Personal Story Difficulty Unacceptable

in Personal Story

Posted by: valho.4605

valho.4605

This past week I did Battle of Claw Island and Killing Fields with a friend. Both were frustratingly difficult. We both had characters over level 60 and I have no idea how a single player would be able to do them. Especially since these missions had ZERO drops from mobs, dying so many times and incurring that much repair cost was very much not fun. Then upon completion (after we looked up where we had to be killing things for Claw Island) we got crap items and 5 bags at the end of the mission. So we lost money doing both missions -.-

So yeah, exploring areas out in the world? lots of fun, enjoying the dynamic events! missions? really dreading having to do more of them to get to the high level areas.

I solo both on my warrior, help my ranger friend on Battle of Claw Island as well. Solo I probably died once or twice. Not impossible for war and I guess guardian to solo, but other classes I am not sure, as my thief haven’t reach there yet.

in Personal Story

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

@ valho

Well the key to Claw island when as a Thief is to use your stealth and focus on killing the weak/ low HP enemies first.

I only died 1 once in Claw Island as a Thief and that was using duel pistols and you know how lacking on AoE attacks duel pistols is with Claw Island full of group enemies.

in Personal Story

Posted by: valho.4605

valho.4605

@EdwinLi

Thanks for the heads up, will take note of them when I do the quest for my thief.
For my thief I prefer shortbow due to the AOE, but kitting and using skill #2 and #4 is not easy

in Personal Story

Posted by: Skarsha.6704

Skarsha.6704

I love the personal story quests, they are my personal challenge. I love seeing how far i can push the gap between my lev and the content. At my best i was doing story’s 14 levs above mine before i hit the wall. Please do not nerf them and if some find it to hard find a friend or 2. On my round of personal story atm on my engi first time was a thief and average a gap of 2 to 8 levs above me on my engi. You need to pay attention to the text in them because some only say go somewhere and do a certain task. If the text does not say kill any mobs DONT, just complete the task. It is very easy to get side tracked killing mobs when you dont need to, and these are the times you will wipe over and over because you dont need to kill the mobs always.

in Personal Story

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

Well I must be super-lucky because although some Personal Story episodes have been challenging, I’ve found none that required rez-rushing or friends, and I’ve played several professions through to Claw Island (though only one beyond it). I’m not a particularly skilled player either, I’m just tenacious.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

in Personal Story

Posted by: getzzzonked.7609

getzzzonked.7609

So far I have played and near-completed two personal story lines; Sylvari Necro and Asura Mesmer, and the content has been challenging, but never too hard to complete. At times I’ve realised I have gone a bit ‘roflnormalMMOcombatstyle’ and died, so when I go back to do it again I have been more strategic, used my dodges and heals more tactically, and finished them fine.
I intend to play as many story lines as I can over the years I will likely play this game for, so maybe I’ll never see any bugs etc., as they’ll be fixed. But the OP says difficulty. I haven’t found the difficultly to be past my casual gamer level of skill. Is it possible that people just aren’t grasping this new kind of MMO combat style? Where movement, dodging and LoS mean a hell of a lot?
Edit: And I haven’t actually had a chance to do a story quest with a friend yet, but I do intend to level a character with my girlfriend soon and complete the personal stories together.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
[EXE] Piken Square EU

in Personal Story

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

[SNIP]…I first tried the level 10 “human street rat” personal story mission “Breaking the Blade” as a level 12 Thief. I had relatively little difficulty with the previous missions, but on this one I died six times in a row. Doc Howler crushed me every time …

Stormwaltz, I feel your pain. I haven’t logged in but for a few minutes over the past month because of how frustrating personal story missions are. Simply put, they are NOT FUN. Doc Howler stopped my thief’s story progression for days until I could find a friend to come help me, but as several people in this thread have already pointed out, I should not have had to ask for additional assistance in what should be solo-able by the average gamer.

