Trahearne: I personally find him to be probably worst character. :SPOILERS:

in Personal Story

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I played a charr and I was really excited by his character when I first met him. It was probably because I had read the lore blogs on the sylvari yonks back and he seemed like an interesting person to be involved with, one of the first born and an unusual one who spent so much time in Orr. It signified a turning in my personal story. Then I went with him to Orr (kinda cool) and felt like I was involved in some kind of prophecy type thing. They established him as a scholar, not a leader or a fighter, and called on him to take on Zhaitan as well as giving him some mystical sword (I still have no idea what’s going on with the sword or why it’s special, but at the time I thought it was cool). All this seemed really cool and then… nothing. It just drops off, all that build up and it feels like I’m playing a shooter game where I’m sent on mission after mission then I return to base for my next orders. Trahearne shows no signs of any ongoing development, he’s already where they want him to be. It’s almost like the writers thought, “we wrote him as the leader of the Pact but we have no background for him” so they just wrote that dream quest one to stuff in all of these details which don’t really seem to matter, he doesn’t really seem to go anywhere.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Ewok.7612

Ewok.7612

Hi there thought I’d return and stress a few points. For those stating that we as players are dissatisfied because of a focus on a new protagonist as the story develops could not be more wrong. I thought Anet’s idea to make your character a team player rather than the “Chosen One” archetype was not only a good idea but quite original. However, the writers who developed the post order quest lines did so rather poorly. I don’t need to repeat the tremendous amount of evidence already posted here by those who agree with me.

Trahearne clearly states the Commander (you) is the only one he can trust to be his 2nd in command. How does this moment develop? That is a tremendously significant statement seeing as he has truly remarkable characters to form his war council. However, once again he lets that relationship become meaningless. Not once does he show any doubt, never does his conviction seem strained.

A hero is not defined by how perfect he is to begin with. A hero proves himself through adversity. Trahearne approaches the siege of Orr like an easy mode game of Guitar Hero.

On a side note @Kromulous that screenshot made me laugh so hard, not even kidding.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

To be honest, I thought he would pull a Vizier Khilbron near the end of the story, since he just seemed TOO nice and helpful!

I really hope ANET ties him with the nightmare court as some epic plot twist because many players would not mind beating him up.

Come to think of it, was Trahearne EVER necessary for the plot? Besides cleansing Orr (What I assume the Pale Tree sword’s purpose) couldn’t the plot have gone exactly the same without him? Exactly the same? I really just don’t see what could have happened that only Trahearne could have done.

Luckily the story isn’t finished yet, and we still have other dragon expansions to go. So this should be salvageable.

I think Trahearne would have been more likeable if we actually knew more about him. We knew he’s a first born, and that he has a cool sword. We also know he spent time in Orr. Now where is the backstory to all this? We know nothing about him! He’s just some guy who randomly trusts the player character, who randomly owes an order a favor.

He doesn’t even help you during the Zhaitan fight! He just quits and doesn’t what to do with himself after his Wyld Hut!

Even Master Togo was more developed than Trahearne because he has a huge backstory! But we don’t know anything about Trahearne!

I have no problem with another character in the story to fight alongside, but I think Tybalt should have leaded the pact. That would have been a much more inspirational story considering Tybalt’s background as a coward rising up to a front-lines commander.

(edited by Kain Francois.4328)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Nottix.7864

Nottix.7864

I really like Lord Faren…

LOL. I agree somewhat. I really wish the level 1-10 quests would of went into depth to 80 and beyond. I thought me and Petra and her father would of had more story thann the first 4 quests. Now they just say the same thing in home instance. Those npcs/quests interested me more and just went downhill more and more past 10.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

Making Trahearne the hero that’s destined to save Kryta is like making Kif Kroker the Jedi that brings balance to the Force.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

in Personal Story

Posted by: Tinni.4351

Tinni.4351

Well Trahearne is a Sylvari. I mean, my newly born Sylvari is hell of a lot more mature then Logan and Zojja put together. Maybe even Rythlock on a bad day. I mean, he’s a necro and necro’s use greatswords. So nothing magical about him being able to use that weapon. He’s leadership is probably innate due to what he learnt in the dream. Probably not a explanation that will satisfy people but I am happy to go with the flow. I mean, okay, he’s no Tybalt-I-love-apples-Leftpaw or even a Magister-it’ll-be-cherry-Sieran but he’s not that bad! Now Logan on the other hand…

My brain is shagging under the weight of changes… having six characters was not a good idea!

