large mass of mobs in an attempt to thin the numbers, being unable to reach any NPCs to even ressurect them, not that they would prove much use if they were raised.

This is extremely frustrating.

Particularly if I am playing a squisher class (Thief, Elementalist) but still highly frustrating as classes with more mob-managing options (Warrior, Engineer)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

Ironically one of the personal story quests where you defend a beach just outside Lions Arch (cant remember the name) had as its final wave 8 abominations spawn. The Irony was I ended up having more luck killing them off after all my NPC allies had died off because the NPCs allies grouped around the abominations, got slaughtered by AOE hits and caused the abominations to to frenzy. Kind of killed the flow of the fight.

I had a similar problem in The Battle for Fort Trinity. All my guys died and I ended up agroing one mob at a time (since they were flaged as neutral) and after killing about half of one group the cutscene cut in.

Kind of killed the flow.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Uxian.6743

Uxian.6743

I’d like to add my support for this. I’ve just encountered the very same bug and now I’m stuck trying to kill about 30-40 risen with just 2 NPCs to help and I’m getting swamped and killed within 10 seconds of pulling anything even if I’m careful just to hit the stragglers because even neutral mobs with significant distance between them are causing social aggro (not to mention that they resurrect each other during the fight).

(edited by Uxian.6743)