It’s just incredibly jarring to have one level of effectiveness while fighting against mobs in normal PVE and then suddenly be having your kitten handed to you by ordinary street thugs in a personal story mission. I’m tempted to just skip them entirely, but then the knowledge that I wasn’t “good enough” to do them kind of sucks the fun out of my game. So instead I just don’t log in.

I just don’t think that a solo story mission should have a difficulty level much higher than normal PVE content. It should be made interesting by virtue of the plot, the dialogue, and the characters…not by virtue of how you manage to survive ridiculously inappropriate high-burst DPS. There is other content in the game for people who crave higher levels of difficulty. Personal story missions should not be that kind of content. In my opinion, of course.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Cabbage.4085

Cabbage.4085

I have done every single story for my Thief (Whisper’s Guild). Not once did I need to ask help from anyone.

Some of them were tough but they were never impossible.

in Personal Story

minbariguy.7504

Some of them were tough but they were never impossible.

Meh. I just want them to be fun instead of incredibly frustrating. Again, I have no objections to “tough” content; I just don’t think the personal story missions are an appropriate place for it. And the fact that devs have been starting to tune down the difficulty on some of these story missions in response to player feedback indicates that this is not just a couple of people that are having a problem.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Eulolia.2467

Eulolia.2467

Did story as mesmer solo up to 72 or so, back about a month ago when nothing was fixed

Total deaths : 1, when that “test the gun for zott” or whatever didn’t work properly
Total downed states: 3 or 4

are you guys clickers or something?

Subscribe for exciting guild wars 2 videos! https://www.youtube.com/user/eulololia/

in Personal Story

minbariguy.7504

Nope. I use a Razor Naga mouse and use the side number keys for my skills.

Regardless of how many people insist that they did it with no problems, the fact remains that many people have been quite vocal about the fact that they dislike the sudden surge of difficulty between regular PVE content and personal story missions.

Do you honestly not feel that the personal story missions are much more difficult than regular PVE content? And if you acknowledge that they are more difficult (regardless of whether or not that increase in difficulty prevented you, personally, from completing the content), then my question is simply: why must it be so? I want to enjoy the story for the plot twists and characters…not spend my time beating my head against my desk in frustration.

(edited by minbariguy.7504)

in Personal Story

Posted by: solektrall.4028

solektrall.4028

just posted a topic on this NPC’s seem to be trains right now post if you agree or what youve seen, my NPC followers are running devasting amounts of damage and kill stuff before i can touch them haha

in Personal Story

Posted by: Xanatos Chimera.5029

Xanatos Chimera.5029

I’ve had one in the Kodan mission for the Norn, where I have to take down the Overminer, and as proof I defeated the Overminer I pick up the “Boomstick”. My problem is the game turns around and FORCES the weapon on me with a really cruddy fire-rate, low damage, and limited skills. I cannot switch away from it either. What in the name of Snow Leopard and Wolf is my character thinking? I’m a freaking Guardian, I’m not trained to use a rifle, and why would I use a crappy rifle compared to my better weapons and skills? Take the trophy, fine, but the kodan never said I had to make my way out using the Overminer’s rifle and not my own skills and weapons.

In the charr Iron Legion case where I have to test out the ghost-bore prototype it at least makes sense. We’re testing the weapon, but did it really have to have that Zhaitan kitten slow fire-rate on the basic shot skill? Yeah, so it incorporates knock back, but that doesn’t help me when my medium-armoured tail gets mobbed by 5 other ghosts. Great, I have to wait 1s between each shot and it takes as many shots to down a ghost as my regular rifle does. What gives? I thought the Ghostbore-tech was supposed to shred ghosts? It ain’t really doing that… it’s about as effective as it was against the dummies in the Tribune’s office.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Tweek.3190

Tweek.3190

The only story modes I had any problems with on my mesmer were the ones where Lion’s Arch gets infected by the risen. After that they all were doable with a bit of tactic and thinking.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Eulolia.2467

Eulolia.2467

Do you honestly not feel that the personal story missions are much more difficult than regular PVE content? And if you acknowledge that they are more difficult (regardless of whether or not that increase in difficulty prevented you, personally, from completing the content), then my question is simply: why must it be so?

