The Orders: Your opinion

in Personal Story

Posted by: Sirevanac.3178

Sirevanac.3178

Well this is just a thread to take other points of view of how we see the 3 orders. No looking for a discussion or anything like that, just your thought of how you see these three orders.

This is mine:

-Order of Whispers: Ok i’ve got this costumes we can use to go just through the front door, take what we need and leave smoothly.
-Durmand Priory: I have this shield that theoretically works, and should help us if any problem comes out.
-Vigil: Wtf lets just kill everything

Your thoughts?

in Personal Story

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

everything i needed to know on the three orders was (re)presented perfectly by Forgal, Sieran and Tybalt

their attitude and personality just brought life to the orders

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

in Personal Story

Posted by: Toxyn.9608

Toxyn.9608

I chose the Order of Whispers since they get efficient results. Not to mention that being part of a secret society is always fun.

“The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy.”

Antonius Duarte – Elementalist – Kaineng

in Personal Story

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

I chose the Durmand Priory mainly because of two things: One, I am an elementalist (Scholar-like) and Two, Sieran and the way the durmand priory deals with things are awesome.

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

in Personal Story

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

I have played through OoW first, since I’m a GW1 player and Nightfall was my favorite campaign. I just had to. And I was not disappointed, their missions were fun and all characters likable (Tybalt <3).
I chose Durmand Priory next, since I’m interested in history and quite scholary myself. Their missions were fun, the characters not. Sieran was so annoying, that I was almost glad I lost her at Claw Island… only to remember that Trahearne is her replacement…
Haven’t played Vigil yet, since I hold no connection to them or their plans, but I heard Forgal is supposed to be a good character (I expect no less from a Norn!).

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Lechtrixx.1053

Lechtrixx.1053

I’ve initiated characters into all three of the orders, each with their own challenges. However I tend to favor the Order of Whispers since it’s been around longer “historically”. The other two seem more as recent creations since the dragons awakened.

Dru Windshadow: Human: Ranger lvl 80
San Twocut: Human Thief lvl 80
Djorn Wolfson: Norn Guardian lvl 80

in Personal Story

Posted by: Martacus.4085

Martacus.4085

Personally, I find the string-pulling “just as planned” way that the OoW deals with everything to be kind of offputting.

I dunno, I’m sure plenty of people have that semi-annoying friend who thinks they’re some kind of manipulative mastermind but are really just inept…that’s the OoW to me.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The Order of Whispers seems a bit too open about their presence and actions in GW2, in my opinion. A secret organisation of spies, assassins and “string-pullers” should never make their presence known, or let on that they are working behind the scenes. To my mind, if a Whispers agent does his job right, nobody would know that he’s done anything at all.

I respect the Vigil’s straight-forward attitude and methods, although I also think they can be a bit reckless at times. I completely agree with the Priory’s creed that “Knowledge of your enemy is the key to victory”, but I dislike how so many of their quests are “Let’s use our completely untested device/spell/ritual to save the villagers!” Are you kidding me?! That is NOT the way to introduce new weapons to the battlefield. You field-test it in a safe, controllable environment first! I simply cannot condone trusting the lives of innocents to something that has no guarantee it won’t simply blow up in their faces.

In short, all three Orders have their uses, but are flawed. Pity you can’t usurp Trahearne’s position as Marshall and rule the Pact yourself. :P

in Personal Story

Posted by: Lechtrixx.1053

Lechtrixx.1053

Well, we are actually placed in that position after Trahearn completes his wyld hunt. He commits all the pacts resources to your cause. So in effect, you become the warmarshall.
I have to agree with the testing of weapons. I’ve been in several scenes with different characters that seemed to be the brunt of some obnoxious experiement that we would have to clean up. Priory “intelligence”, and Asuran “genius” especially were typically unpleasant bedfellows.

Dru Windshadow: Human: Ranger lvl 80
San Twocut: Human Thief lvl 80
Djorn Wolfson: Norn Guardian lvl 80

in Personal Story

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

The Vigil set out to kill Zhaitan.

The other Orders wanted to deal with it some other way.

Turns out we killed Zhaitain.

Go Vigil!

Plus, the Vigil mentors beats the other two.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Killul.9685

Killul.9685

Well, we are actually placed in that position after Trahearn completes his wyld hunt. He commits all the pacts resources to your cause. So in effect, you become the warmarshall.
I have to agree with the testing of weapons. I’ve been in several scenes with different characters that seemed to be the brunt of some obnoxious experiement that we would have to clean up. Priory “intelligence”, and Asuran “genius” especially were typically unpleasant bedfellows.

It’s not our cause it is the Pact’s cause. Everyone else in the Pact is focused on killing Zhaitan, Trahearne is the only one that pritoises cleansing Orr over killing Zhaitan.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Galrenmar.7025

Galrenmar.7025

The Order of Whispers: I liked them, mostly because my character is a very quiet person and doesn’t see the point of being the center of attention.