(edited by Tinni.4351)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Penguin.9482

Penguin.9482

I think the problem is Anet made really likeable characters and then killed them off at Claw Island and replaced them with bland Trahearne.

in Personal Story

Posted by: cygnus.8913

cygnus.8913

I want to take an offhand torch and create a little roast Trahearne. The character is simply not believable at all – lines are acted like a cross between a male Keira Knightley and Kristen Stewart. The voice doesn’t suit the character at all. He’s a wet noodle I’ve spent so much time ressing in my personal storyline that I ought to have an achievement and reward chest for the trouble. I was hoping that the plot would kill him off and make him interesting, but nooooo.

“Moving on!”

in Personal Story

Posted by: Archvonbaron.7856

Archvonbaron.7856

Don’t forget there are 2 more continents and 2 or 3 more Eldar Dragons kicking around so A-Net will likely learn from the mistakes they made and the next addition to the story will be better.

As for Trehearne he has the most flat voice acting ever, most other Sylvari seem to be excited by everything but Trehearne has no emotion what so ever. Is he a robot sent back from the future or some such?

I really want to take my Charr’s warband to Elona to kill Palawa, become boss Sunspear and maybe save everyone else. But becoming Boss Sunspear is more important. :P

in Personal Story

Posted by: Rarespawn.6028

Rarespawn.6028

Maybe they did a bad job of introducing him for other races? I play as Sylvari and I LOVED him as a character! He was introduced to you by like the third quest or so.

It is explained that it is his Wyld Hunt to lead the pact and ultimately slay the dragon.

Mesmer 80, Elementalist 80, Guardian 80, Ranger 40

in Personal Story

Posted by: Adena.1027

Adena.1027

I finished the personal story last night. I have to say, between the 50-80 questline, I absolutely hated the guy. He came from nowhere and took over my story like he was supposed to be someone important. It would have been nice to have referenced him earlier in the story for the other races or SOMETHING that would have given him justification for being a ‘hero’. But his transition from scholar to marshal felt way too forced.

By the last dungeon and versus the Sovereign Eye of Zhaitan, only then did his role feel more sidelined over my own.

But for the majority, 30 quests or more worth of it, I felt he was an intrusive character with a rather wooden personality.

Only the ending of Arah, really turned over my opinion of him. I really think the problem was either the rushing of the story, or the fact he is, personality and dialect wise, a very inconsistent character.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Metadigital.9426

Metadigital.9426

I considered Trahearne to be one of the most interesting and developed character in the personal story. I didn’t find him to be particularly interesting nor developed, though. He merely had the leisure of existing in a sea of characters even more bland and shallow than he was. Even my own character had no depth or growth throughout the story, which is sad, as that was the whole point of the story in the first place.

Did anyone else laugh at Trahearne’s “loss of faith” moment? I was starting to think that the game was supposed to be taken as satire from that point on. The ending certainly didn’t show otherwise.

in Personal Story

Posted by: pyronix.4081

pyronix.4081

@riku: "Came outta nowhere and feels weak: Well, for Sylvari, he doesn’t. "

Actually, he did come out of nowhere, even for the Sylvarri personal story. After you do the initial stag/crescent moon/green knight quest line, the Pale Tree avatar suddenly infroms Caithe that some dude named Trahearne has just come from Orr and without so much as a hi hello he starts taking over your personal story.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Nexi.1297

Nexi.1297

Zhaitan saying “Trahearne, I am your father” definitely couldn’t harm the story telling about Trahearne….
(edit)
The more I think about it: it would be an improvement
(edit)

While I think a good story could tolerate even one or two weak characters, I find the association of the different story lines really weak:
As a Sylvari character you know Trahearne almost from the very beginning of the game. But after Claw Island you consistently get the same dialogs as every other race: just met Trahearne, never saw him before…

This culminated yesterday when he suggested to use an orrian mirror to set up a trap… “We have an orrian mirror …”
“Oh really? I was the one who recovered that kitten mirror!”