I think story quests are usually a repetition of the same thing combat-wise, which is “kill 4 normal mobs at once”. If you can do that, you’ll never die; if you can’t do that, you’ll always die. Solo PvE does throw those situations at you quite often if you’re soloing events. If you know how to kite between cooldowns you can probably take 10+ monsters at once solo with any class.

Remember story lets you keep resurrecting too, so if you can’t do something you can keep banging your head against it.

But it’s clear from about level 3 that the combat system of this game is built around avoidance. If they retuned it so you could just stand there and hack away at 4 monsters at once, there wouldn’t be much of a combat system left.

Subscribe for exciting guild wars 2 videos! https://www.youtube.com/user/eulololia/

in Personal Story

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

Charr thief, I just made sure my level was at least 5 levels above the recommended level. Never had any troubles except when I reached the level 80 storyline, either I teamed up with a stranger I saw running to the quest star or I tried it with a lot of dying.

I find the difficulty as it is good. The recommended level isn’t right on the Charr storyline imo, but that’s probably because I was a squishy thief and not a bunker warrior.

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

in Personal Story

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

nothing wrong with the difficulty. L2p issues

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kyosji.8961

Kyosji.8961

I’ve found the personal quests extremely easy. Currently I’ve been doing them 10 levels higher then I am. Sucks cause the loot I get is way to high for me to use, and I usually find better before then, but funny how it feels that I really shouldn’t be doing these quests because they should be insta kill for me.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Refugee.3092

Refugee.3092

Stuck on the battle of claw island with my Sylvari engineer at the last part where you have to hold the center. It’s still the same crap as it was about a month ago with my elementalist. Unplayable. I’m not going to touch these personal stories again with a cattle prod.

It has been repeated on these forums again and again that we are not all warriors who can solo 20 mobs at the same time. Balance “Battle of Claw Island” for ALL professions. Getting my behind handed to me time and time again with this stupid crap drives me away from this otherwise brilliant game. I’m going to stay at pandaville for a while. Utterly sick of the game right now.

in Personal Story

minbariguy.7504

If many people were not having problems with the difficulty then they wouldn’t be tuning the difficulty down on some of the story missions in response to player feedback, would they?

Look, I am not making the claim that I don’t have l2p issues. I completely recognize the fact that my skill level is obviously lower than that of many other players. I also completely accept that there will most likely always be content that I will not be able to experience due to my skill level. That’s completely fine. There needs to be content to challenge people with higher skill levels than myself. I don’t begrudge others that content.

My ONLY request is that my skill level not bar me from experiencing STORY CONTENT. That’s it. That’s all I ask. Everyone, regardless of skill level, should be able to experience the story of Guild Wars 2 without a sense of constant defeat and frustration.

Again, I WANT there to be difficult and challenging content in the game, and I want this knowing full well that it is possible that I may never be skilled enough to enjoy some of it. I just don’t want that content to be the MAIN STORY CONTENT.

I honestly don’t think I’m being that unreasonable here.

in Personal Story

Lutharr.1035

Being crap at GW2 dont bare you from the story. It just makes it harder. Ive come across stuff in story that was a pain in the hoop. Guess what. I died. Rezzed and ran right back into the fray. If this happens a few times I dont begrudge it, i accept it as part of being involved in saving the world.

Im a real hero! But make sure the enemies have rubber chickens for swords and remove their teeth.

in Personal Story

minbariguy.7504

Im a real hero! But make sure the enemies have rubber chickens for swords and remove their teeth.

Your sarcasm has been duly noted.

in Personal Story

Lutharr.1035

Your sarcasm has been duly noted.

While it is indeed sarcasm its also true.

Today all i kept getting in map chat was “where is Holgrave” over and over and over. And not just by warriors but all classes. Btw Holgrave is the dude that u see for your fancy Pact weapon on story completion. So folks saying its impossible are infact plain wrong. If it was then all these people wouldnt need to find that particular NPC.

in Personal Story

Xanatos Chimera.5029

Story is for the player, it’s instanced and kept separate.