Durmand Priory: Not as impressed. They were far too indecisive and uncertain. I mean, they’ve admitted that they don’t even know if their MacGuffin will work. Way to inspire confidence, guys…

The Vigil…hmm…far too militaristic for my tastes. Though I can see the logic in calling for an up-front confrontation, they were just too ‘charge blindly in and hope we’re not all dead in an hour’, and that just makes them look hotheaded.

The Order of Whispers was my choice, because they struck the right balance between the three— they don’t rush in without a clear plan, and they don’t rely on untested magical devices to solve their problems.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

You are aware that The Vigil has thousands of Strategists and Tacticians, right?

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Rie.6789

Rie.6789

I thought they all had good ideas, the Pact was the right way to go. I picked methods from all 3 of them in the quests before being forced to join one.

Now that I’ve tried each of the 3 paths, one 3 different characters, I have to say I prefer the Order of Whispers path, simply from the game difficulty. The Vigil path has some insanely difficult quests in it, though a lot of that comes down to making the correct choice. The Priory has a jumping puzzle that I really hated, I had to resort to getting someone else to do that portion for me. I had trouble in some spots with the Whispers path, but overall, I enjoyed it more. I wasn’t stuck with a puzzle that I didn’t have the skill to beat, and I didn’t hit a quest where I came out of it naked because all my gear was destroyed.

All are worth trying once though, I liked Tybalt and Sieran a lot, and Forgal was decent too. All of them better than most of the other NPCs you meet

in Personal Story

Posted by: JohnLShannonhouse.1820

JohnLShannonhouse.1820

It is straightforward if you are playing a charr. Blood Legion fights straight up, Iron Legion invents, Ash Legion subverts and Vigil fights straight up, Priory invents and Whispers subverts. I liked all 3 after joining them. However, I found Priory off-putting when Gixx said my Asura did not think like an Asura, and my Asura expressed very non-Asuran attitudes about using inventions* (kind of like when Trahearne lectures my human characters on human culture).
*compared to what was said in the Snaff’s prize competition

I found all 3 problematic in racial storylines. Usually the one I wanted to join had the stupidest plan in the last mission (Priory defend Queen mission in human line bugged, too, the risen had killed all the support by the end of the cutscene). Often I did not understand why we had to choose one when we could have easily done 2 plans at no extra risk, or even reduced risk. Why not have Vigil soldiers and Priory Mortis Dirge defending the Queen?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Rie.6789

Rie.6789

Which is why I think the choice of the Order you join should NOT be attached to the quests, as others have mentioned in a different post. Sometimes, the best plan at the time isn’t from the Order you are with.

in Personal Story

Posted by: BunnytheSwordsman.4173

BunnytheSwordsman.4173

I also feel like the rcruiters are sometimes terrible represenativs of their order. xD For instance, the Order of Whispers and Priory guy in the human story didn’t convince me enough.

Whispers: “CUNNING! CUNNING! CUNNING!”
Priory: “Let’s use this untested device to save children!”
Vigil: “Let’s just go save those kids.”

While for my Norn, Whispers and the Priory both had good representatives. Thurkal was just terrible.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Yinello.7068

Yinello.7068

Durmand Priory seem way more archeologists than scholars. They whoop out these magical ancient devices out of their behinds and somehow they work without destroying everything despite being untested.

Order of Whispers is way too obvious to be a secret order. Everyone knows of them, they wear clothing that’s rather obvious to spot, even outside their hideout and letting newbies save hostages? Kind of dangerous.

Vigil was all about attacking. Let’s attack them, let’s take them head on! Let’s storm in! Never mind that randomly charging into an enemy base that holds hostages might cause them to kill the hostages but eh, details.

With that said, I LOVE all the orders. I really wish I did more with them before the whole Pact thing took over.

Ginni Gruesome, Necromancer of the College of Synergetics

in Personal Story

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Order of Whispers. Only the cool illuminati kids are allowed in the conspiracy cave.

I think all the orders are charming in some way, but Trahearne denied them the right to shine like they should.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Personal Story

Posted by: JohnLShannonhouse.1820

JohnLShannonhouse.1820

“Order of Whispers is way too obvious to be a secret order. Everyone knows of them, they wear clothing that’s rather obvious to spot, even outside their hideout and letting newbies save hostages?”

It might help if you looked from the perspective of the average Tyrian. You were introduced to an Order representative, so they were not so secret to you. Just because people know a secret group exists doesn’t mean they know where to find them. I have heard of the Hong Kong mafia. They are still secret to me. The Order wore recognizable outfits while working with the Pact. Although Tybalt was a newbie, your character was not and had just run a series of successful missions. Tybalt knew the Order, but your character knew how to rescue people. Furthermore, you should consider the possibility that they thought Beetlestone was lost and sent out a couple of expendables to try and find her just in case she was not. Tybalt also went ahead with a rescue although he probably should have reported back to Order HQ.

“somehow they work without destroying everything despite being untested”

This has a long tradition in comics, many kinds of science fiction, in fantasy and on TV shows such as A-Team and McGuyver. It is just running with the genre. In real life this would be a very, very bad idea.

(edited by JohnLShannonhouse.1820)