At this point the game just told me “Nothing you did so far was really important.”

(edited by Nexi.1297)

in Personal Story

Posted by: RavenDaughter.1857

RavenDaughter.1857

One of the things that seriously, intensely, and persistently gets straight up my nose is that Trahearne is apparently “the greatest living expert on Orr”.

He is a sylvari Firstborn. That means that HE IS TWENTY-FRICKING-FIVE YEARS OLD.

TWENTY. FIVE.

Yes, sylvari are “born” as adults, with the sort of collective memory that means they aren’t confused about basic things like “walking” and “proper thumb operation” and “pants”, so technically his entire life has presumably been spent studying the subject, but . . . short of drilling a hole in my head and replacing important bits of my brain with cotton candy, it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to believe for ONE SECOND that there aren’t, say, Priory scholars who’ve been studying and exploring Orr that long or longer. The average player character asura/charr/human/norn might be older than 25, for crying out loud.

When it came time for my sylvari elementalist to figure out what to do about the Orrian mirror, in fact, I went with “let’s talk to the asura about it” for this exact reason. Trahearne, yeah, Firstborn, whatever—excuse me while I consult the person who might well be OLDER AND MORE EXPERIENCED THAN MY ENTIRE RACE, thank you.

Finding out that all of my elementalist’s past accomplishments have apparently been “hijacked” by frigging Trahearne, who will also be consistently hijacking them in the future, is depressing to say the least.

in Personal Story

Posted by: StormcrowX.9236

StormcrowX.9236

Trahearne is to guild wars 2 what Kormir was to Nightfall.

You are not one of their “most dedicated players”. Don’t worry, neither am I apparently.
-NaughtyProwler.8653

in Personal Story

Posted by: Sharpclaw.7510

Sharpclaw.7510

Say what you will about TOR but at least choices I made came back in the end. As a Jedi, people I saved came to my aid. As a BH, people came after me because of who I killed.

With this story, the first 2/3rds is really interesting. Heck, it’d be enough for the story to be expanded considerably in the “Order” phase of it. Give us even more time with our mentor. Make the Order really interesting. Have a longer subplot with that. Give us the forming of the pact and you can even have Trahearne but making him this destined figure is the major issue. It seems amazingly unfitting and the arc of his character feels off.

in Personal Story

pyronix.4081

Zhaitan saying “Trahearne, I am your father” definitely couldn’t harm the story telling about Trahearne….
(edit)
The more I think about it: it would be an improvement
(edit)

I LOL-ed in real life when I read this. I know GW2 has a lot of things that need fixing ASAP but I hope somewhere down the line they retcon this guy out or something. I can’t speak for the other Sylvarri players but as a Sylvarri, I really don’t like this guy. I was very happy with my personal story until he showed up. The other characters are way more interesting and less annoying compared to this lettuce face.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

At first I didn’t mind the character so much, even kind of liked him, but later in the story I found the focus on him became too much and took away from my character’s story.
I feel they somewhat made the same mistake they did with Nightfall. Have one character be superior to your player character and take the credit for what you and the rest of the NPC’s does for himself.
In several missions Trahearne bugged out and didn’t follow me on the missions. Had to kick monster butt all by myself and at the end of the mission he still gets credit for mission completion, it just feels kind of crappy.

I’d like to see a bigger focus on my player character next time (following expansion or something). I really don’t mind NPC sidekicks, as long as they aren’t infinitely superior to my character and take all the credit for what I do.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Lol you beat me to it! I wouldn’t say the worst character and was going to post this in another thread but wanted to mention that Trahearne seems more like the star character than my own (he even gets a certain sword that shows the devs are FFX fans I like that game too and the shout out is cool but…) because he gets handed the sword (to be fair elementalists can’t use greatswords anyway) and feels more important. Also, he’s a boring character whereas Tybalt was an awesome character with memorable lines and a personality, and was just a likable goof you looked forward to adventuring with along with his “unorthodox” methods.

in Personal Story

Posted by: riku.2091

riku.2091

No quote button, so…
Pyronix:
@riku: "Came outta nowhere and feels weak: Well, for Sylvari, he doesn’t. "

Actually, he did come out of nowhere, even for the Sylvarri personal story. After you do the initial stag/crescent moon/green knight quest line, the Pale Tree avatar suddenly infroms Caithe that some dude named Trahearne has just come from Orr and without so much as a hi hello he starts taking over your personal story.