There are plenty of other places to find hard challenges (WvW, PvP, soloing dungeons), getting snarky with casual players because they don’t want the arcady try-die-try-die cycle isn’t helpful and just glib. Great if you don’t have problems with the story as is. Good for you. Perhaps an option to choose your difficulty for story as we had for missions in GW1? Have Heroic, Normal, Easy. Those who like their games hardcore, can have the grindy, arcady challenge they want, those who want to complete the story without the hassle can choose Easy. It’s instanced specifically for the player, so no skin of anyone else’s nose if one player chooses Easy and the other Heroic.

in Personal Story

Lutharr.1035

Story is for the player, it’s instanced and kept separate.

There are plenty of other places to find hard challenges (WvW, PvP, soloing dungeons), getting snarky with casual players because they don’t want the arcady try-die-try-die cycle isn’t helpful and just glib. Great if you don’t have problems with the story as is. Good for you. Perhaps an option to choose your difficulty for story as we had for missions in GW1? Have Heroic, Normal, Easy. Those who like their games hardcore, can have the grindy, arcady challenge they want, those who want to complete the story without the hassle can choose Easy. It’s instanced specifically for the player, so no skin of anyone else’s nose if one player chooses Easy and the other Heroic.

Id have ZERO problem with that idea. But an overall nurf that ruins it for those still wanting a challange just to cater for the few that cant manage it is BS. If it was sooooo difficult as to be silly then yeah I could understand a nurf. But it isnt.

And fyi a casual player dont = bad player, or one that wants things made easier. Ive seen many insanely skilled players that only play casually while on the other end seen some shocking players that consider themselves hardcore.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Nope. I use a Razor Naga mouse and use the side number keys for my skills.

Regardless of how many people insist that they did it with no problems, the fact remains that many people have been quite vocal about the fact that they dislike the sudden surge of difficulty between regular PVE content and personal story missions.

Do you honestly not feel that the personal story missions are much more difficult than regular PVE content? And if you acknowledge that they are more difficult (regardless of whether or not that increase in difficulty prevented you, personally, from completing the content), then my question is simply: why must it be so? I want to enjoy the story for the plot twists and characters…not spend my time beating my head against my desk in frustration.

I do not acknowledge that they are more difficult. On a few occasions, I found the story missions to be a bit hard and I died a few times. That said, I have had the same experience with regular PvE content.

There is a great range from too easy to challenging in all aspects of open world PvE and personal story.

I have played Human Thief [Street Rat, Parents, Whispers] to 80, Asura Ele to 48 [Can’t remember?, Weather Machine, Whispers] Human Mesmer to 48 [Commoner, Circus, Priory] (and a few others below level 20)

At no point have I ever thought that anything in this game was too difficult (outside of a few story dungeons)

in Personal Story

minbariguy.7504

[snip]…getting snarky with casual players because they don’t want the arcady try-die-try-die cycle isn’t helpful and just glib.

Seriously, thank you for that, Xantos Chimera.

Perhaps an option to choose your difficulty for story as we had for missions in GW1? Have Heroic, Normal, Easy. Those who like their games hardcore, can have the grindy, arcady challenge they want, those who want to complete the story without the hassle can choose Easy. It’s instanced specifically for the player, so no skin of anyone else’s nose if one player chooses Easy and the other Heroic.

Excellent idea. I had forgotten all about the selectable difficulty levels in GW1. Good call.

[snip]…So folks saying its impossible are infact plain wrong.

Lutharr, I don’t know what makes you think that I disagree with that statement. I have never said that the story content was, to use your word, “impossible”. What I have been saying is that it is unpleasantly difficult, and frustratingly so. That isn’t even close to being the same thing as me saying it’s “impossible”. I’ve been going out of my way to state that you have a right to difficult content and that I don’t want all content nerfed to my level.

But hey, it’s cool. You’ve said your thing, I’ve said mine.

in Personal Story

Xanatos Chimera.5029

I used “casual player” as a general short-hand to cover a very broad group of players who have difficulties with the current challenge level of the Story missions for whatever reason. You can substitute “Players-who-have-difficulty-with-current-challenge-level” for “casual player” if that helps clear it up. I am lazy and don’t want to type the former out each time.

