The Sylvari: Poorly Written or Truly Evil?

in Personal Story

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Does anyone else get the impression that the Sylvari are incredibly narrow minded? Caithe especially; upon discovering that there may be other Sylvari descended from another Tree, can only assume how alien and heretical they might be. The Nightmare Court are no better, on the one hand they reject the Pale Tree’s authority, but then go right ahead and devote their lives to believing in and causing misery and pain.

I get the impression through art style and voice acting that the Sylvari are supposed to be proper, elegant and respectful. I can’t decide whether this is yet another symptom of Guild War’s nonsensical writing, or if Arena Net genuinely intended the Sylvari to be a race of Hannibal Lecters.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Golgathoth.3967

Golgathoth.3967

Well, the two examples you have are the only narrow minded Sylvari I can really think of. Caithe and Faolain (nightmare court in general) both have some deep seated issues…
Almost all the other Sylvari, player character included, seem pretty accepting of things. Caithe is pretty much just a downer.

Sylvari: 7 Humans: 3 Charr: 2 Norn: 1 Asura: 0
“Tarnished Coast” since head start!

in Personal Story

Posted by: Ten.8421

Ten.8421

Uh… Caithe is a single individual who has a ton of issues due to her painful past experiences.

The Nightmare Court are a purposefully twisted, evil faction that you battle wherever you find them.

How you can read out of that that the Sylvari race is just a bunch of ‘Hannibal Lecter’s is beyond me.

Gamut Gaming Group [GGG], an inclusive non-oppression, non-prejudice, non-normativity group.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

I might be spoiling a future plot twist with that suggestion (so you may stop reading if you want), but there is a rumour that the Pale Tree is actualy an Elder Dragon or an Elder Dragon Champion, the Sylvari are the soldiers, and the reason it helps the world of Tyria rather than attacking it, is because of Ventari’s Teachings. The tree growed up near a team of centaurs and humans who got fed up with the endless wars and decided to leave in piece every day. A Centaur named Ventary wrote a tablet with commandments, that the tree embraced and the sylvari that were born later are consider it their bible.

This rumor is enhanced with the motives of the Nightmare court being so evil remain a mystery, yet they say that their ways are the natural ones.

The rumor is enhanced even more with the Infinite Coil Reactor building in the Mount Maelstrom (the building with the entrance to CoE). The building is supposed have been builded by the Inquest to harness the Elder Dragon’s Energy, and the various rooms arround it suggest the theme of eact dragon.

• There is a room with corrupted crystals suggesting Kralkatorrik.
  • There is a room with corrupted Ice suggesting Jormag.
  • There is an under construction room that it’s named blue and it’s empty, yet it clearly has water pipes coming from above, suggesting a future use for the Deep Sea Dragon.
  • There is a room with undead theame suggesting Zhaitan.
  • There is a room with hot rocks and lava suggesting Primordus
  • Finally there is a green room similar to the Sylvari area, suggesting a 6th Nature Dragon we haven’t heard of yet!!!

I think this deserves it’s own topic…

…and don’t be toxic!