I fail to see how that is coming out of nowhere. What kind of introduction did you want? His entire 25 year life story? And I’m playing a new Sylvari char. I’ve played through all three of their lines. He does give you an introduction, to my memory.

And someone asked why he was an expert if he was only 25? Well…he spent a lot of time in Orr, and Sylvari have been noted to have a inborn interest in death. So it does make sense. If your goal is to cleanse a place, and you spend a lot of time there, it would make sense you’re an expert on it.

in Personal Story

Posted by: TempestMoon.5403

TempestMoon.5403

I feel like in some capacity Trahearne will end up being a villain in an expansion.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Vorpal.4683

Vorpal.4683

I have no problem being upstaged by an NPC. In fact I find this more interesting than the usual “you are the awesome chosen hero” routine.

I just wish that NPC to be interesting and well developed.

I was enjoying my vigil storyline up to claw island. I quite liked my mad eyed norn bro and how he cheered up the angry quaggan by telling him it was ok he was ugly, what counts is how well you fight!

Then on claw island trahearne gets introduced and it seems like kind of a big deal but I’ve never even heard of this guy before and nothing he did wowed me. He isn’t even visually interesting: all green and gray. I kept losing him into the scenery in orr (which is also all green and gray). His voice acting is a little… meh

I would have expected the leader of my order to have played a part at that point, but no…it’s like the vigil ceased to exist, I became a generic member of a generic order following trahearne around, who wasn’t even interesting.

Trahearne could be more interesting. He’s a necromancer that studied in orr right? Why couldn’t he be somewhat dangerously eager for the power and knowledge of the ancient orrians – yes he’s using this knowledge to defeat them now, but is it all going to be smooth sailing?

Having him be Mr Green Spock is also somewhat deadening on the storyline.

in Personal Story

pyronix.4081

No quote button, so…
I fail to see how that is coming out of nowhere. What kind of introduction did you want? His entire 25 year life story? And I’m playing a new Sylvari char. I’ve played through all three of their lines. He does give you an introduction, to my memory.

Well apart from the “Hi I’m a firstborn who spent all my time in Orr and now I’m back,” there’s really no compelling reason as to why I should have anything to do with this guy in the first place. He was just deus ex machina-ed into the story.

It’s like watching a Star Trek movie with the Borg on the verge of winning when all of a sudden Arnold Schwarzenneger comes into the scene and without really much explanation other than “I used to be a Borg but I escaped the colective and now I’m back” and suddenly takes over the whole plot.

It makes NO puppying sense (I like puppies more than kittens).

in Personal Story

Posted by: BatteryBiscuits.1573

BatteryBiscuits.1573

I had no problems with the storyline itself but I am glad that you amde constructive critisicm for Traherne. I heard way too much arguments about ’’it’s all about traherne or i’m no longer the chosen one or Traherne is just like kormir stealing the glory at the end(really…?) ‘’, or etc. He did appeared a bit flat and emotionless on parts of the game when normally you’d be panicking or at least alive when confronted with decisions or consequences.

in Personal Story

Posted by: BatteryBiscuits.1573

BatteryBiscuits.1573

Trahearne is to guild wars 2 what Kormir was to Nightfall.

I’m sorry but I partially disagree with your statement, if traherne was truly what kormir was, you’d see people at the end of the story quests celebrating Traherne while you’re left out of the picture, kinda like how Kormir got ascended to godhood and stole the glory for just following you around doing nothing while blind.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Loki.4871

Loki.4871

“Hi I’m back from Orr”
The ‘full of Giant Dragon And His Undead Minions That Kill Everything’ Orr? The one that requires three orders and a full scale invasion to arrive in? I must have missed this bit in the storyline, because it seems a bit strange that he could go there, study things and take notes and whatnot, then come back without any mention/suggestion that he died.

in Personal Story

Posted by: jaish.7925

jaish.7925

I’m not a fan of Trahearne, either. Worse, he’s a pet that seems to have taken over my story. I went from “Yeah! Let’s see what the next chapter unveils!” to just going through the motions of the story for the XP.