My selectable difficulty solution may be more complex to implement than a global nerf to Personal Story instances. As it stands in the game, while a global nerf to story would be sub-optimal, I would accept it, as there are plenty of other places to find challenges in GW2: I can try doing personal story missions under-levelled, or using only white level one gear. Or only using utility skills… or whatever. The players asking for a difficulty reduction in Story missions are not going to be also asking for it in PvE (the shared world means other players help out, which doesn’t happen in story, unless you bring a friend along), nor are they going to play PvP, WvW or the Dungeons, so there is plenty of challenge for the rest of us.

If a global nerf to Story difficulty while the other option is coded is what it takes, I’d have no problem with that. So, I have one area that becomes trivial for me, and it makes the game enjoyable for a bunch of other players who might otherwise quit and go for something else… that’s a price I’m quite willing to pay.

(edited by Xanatos Chimera.5029)

in Personal Story

minbariguy.7504

I was done with this thread (not in a huffy way, I just thought I’d said everything I needed to say) but then one more thing occurred to me.

I wanted to mention that it would even be okay if they left the damage output of the story content mobs at their current level, but buffed your npc companions so that they didn’t all immediately die and leave you fighting solo. I have a hard time believing that a group dirt nap for all your companion npc’s within the first 30 seconds of a battle was the design intent.

Okay, that’s it. That’s my feedback. I’ve said my piece.

Cheers.

in Personal Story

Posted by: mrsrachelm.7618

mrsrachelm.7618

Gee that was ever so helpful, thanks. Gotta love it when the game gods shower you with their oh-so-perfectness.

in Personal Story

Posted by: lotharic.9513

lotharic.9513

Another vote for “breaking the blade” being BS. Quinn wasn’t there for me, so I had to fight Doc Howler alone, and she stacks too many conditions. At level 10 I don’t really have any useful condition removal. She has too much health as well. Plus didn’t I just kill her in the previous mission?

in Personal Story

Lutharr.1035

Gee that was ever so helpful, thanks. Gotta love it when the game gods shower you with their oh-so-perfectness.

Never tried to say i was perfect at the game. But on the otherhand I aint a whiny cry baby that cant dodge and wants to spam 111111111 til a boss is dead.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Aefion.8719

Aefion.8719

I have to agree with the OP. Personal story has been criticized massively all over the internet, its the worst aspect of this game. The writing is terrible, the acting is shocking, and the missions are insane! I’m up to this one where my human has to fight a centaur warlord. I’m scaled down, and I should be able to walk over him, but I just can’t do it! It’s the most frustrating thing. It’s supposed to be my personal story, I shouldn’t have to ask couple friends in to help out. I don’t want to have to waste time asking my friend to help me out there when we could be doing something actually worthwhile and actually fun.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Taurethion.7302

Taurethion.7302

@ Aefion I remember that stupid horse, he kicks like a mule. Only way I was able to kill him was kiting and luck. Which was a bit disheartening for my melee warrior, but melee is kiss of death in Personal Story instances, heavy armor or no.

in Personal Story

Lutharr.1035

@ Aefion I remember that stupid horse, he kicks like a mule. Only way I was able to kill him was kiting and luck. Which was a bit disheartening for my melee warrior, but melee is kiss of death in Personal Story instances, heavy armor or no.

I didnt see that. My GS warrior blazed through it quite easily (the story as a whole not the mule as ive not seen that). And switching to bow/rifle to kite is fun

in Personal Story

Posted by: Drano.5487

Drano.5487

I just dont understand why like many other players are having so much trouble with these quests?

Why are some people saying “I died 1 time and I was 14 levels below that quest level” and other players are 14 levels above and can not do it?

