The Mentors *SPOILERS!*

The Mentors *SPOILERS!*

in Personal Story

Posted by: faustus.8493

faustus.8493

So this is my rant about the mentors. Major story line spoilers, mostly for Vigil since that is the one I finished to the end with.

So you join the order and meet your mentor: Forgal Kernsson, Tybalt Leftpaw, or that plant chick whose name evades me. If you are like me, you start to connect to this NPC. I liked that fact that Forgal would very rarely need to be revived, unlike a certain NPC who shall remain nameless for now. He could fight and he really felt like a mentor. I was using a Norn Mesmer so the fact that Forgal was a Norn Warrior (Maybe?) really clicked with me. Unlike with Tybalt where he and my human were engineers…

I enjoyed the missions where I got help from Forgal. If I was being honest, then he was my favorite NPC of the entire game. I even changed my style of fighting to match his as closely as a Mesmer could. I figured that hiding behind my clones was a bad idea and Forgal was not as expendable as a clone.

Then along came Claw Island. That dragon showed up and I knew something awful was coming. Then Forgal began his talk about the heroic death and the odds. When he talked about his legacy I started to tear up. In all honesty I think I was crying when that door closed. I had lost the mentor who had literally changed the way I played the game.

To my horror the story gave me Trahearne as a partner. I had to turn my Mesmer from a damage build to as close to a tank build as I could get. Why? Because that wimpy plant could not take any damage. To keep him alive so he could do his freakish amounts of rituals required me to take all the aggro.

To make things even worse, the Pale Tree decrees that he is to lead us to victory! First, since when did the Norn listen to the Pale Tree? Or the Asura? I understand that part of the story is watching him grow from a scholar to a Marshal, but I would have made a better Marshal. I know they wanted a neutral party to lead them but I was making almost all of the decisions! Most of what the Pact does is because I told Trahearne to do it! So the Vigil was in fact in control.

I know that most of this could just be me being an idiot but that is what I thought.

“Why yes, I am that kind of Mesmer.”
~Aric Landvick
~Level 80 Norn Mesmer

The Mentors *SPOILERS!*

in Personal Story

Posted by: FateZero.8536

FateZero.8536

So this is my rant about the mentors. Major story line spoilers, mostly for Vigil since that is the one I finished to the end with.

So you join the order and meet your mentor: Forgal Kernsson, Tybalt Leftpaw, or that plant chick whose name evades me. If you are like me, you start to connect to this NPC. I liked that fact that Forgal would very rarely need to be revived, unlike a certain NPC who shall remain nameless for now. He could fight and he really felt like a mentor. I was using a Norn Mesmer so the fact that Forgal was a Norn Warrior (Maybe?) really clicked with me. Unlike with Tybalt where he and my human were engineers…

I enjoyed the missions where I got help from Forgal. If I was being honest, then he was my favorite NPC of the entire game. I even changed my style of fighting to match his as closely as a Mesmer could. I figured that hiding behind my clones was a bad idea and Forgal was not as expendable as a clone.

Then along came Claw Island. That dragon showed up and I knew something awful was coming. Then Forgal began his talk about the heroic death and the odds. When he talked about his legacy I started to tear up. In all honesty I think I was crying when that door closed. I had lost the mentor who had literally changed the way I played the game.

To my horror the story gave me Trahearne as a partner. I had to turn my Mesmer from a damage build to as close to a tank build as I could get. Why? Because that wimpy plant could not take any damage. To keep him alive so he could do his freakish amounts of rituals required me to take all the aggro.

To make things even worse, the Pale Tree decrees that he is to lead us to victory! First, since when did the Norn listen to the Pale Tree? Or the Asura? I understand that part of the story is watching him grow from a scholar to a Marshal, but I would have made a better Marshal. I know they wanted a neutral party to lead them but I was making almost all of the decisions! Most of what the Pact does is because I told Trahearne to do it! So the Vigil was in fact in control.

I know that most of this could just be me being an idiot but that is what I thought.

We all share the same horror of which is called Trahearne. I feel you.

The Mentors *SPOILERS!*

in Personal Story

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

I miss Forgal so much. I would gladly trade Trahearne to have him back.

The Mentors *SPOILERS!*

in Personal Story

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

I chose the vigil line too but my opinion is the complete opposite.

There I was a decorated Sylvari war hero and this uncouth Norn yokel had the audacity to call me a recruit? Me!? the character who was 12 levels higher than him and had 30 hours more combat experience than his zero hours of combat experience? If there were real RPG elements I would have killed the stinking knave for insulting me.

At that point I really couldn’t care less what he said and when he started giving his legacy speech on claw island my only thought was, “Thank god this guy’s unbearable trap is finally going to be permanently nailed shut.” And then he got replaced by my Trahearne.

My poor Sylvari probably thought she was stuck in an episode of the Twilight Zone.

The Mentors *SPOILERS!*

in Personal Story

Posted by: JohnLShannonhouse.1820

JohnLShannonhouse.1820

Trahearne is pretty tough. The problem is missions with NPCs are scaled up, so if they go wrong the NPCs will get ganked no matter how tough they are, and you got to work through them. I gnereally focus more on keeping the NPCs alive than killing and they work out. Most of the time…

Why would a Norn listen to the Pale Tree? The same reason a Norn would agree to listen to non-Norn Orders. It might have something useful to tell you.

Why was your Norn not impressed with the the Pale Tree? She had just shown you a vision of the future, let you talked with a centuries-dead king and showed you the layout of Zhaitan’s home turf. Furthermore, you are talking to a single being who had spawned an entire race. Not the ancestor of an entire race. The sole parent of an entire race. If a Norn is not impressed by those feats, then I question if your character thinks like the typical Norn. The Pale Tree is skald A-list material.