Playing second fiddle to an asparagus, in both appearance and personality, is less than stellar.

I have to agree with you. It was alright when he first got introduced and they told me I would be seeing a bit of Trahearne throughout my story. I was thinking that would be ok, whatever. Then he was always there, always boring, always unbelievable and I was just there. I was “that guy’s friend”. I was just kinda left thinking that instead of doing the storyline maybe I will just go craft now. Oh, I’m 10 level ahead of what the storyline recommends, well ok, I’ll catch up real quick….aaaaand back to farming for crafting. Thank goodness for the awesomeness of cooking in this game. Though I think I’ll sue Anet because everytime I do cooking and discovery, (I’m around skill level 130 or so) I get very hungry and want to go fix some of those things I just crafted.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

Is anyone else disappointed that Trahearne is the one to cleanse Orr? It’s meant to be of huge significance to humanity and yet it’s a sylvari who plays the biggest part in solving the problems in the region. Are we going to see a charr lead the campaign to take down Jormag? I certainly hope not, since ‘working together’ seems to be the new excuse to erode away much of the racial identity, flavour lore and tensions that exist.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I agree, yet disagree.

Destinies Edge was handled really well, especially in the context of what they were build to be. ANet has said several times they wanted them to be a dysfunctional normal guild represented by NPCs, and thats exactly what they are, from the reliable raider, to the minmaxer, to the “bro” who “g2g gf aggro”.

Trahearne’s entry to the story for nonSylvari was somewhat weak, but as a character, I don’t find him much of a Mary Sue. While most of the other characters treat him with tons of respect, he’ll readily admit several times during the story that he has no idea whats going on, and once he realized he had no idea how to tackle his Wyld Hunt, he spent the rest of his time just running around chatting with people, and fraternizing with foreign women. That’s why he’s the leader though, all three Orders/Nation Leaders respect him greatly, while the troops respect you. Together you two can get everyone to shut up about their issues, and get them into Orr where they are needed.

There’s quite a few spoilers near the end that the Sylvari as a whole have a lot more story to tell however, so I can see why ANet set him up in that position for future storytelling as well.

Pretty much this. I actually like him a lot.

People really don’t know what a Gary Stu is if they’re comparing him to one. x.x He’s always been set up as THE guy to go to for all things Orr, especially if you play a Sylvari. All the Orders know who he is, since all of them have Sylvari placed highly in their ranks.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

in Personal Story

Sylv.5324

Is anyone else disappointed that Trahearne is the one to cleanse Orr? It’s meant to be of huge significance to humanity and yet it’s a sylvari who plays the biggest part in solving the problems in the region.

Sylvari are pretty much around to save the land, while the other races are there to save their people. Trahearne is the literal embodiment of this: unsure about everything else but his purpose, before finding his stride and fulfilling his function.

Sylvari were also stated to be the race that is there to try to smooth things between the others.

Anyway, he was created to solve the problem of Orr, while the Sylvari PC was created to get rid of the dragon— he’s got the long-term planning job, while you’re there to mow everything down.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

in Personal Story

Posted by: lacrimstein.5603

lacrimstein.5603

The “shock” that made me realize that ANet madeTrahearne hijack my personal story was during the “Forging the Pact” mission. At one point, Trahearne turns to me, asking me for advice on what to do next. “Great”, I thought, “I wonder which choices will I be presented with now?”. Instead of choosing a path for the personal story, like I did before, My character says “It’s your mission, Trahearne, you make the choice”. What???

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kristov.6724

Kristov.6724

We should start a petition…
Tybalt and Trehearne should switch places. It would benefit everyone! We'd get to lose Trehearne on Claw Island. Trehearne would get to have a moment where he did something noble, and didn't seem completely obnoxious. Tybalt would get to lead the Pact and be hilarious again. It's what Michael Scott would refer to as a win, win, win.