Instead of changing each and every single quest why not put a option in to lower the difficulty? or add a buff in that instance? or nerf quests in general?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Polle.6908

Polle.6908

My experience with the personal story was quite patchy for the first 30 levels. Those ice elementals and ice dragons just fire everything at you at the same time and you basically get gibbed while the npcs get wiped out in seconds. What kept me going was the story which at that point was quite interesting. I probably died 5-6 times in the “trying to get my horn back quest”.

From levels 30 – 60 was probably the most enjoyable. Missions didn’t feel as hard, maybe because I got better at dodging nasty stuff and controlling groups of enemies. Also at this point most of my utility skills have been unlocked which play a vital part in your survival.

The last 10 levels, I grew abit tired of killing risen and the story kind of fell apart and became some what impersonal. No doubt the quests are easily solo-able and should not be a problem for seasoned gamers. I did not die once at this time.

The last mission to kill the dragon was abit disappointing. The group quest itself was ok. I found the airship sequences very annoying especially the parts where you have to man the guns to shoot down the dragons. Just giant red circles everywhere sending everyone up in the air just too frequently. I was also disappointed on the Zhaitan fight which became a 2 button job and the worms that spawn on the ship posed a bigger threat to your well being.

I love to see a continuation of the story in some way. I really want Tybalt to be alive coz I really loved the guy. If A.net did a good job on one something, it was your pact partner.

in Personal Story

Posted by: bodhy.9107

bodhy.9107

Personal stories are too hard period! If someone likes them as they are or wishes for harder get them difficulty slider!For the rest it should be easer!The amount of npc’s
spawning at those is too immense and they do way too much damage.
Players get enough combat from events and quests.Personal stories are about CHARACTERS not combat!

in Personal Story

Posted by: Naithsirk.5961

Naithsirk.5961

Personal story is difficult? Really? Its easy earned exp that is fun to do Ive had no problems with any personal story quest ever, lvl 80 guardian and lvl 80 engineer. Vigil and Whispers story line.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Taurethion.7302

Taurethion.7302

@Lutharr I’ve only managed to to finish most of my Personal Stories by kiting or hiding behind a mob of NPCs, plinking the enemy with arrows. Mind you, I hate greatswords with a fiery passion at this point. Trying to melee always got me squashed flat. Human noble with a missing sister who joined the Vigil, if it’s simply the options I’m choosing.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Ruien.9506

Ruien.9506

I have 4 chars now to 80 and I have the dungeon master title. At no time did i ever think anything in this game was hard. Is this me being an elitist? Nope. My point is you may need to stop and think " Maybe I am not a very good player and its me, not the game"

The minute you admit to yourself that its you is the minute you will begin to get better.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Sherpa.7901

Sherpa.7901

where are the good old days where the difficulty of a game made you scream, cringe your teeth, beat the living kitten out of your keyboard and yet you still had only yourself to blame, restart the level and after several horrifying hours raise your hands in triumph after a hard won fight. The game aint hard you just have to get your head straight and think about your skills (im not saying you dont do it), not all battles are easy.
ps: if my gf (who is a rather medicore gamer) can beat the whole personal story on a thief (that she traited and geared up herself) with limited knowlege of mmos then i seriously dont know what to say to the rest of you who played at least 2-3 mmos

in Personal Story

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

I didn’t find the story missions themselves prohibitively challenging (I was a Ranger, though, so I absolutely believe they can be for other classes,) but the issue I had was that the difficulty level seemed to swing wildly back and forth from easy to challenging back to easy etc., rather than gradually increasing in difficulty on a curve.

For example, I managed to solo Estate of Decay, but it took many deaths and a hefty repair bill. I found myself thinking, “If I’m struggling so much with this mission, I don’t know how I’m going to make it through the even harder ones that come after it.” Except… harder missions didn’t come after it. I don’t think I died a single time in a story segment between that mission and the final encounter in the Romke mission, and the Romke issue was mainly from not knowing what to expect and charging in too quickly.

