Storyline Good and Bad Why not?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Unique.9351

Unique.9351

I was just casually champ farming when i just came with this brilliant idea! I mean i map and guild chat it and everyone said it was a good idea.

Why did you guys not give us an option to be good or evil? I mean think about it making a norn who is good or a norn who is an icebroad born? Another example, good asuran or inquest asuran? Good sylvari or nightmare court sylvari?

And it would have also benefit the storyline. If you were an icebroad norn, you could have been cleansed/ inquest asuran you decide to use your evil knowledge for good/ nightmare court pale tree speaks to you/cleansed? Then in the middle after the personal story, both side come together like all the races and armies and go against the elder dragon (UNITE AS ONE!!!!). I mean i woulda loved to have an icebroad norn.

Discuss please!!!

in Personal Story

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

The story of Guild Wars 2 is not about us. It’s about Trahearne, the Pact and Destiny’s Edge.

We are nothing, we are faceless, voiceless and never mentioned anywhere. We’re ‘The commander’, The ‘Lightbringer’, the ‘Warmaster’. Everything we do will never matter for the story, the writers are not skilled enough to implement that.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

The story of Guild Wars 2 is not about us. It’s about Trahearne, the Pact and Destiny’s Edge.

We are nothing, we are faceless, voiceless and never mentioned anywhere. We’re ‘The commander’, The ‘Lightbringer’, the ‘Warmaster’. Everything we do will never matter for the story, the writers are not skilled enough to implement that.

You must have a hard time watching movies…. since most of them don’t even remotely mention you.

That aside, it was kind of meh… I mainly didn’t like the ending, the fight with Zhaitian was very anticlimactic. I thought that fighting the paraplegic dragon that’s falling into a whirlpool in WoW (DeathWing) was bad…. Zhaitian was just really boring in the end. All we had to do is sit on the cannons and shoot at him, not even use our own weapons/skills.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Personal Story

Posted by: The Sixteenth.2561

The Sixteenth.2561

You will have some serious issues with going into your dungeon and kill your ex-friends.

To the guy who fisrt responded : you do play an important role, do you even read the cinematics ? If not push H and go read your personnal story and dare tell me that you made 0 decision, you made nothing impacting the story ? YOU made it happen, but as well as others, you were one of many gear that made it happen. You are not the center of the universe, you can’t do everything by yourself. Trahearne cleanse Orr because you motivated him to, the pact was formed because of you and trahearne so that they kill Zhaitan, you putted back together the Destiny’s Edge so they participed to the pact’s assault lead by Trahearne and you. The cooperation made the killing of Zhaitan possible, you made the cooperation possible.

(edited by The Sixteenth.2561)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

This is MMO.
Don’t expect AAA story, voice acting or cut scenes.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Apparently, generally speaking, “evil” characters are not popular in RPGs. When they do offer those choices they’re rarely taken, or relegated to “secondary” characters who are played less often.

That’s why Warcraft 3 was basically one massive ret-con scrambling to backtrack on 2 games that firmly established the Horde as evil invaders to Azeroth so they could reassure players that it’s ok to create an Orc, they’re not evil, they’re just misunderstood and are actually happy friendly nature lovers and…I’m going to stop now before I go off topic completely.

But basically the point is if you let players choose between being good or evil you’re splitting them into two sides and one is going to be a serious minority, and then that gives people even less incentive to choose that side. Ultimately it means you’ve wasted a lot of time and effort designing content that will almost never be played.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Personal Story

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

You must have a hard time watching movies…. since most of them don’t even remotely mention you.

Movies don’t involve me doing most of the work and being involved into the story by gameplay. It’s an MMORPG, yet I don’t feel that I play much of a Role.

in Personal Story

Danikat.8537

Are there any MMOs where your character is THE big hero who saves the world and is (going to be) remembered for it forever more?

I know that’s how it usually works in single-player RPGs but there they have the advantage that each player character is in their own copy of the world where no one else’s characters will ever appear. You can’t do that when your character is there alongside 4+ other peoples characters who also want to be the centre of attention and sharing the world with thousands or millions of others who are going to be playing through the same storyline. It doesn’t make any sense.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Sorry, I have bad news. You are not the hero, you are a catalyst for the story.
You are a redshirt in the bigger arc of events. You have no personal choices everything is set in stone.
The first story arc is the story of a salad man known as Trahearne. And a bunch of people who act like little kids known as Destiny’s Edge.

You will never be anything special. This is your story.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Konrad.9587

Konrad.9587

Not bad until you have to choose one of the three Orders, then average until Claw Island, after that just plain terrible.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

I was just casually champ farming when i just came with this brilliant idea! I mean i map and guild chat it and everyone said it was a good idea.

Why did you guys not give us an option to be good or evil? I mean think about it making a norn who is good or a norn who is an icebroad born? Another example, good asuran or inquest asuran? Good sylvari or nightmare court sylvari?

And it would have also benefit the storyline. If you were an icebroad norn, you could have been cleansed/ inquest asuran you decide to use your evil knowledge for good/ nightmare court pale tree speaks to you/cleansed? Then in the middle after the personal story, both side come together like all the races and armies and go against the elder dragon (UNITE AS ONE!!!!). I mean i woulda loved to have an icebroad norn.

Discuss please!!!

Well i guess if they made those options, then they would have to create a parallel ‘evil’ story for each race and work out how they would blend together as well much bigger character creation options, which means a lot of extra work and cost. Even in gw1, we were all too goody shoes, but then again u are in most games.

I’ve not played any MMO’s that allow players be evil except in Lotro’s MPvP, where Free People side plays against monster players, but i’ve yet to play the monster side, although many players do. Free to play players can only play monster side but most people do it for extra commendations, not necessarily because they want to be evil.