(edited by Kristov.6724)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

Yeah, he’s pretty bad. I think his “role” should be race specific. I’m a Sylvari, and it makes sense that he does what he does. For humans, that role should be played by a human, and so-on.

in Personal Story

Posted by: fallenguardian.2147

fallenguardian.2147

I was a little hurt being sidelined for a plant (i am a human warrior) especially after forgals epic speech after claw island. But now I just think of Trehearne has my mindless, puppet politician whom of which i control, like a true evil genius!

in Personal Story

Posted by: Sjach Darasv.3729

Sjach Darasv.3729

Playing as a necromancer doing that quest with the pale tree, I get a nice semi useable green reward and my fellow necromancer companion, a legendary greatsword thats history goes untold. Talk about a slap to the face that a necromancer has the secret ability to wield a greatsword and I have no clue how it's done. Would like to know the thought process of giving a necromancer a greatsword, a staff, scepter, something that wouldn't slap a necromancer in the face even worse than no longer being the focal point of your personal story, your a puppetmaster. But no, we have to deal with the fact that npcs with the same proffesion as our characters are better than us in that, they don't have to worry about being balanced against other players.

~Lone Shadow~

in Personal Story

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

Trehearne : " i cannot possibly be the hero we all need!"
tree: here’s a cool sword – it will make you L33T
my character: whatever gets the job done.

kind of how my experience in the tree dream story went. killing cool characters feels like Mass Effect to me, without the fun relationships.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Y u mad its vydia.6324

Y u mad its vydia.6324

Gotta say, my hatred for Trahearne is only rivaled by my hatred for Logan. Good OP, mirrors my own thoughts pretty well.

What I hated the most about him is that the Pale Tree said she’d be showing us OUR future in one particular quest, but all I got was Trahearne’s future. Welp, was great tagging along. You’ll be a hero, I’ll be as ignored as I am in this quest. So I guess it did show my future as well. I hope you die, Trahearne.

Malaakh. [EU] Desolation.

in Personal Story

Sylv.5324

I really like Trahearne!

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

in Personal Story

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

After playing through the Order of Whispers portion of my personal story, I have to say I found far more depth in the likes of Tybalt than I did in Trehearne. I despised Tybalt at first, then I came to like him. Why is that, you might ask? He had a lot of character development, even from the flavour dialogue after you’re done with his associated missions.

I also liked Demmi Beetlestone and Benn Tenstrikes. Both minor but very well done characters, so in the future can we at least see these sort of characters used in place of Trehearne? Please?

I can see where Arena Net were going with him, but too much is left unexplained. He’s meant to be a scholar, but can easily take on swarms of enemies right off the bat and…has friends and contacts in each of the three main orders in Tyria. Again, that is something left largely unexplained.

(edited by Garenthal.1480)

in Personal Story

Posted by: majik.2035

majik.2035

Throwing my hat in for hating Traeharne. Also reminds me of Kormir.

Pale Tree: “Hey Player, heard about the crazy stuff at claw island. Way to pull out an epic save though, and amazing stuff you did with your order. also sorry about your friend who believed in you enough to sacrifice themselves so you could continue to fight. Oh by the way, I have this Ancient Legendary Sword that might be of use.. soo… im just going to hand it over to this other guy who has been doing lots of studying. You two should hang out. Thanks”

Seriously? I liked the idea of playing an important role behind a commander. Made a lot more sense than other games where im supposes to be THE hero just like every other player.. but for the love of puppies not to this guy. He is knowledgeable and a born leader.. except im hearing " commander… a word.." every 5 seconds before I get sent off to check on something or rectify a situation where I return to find leaders congratulating him. And.. the only person who I have to rez more than him is Logan, but its very close. You would think that someone.. somewhere.. may learn to trust me with a super weapon… seeing as I constantly have to save the people who have them.

in Personal Story

Posted by: jaish.7925

jaish.7925

lol @ thread and continue to agree.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

I really like Trahearne!

Of course you do, everyone likes Trahearne, he knows everyone, even the most obscure races in Orr love him.

in Personal Story

Sylv.5324

He’s not Kormir. XD He’s Rurik.

