Turn off Dynamic Scaling in personal stories

in Personal Story

Posted by: Nycthemeron.7690

Nycthemeron.7690

If you are all gung-ho “I can kill the elder dragons at level 20 with my leet dodging skills” then rooty toot toot for you, you can do the personal story as the levels dictate. If you are like me and for whatever reason the difficulty is just way to freaking high, then you can wait 5 or 10 or 20 levels and then do the personal quests.

They are supposed to be personal. Let them maybe even be sort of customized.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Zish.9817

Zish.9817

I’m not entirely sure what you’re saying.

If you’re complaining about the difficulty, there is a thread where you can point out a specific quest which you’ve had trouble with.

Yes, most people agree that a lot of the story quests pre-Orr are overtuned, but they are still doable.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Nycthemeron.7690

Nycthemeron.7690

What I am saying is to not down-scale me to level 45 and put me in a room full of level 45 mobs. Fill the room with level 45 mobs. If the player wants to tackle it at level 45 (or 40, or whatever) groovy. If, like myself, you’d rather not be quite so challenged then wait for a few levels and then take on the room full of level 45 mobs.

Again, this is about personal stories. There are no “balance” issues here. The only thing that needs to be “balanced” in a personal story is my enjoyment of the game.

in Personal Story

Posted by: mangarrage.1062

mangarrage.1062

I personally do not see the point. The game is supposed to be scaled level by level. Doing stories 5 or 10 levels above the mobs what would be the point?
So an 80 could do a story meant for a level 40 at 80 and fight level 40 mobs? I don’t see why anyone would want this

in Personal Story

Posted by: Greyfeld.7104

Greyfeld.7104

I personally do not see the point. The game is supposed to be scaled level by level. Doing stories 5 or 10 levels above the mobs what would be the point?
So an 80 could do a story meant for a level 40 at 80 and fight level 40 mobs? I don’t see why anyone would want this

Because some people care more about watching the story than they do about facing difficult/challenging content.

The point of the sidekicking system was to allow players to go into lower level zones, and still participate in events alongside other players, instead of coming in and steamrolling them, to the detriment of everybody. Personal Stories, however, don’t have involve the community, only the single player himself, so there’s no reason to sidekick them down to a lower level.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

You can still group up to do stories, and if there was no sidekicking:
- A L1 character and a L80 could steamroll all of the story steps, giving the L1 a large amount of XP and items
- Even solo, the lower level story steps would be totally trivialized, and one-hitting the “big bad” villains would feel pretty laughable

in Personal Story

Posted by: Sangrael.1698

Sangrael.1698

So did you design the game for the players, or for the devs? While I had zero problems on my warrior and I typically did missions 2-3 levels early, my ranger struggled a bit and I would have over leveled a bit for some of the more difficult missions to compensate. Also, you have to walk to each of the mission locations, so while the level 80 could steamroll the content, they’re still having to babysit the lower level. And the only people doing that would be people with multiple accounts (more money for you) or people power leveling friends so they could run more content with them. Since there’s no sub, I can’t see a downside to either concept. If anything I would love to be able to help my friend’s level faster that way, since we’re all middle aged, most married, and the majority don’t have as much free time as I do. I fail to see a real downside to disabling sidekicking in personal stories. Those who want the challenge would still do the missions early or at level, and those struggling would do them later with a level boost to help. I fail to see how forcing casual players to seek help to finish their “solo” player missions is in your best interest.

in Personal Story

Posted by: evilishu.9318

evilishu.9318

I agree with everyone to some extent here. I hate paying for repairs from the personal story when the rewards are lower level than what I can make or am wearing to survive the encounter. Suggestion to the devs, turn off damaging equipment during personal story. Give players choice of “normal” or “story” modes. Story mode could entail killing three to five specific mobs per phase between cutscenes, then move on. Those mobs could be marked with the green star. But bringing “Reimagining endgame” through the personal story to people who never intended to “raid” in the first place could be a turn-off. I understand that we don’t pay a monthly fee and cost-wise once we buy the game that’s all the money you can count on, but don’t run us out of town with a difficulty level that makes your fantastic game become a burden to play.

in Personal Story

Greyfeld.7104

You can still group up to do stories, and if there was no sidekicking:
- A L1 character and a L80 could steamroll all of the story steps, giving the L1 a large amount of XP and items
- Even solo, the lower level story steps would be totally trivialized, and one-hitting the “big bad” villains would feel pretty laughable

I don’t see why either of these are a problem.

Putting aside the fact that you’d have a level 1 having to make it alive through hostile terrain much higher level than him for many of the story arcs (unlikely), fast level progression just doesn’t feel that unbalanced to me. You’re not getting any unfair advantage over any other player in the game. And who the hell is going to go through this sort of pain in the butt to powerlevel somebody?

The trivialization of story content is a larger concern, but not by much. The NPCs already go out of their way to fawn all over you and tell you how amazing and heroic you are. The very least they can do is make it easier to feel heroic, rather than dying over and over again, then having to endure the hero worship that suddenly seems far more sarcastic than originally intended.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Habanero.9384

Habanero.9384

I’ll second that. without downscaling (for ps only) I would gain control
again over the difficulty I like to face in my personal story.
After all it’s my story, so no harm done to anybody else.

If I want to spoil my challenges in my personal story let me do it.

This will be a thousand times better than getting downscaled into oblivion
and kittened over and over by groups/waves of npcs and dieing ’til
I have to fight naked.

Please!

(edited by Habanero.9384)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Cina Reas.6938

Cina Reas.6938

Trahearne says NO. You have not earned the right to enjoy your story.

Grind Wars 2; the game that ate my brain.

in Personal Story

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

5-10 levels over didn’t work for me. i had a better “chance” doing the lv48 one as level 80. i still ended up zerging the rest of the storyline until i gave up at lv79 one.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Shannon.9583

Shannon.9583

What I am saying is to not down-scale me to level 45 and put me in a room full of level 45 mobs. Fill the room with level 45 mobs. If the player wants to tackle it at level 45 (or 40, or whatever) groovy. If, like myself, you’d rather not be quite so challenged then wait for a few levels and then take on the room full of level 45 mobs.

Again, this is about personal stories. There are no “balance” issues here. The only thing that needs to be “balanced” in a personal story is my enjoyment of the game.

Actually this would hurt balance badly.

You’d have high level toons burning down storyline quests (and others likely) for low level players. That would be totally exploitable, unfair, and game ruining.

Please devs, don’t ever do this.

The solo missions are easy if you just wait a few levels to do them. Yes you will de-level, but your gear and skill will be much better.

A level 80 playing in a 45 zone is far more powerful than a level 45 playing there.

This systems works, please don’t change it.

Instead, they need to look at individual missions and tune them if they were set too hard. Far better to take a careful look at this than make a blanket nerf on the whole thing.

in Personal Story

Greyfeld.7104

Actually this would hurt balance badly.

You’d have high level toons burning down storyline quests (and others likely) for low level players. That would be totally exploitable, unfair, and game ruining.

Please devs, don’t ever do this.

The solo missions are easy if you just wait a few levels to do them. Yes you will de-level, but your gear and skill will be much better.

A level 80 playing in a 45 zone is far more powerful than a level 45 playing there.

This systems works, please don’t change it.

Instead, they need to look at individual missions and tune them if they were set too hard. Far better to take a careful look at this than make a blanket nerf on the whole thing.

I’d love to hear your reasoning as to why other players being speedrun through their personal stories by higher level players effects you in the slightest.