So I think that as well as looking at whether individual missions are too easy or too hard, the developers also need to (when they get time) look at the continuity of progression. Ideally, missions should gradually get more challenging, rather than cycling back and forth between extremes. I think that way players would have a better idea of what to expect from their next mission, and would be able to plan accordingly.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

Eh, there’s a lot I miss about the “good old days”, but insanely difficult games are not on the list (as opposed to greater genre diversity, deep RPGs such as Ultima VI and VII, or many good now-defunct studios). Brutal difficulty for its own sake is not fun for many, especially in a hobby pursued for recreation from actual RL work and/or stress. Brutal difficulty for the sake of hiding a lack of content and artificially increasing playtime (and number of coins dumped in the arcade machine) is even worse.

The story arcs shouldn’t be a cakewalk, but neither should they be the place where the game suddenly decides to teach you a lesson. Have optional, open-world content for that. Story missions should focus on the story above all. Immersion, RP, choices and consequences, friendship and betrayal, triumph and tragedy. Just as most players wouldn’t want to be forced to jump through a hard PvP hoop before they can PvE, or vice versa, IMO a story mission should also mainly be able to be enjoyed for its own sake.

@Anakita: you have a good point there.

in Personal Story

minbariguy.7504

I don’t understand you people and your QQ and how “hard” the Personal Stories are.

Says the guy QQ-ing about how easy the personal stories are.

I suppose when other people request a change it’s “QQ”, but when you do it it’s just feedback, right? Mmkay.

Although it’s unfortunate that you can’t present your own view without disrespecting and insulting the views of others, the concept of a difficulty toggle for the personal story missions — though it has been already mentioned before by others-- is still a good one. I would support it. It would make everyone happy.

See how easy it is to compromise and find middle ground? And I didn’t even have to proclaim my hatred for you or insinuate that you were a dummy to do it.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Numot.3965

Numot.3965

I found the difficulty to be just right overall. I solo’ed it until the final part with the Arah dungeon and died once during rat-tastrophe.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

Some of you people are really irritating. A personal story is just that PERSONAL STORY.. You should not have to get help, you should be able to do it solo at any lvl with minimum difficulty. It is also so that you can see the story play out. I have ran into several steps in my story that was very difficult and ridiculously unrealistic. Sorry, but a army of 10 is not going to beat a army of 50+ risen and unlimited supply of giants. Taking anyone in your story should be for only 1 reason and that is just to play together, not because you could not beat it. And if they take out the unlimited rezing, then I will not do anymore of my personal story. Some of you people needs to understand what personal story means. It does not mean dungeon therefore it doesn’t need the difficulty of one. I do my story to see it play out, not to get stressed over the overwhelming odds which happens and then it’s no longer fun. So all you people stating you had no problem with your story are either lying or deluding yourself. Nobody’s avatar is a god in the game. If you did any part of the story I have done and tell me you had no problem I’ll know then you are lying.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

in Personal Story

Posted by: Benbrada.9824

Benbrada.9824

I’m having issues with the Level 24 portion of the “Dredge Assault” personal storyline for my Norn Guardian. The Dredges are never ending.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Sherpa.7901

Sherpa.7901

Eladriel.7295
Far from it that it was easy, but i find the challenge of it entertaining. It forces me to try harder for my prize and for all intents and purposes ( and the dieing in some cases) im enjoying it. Sure its frustrating sometimes (only when i run into a bug) but so far ive enjoyed every minute of the personal story (except the npcs in it, some of em are 100% brain dead weight what i have to drag around). oh and ive played sylvari story, witch as far as ive read is the hardest (dont know why)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

@Eladriel

I resent being called a liar.

I did personal story on my thief to 80 with little to no difficulty. Did I die ever? Yes. Did I die too much? No. Was I ever frustrated with difficulty? No.

I am now running through it with my elementalist and doing many of the same or similar quests. Either elementalists are ridiculously more powerful than thieves, I am much better at the game than before or ANet has downed the difficulty on these. Every mission is down-right easy now. (I am only lvl 27 on my ele granted.)

I think a difficulty option would be great, but would prefer if the story mission difficulty was chosen at character creation. Otherwise it would be too easy to tone down the difficulty when things get tough, and then I’d do it cuz it’s easy, but would regret it later.