Source of Orr, the Eye

Source of Orr, the Eye

in Personal Story

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

Dear Devs, what is with you and mobs HPs?
Seriously?

This fight was so far the most annoying fight in GW2.
Not because of how difficult it was, but because of how long it took.
If you are not creative enough / don’t have enough time to implement engaging mechanics, shave the HP. Repeating the same 3 phases and running across that big room endlessly from one side to another is BORING. NOT FUN.
I actually went for an extended afk with cooking dinner / watching series in the middle of the fight, this is how boring it is.

Are the aoe indicators in the phase with Mesmer’s skill effect on the ground invisible under water for a reason?
I do get why, it’s be totally trivial if they weren’t…

Also, are the respawn of the mobs on the way really necessary?
When the phases are still engaging (like, the first time you do them…) and you die trying to figure them out, wth must one kill the stupid mobs on the way again.
And where exactly do they come from if the cave entrance is guarded by the “pact’s finest”.

I am sorry for the aggressive post but I really have no compliments to give about this boss. Tedious, not engaging and takes forever.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Source of Orr, the Eye

in Personal Story

Posted by: Meshuggah.9103

Meshuggah.9103

Totally most annoying fight by far.. also very very annoying if you die mid fight, have to reset and do the 30 mins fight again.

Source of Orr, the Eye

in Personal Story

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

I reduced his health by roughly 50% in the 10/8 update.

Source of Orr, the Eye

in Personal Story

cherrie.8907

Thanks Jeffrey, good to know I won’t have to kill him again like that and that others won’t have to go through the same thing. Much appreciated.

Can you clarify the AoE indicators being invisible under water (“cripple” phase)? Is that by design?
Missiles also disappear in the middle circle, under water (they seem to be following the curvature of the floor).
Also, what’s your take on the respawning mobs on the way from entrance to the room? Are they really necessary?

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien

(edited by cherrie.8907)

Source of Orr, the Eye

in Personal Story

Posted by: klavshc.3546

klavshc.3546

How to tell you guys that this is a Kitten decision while still being courteous?

I absoutely loved the fight, and the length of it just lent it gravitas and meaning.

Source of Orr, the Eye

in Personal Story

Posted by: michael.7962

michael.7962

I do most of may damage through bleeds. When the eye teleports it becomes briefly invulnerable and wipes all conditions.

So, a little bleeding, then run all the way across the room and repeat. The fight isn’t difficult, but it’s going to take so long to do on my own, I’m just going to bring in some friends to take out this boss for me.

Source of Orr, the Eye

in Personal Story

cherrie.8907

klavshc, I can’t share your sentiment.
If you want, you can repeat the fight 3 times (you know, die when the eye is almost dead, or exit) and you’ll have the same thing.

The length doesn’t give it meaning nor gravity because the mechanics are trivial and boring. Once you figure them out (after you’ve done each phase once), they’re absolutely anticlimactic. The boss won’t even hit you once (unless you’re yawning).

-Mike Obrien

Source of Orr, the Eye

in Personal Story

Posted by: Zanryu.3417

Zanryu.3417

I found a very easy way to defeat the Eye in this quest, I’m not sure if it’s shown in any youtube videos or in a guide somewhere though.

When I fought the Eye I was doing virtually no damage, it took me 10 minutes to bring its HP down by around 20%, however, when it enters its storm phase (I’m not sure what it’s called, but I’m referring to when the Eye teleports to south-western part of the room and launches many small target storm-like AoEs) it sets up a few circles of white mist that keep you from being harmed by his attacks. There is one of those circles very close to the boss when in this phase, you can simply walk into it and launch any long/semi-long range attacks you have, even afk it on a macro and it’ll die since the circle is far enough away for it not to teleport but close enough that most attacks will hit.

I doubt this is intended, as it honestly makes the boss fight extremely easy, which is part of why I’m posting this method of beating him. That way if they don’t already, Anet will know about it, and possibly fix it.

Source of Orr, the Eye

in Personal Story

Posted by: bwlf.1369

bwlf.1369

My final fight is shown in the picture attached. He used one other phase, not the mind stab one, then teleported there and that’s how it went for the rest of the episode. Thankfully, I might add, because being crippled / knocked down / hitting an immune mob / running around trying to get to it for the majority of the fight isn’t interesting at all. There’s a lot of that in dungeons in general, but taking control away from the player is a bad mechanic IMHO, it just makes the word “frustrating” pop up often when talking about the fights. Having to start the whole thing again with the trash just adds to the annoyance.
I don’t know if the change is intended, I hope it is because that’s a good change, but in my story the main eye never shot those projectiles that the illusions shoot. I’ve just watched a few videos to see how it should’ve been and in all of them it did that.
I realize the wiki isn’t a source for official strat, but it says we’re supposed to get close to the eye in order to teleport it back to center where it can be hit. In fact, finding a spot like that one in one of the phases and NOT moving the eye is a lot better.
I wish I could do it again to see if it really is that bad or it’s just me being annoyed by not knowing the mechanics from the start, but right now I’m just glad it’s over and I can move on, doesn’t feel rewarding in any way.

Attachments:

Source of Orr, the Eye

in Personal Story

Posted by: Zanktus.9821

Zanktus.9821

I had a “funny” bug with this one, which made the boss VERY difficult to beat. But this bug was before the patches came (maybe 2 weeks ago).

Well at the phase where he spawns those 3 ghost eyes I died. While walking back to the room I noticed that those eyes weren’t targeting me anymore but shooting unlimitted orbs/balls/whatver on the floor through the whole room! And when I tried to kill them, it always said “invincible”.

The boss was still warping and attacking me, so I had to defeat him while those other eyes are spamming thos orbs all over the place.
That was the most difficult jumping puzzle I ever did, because I had roll/dodge, jump and attack the boss for about 20 minutes xD
It was a pain in the * but seriously entertaining. After the boss was dead those ghost eyes were still there killing the allies walking into the room. Even at the video where Mr. T. is using his big sword to clean the source, the eyes where killing everything. SO kitten funny, best bug ever!