But i’m not averse to your idea, variety is spice of life, as they say.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

GW stories are pretty much just one big friendzone story.

in Personal Story

Danikat.8537

Even in single-player RPGs it’s very hard to write in evil characters. You either have to have 2 (or more) divergent storylines, somehow explain why this evil kitten is still going out of their way to save the world and help all these people along the way or leave it until right at the end when you do a big-twist ending where the hero suddenly turns on all their friends and becomes the bad guy.

Writing totally separate storylines is obviously a lot of work, especially if you want/need multiple points where players can make evil choices, instead of just committing themselves to a fixed path at one specific point. And as I mentioned earlier very few of your players will actually make use of that, so it seems like a lot of wasted effort.

Trying to explain an evil character doing good things never really works for me. It usually ends up just sounding ridiculous and your character comes across more like a selfish, obnoxious kitten than actually evil because the worst you can do is demand bigger rewards or tell everyone at every opportunity that you don’t actually want to help them…and then do it anyway.

And leaving it until the last moment when you suddenly decide to side with the bad guys? It’s interesting but kinda pointless since you still play the good guy through the rest of the game.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

This aspect of the story in gw2 could have been improved if they had just added ur character’s name to the written dialogue at least, if not the voice overs. I love that in Lotro, whenever u speak to a quest NPC, especially ones related to the epic storyline, your name is always written in the dialogue. It just makes it more intimate and personal imo and would have made a big difference had it been included here. I mean i see the name inclusion in official mail u get, your name is included in the story part of whatever it’s describing but the rest of the dialogue in the game is bereft of any personal acknowledgement of your character, or even remembering you for having done something.

It’s little things like these that make or break immersion and a sense of being the “hero” in a game, although i’m not sure how little or how much work it would have entailed to incorporate this into the story. Still, I think if a game like Lotro could have done it, so could have Anet, but it’s possible they just didn’t think of it and who knows, we may yet see it happen one day.

in Personal Story

Danikat.8537

This aspect of the story in gw2 could have been improved if they had just added ur character’s name to the written dialogue at least, if not the voice overs. I love that in Lotro, whenever u speak to a quest NPC, especially ones related to the epic storyline, your name is always written in the dialogue. It just makes it more intimate and personal imo and would have made a big difference had it been included here. I mean i see the name inclusion in official mail u get, your name is included in the story part of whatever it’s describing but the rest of the dialogue in the game is bereft of any personal acknowledgement of your character, or even remembering you for having done something.

It’s little things like these that make or break immersion and a sense of being the “hero” in a game, although i’m not sure how little or how much work it would have entailed to incorporate this into the story. Still, I think if a game like Lotro could have done it, so could have Anet, but it’s possible they just didn’t think of it and who knows, we may yet see it happen one day.

It’s funny how different personal preferences can be. If a game has voice acting and written dialogue I much prefer the two to match. I find it much more distracting if I’m reading my characters name and hearing “Warden” or “Lightbringer” or whatever. The mis-match acts as a huge reminder to me that what I’m really looking at is a computer generating text by filling in fields from a bunch of pre-determined boxes, one of which is my character’s name and that the technology to do that (well) with spoken dialogue doesn’t exist yet. I find it much easier to forget about that when the two match up.

There’s also the fact that what my character is called isn’t necessarily what everyone would call them in conversation, especially not their friends. I usually give my characters a first name and a last name, or a name and some kind of title. And that makes sense the first time they meet someone, or even when they haven’t seen each other in a while. But sooner or later I start wishing I could tell them to just use the first name, or even a shortened form of it.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kiayin.3427

Kiayin.3427

Discuss please!!!

Well i guess if they made those options, then they would have to create a parallel ‘evil’ story for each race and work out how they would blend together as well much bigger character creation options, which means a lot of extra work and cost. Even in gw1, we were all too goody shoes, but then again u are in most games.

I’ve not played any MMO’s that allow players be evil except in Lotro’s MPvP, where Free People side plays against monster players, but i’ve yet to play the monster side, although many players do. Free to play players can only play monster side but most people do it for extra commendations, not necessarily because they want to be evil.

But i’m not averse to your idea, variety is spice of life, as they say.

Lotro does the evil side justice. Seriously. It’s very limited, sure, but they set the atmosphere just right. I love collecting those tasty hobbit feet to feed our monster army. Evil laugh.

As far as GW2 is concerned.. most of it comes down to their design choice to keep the pvp in WWW, I guess. Sure, I’d love to play as an inquest asura or a nightmare sylvari, but it would be hard to implement. The lore doesn’t always allow it. The sons of Svanir and their misogyny is an issue, for example. How would you go about creating female norns? Gameplay wise, implementing different factions that are in conflict with each other would be a nightmare in a world that is supposed to be pure PvE, unless you keep their areas separate.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Maximus Delion.8719

Maximus Delion.8719

I’m not sure I’d go full-on evil, but they could have had an “ulterior motive” path to the story with the Pact. The “hero” path involves supporting Trahearne, building up his own self-confidence and convincing the Pact members to put their faith in him. In the “ulterior motive” path you use him as a figure-head leader — you convince the orders to follow him, but then you play upon his self-doubt and manipulate him to give you command authority over the orders. You know the other two orders won’t follow you directly, so you set Trahearne up as a figure-head so you can effectively command the Pact through him.

The actual mechanics and flow of the personal story missions would be exactly the same. But some of the dialog would be different, and it would put a completely different spin on the story and your character’s place within it. It would also address some people’s concerns about your character not being in the spotlight of your own personal story enough. In the “heroic” path, that’s because you’re focusing on helping Trahearne find the hero within himself. In the “ulterior motive” path, it would be because you’re intentionally trying to turn the spotlight away from yourself so people don’t realize exactly how much influence you actually have over the Pact.