And it’s well-known by all of the Orders that he’s the expert on Orr.

I also haven’t had to res him once so far, I don’t get it. He holds some aggros, he actually does damage, and he buys my mesmer self time to kill stuff. o.o;

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

in Personal Story

Posted by: Ewok.7612

Ewok.7612

I’m glad there are many like-minded people playing the game in response to the story line.

But seriously definitely Kormir. Can’t be Rurik, because the dear Ascalonian prince did get his just desserts.

I’d like to stress overall I do ADORE this game. However, there are some things I would prefer retconned or just avoided in general. I loved the idea of my character being a support: if I was developed as a support and not a wall flower to a flat character.

My hope is that in the coming fights against Kralkatorrik and Jormag that we see a deep exploration of characters. The Pact will obviously be continuing the fight, however, seeing as Trahearne’s mission is done a more appropriate commander should take the lead, if not create a Pact War Council.

It seems based on Arah explorable mode, Kralkatorrik will be the next main focus. The set-up is great, I’m already itching to continue this fantastic MMORPG, but Destiny’s Edge can be brought to a more direct light, allow them to take their vengeance on Kralkatorrik. Allow the mighty crystal Elder dragon to meet his demise on the mighty heroes he once bested.

I pray that Trahearne does not come to the realization that without his Wyld Hunt his life mission will be to continue the fight against the remaining Elder Dragons. If that happens we will be seeing this flavorless vegetable a lot more.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

I pray that Trahearne does not come to the realization that without his Wyld Hunt his life mission will be to continue the fight against the remaining Elder Dragons. If that happens we will be seeing this flavorless vegetable a lot more.

God, no! We’ve had enough Trahearne already.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I feel like in some capacity Trahearne will end up being a villain in an expansion.

Oh pleeease make this happen!

in Personal Story

Posted by: Fredacp.6389

Fredacp.6389

I completely agree that Trahearne’s introduction was lacking.

To me it just felt it was something like this:
AN guy 1: “Having 3 orders and all these different paths is being a pain, we need to converge the stories in some way to make things easier
AN guy 2: “Um… how about we kill all 3 tutors from the orders and replace them with a new guy?
AN guy 1: “Perfect!

I don’t think the character is that bad, but he should have been developed more.
He is introduced just when our tutors are killed! IMO that’s not a coincidence.

I guess something that really would have made things better is making him appear on the early stages of the order’s quests.
For instance: our tutor says that we need information from an expert to deal with risen or something like that, then we get introduced to Trahearne and he helps us.
Then on Claw island the transition would be more understandable.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Fredacp.6389

Fredacp.6389

I feel that having the Destiny’s Edge play the leading role Trahearne did would have made a lot more sense.
They represent all races of Tyria, all the diversity, but still they are together to overcome a challenge. That would show that only with all races united we can accomplish something like killing an elder dragon.

Trahearne could even still be there as a leader, because its his “destiny” but he shouldn’t get all the credit, it should be given to all races, to their alliance.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Echo.2087

Echo.2087

Trahearne wasn’t a very good character, but I think a lot of people here are forgetting something vital in regards to him “taking over your story”. Perhaps it’s because he is not particularly likeable, so I don’t blame you.

There is a lot of room for improvement in the story, particularly making your past decisions matter more… but I also feel that by taking somewhat of a back seat to Trahearne, this gives you, and your character, greater heights to aspire to in the future. Your personal story is meant to represent your character growing in legend and becoming a hero. You start off taking care of personal business and helping your nation, then one of the three orders in the world working to defeat Zhaitan, then you help form a massive army comprised of these three orders with the help of Trahearne.

There are a few elder dragons yet, and a lot of the world has yet to be released – there will doubtless be more to your personal story. By making you work alongside Trahearne and share in the glory, you still have room to grow and take center stage. For those that finished the story, you’ve become something of a world-renowned hero alongside Trahearne and Destiny’s Edge. The story and NPCs could reflect this fact more, and there is a lot of room for improvement in the writing and making your decisions matter, but as far as Trahearne and Destiny’s Edge goes, I’d say if ArenaNet plays it right, it could simply be another step in developing your story – not the final one.